Author Topic: Gag Criticism, Variation, and Packaging  (Read 640575 times)

Offline Swiski

Re: Gag Criticism, Variation, and Packaging
« Reply #1785 on: November 13, 2019, 06:44:27 PM »
The Chimpanzee-Champion comparison didn't "spark" :] any interest, so here's the next one...

Decay compared to....nothing?

Here is what the Lost Wackys website says about it:

"According to Len Brown, the creator of Decay, this wacky was not based on any actual product.  However, I found that Dacco Toothpaste (only available in Asia and Europe) was the number 1 selling brand in Vietnam during the wacky era.  No doubt that many G.I.'s brought some home after the war, and perhaps Len encountered a tube or two before writing the Decay gag."

« Last Edit: November 13, 2019, 07:03:39 PM by Swiski »

Offline MoldRush

« Reply #1786 on: November 13, 2019, 07:02:43 PM »
With the recent Halloween release by Neil and Dave's Old School 8, this thread took a back seat to all the exciting news.

Back on track, here is Chimpanzee and Champion spark plugs...

I guess most of our then-juvenile minds had little knowledge or familiarity with spark plugs or auto parts products in general, hence the lack of reaction to this parody, but looking at it now I think they did a nice job with this one.  Any kind of ape character is usually a winner too.

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #1787 on: November 14, 2019, 01:11:55 AM »
I missed commenting on Chimpanzee because I was focused on Old School  :P

I think it's a great gag with a funny tag line that fits in, and they really nailed the packaging.  The plug itself is fantastic!

Offline sco(o)t

• Looking:Postcard Ser4 BUGWEISER Smokin' Joe sketch
« Reply #1788 on: November 14, 2019, 08:53:42 AM »
I missed commenting on Chimpanzee because I was focused on Old School  :P

I think it's a great gag with a funny tag line that fits in, and they really nailed the packaging.  The plug itself is fantastic!

I have always like this one two but wished the top of the spark plug had been a banana.
aka Scot Leibacher (no trademark)

Offline Swiski

« Reply #1789 on: November 22, 2019, 08:00:37 PM »
The Chimpanzee-Champion comparison didn't "spark" :] any interest, so here's the next one...

Decay compared to....nothing?

Here is what the Lost Wackys website says about it:

"According to Len Brown, the creator of Decay, this wacky was not based on any actual product.  However, I found that Dacco Toothpaste (only available in Asia and Europe) was the number 1 selling brand in Vietnam during the wacky era.  No doubt that many G.I.'s brought some home after the war, and perhaps Len encountered a tube or two before writing the Decay gag."

Nobody has any more information on the Decay parody?

Offline Swiski

« Reply #1790 on: November 22, 2019, 08:02:20 PM »
I was really looking forward to this one!! Can you guess why? LOL

Swiss Fright and Swiss Knight...

Offline Baked Bears

« Reply #1791 on: November 23, 2019, 12:48:20 PM »
Good gag all around!  Everything ties together nicely!

Around the holidays, my parents used to buy Swiss Knight and a cheese spread made by Kraft (that came in a small jar that one could later wash out and use as a small juice glass.  Now that I consider it, I cannot think of any product that comes in a jar that also doubles as a drinking glass.  At one time, or so it seems, they used to be rather common.  For that matter, they no longer distribute collectible glasses at fast food chains, either.  At least not to my knowledge.)

Offline MoldRush

« Reply #1792 on: November 29, 2019, 07:05:33 AM »
Yes, I remember seeing those spreadable cheeses around the holidays a lot.  Sometimes in small jars or tubs, sometimes rolled in balls coated in chopped nuts, etc.  I always pondered the type marbled with red color - was that cherry flavor?  How does that work as a cheese flavor?  Can’t say I ever tasted one.  I also remember looking at those edible gift baskets in mail order catalogs, the ones with crackers, salami, canned spreads, fruits, etc.  The soft cheeses would often be part of those.

As for Swiss Fright, another example of great foil detail work.  Has that same illuminated effect as another recent title we talked about (Hairy Lee?).

