Author Topic: Gag Criticism, Variation, and Packaging  (Read 647680 times)

Offline MoldRush

Re: Gag Criticism, Variation, and Packaging
« Reply #2240 on: July 10, 2020, 12:54:16 PM »
Ain't compared to Aim toothpaste...

Nice middle-of-the-road Wacky.  Nothing especially funny about the gags but very well rendered including the spillage.  I give it an extra star because there aren’t that many toothpaste Wackys in the OS run for whatever reason.  Crest/Creep, Ultra Blight, Choke-Up and the fugazy Decay are the only others I can think of.  Probably far fewer brands back then too though.

Offline bigtomi

« Reply #2241 on: July 10, 2020, 02:07:50 PM »
I give it an extra star because there aren’t that many toothpaste Wackys in the OS run for whatever reason.  Crest/Creep, Ultra Blight, Choke-Up and the fugazy Decay are the only others I can think of.  Probably far fewer brands back then too though.
After glancing thru the list, only Crust and Gloom besides the ones you mentioned. Never really thought about it much, but toothpastes weren't hit much in the OS.

Offline MoldRush

« Reply #2242 on: July 10, 2020, 02:17:06 PM »
Mostly very bland packaging on toothpastes back then too.  I remember as a kid the only thing we were taught was to pick a brand with the little fluoride logo so you knew it was a legit toothpaste.  Now you’ve got peroxide, baking soda, whitening crystals, mouthwash-infused, etc., it never ends.

Online Fanatical_and_Sickly

• Administrator
« Reply #2243 on: July 10, 2020, 03:18:32 PM »
but very well rendered including the spillage. 
personally ranked this one somewhat high, as that blue-green goop with the fly is great, and the shading on the tube.

Online RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #2244 on: July 10, 2020, 11:29:59 PM »
personally ranked this one somewhat high, as that blue-green goop with the fly is great, and the shading on the tube.

I like this one for the goop and fly, too.  Also that the end is rolled up.

Offline Swiski

« Reply #2245 on: July 12, 2020, 06:25:36 AM »
Battletime and Ballantine beers compared...

Offline cmgmd

« Reply #2246 on: July 12, 2020, 08:00:19 AM »
Newark, NJ's finest brew

Offline sco(o)t

• Looking:Postcard Ser4 BUGWEISER Smokin' Joe sketch
« Reply #2247 on: July 12, 2020, 09:38:26 AM »
Now that’s a low key Wacky to rival Sugarmess.
aka Scot Leibacher (no trademark)

Offline MoldRush

« Reply #2248 on: July 12, 2020, 12:31:15 PM »
Now that’s a low key Wacky to rival Sugarmess.
It may be low key in terms of not adding a goofy character, but for me in this case its simplicity is part of its charm.  The can graphics are cool enough to make it work.  I just would have tried to come up with something better than “it’ll make you burp”, something more in line with the wrestling/battling theme.  Maybe “Premium Combat Beer”, something like that.

Offline drono

« Reply #2249 on: July 12, 2020, 01:33:47 PM »
I just would have tried to come up with something better than “it’ll make you burp”, something more in line with the wrestling/battling theme.  Maybe “Premium Combat Beer”, something like that.

They also missed out on changing the text in red at the bottom of the can.   A lot could have been done with "brewed with high quality malt, selected grains, and other premium ingredients."

Offline Swiski

« Reply #2250 on: July 12, 2020, 01:42:39 PM »
With a title like Battletime, I would have loved to see a bunch of dents on the parody can, like it's been through a battle. Similar to how they "beat up" the Bent cigarettes package on that parody.

Offline MoldRush

« Reply #2251 on: July 12, 2020, 08:06:21 PM »
With a title like Battletime, I would have loved to see a bunch of dents on the parody can, like it's been through a battle. Similar to how they "beat up" the Bent cigarettes package on that parody.
They could have also replaced the little wheat pics with tiny weapons, skull and crossbones, bandages, etc.

Offline Swiski

« Reply #2252 on: July 13, 2020, 07:43:43 AM »
Satan Wrap and Saran Wrap...

