Author Topic: Gag Criticism, Variation, and Packaging  (Read 640725 times)

Offline mikecho

Re: Gag Criticism, Variation, and Packaging
« Reply #1680 on: July 19, 2019, 10:58:06 AM »
As we await news regarding upcoming Wacky products or our Galactic Groceries sketches, here is the next series 10 comparison.

Underworld Deviled Ham and Underwood Be-Deviled Ham. The real product pretty much wrote it's own parody!

I see that you got the names reversed. Is that a mistake, or is it deliberate?

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #1681 on: July 19, 2019, 11:44:41 AM »
As we await news regarding upcoming Wacky products or our Galactic Groceries sketches, here is the next series 10 comparison.

Underworld Deviled Ham and Underwood Be-Deviled Ham. The real product pretty much wrote it's own parody!

Wouldn't change a thing!  Fantastic gag, great taglines, and I love the devil reacting to the pitchfork sticking him in the backside.  My mother used to buy this, and I laughed every time I saw it in the fridge.

Offline Zenergizer

« Reply #1682 on: July 19, 2019, 05:29:23 PM »
funny, my Mother always had this, and my older brother loved deviled ham sandwiches.

Me, love the Wacky, hate the product! 

Offline Brian Mc

« Reply #1683 on: July 19, 2019, 07:27:10 PM »
Perfect Wacky IMO.
Brian Mc

Offline MoldRush

« Reply #1684 on: July 19, 2019, 08:01:04 PM »
funny, my Mother always had this, and my older brother loved deviled ham sandwiches.

Me, love the Wacky, hate the product!
Couldnt bring myself to try the ham (or Spam / Cram for that matter) but I did have the liverwurst and deviled chicken a few times.  Tasty enough, but probably not even remotely healthy.

Offline drono

« Reply #1685 on: July 20, 2019, 09:00:17 AM »
From Wikipedia about Wm. Underwood Co.:
Underwood first canned deviled ham in 1868 as a mixture of ground ham with seasonings; deviling would also be done with other meat and seafood products, including turkey, chicken, tongue and lobster. Deviling consists of adding such spices as pepper sauce, cayenne pepper, Dijon mustard, or chopped chili peppers. Deviled eggs are one well-known example of this process. The devil logo was trademarked in 1870 and it is the oldest food trademark still in use in the United States. The red devil that debuted in 1895 and started as a demonic figure evolved into a much friendlier version when compared to the original.

The older version, in use during the first half of the 20th century, can be seen in many old magazine advertisements, such as one from Woman's Home Companion, August 1921. It lacks the pitchfork and smile of the modern version, but has long fingernails or claws not found in the modern version. The barbed tail is in the shape of the letter W, and along with the lower-case M to the right of the devil forms the abbreviation "Wm.", for William, as in William Underwood. The lettering in the logo and on the can are also spouting small flames, reinforcing the spicy devil concept. In 2008, B&G Foods updated the devil logo by adding color to the previously all-red image. The pitchfork became black, and small amounts of yellow were added in the tail and horns, along with shading to add depth.

« Last Edit: July 20, 2019, 09:02:24 AM by drono »

Offline Swiski

« Reply #1686 on: July 23, 2019, 06:47:26 PM »
Thanks for the history, Drono!

Next is Ruden's compared to Luden's cough drops...

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #1687 on: July 24, 2019, 04:33:58 AM »
Thanks for the history, Drono!

Next is Ruden's compared to Luden's cough drops...

Good gag on the name, and the character sure livens up an otherwise very dull packages.  The tag lines about rude people and 'uncouth' fit in well.  I wonder why it's cough drops on the front and coarse drops on the top?

Offline MoldRush

« Reply #1688 on: July 24, 2019, 07:11:26 PM »
Good gag on the name, and the character sure livens up an otherwise very dull packages.  The tag lines about rude people and 'uncouth' fit in well.  I wonder why it's cough drops on the front and coarse drops on the top?
Call it the Bizzarro Spit n Spill variant!

Offline Swiski

« Reply #1689 on: July 28, 2019, 06:09:30 AM »
Hairy Lee and Sara Lee Brownies. Difficult finding a matching real product image from the 1970s, but I did locate a different Sara Lee dessert that matches the design and layout, along with modern day Sara Lee brownie images.

