Author Topic: Gag Criticism, Variation, and Packaging  (Read 640324 times)

Offline NationalSpittoon

Re: Gag Criticism and Variation
« Reply #175 on: October 02, 2016, 08:15:12 AM »
That is definitely closer.

Offline Swiski

« Reply #176 on: October 02, 2016, 08:17:26 AM »
I always really liked this one. One simple letter change is almost perfect since rice already looks like lice, and vice versa. I like the way the oval around MINUTE RICE was changed into a pocket watch. Very nice little touch, or did the actual product have that at one time?. No real need for much else on this one. The title stands alone.

Here is an older Minute Rice box...

Offline Swiski

« Reply #177 on: October 02, 2016, 08:20:31 AM »
Adding pics for this title.

Here is a vintage Firestone ad I found. Looks like this exact tire in the photo was used for the parody art?

Offline Swiski

« Reply #178 on: October 02, 2016, 08:23:50 AM »
I agree. I think that's a great gag

I assume the slum maid is wearing top made from a flour sack.

She should have been serving something more appropriate, such as instant ramen, white bread, and soda pop.   And cigarettes.

(Image removed from quote.)

Here is a photo of a vintage Sun Maid box with the brown bar on the bottom. The bar looks lighter on the parody art, but I'm thinking this is the design they used.

Offline sco(o)t

• Looking:Postcard Ser4 BUGWEISER Smokin' Joe sketch
« Reply #179 on: October 02, 2016, 08:58:39 AM »
I found this image in my gallery. Closer design with the checkerboard tablecloth...

Thanks for the packaging picture updates. Keep them coming!
aka Scot Leibacher (no trademark)

Offline Swiski

« Reply #180 on: October 02, 2016, 09:01:25 AM »
Thanks for the packaging picture updates. Keep them coming!

I wish I had them all! Impossible to find images of exact Borden Creamer and Broadcast Hash packaging. Anyone?

Offline Gurgle

• recommends zircon-encrusted tweezers
« Reply #181 on: October 02, 2016, 12:24:36 PM »
As a young kid, this image played with my sense of perspective. The guy on the front is leaning over the label, yet appears to be standing inside the bottle. I remember trying to figure that out. This was before I really understood artistic license!

I like the play on "high life" to "low life" with a bum character but "MULLER" is a term associated with milling grain. I wonder if the original intend was to be someone who mulls where  mull is defined as: to make a mess or failure of. But, alas, there is no real word "muller" like that. I like the character and tag line reversal, but maybe only half a star for the product parody itself. This is one of those stretches.

Offline bandaches

• http://www.wackypackage.com/
    • Visit my Wacky Pack Website
« Reply #182 on: October 02, 2016, 12:43:27 PM »

I like the play on "high life" to "low life" with a bum character but "MULLER" is a term associated with milling grain. I wonder if the original intend was to be someone who mulls where  mull is defined as: to make a mess or failure of. But, alas, there is no real word "muller" like that. I like the character and tag line reversal, but maybe only half a star for the product parody itself. This is one of those stretches.

Niller low life, for those who shoot for next to nothing.
Contact me at bandaches@yahoo.com as I have tons of wackys for sale!  Visit my website http://www.wackypackage.com/

Offline Fanatical_and_Sickly

• Administrator
« Reply #183 on: October 02, 2016, 01:19:39 PM »

I found reference to a Muller beer distributor in Philly, which makes me wonder if this one could just be an inside joke of some sort. Miller/Muller, Brewerytown/Bowery. Could help explain why it's not that great a wacky. who knows.

"The name of Muller has long been associated with beer in Philadelphia.  Members of the Muller family grew up in the Brewerytown section of the city and, beginning in the 1800s, worked in breweries and delivered beer in horse-drawn wagons.  Jack Muller, the founder of Muller, Inc., started in the beer business in 1938 with the formation in Philadelphia of Holmesburg Distributing. Located in Northeast Philadelphia, Muller, Inc. is a six-county Importing Beer Distributor and one of the nation's largest distributors of malt beverages."

Offline bandaches

« Reply #184 on: October 02, 2016, 01:35:35 PM »
I found reference to a Muller beer distributor in Philly, which makes me wonder if this one could just be an inside joke of some sort. Miller/Muller, Brewerytown/Bowery. Could help explain why it's not that great a wacky. who knows.

