Author Topic: Gag Criticism, Variation, and Packaging  (Read 640743 times)

Offline Swiski

Re: Gag Criticism, Variation, and Packaging
« Reply #2625 on: March 14, 2021, 06:46:07 AM »
Sufferin compared to Savarin...

« Last Edit: March 14, 2021, 06:51:10 AM by Swiski »

Offline MoldRush

« Reply #2626 on: March 14, 2021, 11:18:11 AM »

Love this one for reasons similar to Jungle Potion - the great can detailing and shading, the indented ribs unique to coffee cans, all beautifully rendered.  ‘Same Old Grind’ is a clever line as well.

I should add that we’re all old enough to appreciate the connotation of the throwback, over-the-top, battle-axe disciplinarian this parody is themed after.  No school-age kid today would understand this I would bet.

Only four more to go after this one . . .  :sad:
« Last Edit: March 14, 2021, 11:21:50 AM by MoldRush »

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #2627 on: March 14, 2021, 12:00:33 PM »

An absolutely awesome Wacky!  Great gag and matching taglines, with a strict, intimidating teacher (who resembled a nun who taught in my school at the time).  The can is just fantastic, with the ribbing, shading and glimmering reflected light, and especially the way the dead on replicated lettering curves right along with the can and ribs.  Plus, another fantastic metal can lid.  I pulled this in the reissues, and was fortunate enough to have one for sticking on a notebook.

Offline mikecho

« Reply #2628 on: March 14, 2021, 12:18:13 PM »

Swiski, you forgot to put in Sapirin from the 11th series for comparison to this one.

Offline MoldRush

« Reply #2629 on: March 14, 2021, 01:08:05 PM »
Swiski, you forgot to put in Sapirin from the 11th series for comparison to this one.
It was recently pointed out that Wackys were not developed one series at a time, and that many finished pieces could pre-date the series they appeared in by a few months or more.  I could be wrong, but I get the sense that the 16th Sufferin design is actually older can graphics than the labeled glass jar used for the 11th Saparin.

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #2630 on: March 14, 2021, 01:25:04 PM »

Probably because Saparin was a glass jar.

Offline Gurgle

• recommends zircon-encrusted tweezers
« Reply #2631 on: March 14, 2021, 04:15:32 PM »
This is a nice-lookin' Wacky.

Was Savarin a popular brand? I wasn't familiar with it as a kid, and there are two parodies of it.

Offline MoldRush

« Reply #2632 on: March 14, 2021, 05:28:52 PM »
This is a nice-lookin' Wacky.

Was Savarin a popular brand? I wasn't familiar with it as a kid, and there are two parodies of it.
As long as I’ve been a coffee drinker, since maybe late teens, I’ve pretty much seen it around.  Not sure it was considered a top brand, maybe on par with Maxwell House or Folgers.

For my part, I don’t remember ever seeing Chase & Sanborn or Max-Pax, two other brands also parodied.

Offline Swiski

« Reply #2633 on: March 16, 2021, 07:03:52 AM »
Love this one for reasons similar to Jungle Potion - the great can detailing and shading, the indented ribs unique to coffee cans, all beautifully rendered.  ‘Same Old Grind’ is a clever line as well.

I should add that we’re all old enough to appreciate the connotation of the throwback, over-the-top, battle-axe disciplinarian this parody is themed after.  No school-age kid today would understand this I would bet.

Only four more to go after this one . . .  :sad:

I know! It's been a fun trip down memory lane. When Wackies came back in the 1980s, they were fantastic, but not quite the same. Most of us probably have the fondest memories with the vintage series, when we were kids who didn't understand some of the jokes at the time. But we loved the artwork and wanted to collect them all with our allowance or paper route money, spending a nickel a pack.

Offline lucidjc

« Reply #2634 on: March 16, 2021, 12:25:12 PM »
ATTN:    WHY have all the earlier pictures gone away? This thread isn't that old. Any way to get them back?

Jim

Offline Swiski

« Reply #2635 on: March 17, 2021, 07:53:33 AM »
Smartz 2 Tight 1 compared to Hartz 2 in 1 collar for dogs...

Offline MoldRush

« Reply #2636 on: March 17, 2021, 08:30:40 PM »

Nice all-around Wacky, funny pooch character, some good gags.  While some have commented that the OS run was scraping the bottom of the barrel by this time in terms of having to choose more obscure products to spoof, or having to branch into new types of products, as far as the finished output is concerned, in my book OS Wackys ended still at the top of their game.  This run-through of the final series really has me wondering what might have been had Topps soldiered on, starting with a quicker and more widely marketed release of 16 to keep up the momentum.

