Author Topic: Gag Criticism, Variation, and Packaging  (Read 646378 times)

Offline DrSushi

Re: Gag Criticism, Variation, and Packaging
« Reply #1295 on: August 17, 2018, 06:04:42 PM »

When you find this much of something going on, what might have been considered coincidence instead begins to point toward obsession.  Perhaps someone gave Jay and/or Norm a head's up that their heads might be on the chopping block and this was their way of trying to head things off?

Ha! I see what you did there!

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #1296 on: August 18, 2018, 04:55:22 AM »
Lipoff and Lipton. I always felt bad for those poor fish!

I never got this one.  "Lipoff" could have been good if there was something sharp in the soup, and then it could have been "Cup-a-Sharp" and maybe Broken Glass Soup.  Then the tagline about burning yourself in an instant could have been "cut yourself" in an instant, eliminating the reference to boiling water, which never made sense to me, and then it could be "6 shards per serving." 

"Cup-a-Slop" could have worked with junk, or sludge in the soup, but that, too, wouldn't really have gone with the other taglines.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2018, 06:50:25 AM by RawGoo »

Offline Swiski

« Reply #1297 on: August 19, 2018, 05:06:42 AM »
Baked Bears - funny observation on the bodieless heads! Maybe Topps was just playing head games with the artists

I agree with the other comments on the joke that doesn't seem to work with what's going on in the illustration. A few chicken heads with X eyes and tongues hanging out would have been better than the fish. Regarding the artwork, the spout missing the cracked mug and pouring on the table is a nice parody of the original box photo.

Offline Swiski

« Reply #1298 on: August 19, 2018, 05:10:23 AM »
Up next is Scorch and Scope. Fire must be the hardest thing to illustrate accurately. Something doesn't look right with the flames. I like the Godzilla illustration in the bottle's oval indentation.

Offline Baked Bears

« Reply #1299 on: August 19, 2018, 09:11:50 AM »
I agree about the flames.  They do look odd and remind me in a sense of animal hair (specially the flames coming from the top of the bottle,) albeit red, orange, and yellow.  Even so, the gag still comes across.

Fire - or should I say flames - are, indeed, probably very difficult to capture.  Even on television and in movies, flames (such as those in a fireplace, campfire, or even candles on a birthday cake) never quite look right to me.  They always appear too white and lack the subtle nuances of ever-shifting, flickering flames that one witnesses firsthand.  I suppose one way to compensate for this (in painting) would be to add more color such as orange and even red, but then you run the risk of creating a cartoonish-looking fire which is what we have in "Scorch" or "Blisterine."

Below is a photograph of a campfire.  Not a bad picture, however if we were there in person, those flames would look quite different.  They certainly wouldn't be white.  (When has anyone ever seen white fire?)  And I strongly doubt the flames would be red, either.  Yeah, I'd say that fire would even present a challenge to the best of artists.

Offline Baked Bears

« Reply #1300 on: August 19, 2018, 09:18:11 AM »
Baked Bears - funny observation on the bodieless heads! Maybe Topps was just playing head games with the artists?

Or maybe Jay was reading too much Alice in Wonderland?

Offline Swiski

« Reply #1301 on: August 20, 2018, 03:21:49 PM »
Here's a fun one! Hostile Thinkies and Hostess Twinkies. The "Blow Your Mind" tagline seems a little morbid in today's world with all the gun violence, showing the two heads with exploded craniums.

Offline Baked Bears

« Reply #1302 on: August 20, 2018, 06:00:00 PM »
This and "All-Brain" are up there among my favorites.  Gotta love pink brain matter!

Offline Bigmuc13

« Reply #1303 on: August 23, 2018, 08:25:03 AM »
This and "All-Brain" are up there among my favorites.  Gotta love pink brain matter!

OK, maybe I have always been a little slow, but I never really understood the "Free!  Antidote inside!" tag line.  Antidote to what?  What I am missing here? Anyone's wisdom here would be appreciated!
Still looking for Series 17

Offline sco(o)t

• Looking:Postcard Ser4 BUGWEISER Smokin' Joe sketch
« Reply #1304 on: August 23, 2018, 12:28:31 PM »
OK, maybe I have always been a little slow, but I never really understood the "Free!  Antidote inside!" tag line.  Antidote to what?  What I am missing here? Anyone's wisdom here would be appreciated!

Antidote to the All-Brain itself, so I always assumed. 
aka Scot Leibacher (no trademark)

Offline Brian Mc

« Reply #1305 on: August 23, 2018, 02:05:18 PM »
I always assumed that Kooloffs was more of a play on the Boris Karloff name than Kellogg's. Is there a connection to a Boris Karloff movie about brains that I'm missing?? Maybe the "antidote" is in reference to that?

Not a horror fan, so, I got nothing  :-\
Brian Mc

Offline MoldRush

« Reply #1306 on: August 23, 2018, 04:56:54 PM »
Probably next to impossible to know exactly why they chose those words, but it sounds like you guys are in the ballpark.  Maybe the specific box used in the parody had a prize with a yellow starburst, and they just switched the prize description to something ghoulish-sounding, in keeping with the macabre theme of brain matter.  On the other hand, it's unlikely that All-Bran ever offered a prize; you couldn't get any further from a kiddie cereal with that choice.  Probably was just done to jazz up an otherwise extremely bland box design.