Offline bigtomi

« Reply #1793 on: November 29, 2019, 10:12:05 AM »
I always pondered the type marbled with red color - was that cherry flavor?
LOL. It's port wine flavoring.

Offline MoldRush

« Reply #1794 on: November 29, 2019, 10:35:31 AM »
LOL. It's port wine flavoring.
Further proof of my ignorance in the world of spreadable cheeses!

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #1795 on: November 29, 2019, 11:29:31 AM »
I was really looking forward to this one!! Can you guess why? LOL

Swiss Fright and Swiss Knight...

I always thought this was a solid Wacky - good gag with funny matching taglines, and well rendered packaging.

Offline Swiski

« Reply #1796 on: December 05, 2019, 09:11:47 PM »
Muler's Dregg Noodles and Mueller's Egg Noodles. The thin red and thick blue stripes have been consistent for years, even as the logo and packaging design changed.

« Last Edit: December 05, 2019, 09:13:50 PM by Swiski »

Offline BustedFinger

• Just a simple collector. No books, no websites, no arguments!
  • I wonder where this text will appear?
« Reply #1797 on: December 06, 2019, 09:04:35 AM »
Muler's Dregg Noodles and Mueller's Egg Noodles. The thin red and thick blue stripes have been consistent for years, even as the logo and packaging design changed.

I never got this one as a kid.  Was not familiar with the product so I had no idea what "dregg" meant.  I do like the donkey though!
Giving "The Hobby" the finger since 1999!

Offline Swiski

« Reply #1798 on: December 06, 2019, 10:37:09 AM »
I never got this one as a kid.  Was not familiar with the product so I had no idea what "dregg" meant.  I do like the donkey though!

I looked up dregg and the word doesn't exist. However the word dregs exists, meaning "the most worthless part of something" (ex. the dregs of society)

Offline Baked Bears

« Reply #1799 on: December 07, 2019, 09:41:07 AM »
I like how the donkey is kicking and tearing apart the cellophane window.

Offline mikecho

« Reply #1800 on: December 07, 2019, 10:41:44 AM »
I like how the donkey is kicking and tearing apart the cellophane window.
Actually, Rob, that's a mule. Fits in with the joke.

Offline Fanatical_and_Sickly

• Administrator
« Reply #1801 on: December 07, 2019, 11:06:16 AM »
Actually, Rob, that's a mule. Fits in with the joke.
the 'noodles for donkeys' joke?  >(

Offline mikecho

« Reply #1802 on: December 07, 2019, 11:30:11 AM »
the 'noodles for donkeys' joke?  >(
Ah, good eyes! I didn't even notice it.

Btw, I meant the company name joke.

Offline BustedFinger

• Just a simple collector. No books, no websites, no arguments!
  • I wonder where this text will appear?
« Reply #1803 on: December 10, 2019, 09:28:45 AM »
Ah, good eyes! I didn't even notice it.

Btw, I meant the company name joke.
Great point about the name "Muler's" and the Donkey tag-line.  Got me wondering:

https://animals.mom.me/difference-between-mules-donkeys-7249.html
Giving "The Hobby" the finger since 1999!

Offline g.u.e.s.t.

« Reply #1804 on: December 10, 2019, 02:45:29 PM »
Great point about the name "Muler's" and the Donkey tag-line.  Got me wondering:

https://animals.mom.me/difference-between-mules-donkeys-7249.html

Ha, without sounding like a jackass, I wondered the same thing. :]

Offline Swiski

« Reply #1805 on: December 13, 2019, 06:59:31 AM »
King O'Scare and King Oscar Sardines compared...

Offline MoldRush

« Reply #1806 on: December 21, 2019, 07:56:56 AM »

Decent Wacky, nice vintage look.  I’m sure I had no idea about sardine brands back in the day though.

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #1807 on: December 21, 2019, 08:31:53 AM »

I had no idea on this specific packaging, but the gag and character were enough to make me smile.