Offline MoldRush

« Reply #1690 on: July 28, 2019, 08:55:29 AM »
Didn’t see this one until the Reissues, but loved it instantly.  The concept of brownies made to look like living beings with those ridiculous hairpieces may be the most absurd Wacky image ever.  The artwork and foil packaging speaks for itself.  The ultimate in funny, incredibly cute and breathtaking art.

Offline Swiski

« Reply #1691 on: July 30, 2019, 05:15:27 AM »
Hairy Lee and Sara Lee Brownies. Difficult finding a matching real product image from the 1970s, but I did locate a different Sara Lee dessert that matches the design and layout, along with modern day Sara Lee brownie images.

I didn't notice until now that there is a ponytail on the toupee on the far right. Love the rendering and lighting on the aluminum! You can barely see the repeating Hairy Lee logos in lighter red on the red stripe on the left, but amazingly the press could hold those fine details at the time.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2019, 05:17:21 AM by Swiski »

Offline Zenergizer

« Reply #1692 on: July 30, 2019, 08:20:44 AM »
It's strange how these things happen!  I was at the Supermarket last night,
and I just happened to be walking by a small freezer section, no reason why,
and there was a frozen Sara Lee dessert, in the foil packaging, very similar
to the Wacky version.

Offline Baked Bears

« Reply #1693 on: July 30, 2019, 11:33:52 AM »
I didn't notice until now that there is a ponytail on the toupee on the far right. Love the rendering and lighting on the aluminum! You can barely see the repeating Hairy Lee logos in lighter red on the red stripe on the left, but amazingly the press could hold those fine details at the time.

Good eye!  I never spotted the repeating logos before - and probably still wouldn't have had if you hadn't pointed them out.

Offline mikecho

« Reply #1694 on: July 30, 2019, 11:55:34 AM »
Good eye!  I never spotted the repeating logos before - and probably still wouldn't have had if you hadn't pointed them out.
I just took a close look and saw them too! I never would've even noticed it unless you mentioned it, Swiski.

Now I'm going to have to look at my copy of the first Abrams book and see if the same thing is shown there.

Offline ToadallyDude

« Reply #1695 on: July 30, 2019, 04:44:18 PM »
Dang,
It's like history repeating itself a decade or so later.  I remember working on creating 'Hostess Doubles'-like diptychs of Wackys + their original product packaging back in the early 2000s.  Collecting all the old packaging or photos of it is the hardest part, especially from the right time-frame (early 70s), but then matching it up with the right angle & colorization, etc., really gets tough.  Can't remember who was heading those up... one of the many Dave's or Paul's?  But he did some really great ones, and they were posted somewhere for a while.

Offline MoldRush

« Reply #1696 on: July 30, 2019, 06:27:36 PM »
I think Ernie (bandaches) initiated the Wacky doubles project.  He has mentioned it in the past, searching old magazines for images in advertisements and whatnot.

Offline Swiski

« Reply #1697 on: July 31, 2019, 05:04:22 AM »
Dang,
It's like history repeating itself a decade or so later.  I remember working on creating 'Hostess Doubles'-like diptychs of Wackys + their original product packaging back in the early 2000s.  Collecting all the old packaging or photos of it is the hardest part, especially from the right time-frame (early 70s), but then matching it up with the right angle & colorization, etc., really gets tough.  Can't remember who was heading those up... one of the many Dave's or Paul's?  But he did some really great ones, and they were posted somewhere for a while.

Are these images still online somewhere? Maybe their real product images are better than what I have in my collection. I've only been compiling them since 2004.

Offline Swiski

« Reply #1698 on: July 31, 2019, 05:08:46 AM »
I think Ernie (bandaches) initiated the Wacky doubles project.  He has mentioned it in the past, searching old magazines for images in advertisements and whatnot.

Cool! If Ernie has better images than what I'm posting, I'd love to see them, especially if he dug through old magazines and what-not. My source has been the internet. What I'd also love to see is Norman Saunders workbook he had when making the parodies along with sketches and photos, clipped ads of real products for reference.

Offline BustedFinger

• Just a simple collector. No books, no websites, no arguments!
  • I wonder where this text will appear?
« Reply #1699 on: July 31, 2019, 09:28:14 AM »
The Wacky Doubles can be viewed here:

http://www.wackypackage.com/Wacky%20Packs/HTML%20Stuff/project.html

I created several of these myself!
Giving "The Hobby" the finger since 1999!