Offline Swiski

« Reply #2637 on: March 18, 2021, 07:05:32 AM »
This parody might be controversial today with all the animal cruelty out there. Every time I see that TV commercial showing neglected dogs and cats, I have to turn it off or go hug my cat.

Offline lucidjc

« Reply #2638 on: March 18, 2021, 08:35:19 AM »
Just because we don't see it, does not mean it's not happening.

Please Give To Your Local Shelter.

Jim

Offline Zenergizer

« Reply #2639 on: March 18, 2021, 10:05:04 AM »
this has always been a favorite of mine, I just love the poor dog's expression!

Offline Gurgle

« Reply #2640 on: March 18, 2021, 01:35:37 PM »
The art, the title, the gags, even how the product works, it all ties together nicely.

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #2641 on: March 18, 2021, 01:47:50 PM »
The art, the title, the gags, even how the product works, it all ties together nicely.

Agreed!

Offline Swiski

« Reply #2642 on: March 20, 2021, 05:26:07 AM »
Cracked by Killette compared to Cricket by Gillette...

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #2643 on: March 20, 2021, 05:51:08 AM »
Cracked by Killette compared to Cricket by Gillette...

Another 16th series gem that I missed as a kid.  Too bad, since I would definitely have recognized the product!

Great nutty cricket, funny gag ang taglines.  The painted lighter top looks better than the real thing!

Offline Swiski

« Reply #2644 on: March 20, 2021, 05:57:54 AM »
Yeah, this one is top notch! When I see that cricket mascot on the package, I think of him singing on the 70s TV commercial...

https://youtu.be/wV_ysB9lH4Q

How do I embed the video link where people can just watch it within my message and not click on the link?
« Last Edit: March 20, 2021, 06:03:23 AM by Swiski »

Offline bigtomi

« Reply #2645 on: March 20, 2021, 08:42:47 AM »
How do I embed the video link where people can just watch it within my message and not click on the link?
Press the YouTube button and place the "v=" value right where the cursor is, like this: [reply with quote to see the code]

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wV_ysB9lH4Q" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wV_ysB9lH4Q</a>

Offline Swiski

« Reply #2646 on: March 20, 2021, 10:59:18 AM »
Press the YouTube button and place the "v=" value right where the cursor is, like this: [reply with quote to see the code]

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wV_ysB9lH4Q" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wV_ysB9lH4Q</a>

Thanks!

Offline MoldRush

« Reply #2647 on: March 20, 2021, 11:04:17 AM »
There must have been several versions of the commercial and jingle, because the one that’s been playing in my head for 40+ years starts out “cricket lighter . . . For a dollar forty-nine....”

Offline Swiski

« Reply #2648 on: March 22, 2021, 11:45:41 AM »
Fool Guard and Foot Guard...

Offline Gurgle

« Reply #2649 on: March 22, 2021, 02:02:00 PM »
Yeah, I missed this series as a kid, too. It was nice to discover it as an adult and Cricket is one of the standouts for me.

Another 16th series gem that I missed as a kid.  Too bad, since I would definitely have recognized the product!

Great nutty cricket, funny gag ang taglines.  The painted lighter top looks better than the real thing!

Offline mikecho

« Reply #2650 on: March 22, 2021, 02:23:35 PM »
There must have been several versions of the commercial and jingle, because the one that’s been playing in my head for 40+ years starts out “cricket lighter . . . For a dollar forty-nine....”
I remember the line going "Catch a Cricket (clicking noise) for a dollar forty-ni-i-i-ne by Gillette." I also remember the ad shown here, with the matches pouring out of the lighter at the end.

Offline MoldRush

« Reply #2651 on: March 22, 2021, 05:27:33 PM »
I remember the line going "Catch a Cricket (clicking noise) for a dollar forty-ni-i-i-ne by Gillette." I also remember the ad shown here, with the matches pouring out of the lighter at the end.
After viewing the commercial in the link, YouTube showed a handful of other Cricket commercial ads which all used the same theme song but with some variations in the wording.  I guess the ones we’re remembering are mixed in there somewhere.  They must have used that ad campaign for quite some time for it to have stayed in my head like it has.  I’ve purchased some vintage NHL games on DVD (transfers from old VHS recordings), and there are some mind-blowing commercials in those old broadcasts that you would otherwise never think of again, but the moment the ad comes on it’s like a time warp to the early 80’s.  Toyota, Eastern Airlines, Polaroid, tons of great stuff. 

Offline Swiski

« Reply #2652 on: March 24, 2021, 05:22:56 AM »
Well folks! The original vintage run of comparisons is complete after this final entry below!

