Author Topic: Gag Criticism, Variation, and Packaging  (Read 638071 times)

Offline bandaches

• http://www.wackypackage.com/
    • Visit my Wacky Pack Website
Re: Gag Criticism and Variation
« Reply #70 on: September 18, 2016, 05:59:14 PM »
I've always thought Camals was a great sight gag with the upside down camel. And also spot on in taking on cigarettes. The rest of the text didn't matter much to me, including the meaningless title, because it was both powerful (cigarettes will kill you) and funny (camel balancing on its hump.)

But, yeah, Awful Bits and especially Cap'n Crud ruled. Cap'n Crunch was one of my fave cereals at the time and the sticker has such a great character. "Inside: Real Pirate!" struck me as funny.

But maybe we're getting ahead of ourselves...
I agree with you that Camals from a lasting image and knock on cigarettes is effective!  Looks like we all can't wait to get deeper into series 1 and 2 :-)
Contact me at bandaches@yahoo.com as I have tons of wackys for sale!  Visit my website http://www.wackypackage.com/

Offline bandaches

« Reply #71 on: September 18, 2016, 06:00:10 PM »
Although I was older when I started collecting, I had some of that in me, too. Only years later did I realize there were some stickers where I didn't even read the whole thing! And I always loved a good gag!
Many of us never realized until recently that Skimpy said beanut putter.
Contact me at bandaches@yahoo.com as I have tons of wackys for sale!  Visit my website http://www.wackypackage.com/

Offline NationalSpittoon

« Reply #72 on: September 19, 2016, 02:35:53 AM »
I agree with you that Camals from a lasting image and knock on cigarettes is effective!  Looks like we all can't wait to get deeper into series 1 and 2 :-)

This was a question I've been meaning to ask.. Should Wacky Ads and Series 2 both be done, and also Series 1?

Offline NationalSpittoon

« Reply #73 on: September 19, 2016, 02:39:45 AM »
Diecuts #10 - Dopey Whip

Dopey Whip
Dessert Topping
Use for all purposes

Real Product
Lucky Whip
Dessert Topping

What really bothers me here is that they never changed dessert topping, they could've made it "Desert Topping". I mean, it is Dopey Whip, right?

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #74 on: September 19, 2016, 05:07:47 AM »
This was a question I've been meaning to ask.. Should Wacky Ads and Series 2 both be done, and also Series 1?

Sorry if I sidetracked things by mentioning later titles.   :-[

Series 1 will be covered by the die cuts.  The Wacky Ads/Series 2 question is tougher, but the Ads include some titles that weren't used later, as well as extra gags, so it seems to make sense to go through those since this thread is basically about the gags.  Maybe with Series 2 just go through the titles that were brand new, and Gurgle Baby Food, since that changed?

Offline sco(o)t

• Looking:Postcard Ser4 BUGWEISER Smokin' Joe sketch
« Reply #75 on: September 19, 2016, 09:00:54 AM »
Diecuts #10 - Dopey Whip

Dopey Whip
Dessert Topping
Use for all purposes

Real Product
Lucky Whip
Dessert Topping

What really bothers me here is that they never changed dessert topping, they could've made it "Desert Topping". I mean, it is Dopey Whip, right?

Since its Dopey Whip, why not: "Duh"-sert topping?   Or since there is a practical joke being perpetrated on the front, how about "Just Desserts Topping"?

I always really liked the artwork and can/foam rendering on this one. Extra points for strong visual appeal  but minus a few parody points.  Lucky to Dopey is a bit of a stretch.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2016, 09:05:15 AM by sco(o)t »
aka Scot Leibacher (no trademark)

Offline slamjim

• OLDS11 in late 2023!
« Reply #76 on: September 19, 2016, 10:23:07 AM »

Since its Dopey Whip, why not: "Duh"-sert topping?   Or since there is a practical joke being perpetrated on the front, how about "Just Desserts Topping"?

I always really liked the artwork and can/foam rendering on this one. Extra points for strong visual appeal  but minus a few parody points.  Lucky to Dopey is a bit of a stretch.

Yeah, Lucky to Dopey always bothered me as well. Could have just gone with Unlucky Whip. The foaming can at the top can stay the same as the can exploding in your face is the gag. Keep both figures and just change the guy foaming the face of the other guy and laughing into the guy pointing and laughing as the guy has the can exploding into his face as he opens it. Maybe change Dessert Topping to Defective Topping

Offline Gurgle

• recommends zircon-encrusted tweezers
« Reply #77 on: September 19, 2016, 12:47:17 PM »
"Just Desserts Topping." I like that!

Offline Gurgle

« Reply #78 on: September 19, 2016, 12:52:07 PM »
A little off topic: One thing I appreciate about the original series is the artistic license taken to fill out the sticker. You can see how much longer and thinner the actual can is, but the sticker works because the ratio was altered so the art would fill out the canvas. It makes such a difference.

