Author Topic: Gag Criticism, Variation, and Packaging  (Read 646130 times)

Offline bigtomi

Re: Gag Criticism, Variation, and Packaging
« Reply #1995 on: April 28, 2020, 09:57:57 AM »
The duck theme really isn’t related back to anything.
I don't think this is such a great Wacky, either, but I must be a diplomat here and disagree with this statement. The title ties directly to the duck (a quacks & ajax).

Offline Swiski

« Reply #1996 on: April 28, 2020, 03:37:35 PM »
Killette The Wet Look and Gillette The Dry Look...

Offline MoldRush

« Reply #1997 on: April 28, 2020, 04:57:26 PM »
An entirely unfamiliar product, possibly short-lived with the graphics shown, but great execution on the Wacky.  Very 1970’s!!!  The character looks truly pissed off, giving it a little bit of that “scary Wacky” feel, and the Wacky-within-a-Wacky (smaller can) is a clever finishing touch. 

Offline Swiski

« Reply #1998 on: April 28, 2020, 07:09:40 PM »
An entirely unfamiliar product, possibly short-lived with the graphics shown, but great execution on the Wacky.  Very 1970’s!!!  The character looks truly pissed off, giving it a little bit of that “scary Wacky” feel, and the Wacky-within-a-Wacky (smaller can) is a clever finishing touch.

Ah yes...the Droste effect! I just learned that term here last week from someone who spotted it in another parody.

Offline MoldRush

« Reply #1999 on: April 28, 2020, 08:59:08 PM »
Never knew there was a term for it.  I was going to comment that the smaller can should itself have another tiny can visible, and so on until only the smallest speck can be seen.  Hard to do more than once or twice when you’re starting with a 3” tall image I’m sure.

Offline drono

« Reply #2000 on: April 29, 2020, 04:08:20 AM »
I remember the commercials for it on TV only for the phrase "the wet head is dead!"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KDDl8CUhAyE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IzvExze3-kk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_2AQ4M-pXlI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cqk3Rq4a2c4

I seem to remember one with beautiful models all saying "the wet head is dead," but I didn't see it.  I think it was a response to the Joe Namath Brylcreem commercials "a little dab will do ya' for men who use the heads about their hair."

Offline Gurgle

• recommends zircon-encrusted tweezers
« Reply #2001 on: April 29, 2020, 12:02:09 PM »
I never knew what the original product was. Thanks!

Getting back to Dud's root beer, I also discovered Jay Lynch's rough art for that parody matches the real product more closely.

Offline Swiski

« Reply #2002 on: April 29, 2020, 07:12:27 PM »
Brandy Land and Candy Land...

Offline Baked Bears

« Reply #2003 on: April 30, 2020, 05:14:11 AM »
Great parody all around!  One of my favorites from this series.  The pink elephant is a wonderful touch.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2020, 07:17:24 AM by Baked Bears »

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #2004 on: April 30, 2020, 09:21:03 AM »

A fantastic and memorable Wacky to be sure (for me, at least!)  Great gag, perfect taglines, great characters and art.  Wouldn't change a thing!

Offline Alexeirex

« Reply #2005 on: April 30, 2020, 09:42:01 AM »
I remember the commercials for it on TV only for the phrase "the wet head is dead!"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KDDl8CUhAyE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IzvExze3-kk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_2AQ4M-pXlI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cqk3Rq4a2c4

I seem to remember one with beautiful models all saying "the wet head is dead," but I didn't see it.  I think it was a response to the Joe Namath Brylcreem commercials "a little dab will do ya' for men who use the heads about their hair."

The rest of it went - 'Long live the dry look - from Gillette!' - I think....A

Offline Swiski

« Reply #2006 on: May 01, 2020, 05:24:58 AM »
Creep, along with the classic Crust parody, compared to Crest

Offline Bigmuc13

« Reply #2007 on: May 01, 2020, 06:16:55 AM »

This one is one of the all time greats.  They really nailed it.  The packaging is perfect.  I love the large bottle of booze replacing the house.  And of course the pink elephant replacing the ginger bread man.  Not sure this one could get made today with the PC police.  I am sure the drunk ids would't pass the smell test.  Also, on the original box, I love the Two Guys price tag!  We had Two Guys near us in Western New York.  Loved going there.
Still looking for Series 17

Offline Zenergizer

« Reply #2008 on: May 01, 2020, 07:42:07 AM »
I always loved the parodies of classic board games, I don't there are too many
that Topps didn't get perfectly?