Offline Baked Bears

« Reply #2253 on: July 13, 2020, 11:02:04 AM »
"You'll have a devil of a time using this."

How true!

Online RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #2254 on: July 13, 2020, 11:22:12 AM »
"You'll have a devil of a time using this."

How true!

Agreed!  I like this Wacky (and hate plastic wrap!).  I have had times where the wrap just gets stuck together and I want to throw the whole box out.  Saran Wrap has made me say "Hell" many times!!

Offline MoldRush

« Reply #2255 on: July 13, 2020, 07:22:41 PM »
I don’t use plastic wrap all that often, but the key to avoid having it stick to itself is to stretch it over the top of the bowl you’re sealing before you tear it away from the roll.  Aluminum foil can be torn first, but not this stuff.

As for the Wacky, would it have made more sense to have ol’ Beelzebub himself as the character rather than a consumer with devil horns?  Just a thought.

Online RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #2256 on: July 14, 2020, 04:36:43 AM »
I don’t use plastic wrap all that often, but the key to avoid having it stick to itself is to stretch it over the top of the bowl you’re sealing before you tear it away from the roll.  Aluminum foil can be torn first, but not this stuff.

As for the Wacky, would it have made more sense to have ol’ Beelzebub himself as the character rather than a consumer with devil horns?  Just a thought.

I generally only use plastic wrap for food I'm going to freeze, so I have to cut it first, then wrap, which used to lead to scraped fingers.  Trying to limit shopping trips, I have gotten much better at this - my process now is to clear off the glass stovetop, put some already opened up freezer bags at the back, pull out wrap to the right size, and use scissors instead of the box to cut the wrap.  That also has the advantage of leaving some extra hanging wrap to pull on for the next piece.  Tightly wrap up a piece of chicken, steak, or a burger, and repeat, then stick the wrapped pieces in a bag, label and freeze.  Works great to prevent freezer burn for both raw and cooked meat.  You can defrost only as many pieces as you need for a meal, which is faster than defrosting a big package, and you can usually reuse the freezer bags. 

Enough of Pat's kitchen tips - I think Beelzebub would have been a great character on this Wacky!
« Last Edit: July 14, 2020, 04:40:06 AM by RawGoo »

Offline Swiski

« Reply #2257 on: July 14, 2020, 08:57:17 PM »
Oscar the Mayor Baloney and Oscar Mayer Bologna.

« Last Edit: July 15, 2020, 04:43:09 AM by Swiski »

Offline MoldRush

« Reply #2258 on: July 14, 2020, 11:11:36 PM »
Had I seen the 14th back in ‘75 I probably would have loved this one based on the product familiarity (who doesn’t remember the commercial and catchy jingle?), though I suspect the political gag might have gone over my head. 

Offline drono

« Reply #2259 on: July 15, 2020, 01:41:51 PM »
I always thought this one looked like a red 45 rpm record on a blister pack.

Offline sco(o)t

« Reply #2260 on: July 15, 2020, 02:02:18 PM »
I always thought this one looked like a red 45 rpm record on a blister pack.

I did, as well, but though it was a 78rpm with the small hole in the center and the groves. I always wondered if I was missing a record reference or something.  It sure appears it's intended that the record title is HOT AIR and the artist is Oscar Mayor.  It's almost like it's missing a tag line that brings it all together, like "The Mayor speaks on the record" or some such.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2020, 02:07:04 PM by sco(o)t »

Online RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #2261 on: July 15, 2020, 02:08:39 PM »
I did, as well, but though it was a 78rpm with the small hole in the center and the groves. I always wondered if I was missing a record reference or something.  It sure appears it's intended that the record title is HOT AIR and the artist is Oscar Mayor.  It's almost like it's missing a tag line that brings it all together, like "The Mayor speaks on the record" or some such.

Isn't the "Campaign Speeches" at the top sort of what you're looking for?  I've always liked this one.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2020, 02:10:27 PM by RawGoo »

Online BustedFinger

• Just a simple collector. No books, no websites, no arguments!
  • I wonder where this text will appear?
« Reply #2262 on: July 15, 2020, 06:23:05 PM »
Ain't compared to Aim toothpaste...

