Author Topic: Gag Criticism, Variation, and Packaging  (Read 640325 times)

Offline Swiski

Re: Gag Criticism, Variation, and Packaging
« Reply #1890 on: March 24, 2020, 12:38:46 PM »
Paydough and Payday. I'm going a little faster than normal with these comparisons...almost daily. But a lot of us are home anyways

Offline BustedFinger

• Just a simple collector. No books, no websites, no arguments!
  • I wonder where this text will appear?
« Reply #1891 on: March 24, 2020, 03:10:40 PM »
Paydough and Payday. I'm going a little faster than normal with these comparisons...almost daily. But a lot of us are home anyways

Ha - That one reminds me of one of the Wacky quizzes I created many years ago.  One of the questions was about Wackys that depict money.  The gist of the question was about going to the store with a Bit O Money and buying something and then how much change would you get back.  The answer was something like Pay Dough and Cents.  At least I think that's what it was.....   Too bad all those old posts from Greg's old forum are lost.
Giving "The Hobby" the finger since 1999!

Offline MoldRush

« Reply #1892 on: March 25, 2020, 06:52:09 PM »

A decent embellishment of rather simple packaging, much like Pieces.  Not the strongest gag, as it’s only being consistent with the real product name, but the little greenbacks are a nice touch.

Offline Swiski

« Reply #1893 on: March 26, 2020, 11:48:36 AM »
Topsoil Sootball and Topps Football...

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #1894 on: March 26, 2020, 01:25:14 PM »
Topsoil Sootball and Topps Football...

A so-so Wacky for me, I guess partly because the "toughest" bubblegum tagline doesn't match with the sooty/dirty theme.  I think "filthiest" would have worked better. 

The player is a nice addition, and the wrapper is well rendered.

Offline Swiski

« Reply #1895 on: March 29, 2020, 08:08:09 AM »
Trying to stay active here at home, raising my spirits and hopefully others.

Next up, Siesta and Zesta crackers. I always assumed the real product was Fiesta crackers until I found the comparison packaging image, found on the back of a deck of cards, of all things. But it's an exact match!

Offline Baked Bears

« Reply #1896 on: March 29, 2020, 10:58:26 AM »
I like how Norm made the sleeping man barefoot and put his sandals at the base of the tree.  I never noticed them before.  Whether it's bubbles in a bottle or a dog's footprint on the side of a cereal bowl (Cocoa Pups,) details such as this don't necessarily make or break a Wacky - in fact, they may not even be funny - however they do give them just a little something extra, something to take notice of.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2020, 04:57:15 AM by Baked Bears »

Offline MoldRush

« Reply #1897 on: April 01, 2020, 05:52:40 PM »
I thought real product was Fiesta too.  Never saw any of Series 12 until late 90’s, so there was no opportunity for associated real products to enter my consciousness, other than the more dominant ones that looked the same for years, like Reese’s, Bottle Caps, Duncan Hines, and several others.  That being said, a nice embellishment of the product.  Nicely sprinkled with characters to spruce things up.

As for Sootball, not a lot of space to work with given the large football shape and letters, but an iconic wrapper design for the era.  I like it ok, but would probably like it a lot more had I seen it through the eyes of my 8-year old self at the time.  I loved Beastball in the 13th because I was collecting those cards at the same time, but ah, getting ahead of myself again.

Offline Swiski

« Reply #1898 on: April 02, 2020, 06:31:34 AM »
Next up...Martian Hats and Mexican Hats. Was there ever a yellow version of the real product box? If not, I photoshopped the real product to simulate a yellow backdrop.

« Last Edit: April 02, 2020, 06:40:09 AM by Swiski »

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #1899 on: April 02, 2020, 08:20:27 AM »
Next up...Martian Hats and Mexican Hats. Was there ever a yellow version of the real product box? If not, I photoshopped the real product to simulate a yellow backdrop.

This is one of my favorites!  Great gag, the candy piece shapes totally lend themselves to flying saucers, the "spice" flavor is perfect to change to the "space" theme, and there's a cool alien with a spaceship on his head!!  The box is very well done, but I can't say whether it was ever yellow for this particular candy. 

