Author Topic: Gag Criticism, Variation, and Packaging  (Read 640486 times)

Offline Swiski

Re: Gag Criticism, Variation, and Packaging
« Reply #1085 on: May 01, 2018, 05:11:31 AM »
Which one of these products did Roger Daltrey sit in a bathtub full of...Hurtz Bears or Heinz Beans?

Offline sco(o)t

• Looking:Postcard Ser4 BUGWEISER Smokin' Joe sketch
« Reply #1086 on: May 01, 2018, 11:38:58 AM »
Which one of these products did Roger Daltrey sit in a bathtub full of...Hurtz Bears or Heinz Beans?

Must have been Heinz because he wasn't "bear" at the time.  :]
aka Scot Leibacher (no trademark)

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #1087 on: May 01, 2018, 01:33:42 PM »

Offline Baked Bears

« Reply #1088 on: May 01, 2018, 04:12:27 PM »

Now this is what it's all about!  I'm gushing tears of joy!

Offline Swiski

« Reply #1089 on: May 02, 2018, 04:38:00 AM »
Now this is what it's all about!  I'm gushing tears of joy!

Glad I made your day! I like that they used the green texture and bowl imagery from the Vegetarian Beans can. Otherwise it might have been a dull parody.

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #1090 on: May 02, 2018, 04:43:59 AM »
Glad I made your day! I like that they used the green texture and bowl imagery from the Vegetarian Beans can. Otherwise it might have been a dull parody.

Agreed, they made a good choice with the vegetarian bean can.  I've always liked this one.  Good gag, great rendition, neat bears, and I like the tag line about bringing out the beast in you. 

Offline Swiski

« Reply #1091 on: May 02, 2018, 04:50:14 AM »
Slopicana and Tropicana. The best real packaging I could find is an illustration. Anyone have a photo of the carton to share?

Offline Baked Bears

« Reply #1092 on: May 02, 2018, 03:42:28 PM »
Love the ape!

By the time the 7th series rolled out, my friends and I were into Wackys for everything they were worth, and I don't think there was a corner store that wasn't selling them (and we hit them all.)  Even the old lady who sold candy out of her kitchen to school children at lunchtime (we walked home for lunch in those days) was selling them.  Old habits die hard, and even today I still find myself glancing over at various candy displays in some slim, half-forgotten hope of spotting a box of packs.  I'd probably buy them all, if simply to relive one of the more carefree, serendipitous times in my life.

Still love the 7th series.  It is probably my favorite and brings back a lot of great memories.

Offline Swiski

« Reply #1093 on: May 04, 2018, 03:58:23 PM »
Top Slob and Top Job...

Offline Baked Bears

« Reply #1094 on: May 04, 2018, 04:08:32 PM »
The fish are a nice added touch.  Don't think the parody would be nowhere near as strong without them.

What's the deal with the jagged cap, by the way?  (Never noticed it until now.)

Offline NationalSpittoon

« Reply #1095 on: May 04, 2018, 05:00:33 PM »
The fish are a nice added touch.  Don't think the parody would be nowhere near as strong without them.

That might be symbolizing waves of mucky water, as inside the product.

Offline Swiski

« Reply #1096 on: May 05, 2018, 04:38:21 AM »

Maybe the cap on the real product they used had a red starburst, similar to the one on the front of the real product photo I posted.

Offline Fanatical_and_Sickly

• Administrator
« Reply #1097 on: May 05, 2018, 04:57:27 AM »
Maybe the cap on the real product they used had a red starburst, similar to the one on the front of the real product photo I posted.
that looks to be the case.
found this image online with the 'burst' cap

Offline MoldRush

« Reply #1098 on: May 05, 2018, 08:55:50 AM »
Looks like you may have nailed the perfect match.  The lettering is also slightly tilted, matching the Wacky

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #1099 on: May 05, 2018, 12:38:13 PM »
I always liked Top Slob, and it's another one of those names that is still stuck in my head.  Good gag, and a pretty good slob on the label.  They nailed the packaging, and the fish are well painted, and an interesting touch.

Offline lucidjc

« Reply #1100 on: May 05, 2018, 04:52:59 PM »
Top Slob and Top Job...

Yes! A Top Notch "Liquid Filled Wacky". I honesty think Wackys like this sparked my interest in Aquariums as a kid, that has lasted up to this day.

Jim

Offline Swiski

« Reply #1101 on: May 06, 2018, 06:43:49 AM »
Yes! A Top Notch "Liquid Filled Wacky". I honesty think Wackys like this sparked my interest in Aquariums as a kid, that has lasted up to this day.

Jim
That thing floating in the right corner of the bottle could either be a sea urchin or a mop head!