Little late responding but I always loved this one.  I love the gag line "This Ain't Toothpaste, it's Sticky Glue to Shut Your Mouth".  Made me laugh out loud when I was a kid and saw it for the first time!
Giving "The Hobby" the finger since 1999!

Offline Swiski

« Reply #2263 on: July 17, 2020, 07:56:17 AM »
Canquit and Banquet Pies...

Offline MoldRush

« Reply #2264 on: July 17, 2020, 07:11:20 PM »
Canquit and Banquet Pies...

My first exposure to Series 14 came at the big NJ show in 1997 where a dealer had $5 unopened packs of 14, 15 and 16.  I was mainly interested in 15 but bought a few packs from the other series too.  When I opened the first 14th pack, I think this was the first card staring back at me.  Gotta admit, it creeped me out a little, that scrawny dead chicken.  But a good Wacky nonetheless.  The rendering has an almost Norman Rockwell-like quality to it, as if the packaging is from the 40’s or 50’s.  Like the vibe.

Offline Swiski

« Reply #2265 on: July 20, 2020, 03:38:13 PM »
Sealva Thins and Silva Thins. Anyone else think that the cigarettes should have been skinny little fishes?

Offline sco(o)t

« Reply #2266 on: July 20, 2020, 04:41:40 PM »
Sealva Thins and Silva Thins. Anyone else think that the cigarettes should have been skinny little fishes?

This is one of the most unremarkable Wackies for me. Every time I run across it, it’s like discovering a new one... and being disappointed. In all fairness, next to nothing to work with one the original packaging.

Offline Gurgle

• recommends zircon-encrusted tweezers
« Reply #2267 on: July 20, 2020, 07:54:23 PM »
Thanks. This is another where I was not familiar with the original product. Since I saw the Wacky first it's like the Wacky is more real to me than the actual product.

Offline Brian Mc

« Reply #2268 on: July 20, 2020, 08:44:09 PM »
I've always liked this one. What's not to love about a cigarette-smoking seal? Agree with Scot - nothing to work with from the original package.

And yes, the cigarettes should have been tiny little fishes.
Brian Mc

Offline MoldRush

« Reply #2269 on: July 20, 2020, 08:59:13 PM »
Thanks. This is another where I was not familiar with the original product. Since I saw the Wacky first it's like the Wacky is more real to me than the actual product.
Agree there are lots of examples of that in OS 1-16, but the biggest standout that always comes to mind for me is My Sink perfume.  A cube-shaped bottle filled with crap?  Had no clue what I was looking at.

Offline Swiski

« Reply #2270 on: July 21, 2020, 03:54:43 PM »
Sell'em, compared to Sailem from series 2, compared to Salem cigarettes...

Offline MoldRush

« Reply #2271 on: July 21, 2020, 07:25:09 PM »
In the realm of repeat OS parodies the earliest usually rates as most popular, but in this case I think Sell ‘Em is the much better Wacky.  Just not much going on with Sailem. 

Offline Swiski

« Reply #2272 on: July 23, 2020, 04:59:38 PM »
Taffy and Tabby cat food...

Offline MoldRush

« Reply #2273 on: July 23, 2020, 05:38:23 PM »
Taffy and Tabby cat food...

If I remember correctly, this title was one of a very few color images in Roxanne Toser’s “The Beat Goes On”, the first published book devoted entirely to Wacky Packages.  I’ve mentally linked the two ever since.  As far as critique, I’d say it’s an average Wacky - not bad, not great.  Add a star if you’re a cat owner.

Offline Bigmuc13

« Reply #2274 on: July 23, 2020, 05:41:26 PM »
Sell'em, compared to Sailem from series 2, compared to Salem cigarettes...

I don't know wxactly why, but I always loved Sail 'em when I was a kid.  It's odd, because there is no goofy character or cool toy on it.  I guess the simplicity got me.  But this is defintely my favorite non character Wacky.
Still looking for Series 17