Author Topic: Gag Criticism, Variation, and Packaging  (Read 640506 times)

Offline Bigmuc13

Re: Gag Criticism, Variation, and Packaging
« Reply #2101 on: May 22, 2020, 11:48:38 AM »
It could have been Bathless Rightons

(Image removed from quote.)

https://comics.ha.com/itm/original-comic-art/jay-lynch-wacky-packages-card-preliminary-illustration-original-art-topps-1975-total-2-items-/a/830-92342.s?ic4=GalleryView-Thumbnail-071515
This Wacky would have made a lot more sense.  I would think they would have scrapped this one once they changes the title and took out the "never trust anyone over" line. 
Still looking for Series 17

Offline vahsurfer

« Reply #2102 on: May 24, 2020, 08:19:36 AM »
We need more of this type of Wacky!

Richard
#StayWacky

Offline Swiski

« Reply #2103 on: May 24, 2020, 10:36:23 AM »
Hazel Mishap and Hazel Bishop lipstick. Finding an exact real product image is virtually impossible, so I figure, it's visually a missing link between the two real product images I did find.

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #2104 on: May 24, 2020, 11:05:53 AM »
Hazel Mishap and Hazel Bishop lipstick. Finding an exact real product image is virtually impossible, so I figure, it's visually a missing link between the two real product images I did find.

I always thought the "lipstuck" and related taglines were great.  And, it looks like packaging I remember my aunt having when she came to visit.

Offline MoldRush

« Reply #2105 on: May 24, 2020, 04:50:50 PM »

I recall similar difficulty finding an exact match for Moobeline as well, must be something about cosmetics.

I’d never seen this one in 1975 and never heard of the brand, like many other products in the Wacky family.  From the name on the checklist I gathered it was some type of lipstick, but my prediction powers ended there.  Can’t say this one does much for me.  The all-red blister pack card makes for a bland parody.

Offline Swiski

« Reply #2106 on: May 25, 2020, 11:21:09 AM »
Shrunken Donuts and Dunkin' Donuts...

Offline Yubum

• Complete Novice
« Reply #2107 on: May 25, 2020, 12:03:29 PM »
I think the main reason the gag never hit home with me on this Wacky is because Tom Thumb donuts were a summer staple up here in Canada at the PNE. Just assumed everyone loved tiny donuts...

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #2108 on: May 25, 2020, 12:10:17 PM »

One of my favorites!  Really good gag with matching taglines.  They captured the box perfectly, and added a funny character.  Of course, having worked there I might be biased now, but I remember liking this one as a kid, too.  I stuck one of these on my locker at work once, and the owner did not find it amusing   >(   What the hell, it made up for having to wear that god awful dress and donut tree apron.  I eventually convinced him that I could learn to be a baker, and then I was allowed to wear that uniform instead - aaahh, pants!  I still have that DD baker's apron.  Time to make the donuts.... poor Fred the Baker (and me)!

Offline mikecho

« Reply #2109 on: May 25, 2020, 12:28:10 PM »
One of my favorites!  Really good gag with matching taglines.  They captured the box perfectly, and added a funny character.  Of course, having worked there I might be biased now, but I remember liking this one as a kid, too.  I stuck one of these on my locker at work once, and the owner did not find it amusing   >(   What the hell, it made up for having to wear that god awful dress and donut tree apron.  I eventually convinced him that I could learn to be a baker, and then I was allowed to wear that uniform instead - aaahh, pants!  I still have that DD baker's apron.  Time to make the donuts.... poor Fred the Baker (and me)!
Pat, what do you think of all the Dunkin' Donuts Wackys Topps has done since this one?

Offline Swiski

« Reply #2110 on: May 25, 2020, 12:30:13 PM »
How many were there? I just remember Dukin' Donuts.

What would have made this parody just a little better is to replace the green bowtie guy with a pygmy.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2020, 12:32:15 PM by Swiski »

Offline MoldRush

« Reply #2111 on: May 25, 2020, 07:23:47 PM »

One of my favorites from the 13th, and OS overall.  Like Bathless Ribbons, although not particularly funny, the visual really did it for me.  Also appealed to my love of junk food of course.  And with the retro graphics/packaging, my appreciation of it has only grown with time.  Was very happy to see it reprinted in the Reissues, along with Playskull and a few other 13ths.