Well, maybe "Monotony" could have had a better character on it, but still not bad.

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #2009 on: May 01, 2020, 08:28:24 AM »
This one is one of the all time greats.  They really nailed it.  The packaging is perfect.  I love the large bottle of booze replacing the house.  And of course the pink elephant replacing the ginger bread man.  Not sure this one could get made today with the PC police.  I am sure the drunk ids would't pass the smell test.  Also, on the original box, I love the Two Guys price tag!  We had Two Guys near us in Western New York.  Loved going there.

Agreed on the Wacky, would like this as a wall cling.  And, I remember Two Guys stores - I got Star Trek toys there sometimes.. 

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #2010 on: May 01, 2020, 08:33:45 AM »
Creep, along with the classic Crust parody, compared to Crest

This one just seems disjointed to me.  If you're toothless, why do you need fang paste?  And, is it for creeps or monsters?

Not sure where spinach flavor comes in........

Offline Swiski

« Reply #2011 on: May 01, 2020, 09:54:10 AM »
This one just seems disjointed to me.  If you're toothless, why do you need fang paste?  And, is it for creeps or monsters?

Not sure where spinach flavor comes in........

Agreed, and that old guy with fangs is creepy but not a monster-like creep. Something I noticed on both parodies...the red triangle is near the cap area, but the real product has the red triangle on the other end and it doesn't bleed off.

Offline MoldRush

« Reply #2012 on: May 01, 2020, 06:32:22 PM »
Quote from: Swiski link=topic=4739.msg104207#msg104207 date=158835i2050
Something I noticed on both parodies...the red triangle is near the cap area, but the real product has the red triangle on the other end and it doesn't bleed off.
Another indication that the real product is a bit of a later (or earlier?) version is that in both Crust and Creep, the letters ‘wobble’ a bit up and down, whereas on the real product they’re in a straight line...subtle difference, but considering the two spoofs span 1967-1975, the real product must have carried the wobbly letters for quite some time.

Offline MoldRush

« Reply #2013 on: May 01, 2020, 06:39:51 PM »
Brandy Land - another one I would have loved had I not missed the 12th...had Candy Land as a kid and played it a lot.  Really cool art on the game board.  But alas, did not see Brandy Land until 1980, at the ‘mature’ age of 13.

Creep - nothing overly special about the spoof, although the character makes me think of a Famous Monsters magazine cover.  But I love the simple packaging design and cool fonts so much that I’m glad they spoofed it again.  Of course I’m much more partial to Crust, but Creep works for me too.

Offline Swiski

« Reply #2014 on: May 02, 2020, 04:44:25 AM »
Another indication that the real product is a bit of a later (or earlier?) version is that in both Crust and Creep, the letters ‘wobble’ a bit up and down, whereas on the real product they’re in a straight line...subtle difference, but considering the two spoofs span 1967-1975, the real product must have carried the wobbly letters for quite some time.

I found these older packaging images. Closer a little to the parody but not quite exact...

Offline Swiski

« Reply #2015 on: May 03, 2020, 04:25:57 AM »
Finishing off the vintage 12th series is Milk Muds compared to Milk Duds. The large brown box is used more practically on the parody than the real product.

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #2016 on: May 03, 2020, 04:44:40 AM »
Finishing off the vintage 12th series is Milk Muds compared to Milk Duds. The large brown box is used more practically on the parody than the real product.

This is another great Wacky in Series 12!  Great gag and associated taglines, and a candy I was very familiar with.  And the wasted brown space on the real box is SO much improved by the well painted character.

Offline MoldRush

« Reply #2017 on: May 03, 2020, 07:32:37 AM »
Agree with Pat, the character really livens up the Wacky.  I like the ‘Hollowhead’ change, he certainly looks the part.  Noticed that the character has that weird little illumination effect, which I’ve commented on in one or two titles from prior series.  Not a complaint, just adds a little mystique I guess.

