Author Topic: Gag Criticism, Variation, and Packaging  (Read 640247 times)

Offline MoldRush

Re: Gag Criticism, Variation, and Packaging
« Reply #1400 on: November 02, 2018, 05:07:08 PM »
Agree completely with Zenergizer on this one.  These long slender packages are always challenging, and although the artists would usually distort the shape shorter and fatter to create more room for artwork, it’s still challenging to embellish all that much.  But the use of the exposed rubber tires instead of tablets really makes Rolaches more interesting than it could have been.

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #1401 on: November 03, 2018, 02:35:07 AM »
I always kind of liked Rolaches.  The gag and taglines seem a little disjointed, but it just has great eye appeal.

Offline Swiski

« Reply #1402 on: November 10, 2018, 03:50:29 AM »
Smoocher's and Smucker's. Looks like the parody uses the Peach Preserves flavor. Anyone have a larger image to post than my low-res?

« Last Edit: November 10, 2018, 03:53:09 AM by Swiski »

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #1403 on: November 10, 2018, 06:48:18 AM »
Smoocher's and Smucker's. Looks like the parody uses the Peach Preserves flavor. Anyone have a larger image to post than my low-res?

This is a great wacky - the gag is wonderful, the tag line with smacks fits perfectly, the jar is awesome, and they even fit in the kissing characters, which are also very well rendered.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2018, 06:50:03 AM by RawGoo »

Offline Swiski

« Reply #1404 on: November 18, 2018, 05:10:22 AM »
Scary Lee Screamberry cheesecake and Sara Lee Strawberry cheesecake. Would love a larger image of the real product! Anyone?

Offline Zenergizer

« Reply #1405 on: November 18, 2018, 07:45:19 AM »
strange, but this one never did anything for me.  Maybe the thought of that ooey red gooey stuff, not sure?

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #1406 on: November 18, 2018, 11:15:02 AM »
strange, but this one never did anything for me.  Maybe the thought of that ooey red gooey stuff, not sure?

I always loved this one!  It all seemed to mesh, and I guess I also liked the vampire.

Offline Fanatical_and_Sickly

• Administrator
« Reply #1407 on: November 18, 2018, 04:11:05 PM »
It's a nice one, especially the tin foil pan, but the half of the lid that is lifted up makes no sense at all. It's really awkward. The lettering looks like the lid piece is still flat, but the lid must be curved upward. Except the berries are on it, which can't be right.

Offline Baked Bears

« Reply #1408 on: November 18, 2018, 05:43:13 PM »
It's a nice one, especially the tin foil pan, but the half of the lid that is lifted up makes no sense at all. It's really awkward. The lettering looks like the lid piece is still flat, but the lid must be curved upward. Except the berries are on it, which can't be right.

I'm not so sure if the "half of the lid lifted up" is actually half of a lid lifted up.  It mimics the same "horn" shape in the same spot on the original lid.  Even so, I do wonder what became of the part of the lid in question.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2018, 03:41:54 AM by Baked Bears »

Offline MoldRush

« Reply #1409 on: November 19, 2018, 02:30:57 AM »
I don’t remember firsthand what the packaging was really like, but from the image in the coupon it looks like the whole circular top comes off when you open the crimped edge of the aluminum pan, like a standard takeout/leftovers container.  The partially torn open section in the parody was probably just a creative way to add some flair to the art - some “bloody” looking fruit, while leaving enough space to show all the other usual elements of the parody.  That’s how I always perceived it anyway.

Offline Swiski

« Reply #1410 on: November 19, 2018, 05:03:04 AM »
The coupon has a 1970 expiration date in the text, so the real packaging was most likely updated slightly when the 8th series parody was created, which is at least 4 years later. Screamberry is in a cursive font on the parody and its possible the "blade" on the parody reflected (no pun intended) a foil metallic area on the real packaging where the Sara Lee logo is.

