Author Topic: Gag Criticism, Variation, and Packaging  (Read 134834 times)

Offline sco(o)t

• Looking for a WP 2018 Chad Scheres auto card
Re: Gag Criticism, Variation, and Packaging
« Reply #1155 on: June 05, 2018, 01:19:06 PM »
Not be a bad gag, and the art is OK, with a nice leaky car, but this one never grabbed me.  Maybe because there was no character?  I also didn't recognize the product.

I always liked this one because my father was one of those guys that changed his oil and filter every 3 months. I bet I handed at least 20 of these Lee oil filters to him over the years. So high recognition in our household. With some WPs, the gag is a stretch but this one is "spot" on. Oil spot that is.
aka Scot Leibacher (no trademark)

Offline Swiski

« Reply #1156 on: June 08, 2018, 11:46:41 AM »
Another cigar parody....El Polluto and El Producto.

Offline Zenergizer

« Reply #1157 on: June 08, 2018, 04:24:32 PM »
Continued thank for sharing these.  There are several (including this one) that I never
knew the original product.

Makes one appreciate all the great artwork that went into these!

Offline DrSushi

« Reply #1158 on: June 08, 2018, 05:22:24 PM »
Continued thank for sharing these.  There are several (including this one) that I never

I agree, this is one of my favorite threads. Thanks!

I'm sure this has been noted many times before, but I just noticed the extra "T" on the top of the box (POLUTTO) and that the last "O" is offset slightly above the other letters on the front of the box and looks a bit larger or has a different font than the first "O".

Offline MoldRush

« Reply #1159 on: June 08, 2018, 05:39:00 PM »

I second, er, third that notion!  Before this thread started, I relied on the lostwackys website as the best one-stop-shopping resource for real product images alongside their respective parodies.  While there are many accurate matches there, probably 20 to 30% feature either much newer versions of the product, grainy images, or other less-than optimum results on the real product.  The contributors to this thread really try to nail each and every image, which enhances ones appreciation of the art and the overall process of developing a good Wacky.  This to me is really what the hobby is all about - relating fond memories and looking for ways to appreciate and enjoy them even more.  It also brings individual titles which we may have under-appreciated in the past, into a new light.  I'm still blown away by Emptimo/Optimo.  Well done!

Offline Swiski

« Reply #1160 on: June 08, 2018, 07:37:50 PM »
I agree, this is one of my favorite threads. Thanks!

I'm sure this has been noted many times before, but I just noticed the extra "T" on the top of the box (POLUTTO) and that the last "O" is offset slightly above the other letters on the front of the box and looks a bit larger or has a different font than the first "O".

Great observation on the top of the box! Never noticed that error before.

Offline Swiski

« Reply #1161 on: June 08, 2018, 07:44:12 PM »
I'm glad people are enjoying this thread, and it's a personal thrill to contribute to it, hunting down images of matching packaging, or at least as close as possible. I can't take credit for starting this thread, so I thank the person who did. I also give credit to people like Gregg Koenig and Jason Liebig who purchased some of these packages and shot nice photos of them. When I was little, my older brother gave me stacks of his extra Wackies, and I loved going through the aisles of the grocery store finding the real packaging to compare it to the parody. So this brings back fond memories!
« Last Edit: June 08, 2018, 07:47:31 PM by Swiski »

Offline DrSushi

« Reply #1162 on: June 08, 2018, 07:50:12 PM »
Great observation on the top of the box! Never noticed that error before.

And the side of the box says "5 SOGGY CIGARS" while the bottom front of the box says "5 SMOGGY CIGARS". Obviously, smoggy works better with the pollution theme, but the cigar itself does look a bit soggy.

Offline Swiski

« Reply #1163 on: June 11, 2018, 05:00:02 AM »
Speaking of Soggy....Soggy Babies and Sugar Babies...

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #1164 on: June 11, 2018, 05:09:44 AM »

I always liked this one, and the funny character livens up an otherwise dull package.  Good tagline taking advantage of the advertising for M&Ms.  I still call these by the Wacky name.

Offline Swiski

« Reply #1165 on: June 13, 2018, 04:59:45 AM »
Oh Hairy! and Oh Henry!...

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #1166 on: June 13, 2018, 05:16:39 AM »
Oh Hairy! and Oh Henry!...

This one is even better than Soggy Babies!  I love the hippy, and he goes so well with the fantastic gag.  Funny taglines, too.  I wouldn't change a thing.

« Reply #1167 on: June 13, 2018, 07:47:12 AM »
Another Nabisco.

I liked this one and the following Oh Hairy!, but wish they both had Saunders characters, as I think would improve them both just that little bit more.

Offline Alexeirex

« Reply #1168 on: June 13, 2018, 09:51:39 AM »
I always liked this one, and the funny character livens up an otherwise dull package.  Good tagline taking advantage of the advertising for M&Ms.  I still call these by the Wacky name.

I do the same thing - sometimes without realizing it!!! Hawaiian Punks, Dampers, etc...

Offline Swiski

« Reply #1169 on: June 15, 2018, 11:55:08 AM »
Sorry Wrap and Saran Wrap. Anyone have a better image of the real package. The one I found looks a bit older and the title is all capital letters.

Searching for "Saran Wrap" was fun on Flickr. Lots of...um...interesting photos there!

« Last Edit: June 15, 2018, 12:00:43 PM by Swiski »

Offline sco(o)t

• Looking for a WP 2018 Chad Scheres auto card
« Reply #1170 on: June 15, 2018, 01:36:47 PM »
Sorry Wrap and Saran Wrap. Anyone have a better image of the real package. The one I found looks a bit older and the title is all capital letters.

Searching for "Saran Wrap" was fun on Flickr. Lots of...um...interesting photos there!

The lettering is closer but color scheme is off. They sure changed this packaging a lot. I saw at least 10 different box designs in three pages of a Google image search.

aka Scot Leibacher (no trademark)

« Reply #1171 on: June 15, 2018, 02:28:59 PM »
The lettering is closer but color scheme is off. They sure changed this packaging a lot. I saw at least 10 different box designs in three pages of a Google image search.
that's crazy how many different looks that box had.
here's another close one, but the DOW is a blue diamond, not red

Offline Swiski

« Reply #1172 on: June 18, 2018, 04:51:31 AM »
Feetena and Wheatena. I always thought this was a parody of Farina since Wheatena wasn't a cereal common in our area.

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #1173 on: June 18, 2018, 05:05:52 AM »
Feetena and Wheatena. I always thought this was a parody of Farina since Wheatena wasn't a cereal common in our area.

This one always made me laugh.  Good gag, they matched the packaging, and managed to get a character in, too.

Offline Jean Nutty

« Reply #1174 on: June 18, 2018, 07:41:02 AM »
Steve's great avatar . . .

anything