Moving forward, if someone wants to tackle posting comparisons in order from the 1979 reprint series (new titles only) through the modern day monthly series, that would be great, and I can assist along the way if needed.

Another option is to continue this thread as an "open mic" where anyone can post whatever random parody comparison they want from past to present. It could include Lost Wackys, unpublished Wackys, comparisons to non-Wacky parodies, etc.

So without further ado (adieu?) here is Gillo Aquarium Port compared to Gallo American Port...

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #2653 on: March 24, 2021, 06:56:24 AM »
Well folks! The original vintage run of comparisons is complete after this final entry below!

Moving forward, if someone wants to tackle posting comparisons in order from the 1979 reprint series (new titles only) through the modern day monthly series, that would be great, and I can assist along the way if needed.

Another option is to continue this thread as an "open mic" where anyone can post whatever random parody comparison they want from past to present. It could include Lost Wackys, unpublished Wackys, comparisons to non-Wacky parodies, etc.

So without further ado (adieu?) here is Gillo Aquarium Port compared to Gallo American Port...

Wow, all done.

I should love a well done glass bottle with a shark in it, yet this isn't one of my favorites.  Maybe because I still don't know the product?  Maybe because I think Gillo is just not a great gag?  Not sure.  The actual product was certainly uninspiring.  Would a full bottle have looked amber?

I wonder if they could have done better with Gallows?  Or Gallons?

Offline MoldRush

« Reply #2654 on: March 24, 2021, 07:30:12 PM »
I would be remiss if I didn’t address the final two Wackys.

Fool Guard - for the longest time I couldn’t peg the real product, never knew of a ‘Foot Guard’,  I guess Desenex was the leading product of its type.  That said, decent Wacky - nothing special, just ok.

Gillo Port - another unfamiliar product, but very impressive rendering.  And what’s not to like about a shark in a jug?  Wonder if the shark was inspired by a lingering JAWS mania.

Bravo to Swiski for his diligence and dedication to get through some 500 Wackys, give or take.  Probably wishful thinking, but it would be awesome if each Wacky image paired with its best matching real product image could be preserved somehow for reference.  The matching was an improvement on that shown in Rusty’s Lost Wackys site.

Offline Gurgle

« Reply #2655 on: March 24, 2021, 10:48:41 PM »
Nice job!
I really like Gillo, but never paid attention because I always assumed it was whiskey or something because of the color.

Offline Swiski

« Reply #2656 on: March 25, 2021, 07:24:50 AM »
I would be remiss if I didn’t address the final two Wackys.

Fool Guard - for the longest time I couldn’t peg the real product, never knew of a ‘Foot Guard’,  I guess Desenex was the leading product of its type.  That said, decent Wacky - nothing special, just ok.

Gillo Port - another unfamiliar product, but very impressive rendering.  And what’s not to like about a shark in a jug?  Wonder if the shark was inspired by a lingering JAWS mania.

Bravo to Swiski for his diligence and dedication to get through some 500 Wackys, give or take.  Probably wishful thinking, but it would be awesome if each Wacky image paired with its best matching real product image could be preserved somehow for reference.  The matching was an improvement on that shown in Rusty’s Lost Wackys site.

Thanks for the kind words! I have all the images organized and safely preserved on my hard drive. I only wish it was complete with all accurate comparisons.

I should thank National Spittoon for starting this thread. I just continued posting comparisons on it.

Like I mentioned earlier, I'd hate for this thread to fade away, so it's open for anyone to post parodies from past to present, in no particular order.

Offline Swiski

« Reply #2657 on: March 25, 2021, 07:41:13 AM »
Nice job!
I really like Gillo, but never paid attention because I always assumed it was whiskey or something because of the color.

I also thought it was a whiskey or similar alcohol. Never knew it was a wine until I found the real product. I color retouched it in Photoshop to look more like a port wine. Before and after images...

« Last Edit: March 25, 2021, 07:52:13 AM by Swiski »

Offline BustedFinger

• Just a simple collector. No books, no websites, no arguments!
  • I wonder where this text will appear?
« Reply #2658 on: March 25, 2021, 09:18:19 AM »
I also thought it was a whiskey or similar alcohol. Never knew it was a wine until I found the real product.
Well it does say "Wine for people who drink like a fish"
Giving "The Hobby" the finger since 1999!

Offline Swiski

« Reply #2659 on: March 25, 2021, 09:23:29 AM »
Well it does say "Wine for people who drink like a fish"

I guess it pays to read the parody then, but the brown liquid appears more like a whiskey than a wine. Strange decision by the artist at the time.

anything