Offline sco(o)t

• Looking:Postcard Ser4 BUGWEISER Smokin' Joe sketch
« Reply #1900 on: April 02, 2020, 12:51:10 PM »

Looks like both yellow and green boxes existed. Your mock up is spot on.

aka Scot Leibacher (no trademark)

Offline Fanatical_and_Sickly

• Administrator
« Reply #1901 on: April 02, 2020, 01:24:47 PM »
The yellow one you posted is Jason Liebig’s mockup of what one would look like. Jason hasn’t found one, and if one existed, he’d be the guy to know.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2020, 05:13:08 AM by Fanatical_and_Sickly »

Offline MoldRush

« Reply #1902 on: April 02, 2020, 03:29:23 PM »

Love the parody AND the real product - incredibly kitschy!  Although I imagine calling them Mexican hats would no longer fly as un-PC.  Why Mexican?  I suppose ‘Panama Hats’ could work because that’s a real product.  Sort of like Hawaiian Punch.  I don’t remember ever seeing this candy with the original box design.  I’d love to have one - I’d display it right next to my Chocolate Babies box lol.

Offline sco(o)t

« Reply #1903 on: April 03, 2020, 03:12:22 AM »
The yellow one you posted is Jason Liebig’s mockup of what one would look like. Jason hasn’t found one, and if one existed, he’d be the guy to known.

Ha! Then Swiski”s mockup is spot on with Jason”s mockup. I was a victim of one of Jason”s pet peeves... uncredited photos on the Internet.

Offline MoldRush

« Reply #1904 on: April 03, 2020, 01:58:23 PM »

Another little oddity I just noticed now - in the parody the artist takes the liberty of replacing the black licorice piece of candy pictured with a blue one.  Same exact thing was done with Knuckles in Series 5.  Wonder if there’s something about painting or printing nuanced shades of black that presents technical challenges where another color does not.  Curious for sure.

Offline Bigmuc13

« Reply #1905 on: April 04, 2020, 09:26:04 AM »
Another little oddity I just noticed now - in the parody the artist takes the liberty of replacing the black licorice piece of candy pictured with a blue one.  Same exact thing was done with Knuckles in Series 5.  Wonder if there’s something about painting or printing nuanced shades of black that presents technical challenges where another color does not.  Curious for sure.

Maybe they just ran out of black paint that day  :]
Still looking for Series 17

Offline MoldRush

« Reply #1906 on: April 04, 2020, 09:40:52 AM »
Also didn’t realize these are different from Dots or Jujyfruits in that they’re spice-flavored gumdrops, not fruit flavored.  I guess calling them Mexican hats makes a little more sense in that Mexican food has a reputation as hot and spicy, though spearmint, peppermint, clove, etc are a far cry from jalapeńo, poblano, ghost peppers, etc. lol.

Offline bigtomi

« Reply #1907 on: April 04, 2020, 10:16:51 AM »
I would say in the case of Knuckles, if they didn't use a color other than black, it would appear that the packaging had an empty spot in the middle of it, yes? Going to blue makes sense here to me, since it's a dark-ish color that won't blend into the background of the art. Doesn't really explain Martian Hats still, I guess...maybe it's as simple as they wanted the art to be more colorful by limiting the amount of black used, since the border is black.

Offline MoldRush

« Reply #1908 on: April 04, 2020, 10:44:06 AM »
Yes, I wondered about that too - maybe the artist saw the replacement of the black color with blue as a way to make the overall color scheme more vibrant, sort of like M&Ms going with blue for a better color mix.  I can still remember when M&Ms had two shades of brown plus red, yellow, green & orange, an odd blend for sure

Offline MoldRush

« Reply #1909 on: April 04, 2020, 10:53:13 AM »
Just checked on Jujyfruits vs Jerkyfruits, the one remaining candy box I can think of that has a black licorice drop (other than Black Crows of course).  Real product box has several black gumdrops, while parody has one partially obscured gumdrop car that looks like it could be either black or dark purple - hard to tell.  But not the same switch to blue.

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #1910 on: April 04, 2020, 11:16:10 AM »
Yes, I wondered about that too - maybe the artist saw the replacement of the black color with blue as a way to make the overall color scheme more vibrant, sort of like M&Ms going with blue for a better color mix.  I can still remember when M&Ms had two shades of brown plus red, yellow, green & orange, an odd blend for sure

I always used wonder why there weren't blue M&Ms.  And the tan ones were so very dull.

On the Wackys, like Martian Hats, I think the blue candy piece makes the packaging "pop" a little more than a black one would.

