Author Topic: Gag Criticism, Variation, and Packaging  (Read 640284 times)

Offline Swiski

Re: Gag Criticism, Variation, and Packaging
« Reply #2275 on: July 25, 2020, 12:50:17 PM »
Nose-X compared to Kleenex. It's a nicely illustrated parody, but the parody name is horrible!

I would have made the parody a little closer to the real product name.

Something like Queen-Ex would have been funny. Show a dethroned queen sobbing, using the tissues for tears as she is kicked out of the palace.

« Last Edit: July 25, 2020, 01:00:40 PM by Swiski »

Offline MoldRush

« Reply #2276 on: July 25, 2020, 01:47:54 PM »
Nose-X compared to Kleenex. It's a nicely illustrated parody, but the parody name is horrible!

Something like Queen-Ex would have been funny. Show a dethroned queen sobbing, using the tissues for tears as she is kicked out of the palace.

I still can’t believe it’s Kleenex they’re spoofing based on the parody name, but the font looks the same, so go figure.

Offline freetoes

« Reply #2277 on: July 25, 2020, 06:19:44 PM »

This has always gotten my vote for most obscure Wacky. I may have mentioned that long ago, but other than that, I can't remember a single reference to it on any of the Forums going back to 1999. Few people would remember it from the original run, and it's not likely to be chosen as a Forum name. But it does get points for the character and the messy wad on top.

Is it possible that the name was intended to slip one past the censors? Even then it wouldn't make much sense, but it might be mildly titillating to fourth graders.

Offline drono

« Reply #2278 on: July 25, 2020, 07:09:57 PM »
Is it possible that the name was intended to slip one past the censors? Even then it wouldn't make much sense, but it might be mildly titillating to fourth graders.

That's a good catch!  I never thought of that.  Of course I don't remember this series at all as a kid.

It reminds me of the time at work that the web site Experts-Exchange.com was blocked.

Offline Swiski

« Reply #2279 on: July 27, 2020, 07:52:03 AM »
This has always gotten my vote for most obscure Wacky. I may have mentioned that long ago, but other than that, I can't remember a single reference to it on any of the Forums going back to 1999. Few people would remember it from the original run, and it's not likely to be chosen as a Forum name. But it does get points for the character and the messy wad on top.

Looking over the parody, it almost seems like the parody joke centers around....self pleasuring? No Sex! The guy on the box has a big smile on his face, and the tagline on the bottom "pops up automatically." Maybe I'm looking into it too much. LOL!

Offline Swiski

« Reply #2280 on: July 30, 2020, 12:29:32 PM »
Snort vs Sport magazine...

Offline MoldRush

« Reply #2281 on: July 30, 2020, 05:51:18 PM »
Ok Wacky I guess, but the title ‘Snort’ brings a different kind of substance abuse to mind....

Can’t go there with a kiddie audience, I get it.  Just sayin’.  There are quite a few Wackys with drunkenness themes, I guess that’s as far out there as they could go.  Probably explains why there’s no magazine parody for High Times.

Offline lucidjc

« Reply #2282 on: July 30, 2020, 06:29:18 PM »
Long before drugs were around to snort, having a sip of whisky was know as a snort or a belt, just to name a few.

Jim

Offline mikecho

« Reply #2283 on: July 30, 2020, 07:57:22 PM »
Snort vs Sport magazine...

Well, whaddya know? Doctor Octopus with four extra real arms is on a magazine cover!

I didn't know he could play basketball as well as be a supervillain! Lost a lot of weight and ditched the dark glasses too, lol!
« Last Edit: August 19, 2020, 07:20:04 PM by mikecho »

Offline Alexeirex

« Reply #2284 on: July 30, 2020, 08:09:34 PM »
Long before drugs were around to snort, having a sip of whisky was know as a snort or a belt, just to name a few.

Jim

I've heard it referred to as a snoot, or a snootfull also - but maybe that was my bad hearing....
A

Offline Swiski

« Reply #2285 on: August 02, 2020, 05:30:17 AM »
Fearasil and Clearasil...