BTW Swiski, if you’re rolling these out in checklist order, I think you inadvertently skipped over Icicle Playing cards.

Online bigtomi

« Reply #2112 on: May 25, 2020, 08:46:39 PM »
BTW Swiski, if you’re rolling these out in checklist order, I think you inadvertently skipped over Icicle Playing cards.
It was covered on the prior page, starting at reply 2095, I believe.

Offline MoldRush

« Reply #2113 on: May 25, 2020, 09:00:14 PM »
My bad.  When the Jay Lynch sketch of Bathless Right-Ons was posted, I’d assumed that everything immediately preceding was all Bathless Ribbons too, as it was getting a lot of comments.  Guess I didn’t check further back to see that another title snuck in there.

Offline MoldRush

« Reply #2114 on: May 25, 2020, 09:05:46 PM »
How many were there? I just remember Dukin' Donuts.
Gosh there were a lot in ANS.
Punkin’ Donuts
Dungeon Donuts
Dumpin’ Donuts (cup of coffee)
Bumpkin Dimwits (ground coffee)
And I think a few more, whose names elude me now.

Offline mikecho

« Reply #2115 on: May 25, 2020, 09:40:22 PM »
Gosh there were a lot in ANS.
Punkin’ Donuts
Dungeon Donuts
Dumpin’ Donuts (cup of coffee)
Bumpkin Dimwits (ground coffee)
And I think a few more, whose names elude me now.
If you want to know all of them, look up "What is the most-parodied product among all Wackys?" on pg. 1, Reply #5.

Offline Swiski

« Reply #2116 on: May 26, 2020, 04:24:12 AM »
If you want to know all of them, look up "What is the most-parodied product among all Wackys?" on pg. 1, Reply #5.

Amazing and thorough list you put together. I admit many of the ANS series titles I forget, but many stick in my mind as well. Didn't realize that many Dunkin Donuts parodies were made!

It would be cool to see a forum thread devoted to comparing different parodies of the same product, from vintage to modern day.

Offline Swiski

« Reply #2117 on: May 26, 2020, 05:13:32 AM »
Screech Tragic Embalming Tape compared to Scotch Magic Transparent Tape. Anyone have better quality images of the real products? The ones I found are low resolution quality.

Offline Yubum

• Complete Novice
« Reply #2118 on: May 26, 2020, 07:46:46 AM »
Screech fires both barrels for me. A product I (a Canadian) am actually familiar with and a monster terrorizing a girl. If I'd owned this Wacky as a kid it definitely would have earned a place of honor on my headboard!

Offline sco(o)t

• Looking:Postcard Ser4 BUGWEISER Smokin' Joe sketch
« Reply #2119 on: May 26, 2020, 08:12:50 AM »
Screech fires both barrels for me. A product I (a Canadian) am actually familiar with and a monster terrorizing a girl. If I'd owned this Wacky as a kid it definitely would have earned a place of honor on my headboard!

Always liked SCREECH. The woman and mummy almost look 3D in this one. And that easy to miss tag, "You'll need and M1" spoof of the 3M company, makes me smile.
aka Scot Leibacher (no trademark)

Offline Swiski

« Reply #2120 on: May 26, 2020, 09:40:10 AM »
Wonder why they didn't make the tape look like the mummy's cloth wrappings.

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #2121 on: May 26, 2020, 09:50:31 AM »
Wonder why they didn't make the tape look like the mummy's cloth wrappings.

That would have made it a fantastic Wacky!

Offline Swiski

« Reply #2122 on: May 26, 2020, 09:57:39 AM »
That would have made it a fantastic Wacky!

Maybe it was a detail the illustrator thought of last minute, but because Topps needed them to be printed ASAP, he didn't have the time to change it.