Offline Swiski

« Reply #1411 on: November 22, 2018, 07:00:25 PM »
Kong Fu, Kung Fu and Kung Fu Redux (from the 80th Anniversary Online POD set)

Offline freetoes

« Reply #1412 on: November 24, 2018, 11:13:58 AM »
Yicks and Vicks. What happened to the "I" in "Wheeze Recommend It"? Looks like a "V" on the sticker image I found. The "O" looks weird too. Problems with Letraset rub-down lettering! They didn't fix the error on the 1979 reprint either.

That was the story I heard. The press-on "I" slipped a bit, and formed a "V" with the painted one underneath. (Up close, you see that the vertical stroke is a little lighter.) I never noticed before how the "O" looks misaligned.

During college days, I added a press-on "F" to a door marked "UTILITY" in my dorm. Within the last few years, a colleague whose daughter lived in the same residence hall reported that it was still there.

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #1413 on: November 24, 2018, 11:30:49 AM »
During college days, I added a press-on "F" to a door marked "UTILITY" in my dorm. Within the last few years, a colleague whose daughter lived in the same residence hall reported that it was still there.

Too funny!!!

Offline MoldRush

« Reply #1414 on: November 28, 2018, 02:17:12 AM »

I had no knowledge of the TV show or card set back in the day so this title didn’t have the wow factor for me, but my appreciation of it has grown with time.  What impresses me looking at the product and parody side-by-side is how the character in the parody still looks exactly like the actor (Carradine).  That’s nice work.

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #1415 on: November 28, 2018, 02:25:06 AM »

I thought this was a pretty good gag; not sure what else they could have done with it.  They certainly nailed the art!

Offline Swiski

« Reply #1416 on: November 29, 2018, 05:43:11 AM »
Hardly-Wrap and Handi-Wrap...

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #1417 on: November 29, 2018, 02:09:57 PM »
Hardly-Wrap and Handi-Wrap...

I never got this gag.  And, there's something wrong with the perspective of the top of the box - the red tag isn't slanted at all.

Of all the "wraps" they did, this is probably my least favorite.  I will say, the hands are nicely painted.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2018, 02:11:40 PM by RawGoo »

Offline Swiski

« Reply #1418 on: December 06, 2018, 08:35:26 PM »
Here's the final 8th series sticker comparison - Suffertone and Coppertone...

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #1419 on: December 07, 2018, 03:22:08 AM »
Here's the final 8th series sticker comparison - Suffertone and Coppertone...

To me, this one is like Cram - backwards.  It's a sunburn potion, so it should CAUSE a fast sunburn, and pain, right?  And blisters, etc.

Offline Swiski

« Reply #1420 on: December 07, 2018, 05:25:24 AM »
To me, this one is like Cram - backwards.  It's a sunburn potion, so it should CAUSE a fast sunburn, and pain, right?  And blisters, etc.

I agree! It should say "Causes" not "Prevents" LOL!

Offline sco(o)t

• Looking:Postcard Ser4 BUGWEISER Smokin' Joe sketch
« Reply #1421 on: December 07, 2018, 11:47:01 AM »

Agreed. This one seems to have fallen a bit short on several counts. 
aka Scot Leibacher (no trademark)

Offline MoldRush

« Reply #1422 on: December 08, 2018, 06:15:46 PM »
Also notice how the lettering along the bottom edges fails to curve with the bottle.  Someone must have stuck on those stencil letters after Saunders’ work was done.  I have to think he wouldn’t have painted it like that.

Offline Swiski

« Reply #1423 on: December 09, 2018, 11:20:55 AM »
Kicking off the original 9th series - here is 6-Urp and 7-Up...

Offline MoldRush

« Reply #1424 on: December 09, 2018, 04:41:31 PM »
Always nice to see a familiar product spoofed, but there’s not much you can do with such a simple product name.  Maybe if “7” was spelled out as a word it would open up some other possibilities, like “Heaven’s Up” or something like that.  But “6 Urp”?  “6 Up”?  Meh.