No offense to Series 12, but I’m really looking forward to Series 13, a personal favorite.  I remember a poll being conducted on the old forum ranking the popularity of each series.  I don’t remember where 13 landed overall, but Paul A absolutely trashed 13 while praising 11, which I could never understand.  To me the only knock on Series 13 you could have is the magazines, some of which are a bit lame, but 11 has even more magazines!  Sure there are a few dogs in the series, but what series doesn’t have any?  Anyway, we’ll see how the individual titles are reviewed, which is probably a better way to gauge the collective opinions of the series overall.

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #2018 on: May 03, 2020, 08:26:06 AM »
Agree with Pat, the character really livens up the Wacky.  I like the ‘Hollowhead’ change, he certainly looks the part.  Noticed that the character has that weird little illumination effect, which I’ve commented on in one or two titles from prior series.  Not a complaint, just adds a little mystique I guess.

No offense to Series 12, but I’m really looking forward to Series 13, a personal favorite.  I remember a poll being conducted on the old forum ranking the popularity of each series.  I don’t remember where 13 landed overall, but Paul A absolutely trashed 13 while praising 11, which I could never understand.  To me the only knock on Series 13 you could have is the magazines, some of which are a bit lame, but 11 has even more magazines!  Sure there are a few dogs in the series, but what series doesn’t have any?  Anyway, we’ll see how the individual titles are reviewed, which is probably a better way to gauge the collective opinions of the series overall.

13 has some stellar titles!  Looking forward to playing cards while eating some donuts and ice cream  :P

Offline drono

« Reply #2019 on: May 03, 2020, 12:18:40 PM »
13 has some stellar titles! 

I remember taking the kids trick-or-treating and calling those little boxes Milk Muds.  One of the great titles that always stuck in my mind.

Offline MoldRush

« Reply #2020 on: May 03, 2020, 01:04:36 PM »
13 has some stellar titles!  Looking forward to playing cards while eating some donuts and ice cream  :P
Will you have a free hand to play some paddle ball?   ;)

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #2021 on: May 03, 2020, 02:33:26 PM »
Will you have a free hand to play some paddle ball?   ;)

Absolutely!

Offline Swiski

« Reply #2022 on: May 03, 2020, 02:35:22 PM »
Love the 13th series? How about the first entry from the checklist today! I know some will be SORE that I'm moving along fast, but I'm SURE some of you won't mind  :]

Offline MoldRush

« Reply #2023 on: May 03, 2020, 07:27:21 PM »
A nice opener, well-rendered can and graphics.  The character is funny, looks like an angry wrestler.  I don’t think I saw this one until 1980 Reissues, but liked it right away.  Harkens back to a time when most deodorants were either aerosol sprays or roll-ons (also essentially liquid), unlike the stick deodorants more prominent today.

Offline Swiski

« Reply #2024 on: May 06, 2020, 04:58:41 AM »
Playskull Monster Building Parts and Playskool Building Cups

Offline MoldRush

« Reply #2025 on: May 06, 2020, 04:26:41 PM »
An all-time favorite, hands down.  Probably the most iconic title in the series.  The Frankenstein monster theme, the screaming kid, the great balance of bright colors, this one has it all.  And a bit reminiscent of Aurora models to boot!

I only learned in the past couple years that there is a Playskool kit with the stacking cups shown.  I always figured it was a simple wooden blocks type set, and that the cylindrical shapes were created just to make the parody work.

Offline Bigmuc13

« Reply #2026 on: May 06, 2020, 04:47:49 PM »
Love the 13th series? How about the first entry from the checklist today! I know some will be SORE that I'm moving along fast, but I'm SURE some of you won't mind  :]

Could be George 'The Animal" Steele. 

Offline Bigmuc13

« Reply #2027 on: May 06, 2020, 04:49:31 PM »
An all-time favorite, hands down.  Probably the most iconic title in the series.  The Frankenstein monster theme, the screaming kid, the great balance of bright colors, this one has it all.  And a bit reminiscent of Aurora models to boot!

It is a great on, but I never understood the fangs on Frankenstein.....

Offline MoldRush

« Reply #2028 on: May 06, 2020, 05:16:02 PM »
Good “point” there.  Never realized, that qualifies for a “what’s wrong with this picture?”

Offline vahsurfer

« Reply #2029 on: May 06, 2020, 05:25:02 PM »
a TRUE Piece of comparative art!