Offline MoldRush

« Reply #2123 on: May 26, 2020, 11:24:39 AM »
Another great monster character embellishment!  Unlike Botch Tape from Series 2, the addition of a backer card gave the artists a bigger canvas to work with.  And speaking of Botch, the Screech packaging design is close to what the product looks like today, some 45 years later.  But just 2 years earlier, the Botch design looks like it’s decades older.  Strange.  I wonder if it was somewhere in this 1973-75 window that 3M first came up with the ‘magic tape’ technology, where the tape is less shiny, thinner, and is much less visible after it’s applied to something.  In my mind’s eye, Botch takes me back to a time when all transparent tape looked like packing tape, and had a yellowish/tannish tint to it when viewed on the roll.

Offline MoldRush

« Reply #2124 on: May 26, 2020, 11:27:07 AM »
Looking at package again, it indeed appears the ‘magic tape’ was something relatively new.

Offline DrSushi

« Reply #2125 on: May 26, 2020, 01:15:18 PM »
Always liked SCREECH. The woman and mummy almost look 3D in this one. And that easy to miss tag, "You'll need and M1" spoof of the 3M company, makes me smile.

Even after you pointed it out, I'm missing the gag. What's "You'll need an M1" mean?

Offline Yubum

• Complete Novice
« Reply #2126 on: May 26, 2020, 01:57:03 PM »
Even after you pointed it out, I'm missing the gag. What's "You'll need an M1" mean?

M1 is a submachine gun, aka Tommy Gun.

Offline DrSushi

« Reply #2127 on: May 26, 2020, 03:20:58 PM »
M1 is a submachine gun, aka Tommy Gun.

Thanks!

Offline Swiski

« Reply #2128 on: May 27, 2020, 12:41:22 PM »
Ugh! Magazine parodies again. Bum's Life and Boy's Life. Not even the title logo matches, and I grabbed group images from both 1974 and 1975.

Offline MoldRush

« Reply #2129 on: May 27, 2020, 08:56:57 PM »
Ugh! Magazine parodies again. Bum's Life and Boy's Life. Not even the title logo matches, and I grabbed group images from both 1974 and 1975.

I wondered about that too.  It’s reasonably close to the 1974 copies, but the font looks different and obviously should have been painted in black not red.  The red framing looks like another needless embellishment that’s not present on any of the magazine examples shown.  Other than that it’s an ok title.  Boys’ Life was a magazine I saw around a lot back then, so I like that they chose it for a Wacky.   I think the magazine titles would be better appreciated if they filled the card space better.  The finished stickers are all a little undersized.  This has been discussed before, and I think there may have been a specific reason they were printed smaller, but can’t remember for sure.

Offline Swiski

« Reply #2130 on: May 28, 2020, 09:09:07 AM »
Not much to compare on the magazine parody...here is Drain Power and Brain Power.

Online bigtomi

« Reply #2131 on: May 28, 2020, 03:47:48 PM »
I think the magazine titles would be better appreciated if they filled the card space better.  The finished stickers are all a little undersized.  This has been discussed before, and I think there may have been a specific reason they were printed smaller, but can’t remember for sure.
A large part of the explanation is here: http://www.wacky-packages.org/

Offline MoldRush

« Reply #2132 on: May 28, 2020, 06:23:16 PM »
Not much to compare on the magazine parody...here is Drain Power and Brain Power.

Did not see this one until the Reissues, and had no idea what the product was.  Whether I first saw Drain Power in a store or on a TV commercial I’m not sure, but I had no idea there was a product designed to clear drain clogs with a blast of pressurized air.

I guess the exposed gray matter at the top is a worthy entry into the pantheon of gross-out Wackys like Hostile Thinkies, but they could have done a better character than just a generic old guy.  Why not an exploded cranium like the aforementioned Hostile?  Or show a scientist / nerd / genius / college graduate type character?  Something that better conveys the cerebral.

Offline MoldRush

« Reply #2133 on: May 28, 2020, 06:25:29 PM »
Looking at it again I guess they do try to push a concept - cleansing the minds of dirty old men of their impure, perverted thoughts.  Ok, I guess . . . .

Offline Swiski

« Reply #2134 on: May 29, 2020, 05:52:44 AM »
LeRage's and LePage's Mucilage...

anything