In my mind, too many of the ANS images were made exactly to scale and got lost with too much white space on the card. Not to mention practically needing a magnifying glass to read the smaller type.

Offline Gurgle

« Reply #79 on: September 19, 2016, 12:54:28 PM »
I don't think the ads sold very well so they rebooted and used the same titles on stickers. As for me, I'm happy they did.

Offline Bigmuc13

« Reply #80 on: September 19, 2016, 05:01:37 PM »
Diecuts #6 - Slum Maid

Slum Maid
Seedy
Raisins

Real Product
Sun Maid
Seedless
Raisins

How about Slum Maid....Sleezy Maidens!

They could've at least come up with something better than "seedy".. A lot of boxes and items never had pictures and they added them, so why not add another gag to this one.. Like "These will get you there."
Still looking for Series 17

Offline Bigmuc13

« Reply #81 on: September 19, 2016, 05:05:56 PM »
Changing gargle to gurgle is of no value and hurts the gag, if mouthwash could be used, then leave Gargle in there.  I think it should "doctors recommend" as Dentists don't deal with Virus's.

How about:

you'll slur your words with...

Lavirus -- Mouthwash and Garble

It'll make you speechless!

Offline Bigmuc13

« Reply #82 on: September 19, 2016, 05:08:19 PM »
True, but I understand sticking with "dentists" because that was part of the Lavoris slogan and dentists would recommend a mouthwash over a doctor. In my mind, it can give you a virus as cause lots of damage to your mouth.

These were aimed at kids, and as a kid, I LOVED this title.
To me, this one was a roaring success.

I just always loved this one because the artwork was one of the best ever.  Loved the creatures in the bottle.  Similar to My Sink.  The stuff in the bottle make it an awesome Wacky!

Offline Swiski

« Reply #83 on: September 19, 2016, 06:42:19 PM »
I agree. I think that's a great gag

I assume the slum maid is wearing top made from a flour sack.

She should have been serving something more appropriate, such as instant ramen, white bread, and soda pop.   And cigarettes.

(Image removed from quote.)

I disagree. Fish bones and tin cans is an excellent visual for someone living in a 1960s cartoon world slum, digging out of garbage cans. Ramen noodles are kind of a "modern age" thing.

Offline Swiski

« Reply #84 on: September 19, 2016, 06:50:38 PM »
That is definitely a better gag, nice! I seem to recall Jay explaining the Camal reference as having something to do with a politician in Egypt in the late 60's.
Yep - I think I remember reading that the spoof was inspired by an Egyptian politician named Gamals.

Offline Gurgle

« Reply #85 on: September 19, 2016, 07:01:36 PM »
"Seedy" is absolutely perfect!

Diecuts #6 - Slum Maid

Slum Maid
Seedy
Raisins

Real Product
Sun Maid
Seedless
Raisins

They could've at least come up with something better than "seedy".. A lot of boxes and items never had pictures and they added them, so why not add another gag to this one.. Like "These will get you there."

Offline Gurgle

« Reply #86 on: September 19, 2016, 07:03:36 PM »
How dare you?! I am offended, sir!

Changing gargle to gurgle is of no value and hurts the gag

Offline sco(o)t

« Reply #87 on: September 19, 2016, 07:25:25 PM »
How dare you?! I am offended, sir!

Agreed. Gurgle is definitely a funnier word than Gargle. And implies less free will. Of course, as we are being reminded in this thread, humor is VERY subjective.

Offline DrSushi

« Reply #88 on: September 19, 2016, 07:28:26 PM »
Yep - I think I remember reading that the spoof was inspired by an Egyptian politician named Gamals.

That's it! According to Wikipedia Gamal Abdel Nasser was the second president of Egypt, serving from 1956 until his death in 1970.

I wondered why my search for Camal and Egypt was fruitless. Thanks!!

Still a lousy gag.

Offline bandaches

« Reply #89 on: September 19, 2016, 07:29:55 PM »
Series 1 will be covered by the diecut set.  Lets do series 2 through the wacky ads so we can knock off some of the non repeats in the wacky ad set.  The fun part of this thread, no rules, we will bounce around a bit as it happens naturally.

Offline bandaches

« Reply #90 on: September 19, 2016, 07:35:45 PM »
Yeah, Lucky to Dopey always bothered me as well. Could have just gone with Unlucky Whip. The foaming can at the top can stay the same as the can exploding in your face is the gag. Keep both figures and just change the guy foaming the face of the other guy and laughing into the guy pointing and laughing as the guy has the can exploding into his face as he opens it. Maybe change Dessert Topping to Defective Topping
I love it!  Maybe even Mucky whip.  I did love saying "dopey whip" but this gag is really weak.

Offline bandaches

« Reply #91 on: September 19, 2016, 07:36:38 PM »
A little off topic: One thing I appreciate about the original series is the artistic license taken to fill out the sticker. You can see how much longer and thinner the actual can is, but the sticker works because the ratio was altered so the art would fill out the canvas. It makes such a difference.