Offline Swiski

« Reply #1102 on: May 06, 2018, 06:45:36 AM »
Medi-Quak and Medi-Quik. I couldn't find the bottle, but the can has similar graphics.

Offline Baked Bears

« Reply #1103 on: May 06, 2018, 07:04:20 AM »

Jim

I always liked and was fascinated by the "Liquid Filled Wackys," too.  In a way, they're in their own separate category.  IMO, these are some of Norm's best work.  The bubbles, various submerged characters/objects, and the way he lit the liquids all come together for some very arresting artwork.

Too bad there aren't ceramic figures available of some of the WP bottle characters (such as the "Log Cave-In" pioneer.)  One could create a rather one-of-a-kind aquarium!

Offline Baked Bears

« Reply #1104 on: May 06, 2018, 07:16:33 AM »
Medi-Quak and Medi-Quik. I couldn't find the bottle, but the can has similar graphics.

Does Medi-Quik even exist today?  Or did it disappear the year Atari hit the market?  Looking at the graphics of all of those children playing outside makes me wonder.

Offline Swiski

« Reply #1105 on: May 07, 2018, 08:45:03 PM »
Dums and Tums.

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #1106 on: May 08, 2018, 04:10:31 AM »

I love that duck!  I liked this gag so much I used to ask my mom to buy Medi-quak to keep for our little emergencies, instead of the other brands.

Offline Swiski

« Reply #1107 on: May 09, 2018, 12:13:20 PM »
Alpo and Alpoo...

Somewhat interesting story from the website I found the above image:

"One poignant instance of this plight was a job that John Falter did in 1964 for an advertising agency. He was hired to compose the color design for the label on ALPO dog food cans. Oddly enough, a further example of this same cultural tendency occurred ten years later when another classic illustrator, Norman Saunders, was hired by the Topps Bubble Gum Company to paint a spoof of that same label for a Wacky Packages sticker, ALPOO."

Offline Baked Bears

« Reply #1108 on: May 09, 2018, 03:35:54 PM »
Interesting story, and sure enough, the label on that first can is a painting.

I think I would prefer to eat the beef chunks in either painting, as opposed to the real thing.  Somehow, IMO, the photography of yesteryear often portrayed food in a most unappetizing manner.

By the way, notice the dog's disproportionate "giraffe" leg.

Offline cddx

« Reply #1109 on: May 10, 2018, 07:30:22 AM »
Does Medi-Quik even exist today?  Or did it disappear the year Atari hit the market?  Looking at the graphics of all of those children playing outside makes me wonder.

Offline mikecho

« Reply #1110 on: May 10, 2018, 01:19:47 PM »
Interesting story, and sure enough, the label on that first can is a painting.

I think I would prefer to eat the beef chunks in either painting, as opposed to the real thing.  Somehow, IMO, the photography of yesteryear often portrayed food in a most unappetizing manner.

By the way, notice the dog's disproportionate "giraffe" leg.
That leg was interesting! I never would've noticed it unless someone mentioned it and, back in the day, I didn't even see it-until now.

Offline Baked Bears

« Reply #1111 on: May 10, 2018, 03:03:49 PM »

Thanks!

I notice, though, that all of the children have disappeared.  No more jumping rope, shooting marbles, etc..

Perhaps this parody should be redone and brought up to date?  A duck with (Daffy Duck) arms and painful blisters on its thumbs gripping a game controller as it sits gawking at a television video game screen.

Offline Swiski

« Reply #1112 on: May 11, 2018, 03:33:30 PM »
Hag and Hag or Half and Half?

Offline Baked Bears

« Reply #1113 on: May 12, 2018, 07:41:04 AM »
Hag and Hag or Half and Half?

Rather simple and plain, yet the witch illustration is well done.

Brings back memories of walking into the local mall and finding (it seems strange to say now) a tobacconist shop - along with a store that sold nothing but organs, fountains filled with coins, retailers that sold LPs, cassettes, and 8-track tapes, and head shops selling little bottles of "Rush" (amyl nitrite.)

Offline mikecho

« Reply #1114 on: May 13, 2018, 11:01:45 AM »
Rather simple and plain, yet the witch illustration is well done.