Offline MoldRush

« Reply #1911 on: April 04, 2020, 11:28:17 AM »
Although the original M&Ms color blend was odd, I can’t say blue ever crossed my mind, because it’s just not a natural food color.  So when they went with blue that struck me even weirder at first.  But I guess as time went on, blue was increasingly used in candy and other products such as “blue raspberry” jello and beverages, it sort of got gradually forced into our consciousness as an acceptable food/flavor color.

Offline Swiski

« Reply #1912 on: April 04, 2020, 01:02:29 PM »
Next up is another candy parody - Battle Caps and Bottle Caps

Offline sco(o)t

« Reply #1913 on: April 04, 2020, 03:55:48 PM »
Next up is another candy parody - Battle Caps and Bottle Caps

I guess this one would not make the cut today for PC reasons. I'm a Scout leader and we can't do paintball or laser-tag because they emulate war. I remember my sister, 4 years younger than me, looking at this sticker and asking why two guys from the same army were shooting at each other. I assume since they both had similar helmets and uniforms. Never one of my fave Wackies or candy.

Offline Swiski

« Reply #1914 on: April 07, 2020, 05:19:36 AM »
Wash 'n Fly and Wash 'n Dri...

Offline MoldRush

« Reply #1915 on: April 07, 2020, 01:01:38 PM »
Battle Caps - the real product wrapper is so classic that I can’t see any way to make a parody stand out even more.  That said, obvious enough parody choice but execution not bad.  Another example of tweaking dimensions to accommodate more art.

Wash n Fly - for the longest time I thought this was some obscure bar soap.  Not much else to say - with no familiarity of the product, it just strikes me in a neutral kind of way.

Offline sco(o)t

« Reply #1916 on: April 07, 2020, 05:31:12 PM »
I think this one was a master stroke in changing the “swish” into a ghost. Just wish the gags were a little more fitting on this one.

Offline Swiski

« Reply #1917 on: April 08, 2020, 05:32:10 AM »
I think this one was a master stroke in changing the “swish” into a ghost. Just wish the gags were a little more fitting on this one.

Yeah, that's one of my favorite parts too...the swish is a ghost on the parody. Almost as cool as the swish on Cheer detergent turned into a bird on Cheep!

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #1918 on: April 08, 2020, 06:35:53 AM »
Yeah, that's one of my favorite parts too...the swish is a ghost on the parody. Almost as cool as the swish on Cheer detergent turned into a bird on Cheep!

Same here, love the ghost.  Decent parody, and the boring box is well rendered, with the ghost adding to it.

Offline BustedFinger

• Just a simple collector. No books, no websites, no arguments!
  • I wonder where this text will appear?
« Reply #1919 on: April 08, 2020, 09:49:34 AM »
Wash 'n Fly and Wash 'n Dri...

Wow - I don't think, until this very moment, that I realized that this was a personal towelette product.  The Wacky makes it seem like it is some kind of laundry soap
Giving "The Hobby" the finger since 1999!

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #1920 on: April 08, 2020, 10:02:07 AM »
Wow - I don't think, until this very moment, that I realized that this was a personal towelette product.  The Wacky makes it seem like it is some kind of laundry soap

My mom always had some of these in her purse for sticky hands.  Guess that's what she got for treating us to ice cream sometimes!

Offline MoldRush

« Reply #1921 on: April 08, 2020, 10:33:17 AM »
Yes, the name Wash n Dri sounds very laundry-oriented, whether a detergent or fabric softener.  I would think a ‘moist towelette’, as they’re often called, would have had a completely different name, something to the effect of clean hands.

Offline Swiski

« Reply #1922 on: April 09, 2020, 10:27:22 AM »
Weak Germ and Wheat Germ...

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #1923 on: April 09, 2020, 12:17:13 PM »
Weak Germ and Wheat Germ...

I didn't appreciate this one as a kid, but now that I know what wheat germ is, I guess the main gag isn't so bad.  The bottle and lid are quite well done.  The guy, especially the shadowing, is also impressive.  Still, just not a favorite for me.

Offline MoldRush

« Reply #1924 on: April 09, 2020, 04:46:14 PM »
Didn’t see this until the Reissues, but liked it right away.  The character with tiny dumbbells is cute, the glass bottle rendering is once again spot on, and one thing different - overall the image seems very slightly blurry or out of focus, which gives it a real vintage, throwback feel.  Or something, can’t quite put my finger on it.