"The name of Muller has long been associated with beer in Philadelphia.  Members of the Muller family grew up in the Brewerytown section of the city and, beginning in the 1800s, worked in breweries and delivered beer in horse-drawn wagons.  Jack Muller, the founder of Muller, Inc., started in the beer business in 1938 with the formation in Philadelphia of Holmesburg Distributing. Located in Northeast Philadelphia, Muller, Inc. is a six-county Importing Beer Distributor and one of the nation's largest distributors of malt beverages."
Given the propensity for obscure inside jokes, I think you are on to something!
Contact me at bandaches@yahoo.com as I have tons of wackys for sale!  Visit my website http://www.wackypackage.com/

Offline NationalSpittoon

« Reply #185 on: October 03, 2016, 03:55:53 AM »
Diecuts #24 - Band - Ache

Band - Ache Brand
Strips off skin
Jerkson & Jerkson

Real Product
Band - Aid
Plastic Strips
Johnson & Johnson

Pretty good gag, right Bandaches?

Offline sco(o)t

« Reply #186 on: October 03, 2016, 09:44:32 AM »

Band - Ache Brand
Strips off skin
Jerkson & Jerkson

Real Product
Band - Aid
Plastic Strips
Johnson & Johnson

Another one of the top classic Wackies. As a kid, the band-aid being ripped, along with flesh, from the hand appealed to my love of gore. Very good product parody. Tag line and Company name on Wacky both fit in very nicely. Great artwork.  Its interesting on this one how the colors of the logo and the tag line box were switched from the original. Usually the original series Wackies were very close to the originals in terms of font, colors used, etc. 

Offline NationalSpittoon

« Reply #187 on: October 03, 2016, 09:52:00 AM »
I do agree that it is odd but I do like this one especially because I've always hated taking band aids off.

Offline bandaches

« Reply #188 on: October 03, 2016, 08:49:15 PM »

Band - Ache Brand
Strips off skin
Jerkson & Jerkson

Real Product
Band - Aid
Plastic Strips
Johnson & Johnson

LOL, yeah, I like this one a bit.  We liked saying Jerkson and Jerkson as a kid but I am not sure it fits the gag. I think Goneskin and Goneskin would have been funnier but what do I know.

Offline NationalSpittoon

« Reply #189 on: October 04, 2016, 01:57:21 AM »
Diecuts #25 - Chock Full O' Nuts and Bolts

Chock Full O' Nuts and Bolts
The Heavily
Coffee

Real Product
Chock Full O' Nuts
The Heavenly
Coffee

I guess it works, but heavily seems to bug me with grammar. Eh, I guess it still works, right?  :great:

Offline sco(o)t

« Reply #190 on: October 04, 2016, 03:30:07 AM »
LOL, yeah, I like this one a bit.  We liked saying Jerkson and Jerkson as a kid but I am not sure it fits the gag. I think Goneskin and Goneskin would have been funnier but what do I know.

I have to disagree on this one... we used to always jerk band-aids off to get the slow, agonizing hurt over with quickly. Jerkson and Jerkson always made good sense to me.

Offline Gurgle

« Reply #191 on: October 04, 2016, 09:19:52 AM »
I found this on Urban Dictionary, for what it's worth.

mullered
1 Broken, smashed or beaten up to the point of being visisbly altered, unusuable or non-functional.
2 Intoxicated with drink or drugs to the point of non-sensibility.
3 Resoundingly beaten in a competition of some kind.

Offline sco(o)t

« Reply #192 on: October 04, 2016, 02:29:11 PM »

The Heavily
Coffee

Real Product
Chock Full O' Nuts
The Heavenly
Coffee

I guess it works, but heavily seems to bug me with grammar. Eh, I guess it still works, right?  :great:

This is another one I like quite a bit. Good title parody by adding two words. Change of "Heavenly" to "Heavily" fits well. Nice and simple with pretty cool artwork.

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #193 on: October 04, 2016, 03:32:03 PM »
This is another one I like quite a bit. Good title parody by adding two words. Change of "Heavenly" to "Heavily" fits well. Nice and simple with pretty cool artwork.

I really like this one, and while they captured the original packaging, I'm glad they added a character.