Brings back memories of walking into the local mall and finding (it seems strange to say now) a tobacconist shop - along with a store that sold nothing but organs, fountains filled with coins, retailers that sold LPs, cassettes, and 8-track tapes, and head shops selling little bottles of "Rush" (amyl nitrite.)
I remember all of those things except the head shops (but then again, I wouldn't have noticed them anyway). I also remember pet shops, toy stores, book stores, small candy booths in the main department store in the mall, small movie theaters that only had two rooms, stores like Woolworth's that had lunch counters outside in the hallway, soft pretzel stands in that same hallway, pinball arcades, department stores that don't even exist anyone (and usually more than one of them in different sections)-oh, I could go on forever with this!
« Last Edit: May 13, 2018, 11:10:59 AM by mikecho »

Offline Baked Bears

« Reply #1115 on: May 13, 2018, 04:46:07 PM »
I remember all of those things except the head shops (but then again, I wouldn't have noticed them anyway). I also remember pet shops, toy stores, book stores, small candy booths in the main department store in the mall, small movie theaters that only had two rooms, stores like Woolworth's that had lunch counters outside in the hallway, soft pretzel stands in that same hallway, pinball arcades, department stores that don't even exist anyone (and usually more than one of them in different sections)-oh, I could go on forever with this!

You remembered some good ones.  Yes, I definitely remember the Woolworth's lunch counter in the hallway, small candy booths in the department stores, pet shops, and - what did you call them? - "pinball" arcades painted up all black like dark grottoes.  There was also a candle shop called "Wicks and Sticks," I believe, that sold all kinds of crazy, sculpted candle figures such as dragons, etc. - like wax works of art.  I still have one somewhere around here.

To be honest, I can't even remember the last time I shopped in a mall.  There's no cool stores left that appeal to me.  I do remember thinking to myself, though, as I hurriedly walked through one, "Why the hell am I even here?"  (There's also not that many cool stores left outside of the malls, either!)  Welcome to the age of Target and Walmart.  Now I tend to frequent small CD, book, and other odd stores located on renovated downtown Main Streets in neighboring small towns.

Perhaps the 3rd Blade Runner movie will feature even yet a bleaker landscape:  A vast system of domes covering Los Angeles, which, in itself, is a vast, never-ending Walmart, a place where one could live and die without ever having to leave.  Everything for the impoverished soul!

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #1116 on: May 13, 2018, 06:55:23 PM »
You remembered some good ones.  Yes, I definitely remember the Woolworth's lunch counter in the hallway, small candy booths in the department stores, pet shops, and - what did you call them? - "pinball" arcades painted up all black like dark grottoes.  There was also a candle shop called "Wicks and Sticks," I believe, that sold all kinds of crazy, sculpted candle figures such as dragons, etc. - like wax works of art.  I still have one somewhere around here.

To be honest, I can't even remember the last time I shopped in a mall.  There's no cool stores left that appeal to me.  I do remember thinking to myself, though, as I hurriedly walked through one, "Why the hell am I even here?"  (There's also not that many cool stores left outside of the malls, either!)  Welcome to the age of Target and Walmart.  Now I tend to frequent small CD, book, and other odd stores located on renovated downtown Main Streets in neighboring small towns.

Perhaps the 3rd Blade Runner movie will feature even yet a bleaker landscape:  A vast system of domes covering Los Angeles, which, in itself, is a vast, never-ending Walmart, a place where one could live and die without ever having to leave.  Everything for the impoverished soul!

The only time I've been to a mall in the last 10 years was to get my mom's perfume at Macy's; I've been ordering it on line for years now.  I remember the good old days with video arcades, Walden Books, B. Dalton, Wicks and Sticks I think I have a wizard candle somewhere), Spencer Gifts, McCrory and KayBee Toys.

Your future vision reminds me of a science fiction novel where everyone lived in ginormous buildings called urbmonds (urbmods?), and basically never went outside.  I can't remember the name of the book, but hopefully someone here will.

Offline bigtomi

« Reply #1117 on: May 14, 2018, 11:39:13 AM »
Your future vision reminds me of a science fiction novel where everyone lived in ginormous buildings called urbmonds (urbmods?), and basically never went outside.  I can't remember the name of the book, but hopefully someone here will.
The World Inside by R. Silverberg?

[in my best Linus Van Pelt] That's what Google is all about, Charlie Brown.   :)

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #1118 on: May 14, 2018, 02:58:15 PM »
The World Inside by R. Silverberg?

[in my best Linus Van Pelt] That's what Google is all about, Charlie Brown.   :)

I did try to search, but perhaps wasn't good enough with the search words.  Thanks!  I love Robert Silverberg novels!  Larry Niven, too.  And the Riverworld series by Philip Jose Farmer is awesome.  His Dayworld is thought provoking as well.  Heinlein is another favorite, but in the end, IMHO, Asimov rules.

Offline Swiski

« Reply #1119 on: May 15, 2018, 07:15:35 PM »
Dimwit Dots and Domino Dots. Here's another where I wish I had an image of the exact 1970s packaging parodied.

anything