Author Topic: Gag Criticism, Variation, and Packaging  (Read 640268 times)

Offline MoldRush

Re: Gag Criticism, Variation, and Packaging
« Reply #1645 on: June 11, 2019, 08:05:27 PM »
Reminds me how much more freely terms like DIARRHEA were thrown around in advertising back then.  Nowadays everything is so sanitized that you have to guess what some products are used for.

Offline mikecho

« Reply #1646 on: June 12, 2019, 07:16:34 AM »
Pepto-Dismal and Pepto-Bismol...

Does anyone else here notice how every symptom in the current Pepto-Bismol commercial jingle is mentioned on the bottle shown here except for "heartburn"?

As in "Nau-sea, heart-burn, in-di-ges-tion, up-set sto-mach, dia-r-rhe-a" (repeat ad infinitum and ad nauseum)?
« Last Edit: July 14, 2019, 09:23:25 AM by mikecho »

Offline Swiski

« Reply #1647 on: June 15, 2019, 12:30:59 PM »
Heavy and Hefty, with the late great Jonathan Winters!

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #1648 on: June 15, 2019, 02:21:52 PM »
Heavy and Hefty, with the late great Jonathan Winters!

I forgot about the character being Jonathan Winters!  I like this one, good gag and taglines, the package is right on, great art with the character and trash, but the character's right arm seems unusually long.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2019, 02:23:31 PM by RawGoo »

Offline MoldRush

« Reply #1649 on: June 15, 2019, 05:53:17 PM »
“Laugh while your garbage man struggles”, that’s a good one.

Very much a product of its time - look at all those garbage items which in today’s world have to be separately stockpiled for recycling, depending on where you live of course.

Offline Swiski

« Reply #1650 on: June 21, 2019, 10:24:54 AM »
As the crickets chirp, here is the next one. Bigtumi and Buitoni. Impossible to find a vintage photo of the spaghetti sauce. Just a modern jar and some other Buitoni products with the 1970s logo on it.

Offline sco(o)t

• Looking:Postcard Ser4 BUGWEISER Smokin' Joe sketch
« Reply #1651 on: June 21, 2019, 01:53:52 PM »
As the crickets chirp, here is the next one. Bigtumi and Buitoni. Impossible to find a vintage photo of the spaghetti sauce. Just a modern jar and some other Buitoni products with the 1970s logo on it.

I wonder if this is similar to B&M baked beans, I don't know that B&M was ever was sold in a "regular shaped" jar like that on the Wacky. The Bean pot shape seemed to be their brand through the years. I always thought it was done that way on the Wacky to better allow room for the artwork and gags. The Buitoni brand is not one I was familiar with in my young years, but perhaps it was also done in this style for the same, assumed,  reason as B&M.
aka Scot Leibacher (no trademark)

Offline mikecho

« Reply #1652 on: June 21, 2019, 02:10:49 PM »
Swiski, you just may have created the newest soap opera title for insects: As the Crickets Chirp!
« Last Edit: June 21, 2019, 02:12:39 PM by mikecho »

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #1653 on: June 21, 2019, 02:29:59 PM »

I don't remember Buitoni from back then.  The Wacky is another example of a well done glass jar and character.  I used to think the main gag should have been BigTony, which would have been perfect for my uncle.........

Offline MoldRush

« Reply #1654 on: June 21, 2019, 06:25:02 PM »
The Big Tony idea sounds perfect, but maybe they wanted to avoid the possible perception of recycling “Run Tony” from the 2nd.  I’m probably overthinking it - why would they be concerned about the one kid in a million who might pick up on that.

Offline Brian Mc

« Reply #1655 on: June 24, 2019, 06:25:07 PM »
This is an example of a product that was completely unknown to me, but I thought the Wacky was great anyway.
Brian Mc

Offline Swiski

« Reply #1656 on: June 27, 2019, 08:45:54 PM »
Stove Glop and Stove Top...

Offline MoldRush

« Reply #1657 on: June 28, 2019, 02:38:28 AM »
Just ok on this one, mainly because the package design doesn’t give the artist much to work with.  The words ‘Stove Top’ are too large and dominate the graphics.  I guess scaling them down a bit in the parody could have helped.

Offline sco(o)t

« Reply #1658 on: June 28, 2019, 04:33:07 AM »

This one may not win best Wacky character but deserves a tryth in advertising award. I think the parody and gags on this one are above average.

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #1659 on: June 28, 2019, 04:41:38 AM »

I always liked this one.  Good gag, and I really like the character and fire.

Offline Swiski

« Reply #1660 on: June 28, 2019, 06:24:28 AM »

Anyone know why the lettering on the parody was pink? It supposed to be yellow. I don't think the real box ever had pink lettering clashing with red.
The woman's eyes bug me too. She should be looking downward at the glop creature. Not upwards.

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #1661 on: June 28, 2019, 09:41:58 AM »
Anyone know why the lettering on the parody was pink? It supposed to be yellow. I don't think the real box ever had pink lettering clashing with red.
The woman's eyes bug me too. She should be looking downward at the glop creature. Not upwards.

Maybe she's looking to heaven for help?