Offline ToadallyDude

« Reply #1700 on: August 01, 2019, 12:09:13 PM »
Cool!  I think I did a bunch of these too!  I remember contributing photos of the packaging early on, but now that I see them I totally remember doing some of the actual Photoshop work, too.  All-Brain & Bug Wally for sure, and Czecklets.  Thanks for posting the link, Ernie!  I think I need to find my original HD with all my Wacky scans & info on it and make a copy for someone on here to carry the torch.  I'm sure my old database of where all the original Wacky Art is WAY out-dated, though, as it's consolidated considerably since then.

Offline BustedFinger

« Reply #1701 on: August 01, 2019, 05:02:08 PM »
HA HA!  I'm Loren.  Ernie's forum name is Bandaches!

Offline Swiski

« Reply #1702 on: August 01, 2019, 07:59:56 PM »
Poopedridge Farm and Pepperidge Farm Cookies. Wondering if "Broken" was a spoof of "Pecan". Looks like the sugar cookie to me.
I love the attention to details in the logo. Even the vertical wood panels are uneven.

« Last Edit: August 02, 2019, 05:35:59 AM by Swiski »

Offline ToadallyDude

« Reply #1703 on: August 02, 2019, 06:44:39 PM »
HA HA!  I'm Loren.  Ernie's forum name is Bandaches!

Loren... sorry... the link was on his page so I did a switcheroo.  It was YOU that was working on the doubles then, right?  I remember corresponding with someone & sending images back & forth.  But my memory banks are filled with all new info about totally unrelated stuff lately.  I really need to go back & find my old files.

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #1704 on: August 03, 2019, 12:27:52 AM »
Poopedridge Farm and Pepperidge Farm Cookies. Wondering if "Broken" was a spoof of "Pecan". Looks like the sugar cookie to me.
I love the attention to details in the logo. Even the vertical wood panels are uneven.

Decent gag and taglines, great art and details.

Offline Swiski

« Reply #1705 on: August 05, 2019, 08:36:34 PM »
Clunky and Chunky...

Offline sco(o)t

• Looking:Postcard Ser4 BUGWEISER Smokin' Joe sketch
« Reply #1706 on: August 06, 2019, 12:14:42 PM »
Clunky and Chunky...

Always liked this one. Simple but really capitalizes on the shape of the real product. Really nice painting on this one.
aka Scot Leibacher (no trademark)

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #1707 on: August 06, 2019, 01:56:24 PM »
Always liked this one. Simple but really capitalizes on the shape of the real product. Really nice painting on this one.

I agree.  This is a great classic Wacky!  Gag, taglines, packaging and a character added.  I still think of this product by the Wacky title.

Offline Swiski

« Reply #1708 on: August 10, 2019, 02:24:06 PM »
Painters Mixed Up Nuts and Planters Mixed Nuts...

Offline Swiski

« Reply #1709 on: August 15, 2019, 07:18:44 PM »
Wow, this thread is getting buried! I better keep up!

Fishey Prize Toys is a made up product, which parodies Fisher Price Toys. In this case, I referenced the Chatter Telephone for packaging match...

Offline mikecho

« Reply #1710 on: August 15, 2019, 08:40:43 PM »
Wow, this thread is getting buried! I better keep up!

Fishey Prize Toys is a made up product, which parodies Fisher Price Toys. In this case, I referenced the Chatter Telephone for packaging match...

I don't think think that this is a made up product here. I think that you hit the nail right on the head, as usual. The resemblance of both the Wacky product and the other product is absolutely uncanny! I've already put it in as an addition for the Master Spreadsheet.

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #1711 on: August 16, 2019, 12:35:17 AM »
Painters Mixed Up Nuts and Planters Mixed Nuts...

Decent gag, I always smile at the "mixed up nuts."  Great artwork, especially the grooves in the tin and the hardware.

Offline Swiski

« Reply #1712 on: August 16, 2019, 07:39:11 AM »
I don't think think that this is a made up product here. I think that you hit the nail right on the head, as usual. The resemblance of both the Wacky product and the other product is absolutely uncanny! I've already put it in as an addition for the Master Spreadsheet.

What Fisher Price toy was it a parody of?

Offline BustedFinger

« Reply #1713 on: August 16, 2019, 09:16:13 AM »
What Fisher Price toy was it a parody of?
I think you are partially correct in that the Wacky is not a direct parody of a specific toy, but rather the "toy" (or the "fish") was done to match the parody name "Fishey Prize".

Offline Swiski

« Reply #1714 on: August 18, 2019, 08:10:54 AM »
Lox and Lux soaps...