Offline Fanatical_and_Sickly

• Administrator
« Reply #1808 on: December 21, 2019, 10:31:31 AM »
had no idea about the brand as a kid, but it is a nice looking one.
I like how the crowns have been mimicked by replacing them with the open hands

Offline Swiski

« Reply #1809 on: December 24, 2019, 05:17:18 AM »
This holiday season, "warm up" with a cup of Chaffed & Sunburn coffee! Otherwise, have a cup of the mild blend, Chase & Sanborn coffee.

Have a great Christmas, Hanukkah, Kwanzaa and whatever else you may want to celebrate at year's end!!

Offline Swiski

« Reply #1810 on: January 01, 2020, 12:48:12 PM »
Happy 2020! Next in line is Slip Slop Mr. Bog Wet Bread compared to Tip Top Mr. Big White Bread...

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #1811 on: January 01, 2020, 02:00:15 PM »
This holiday season, "warm up" with a cup of Chaffed & Sunburn coffee! Otherwise, have a cup of the mild blend, Chase & Sanborn coffee.

Have a great Christmas, Hanukkah, Kwanzaa and whatever else you may want to celebrate at year's end!!

I never knew this brand, but I think the gag might have been better as Chaffed and Sunburned.

Offline Baked Bears

« Reply #1812 on: January 01, 2020, 05:38:50 PM »
Happy 2020! Next in line is Slip Slop Mr. Bog Wet Bread compared to Tip Top Mr. Big White Bread...

So so.  I think the gag might have been better with a slimy fish or frog in the bag.  Until now, I never knew what bread this was parodying.  I don't recall ever seeing Mr. Big bread anywhere.  I wonder if it was regional, say for example, the midwest?

Offline MoldRush

« Reply #1813 on: January 01, 2020, 06:06:37 PM »
I never knew this brand, but I think the gag might have been better as Chaffed and Sunburned.
Or ‘Chafe and Sunburn’, if one wants to be close as possible to the real product name.

I’ve also never seen this brand until recent years, but I’ve always been fond of all the coffee Wackys, especially those in cans.  Those ribbed cans give the artist (Saunders on all of them I imagine) a good opportunity to show his skills, as do many of the products in glass bottles.

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #1814 on: January 02, 2020, 12:36:03 AM »

Another brand I never heard of, but a good gag with fitting taglines.  The package and bread slices are very well done, and I like the sad character holding the wet bread.

Offline sco(o)t

« Reply #1815 on: January 02, 2020, 07:15:31 AM »

I was not familiar with this brand either. I was the guy sent down to pick up bread and milk from our local store when needed and had not seen this brand. Perhaps a regional item not available in our area. We did have Colonial, Wonder, Bunny others.

Offline sco(o)t

« Reply #1816 on: January 02, 2020, 07:18:10 AM »

This reminded me of the old Scout skit where someone runs on interrupting the emcee, and when asked who they are says I'm Sanborn as he runs away. A few seconds later, another person runs on, again interrupting the emcee, and when questioned announces he is chasing Sanborn. 

Offline Swiski

« Reply #1817 on: January 08, 2020, 05:03:02 AM »
Obviously Gulp oil is a parody of Gulf oil, but I haven't been able to find a photo of a vintage white can with just the logo.

Offline MoldRush

« Reply #1818 on: January 08, 2020, 07:33:36 PM »
Obviously Gulp oil is a parody of Gulf oil, but I haven't been able to find a photo of a vintage white can with just the logo.

Not to get ahead of ourselves, but this observation is the exact opposite of what I see with the Shell Oil parody in Series 15; that is, in that case, the parody is a sort of unrecognizable specialty type of oil, as opposed to a more common Shell product that would feature the seashell logo and red and yellow colors more prominently.  So in that respect I think they did better with Gulp in Series 11.

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #1819 on: January 09, 2020, 12:57:54 AM »

I like the gag, but always kind of thought the tagline about car engines didn't really go with the sight gag of the character drinking the oil.  Great character though, and another nice can lid.

anything