Offline MoldRush

« Reply #1662 on: June 28, 2019, 07:09:17 PM »
I doubt the artist would have changed the colors arbitrarily.  Chances are there was a real product with the pink and red, maybe for only a short time.  I remember Stove Top used to offer slightly different stuffing recipes depending on whether chicken, pork or beef was part of the meal, so maybe the packaging colors varied for that?  Just pondering possibilities.

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #1663 on: June 29, 2019, 02:11:33 AM »
I doubt the artist would have changed the colors arbitrarily.  Chances are there was a real product with the pink and red, maybe for only a short time.  I remember Stove Top used to offer slightly different stuffing recipes depending on whether chicken, pork or beef was part of the meal, so maybe the packaging colors varied for that?  Just pondering possibilities.

They still have chicken, turkey, pork, and herb varieties, and the colors vary.

Offline Swiski

« Reply #1664 on: July 03, 2019, 08:42:50 PM »
Sunsweat and Sunsweet Prune Juices compared...

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #1665 on: July 03, 2019, 09:36:37 PM »
Sunsweat and Sunsweet Prune Juices compared...

Pretty good gag, great character, and decent tag lines.  And another very well done glass bottle!  I loved this one as a kid; we often had a bottle of this in the fridge back then, and I still think of it with the Wacky name.

Offline Baked Bears

« Reply #1666 on: July 04, 2019, 07:12:02 AM »
Yes, the bottle is exceptionally well done.  Notice the detail and full spectrum of colors Norm used, as well as all of the reflection and refraction going on.  Even the dozens of bubbles are multicolored.  I can still distinctly recall sitting in school, studying this particular title, and admiring the artwork.  Norm didn't have to go into such detail, and yet he did, marvelous evidence of a master artist at work.

Offline MoldRush

« Reply #1667 on: July 04, 2019, 07:58:12 AM »
Some of the Saunders glass jar renderings are truly striking in terms of not only the use of subtle coloring to convey the translucence of the glass, but also to create an external illumination effect, meaning, in this case, that the bottle has the feel of what it might look like inside a refrigerator late at night.  Illuminated on all sides, but otherwise surrounded by darkness.  At least that’s the feeling I get when I look at it.  Wish we could ask Norm what kind of vibe he was shooting for....

And the character is truly creepy.  If the goal was to create a look of a human prune, mission accomplished.  Reminds me of Uncle Creepy from the Warren horror comics.

Offline koduck

• Administrator
  • Make it snappy!
« Reply #1668 on: July 07, 2019, 06:43:29 AM »

And the character is truly creepy.  If the goal was to create a look of a human prune, mission accomplished.  Reminds me of Uncle Creepy from the Warren horror comics.

This is why I don't drink prune juice to this day. Call me irregular...

Offline Swiski

« Reply #1669 on: July 09, 2019, 08:27:08 PM »
Diet Frite and Diet Rite...

Offline Swiski

« Reply #1670 on: July 13, 2019, 05:08:54 AM »
Tic Toc and Tic Tac...

Offline MoldRush

« Reply #1671 on: July 13, 2019, 05:59:39 AM »

Don’t want to see any title go by the boards with no comments whatsoever, so....

For some reason though I remember the product name well, the graphics on this one just don’t look familiar at all, not sure why.  I guess little kids see “diet”, think “no sugar”, and tune it out lol.

Nice enough rendering, though a monster character probably would have made this pop much better than just a frightened guy.

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #1672 on: July 13, 2019, 06:13:16 AM »

Great gag, good taglines, managed to add a funny character to an otherwise boring package, and yet another fantastic can top.  My mother drank this a lot, and I sometimes stuck extra stickers on the bottles.

Offline MoldRush

« Reply #1673 on: July 13, 2019, 06:17:13 PM »
For some reason though I remember the product name well, the graphics on this one just don’t look familiar at all, not sure why.  I guess little kids see “diet”, think “no sugar”, and tune it out lol.
This is the version I remember much better:

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #1674 on: July 14, 2019, 05:46:04 AM »
Tic Toc and Tic Tac...

Fantastic gag, and the "tiny little time bombs" tagline fits in SO well!  And, I love the highlighting on the bombs and packaging.  Wouldn't think of changing a thing.

Offline sco(o)t

« Reply #1675 on: July 14, 2019, 06:20:25 AM »
Tic Toc and Tic Tac...

Simple but terrific.

Offline mikecho

« Reply #1676 on: July 14, 2019, 09:20:56 AM »
This is the version I remember much better:

I remember that logo too, but the other one - not at all. Must've been the previous one.

Offline Gurgle

• recommends zircon-encrusted tweezers
« Reply #1677 on: July 15, 2019, 06:09:33 PM »
So now I see why it says "Sudden Fear." It's a weird take on "Sugar Free."

Offline Swiski

« Reply #1678 on: July 19, 2019, 04:46:33 AM »
As we await news regarding upcoming Wacky products or our Galactic Groceries sketches, here is the next series 10 comparison.

Underworld Deviled Ham and Underwood Be-Deviled Ham. The real product pretty much wrote it's own parody!

Offline Zenergizer

« Reply #1679 on: July 19, 2019, 10:57:27 AM »
simple, but pure genius!  I love the character and how the pitchfork is now jabbing him!

anything