In my mind, too many of the ANS images were made exactly to scale and got lost with too much white space on the card. Not to mention practically needing a magnifying glass to read the smaller type.
Toadally agree! Wider art, less congestion of the words!

Offline NationalSpittoon

« Reply #92 on: September 20, 2016, 02:36:59 AM »
Diecuts #11 - Cracked Jerk

Cracked Jerk
Surprise nothing inside!

Real product
Cracker Jack
Toy Surprise Inside
Candied Popcorn and nuts

They really went minimalist with this one.. Why not Nopcorn and Puts?  :-[

Offline NationalSpittoon

« Reply #93 on: September 20, 2016, 12:01:29 PM »
Looks like Cracked Jerk is a bum card around here..

Offline Jean Nutty

« Reply #94 on: September 20, 2016, 12:08:55 PM »
I disagree. Fish bones and tin cans is an excellent visual for someone living in a 1960s cartoon world slum, digging out of garbage cans. Ramen noodles are kind of a "modern age" thing.

I guess I'm not quite old enough to remember people digging stuff out of garbage cans.

On the other hand, back in 1995 I went through a tough period, using drugs, and me and a buddy
dug food out of a dumpster at a large grocery outlet. Food that was slightly out of date and
produce that was a bit on the old side. We had a feast. And then we smoked some more crack.

Seriously. We were a couple of cracked jerks.

Offline Jean Nutty

« Reply #95 on: September 20, 2016, 12:28:12 PM »
I like the character's expression of horror.   Is there a reason the dog is biting the leg that feeds him?

(Thanks to Jason and Greg for their fine images)

Offline sco(o)t

« Reply #96 on: September 20, 2016, 01:48:39 PM »
I like the character's expression of horror.   Is there a reason the dog is biting the leg that feeds him?

Perhaps, the dog is the title Jerk. I always liked this one. Nice and simple. Gag economy. I consumed a lot of Cracker Jack as a kid and always had a special place for the Wacky parodies of the products I used. 
« Last Edit: September 20, 2016, 01:52:06 PM by sco(o)t »

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #97 on: September 20, 2016, 04:42:00 PM »
Perhaps, the dog is the title Jerk. I always liked this one. Nice and simple. Gag economy. I consumed a lot of Cracker Jack as a kid and always had a special place for the Wacky parodies of the products I used.

Seems like "Boring" could have gone where "Borden" was.

Offline DrSushi

« Reply #98 on: September 20, 2016, 06:21:58 PM »

How about a tag line like - broken snack pieces

Or - it'll break your teeth

Or - snack for jerks who dress like sailors

I'm guessing they would frown on substituting "seamen" for "sailors"

Offline sco(o)t

« Reply #99 on: September 20, 2016, 06:30:45 PM »

I like that. Or even "Boredom" or "Burden" to mimic the actual. Ya know... it may be cool to see some of these "re-imaginings" of original series titles done up for the 50th anniversary. Who do we know that is artistic?  :]
« Last Edit: September 20, 2016, 06:36:08 PM by sco(o)t »

Offline Bigmuc13

« Reply #100 on: September 20, 2016, 07:01:52 PM »
That's it! According to Wikipedia Gamal Abdel Nasser was the second president of Egypt, serving from 1956 until his death in 1970.

I wondered why my search for Camal and Egypt was fruitless. Thanks!!

Still a lousy gag.

I read somewhere that yes, the gag is based on Gamals, but it was also lifted from a MAD magazine joke as well

Offline DrSushi

« Reply #101 on: September 20, 2016, 07:16:59 PM »
I read somewhere that yes, the gag is based on Gamals, but it was also lifted from a MAD magazine joke as well

Interesting, thanks!

Offline NationalSpittoon

« Reply #102 on: September 21, 2016, 02:32:20 AM »
Diecuts #12 - Crust

Crust
Garlic Flavor
Tooth Paste
Tastes Lousy
Brush teeth twice a month

Real Product
Crest
Fluoristan
Toothpaste
Large Size

The gags here are stretching from the original product, but they are good.

Offline sco(o)t

« Reply #103 on: September 21, 2016, 06:38:40 AM »
Diecuts #12 - Crust

Crust
Garlic Flavor
Tooth Paste
Tastes Lousy
Brush teeth twice a month

Real Product
Crest
Fluoristan
Toothpaste
Large Size

The gags here are stretching from the original product, but they are good.

Another simple, straight forward title. Seems like something could be done with "flouristan" like "taste you can't stand". Another product we used at our house so a favorite.

Offline Gurgle

« Reply #104 on: September 21, 2016, 09:11:55 AM »
Good example of simple and effective. I was SO familiar with the packaging of this product and that always helped. It seemed radical to see the iconic character on Cracker Jack being bitten by his dog. It was so subversive and delightful. Of course, I was young and that was a long time ago when things were simpler.

"Surprise! Nothing Inside!" always worked for me, too.