Offline Swiski

« Reply #1307 on: August 26, 2018, 06:44:01 AM »
Here's a fun one! Hostile Thinkies and Hostess Twinkies. The "Blow Your Mind" tagline seems a little morbid in today's world with all the gun violence, showing the two heads with exploded craniums.

I've always liked this one because of all the colors. The two heads reminded me of an animated short from either Sesame Street or the Electric Company where two cartoon heads talked about the smog and fog. The transparent plastic sealed bag is a nice rendering. I found the correct matching package, but its a little older and the logo is a bit different, so I found the correct logo used later on.

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #1308 on: August 26, 2018, 07:56:03 AM »
Antidote to the All-Brain itself, so I always assumed.

Same here.

Offline Baked Bears

« Reply #1309 on: August 26, 2018, 10:01:56 AM »
I always assumed that Kooloffs was more of a play on the Boris Karloff name than Kellogg's. Is there a connection to a Boris Karloff movie about brains that I'm missing?

Frankenstein.  The monster (Karloff) ends up with an abnormal brain after the hunchbacked assistant, Fritz, drops a glass jar containing the normal brain he was sent to steal.

Offline Swiski

« Reply #1310 on: August 26, 2018, 02:35:50 PM »
Continuing with the 8th series - Cheep and Cheer detergent. Also shown is Sneer from the 6th Series for additional comparison...

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #1311 on: August 27, 2018, 03:58:44 AM »
I think Cheep is a great gag, and the tagline and bird fit in just perfectly.  They also nailed the box.

Offline Baked Bears

« Reply #1312 on: August 27, 2018, 05:47:00 AM »
I think Cheep is a great gag, and the tagline and bird fit in just perfectly.  They also nailed the box.

I agree.  My vote is for "Cheep."

Offline bigtomi

« Reply #1313 on: August 27, 2018, 03:08:26 PM »
Frankenstein.  The monster (Karloff) ends up with an abnormal brain after the hunchbacked assistant, Fritz, drops a glass jar containing the normal brain he was sent to steal.
Abby something...

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #1314 on: August 27, 2018, 05:01:05 PM »
Abby something...

Gotta love Marty Feldman's Igor.

Offline Brian Mc

« Reply #1315 on: August 28, 2018, 04:24:09 AM »
Gotta love Marty Feldman's Igor.

What hump?
Brian Mc

Offline BustedFinger

• Just a simple collector. No books, no websites, no arguments!
  • I wonder where this text will appear?
« Reply #1316 on: August 28, 2018, 09:13:25 AM »
Gotta love those Wonderful Knockers too!
Giving "The Hobby" the finger since 1999!

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #1317 on: August 28, 2018, 02:47:15 PM »

Offline mikecho

« Reply #1318 on: August 28, 2018, 06:23:58 PM »

"Blow one's mind" was an example of 1970s slang. It'd be like "Mind blown!" today.

Offline Swiski

« Reply #1319 on: September 02, 2018, 11:45:15 AM »
Next up...Paid and Raid.

Offline Baked Bears

« Reply #1320 on: September 02, 2018, 01:37:12 PM »
More gangstas!  I really don't know what kind of reception this one would get today, though I'm sure kids would still love it.

Offline Swiski

« Reply #1321 on: September 02, 2018, 02:03:38 PM »
More gangstas!  I really don't know what kind of reception this one would get today, though I'm sure kids would still love it.

Gangstas were probably a cool topic at the time due to the success of the Godfather movies.

Offline Swiski

« Reply #1322 on: September 06, 2018, 05:17:07 PM »
Combatting crickets!! Here is Hopeless Snow Balls and Hostess Sno Balls...

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #1323 on: September 06, 2018, 07:01:40 PM »
Next up...Paid and Raid.

I kind of like this gag, and they nailed the can while adding a cool bug.The taglines go along well.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2018, 07:12:51 PM by RawGoo »

Offline vahsurfer

« Reply #1324 on: September 08, 2018, 07:05:35 AM »

Online Alexeirex

Re: Gag Criticism and Variation
« Reply #1325 on: September 08, 2018, 11:33:44 AM »
The original Ditch Brothers! At The Rijksmuseum!
Alex

I guess the bad computer thing was a one day conundrum..

Wacky Ads #22 - Ditch Masters

Ditch Masters
Cheap Cigars
Ditchdiggers favorite smoke

Real Product
Dutch Masters
Cigars

Offline mikecho

« Reply #1326 on: September 08, 2018, 12:27:58 PM »
Gangstas were probably a cool topic at the time due to the success of the Godfather movies.
I agree. In fact, I've always thought that if The Godfather Part III had been made in the 1970s-say, 1976-it would've done much better than it did when it was finally made.

Offline koduck

• Administrator
  • Make it snappy!
« Reply #1327 on: September 08, 2018, 01:13:30 PM »

Ha! I'm still kind of amazed that they approved this one!

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #1328 on: September 08, 2018, 01:26:41 PM »
Ha! I'm still kind of amazed that they approved this one!

It's fantastic!

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #1329 on: September 08, 2018, 01:28:38 PM »
Combatting crickets!! Here is Hopeless Snow Balls and Hostess Sno Balls...

A cricket kept me up most of last night.......

As for Hopeless, I really like this gag, and prefer it to Hostage.  Nicely done package and tagline.

anything