Offline MoldRush

« Reply #2286 on: August 02, 2020, 02:37:42 PM »
First, kudos on the perfectly matching real product image.

This has always been a sort of overlooked Wacky for me, never having particularly liked or hated it.  But contrasting it with the real product image now increases my appreciation of it.  The drippy black and red background stripes are an excellent embellishment.  Makes me think of the film The Shining.  Add the cute little witch and it’s a nice horror-themed Wacky.  Thumbs up for Fearasil!!!

Offline Gurgle

• recommends zircon-encrusted tweezers
« Reply #2287 on: August 02, 2020, 05:34:41 PM »
And it looks like they conveniently left plenty of room on the bottom of the tube to add a witch!

First, kudos on the perfectly matching real product image.

This has always been a sort of overlooked Wacky for me, never having particularly liked or hated it.  But contrasting it with the real product image now increases my appreciation of it.  The drippy black and red background stripes are an excellent embellishment.  Makes me think of the film The Shining.  Add the cute little witch and it’s a nice horror-themed Wacky.  Thumbs up for Fearasil!!!

Offline MoldRush

« Reply #2288 on: August 03, 2020, 08:58:39 AM »
And it looks like they conveniently left plenty of room on the bottom of the tube to add a witch!
Wow, didn’t notice that.  Kind of peculiar even for then.  By today’s standards would probably never happen.

Offline Swiski

« Reply #2289 on: August 05, 2020, 04:54:15 AM »
Polarbearoid compared to Polaroid film. Film type 107 to be exact. They made they best out of a boring real package with that nice bear illustration

« Last Edit: August 05, 2020, 04:58:41 AM by Swiski »

Offline Bigmuc13

« Reply #2290 on: August 05, 2020, 06:02:25 AM »
Polarbearoid compared to Polaroid film. Film type 107 to be exact. They made they best out of a boring real package with that nice bear illustration

Wow, this has to be the most impressive makeover from any product.  There is literally nothing on the box!  Great vision and great artwork to get this Wacky completed.
Still looking for Series 17

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #2291 on: August 05, 2020, 06:12:07 AM »
Wow, this has to be the most impressive makeover from any product.  There is literally nothing on the box!  Great vision and great artwork to get this Wacky completed.

Agreed!

Offline drono

« Reply #2292 on: August 05, 2020, 10:35:43 AM »
I think it you looked through all 16 OS you'd find plenty of other examples, but maybe not as dramatic.  The very first one I remember seeing is Gadzooka in series 1.  It's an example of nothing on the packaging but a great character add.

Offline MoldRush

« Reply #2293 on: August 05, 2020, 11:20:31 AM »
I think it you looked through all 16 OS you'd find plenty of other examples, but maybe not as dramatic.  The very first one I remember seeing is Gadzooka in series 1.  It's an example of nothing on the packaging but a great character add.
Probably the complete absence of color in the real product puts this one in a special class.

Offline Swiski

« Reply #2294 on: August 06, 2020, 07:21:08 AM »
Irish Ring and Irish Spring...

Offline sco(o)t

• Looking:Postcard Ser4 BUGWEISER Smokin' Joe sketch
« Reply #2295 on: August 06, 2020, 01:15:34 PM »
You doesn't love, "our prices be Dublin"?
aka Scot Leibacher (no trademark)

Offline Swiski

« Reply #2296 on: August 09, 2020, 07:04:43 AM »
Totarillo compared to Tiparillo.

I also included the inspiration for Norm Saunders baby illustration - Raining on Baby New Year by J C Leyendecker, used on the December 31st, 1927 cover of the Saturday Evening Post.

Offline mikecho

« Reply #2297 on: August 09, 2020, 11:59:48 AM »
Totarillo compared to Tiparillo.

I also included the inspiration for Norm Saunders baby illustration - Raining on Baby New Year by J C Leyendecker, used on the December 31st, 1927 cover of the Saturday Evening Post.

I take it the "A" in the third photo stands for "Aromatic", am I right?

I just want to know so I can tell Patrick (Fanatical and Sickly) so he can put it on the Spreadsheet.