Offline Gurgle

« Reply #194 on: October 04, 2016, 04:35:07 PM »
Great title, great secondary gag, and great visual. Visceral without being too gruesome. And it parodies the product perfectly. This would be a prime example if you were introducing Wackys to someone.

Band - Ache Brand
Strips off skin
Jerkson & Jerkson

Real Product
Band - Aid
Plastic Strips
Johnson & Johnson

Offline Gurgle

« Reply #195 on: October 04, 2016, 04:37:04 PM »
I also really like this one. Funny, great character, and the open can looks fantastic. I think this would be another good example to use if you were introducing someone to Wackys.

The Heavily
Coffee

Real Product
Chock Full O' Nuts
The Heavenly
Coffee

« Last Edit: October 04, 2016, 04:38:43 PM by Gurgle »

Offline bandaches

« Reply #196 on: October 04, 2016, 07:37:15 PM »
I have to disagree on this one... we used to always jerk band-aids off to get the slow, agonizing hurt over with quickly. Jerkson and Jerkson always made good sense to me.
Fair point!

Offline bandaches

« Reply #197 on: October 04, 2016, 07:37:36 PM »

The Heavily
Coffee

Real Product
Chock Full O' Nuts
The Heavenly
Coffee

I love this one, I have no issues to call out.

Offline Jean Nutty

« Reply #198 on: October 04, 2016, 09:04:04 PM »

I like this title a lot. Great character expression.

Love the exaggerated arms and hands and huge coffee cup. Classic Norm Saunders artwork.

Offline NationalSpittoon

« Reply #199 on: October 05, 2016, 01:55:34 AM »
Diecuts #26 - Tied

Tied Detergent
Your clothes will be fit to be Tied

Real Product
Tide Detergent

Can't find exact fitting images to add tagline.

Offline sco(o)t

« Reply #200 on: October 05, 2016, 03:25:20 AM »
Diecuts #26 - Tied

Tied Detergent

Real Product
Tide Detergent

Not every product lends itself to a great parody. Speaking of which... here's one now.

Offline Gurgle

« Reply #201 on: October 05, 2016, 09:23:39 AM »
I always thought this one was clever. Not only is it a homophone, but it also does it by rearranging the same 4 letters. You do your laundry and the clothes come out in a knot. It works for me. Plus, my family used Tide so that was always a bonus.

Diecuts #26 - Tied

Tied Detergent

Real Product
Tide Detergent

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #202 on: October 05, 2016, 10:47:27 AM »
I'm with everyone else. Chock is an A+ wacky and has always been one of my favorites. Was stoked to coincidentally have it showing on a pack I purchased years ago!

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #203 on: October 05, 2016, 11:00:58 AM »
Tied is one of those wackys that's so visually unique. Just the rings of color make me love it.

Offline NationalSpittoon

« Reply #204 on: October 05, 2016, 12:47:21 PM »
Yeah it's one of the "key wackys" because it's one I automatically think of.

Offline BustedFinger

• Just a simple collector. No books, no websites, no arguments!
  • I wonder where this text will appear?
« Reply #205 on: October 05, 2016, 04:36:45 PM »
Tied is one of those wackys that's so visually unique. Just the rings of color make me love it.

I don't know - I actually prefer "Toad" from series 12 better!
Giving "The Hobby" the finger since 1999!

Offline lucidjc

« Reply #206 on: October 05, 2016, 04:40:16 PM »
Toad is good, but the look on the Tied guys face is priceless!

Offline bandaches

« Reply #207 on: October 05, 2016, 06:34:07 PM »
I agree,  the colors are great, underrated wacky

Offline bandaches

« Reply #208 on: October 05, 2016, 06:35:20 PM »
I don't know - I actually prefer "Toad" from series 12 better!
I am biased against all reused titles so I perhaps don't give the 2nd version a fair look.  I think it is lazy that products have to be repeated.

Offline Swiski

« Reply #209 on: October 05, 2016, 07:26:08 PM »
Those Wacky gag writers were ahead of their time back in 1967! I have one of those HE washers, and when I put too many clothes in there, especially jeans, they get tangled together and appear to be "tied" together when I pull them out. I don't use Tied detergent, but I do use Pure-Hex.