Also would look cooler if the version of the can with “7 UP” spelled out in little white circles was used.  Not sure if that version ran earlier or later than this one.

Offline mikecho

« Reply #1425 on: December 09, 2018, 04:51:56 PM »
Always nice to see a familiar product spoofed, but there’s not much you can do with such a simple product name.  Maybe if “7” was spelled out as a word it would open up some other possibilities, like “Heaven’s Up” or something like that.  But “6 Urp”?  “6 Up”?  Meh.

Also would look cooler if the version of the can with “7 UP” spelled out in little white circles was used.  Not sure if that version ran earlier or later than this one.
According to the rough art that I saw on this one, it was originally going to be "7 Urp", not "6 Urp".
« Last Edit: December 10, 2018, 11:05:18 AM by mikecho »

Offline Baked Bears

« Reply #1426 on: December 10, 2018, 04:00:51 AM »
I prefer the later 7-Pup gag.  Seems to be stronger IMO and has more going for it.

« Last Edit: December 10, 2018, 04:03:00 AM by Baked Bears »

Offline Swiski

« Reply #1427 on: December 10, 2018, 04:46:02 AM »
I prefer the later 7-Pup gag.  Seems to be stronger IMO and has more going for it.

Anyone want a plush 7-Pup can for their pup to chew on?
https://www.baxterboo.com/p.cfm/lulubelles-power-plush-dog-toy-7-pup-can

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #1428 on: December 10, 2018, 09:54:19 AM »
Kicking off the original 9th series - here is 6-Urp and 7-Up...

The gag's not bad, and the belching and burpy ounces taglines fit in.  "The Gassy One" tagline I always figured was making fun of "The Uncola," but maybe not.  The top of the can is really good, as is the text, which curves well with the can.  The proportions of the can are sort of off, which bugs me, but a narrower can would have wrecked the The Gassy One line.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2018, 09:56:39 AM by RawGoo »

Offline MoldRush

« Reply #1429 on: December 10, 2018, 05:11:08 PM »
Good point about the can proportions, Pat.  This one looks quite a bit fatter than other soda can Wackys, and probably unnecessarily so.  Usually the distorted package shapes are not so distracting, but some are real doozies, like Tipsy Roll Pop.  Is it better to go to extremes to accommodate products the creators really want to parody, or pass them over for better package shapes?  A question for the ages.  I guess the latter approach would have given us a lot more cereal boxes!

Offline Jean Nutty

« Reply #1430 on: December 10, 2018, 05:24:58 PM »

The proportions of the can are sort of off, which bugs me, but a narrower can would have wrecked the The Gassy One line.

The can proportions have always been puzzling, but if a fat can is part of the gassy gag, that quells my OCD  :-[

Offline Swiski

« Reply #1431 on: December 13, 2018, 05:25:57 PM »
None-in-One Pigpen Oil and 3-in-One Household Oil...

Offline MoldRush

« Reply #1432 on: December 13, 2018, 05:34:41 PM »
I kinda like this one.  Familiar product around the house growing up, and the pig humor works well.  Little snout at the top a nice touch.  Interestingly, it’s listed as “Pigpen Oil” on the checklist, but should really be called “None-In-One Oil”, or “None-In-One Pigpen Oil”, if checklist space allows.

Offline Swiski

« Reply #1433 on: December 17, 2018, 11:39:35 AM »
Kick A Man Boy Sauce and Kikkoman Soy Sauce...

« Last Edit: December 17, 2018, 11:57:14 AM by Swiski »

Offline mikecho

« Reply #1434 on: December 17, 2018, 12:33:36 PM »
I kinda like this one.  Familiar product around the house growing up, and the pig humor works well.  Little snout at the top a nice touch.  Interestingly, it’s listed as “Pigpen Oil” on the checklist, but should really be called “None-In-One Oil”, or “None-In-One Pigpen Oil”, if checklist space allows.
Which, IIRC, it didn't.

anything