Offline MoldRush

« Reply #2298 on: August 10, 2020, 11:56:28 AM »
If the speculation about the possible hidden joke of Nose-Ex is in fact accurate, then Totarillo would be a second example in the 14th where the humor would fly right over the head of the average Wacky-chasing kid.  The Saturday Evening Post cover inspiration looks plausible, but the question is why?

Offline Swiski

« Reply #2299 on: August 12, 2020, 08:12:58 AM »
IOU and OUI magazines. I couldn't decide which real cover I liked the most to compare. They're all good  :]

Offline lucidjc

« Reply #2300 on: August 12, 2020, 12:46:36 PM »
IOU and OUI magazines. I couldn't decide which real cover I liked the most to compare. They're all good  :]

I'm not so sure either, I think I need a bigger sampling.

Jim

Offline MoldRush

« Reply #2301 on: August 12, 2020, 04:52:15 PM »
The Oui magazine has its origins as a sister magazine, for lack of a better word, to Playboy.  Both were part of the Hefner publishing empire.  And like Playboy, it was also somewhat tastefully done in the 70s, compared to other adult magazines of the era.  I think by the early to mid-80’s it was sold off and no longer had that pedigree.  In any case, curiously both titles are parodied in the 14th.

Offline Swiski

« Reply #2302 on: August 14, 2020, 07:43:26 AM »
Duxie compared to Dixie cups, along with the 11th series Dizzie Cups...

Offline MoldRush

« Reply #2303 on: August 14, 2020, 05:28:37 PM »
Duxie compared to Dixie cups, along with the 11th series Dizzie Cups...

Neither parody is spectacular, but the product packaging, graphics and colors are so vibrant that it makes the parodies worthwhile nonetheless, sort of like Bathless Ribbons and Shrunken Donuts - not the funniest but visually awesome.

Offline Swiski

« Reply #2304 on: August 14, 2020, 08:04:26 PM »
Neither parody is spectacular, but the product packaging, graphics and colors are so vibrant that it makes the parodies worthwhile nonetheless, sort of like Bathless Ribbons and Shrunken Donuts - not the funniest but visually awesome.

Upon looking at the real packaging, the artist used the side panel for Dizzie but the front panel for Duxie.

Offline MoldRush

« Reply #2305 on: August 14, 2020, 08:45:04 PM »
Upon closer inspection of Dizzie, it would appear the box used to make the parody was half the width (50 cups, single stack) as that used for Duxie (100 cups, double stack), which looks the same as the real product in terms of box shape.  This may be why the two parodies are inconsistent.  In the narrow box, the equal dimensions make it unclear what side of the box should be considered the front panel, and the graphics are similar enough that they don’t help you either.

Offline Swiski

« Reply #2306 on: August 18, 2020, 01:28:40 PM »
Mrs. Poles Fishing Sticks compared to Mrs Paul's Fish Sticks...

Offline Gurgle

« Reply #2307 on: August 18, 2020, 03:50:05 PM »
Now THIS is something!

Offline MoldRush

« Reply #2308 on: August 18, 2020, 06:04:02 PM »
Mrs. Poles Fishing Sticks compared to Mrs Paul's Fish Sticks...

Probably my overall favorite from the 14th.  Great artwork that pops without the need for character embellishment (nothing against characters of course).  Fishing was a favorite summer activity of mine growing up, and the tree branch fishing poles remind me of the bamboo rods I would see kids using when fishing from piers or in small ponds.  Some of that fishing was so simple that the rods shown here would have worked just fine.

Offline Gurgle

« Reply #2309 on: August 19, 2020, 08:34:43 AM »
Not one that registered very much with me, but I appreciate hearing how you appreciate it. Makes me give it a second look.

Probably my overall favorite from the 14th.  Great artwork that pops without the need for character embellishment (nothing against characters of course).  Fishing was a favorite summer activity of mine growing up, and the tree branch fishing poles remind me of the bamboo rods I would see kids using when fishing from piers or in small ponds.  Some of that fishing was so simple that the rods shown here would have worked just fine.

anything