Author Topic: Gag Criticism, Variation, and Packaging  (Read 648384 times)

Offline Zenergizer

Re: Gag Criticism, Variation, and Packaging
« Reply #2450 on: December 21, 2020, 06:00:39 PM »
true, I had never heard of this product before, just like many in the later Original Series.

Offline MoldRush

« Reply #2451 on: December 21, 2020, 06:48:15 PM »
Only through these posts do i truly realize how many times i did not know what the original product was...
Agreed, it’s an educational thread in such cases.  I probably first gained greater familiarity with the more obscure real products via the lostwackys.com site, but the one-by-one analysis of titles on this thread will probably help me to remember more of them.

Offline DrSushi

« Reply #2452 on: December 21, 2020, 07:24:57 PM »
Ultra Sheep and Ultra Sheen...

Love the hairstyle of the sheep echoing the logo of the original product (which is apparently JP from the manufacturer Johnson Products). That's a nice nuance that was completely lost on me. Makes me feel a bit sheepish.

Offline Swiski

« Reply #2453 on: December 22, 2020, 06:36:35 AM »
I love this one! Wall Eyed Electric Slave compared to Williams Lectric Shave. The word "Willing" would have been a little better than "Wall Eyed"

« Last Edit: December 22, 2020, 06:39:13 AM by Swiski »

Offline MoldRush

« Reply #2454 on: December 23, 2020, 12:43:49 PM »
Though the choice of parody title must have been obvious enough, the gag writers had to really stretch their creative minds to come up with a character or visual to sell the gag in this case.  A robotic barber, with scissor and razor arm attachments?  That’s a bit out there compared to most of its Wacky peers.  Not that I have any better or simpler ideas.  Could never really make up my mind on this one.  No strong feelings positive or negative, just a very different kind of vibe.

Offline Gurgle

• recommends zircon-encrusted tweezers
« Reply #2455 on: December 23, 2020, 12:59:43 PM »
Love this one. Clever gag, and there's something about having things living inside liquid that makes for a great visual.

I love this one! Wall Eyed Electric Slave compared to Williams Lectric Shave. The word "Willing" would have been a little better than "Wall Eyed"

Offline MoldRush

« Reply #2456 on: December 23, 2020, 02:21:08 PM »
Yes, good point.  Brings My Sink, Lavirus and even Gillo Port to mind, each of which are equally off-the-wall in their own right.

Offline Swiski

« Reply #2457 on: December 28, 2020, 06:56:47 AM »
Bum and Mabel compared to Rum and Maple...

Offline MoldRush

« Reply #2458 on: December 30, 2020, 07:14:47 AM »
Bum and Mabel compared to Rum and Maple...

Yet another completely unfamiliar product of the era, though that’s to be expected for tobacco products other than the most prominent cigarette brands.

Good parody concept, like the way the small oval-shaped embellishment (product on right) was used to add the wino characters.  The overall look of the product is eye-pleasing too, with the faux wood paneling.  Looks like it was difficult finding an exact match circa 1975, as the metal canister looks older and the other image more recent.

Offline Swiski

« Reply #2459 on: January 01, 2021, 11:43:09 AM »
Slayskool and Playskool. Looks like the Alphabet Blocks set is the real product parodied here.

Offline freetoes

« Reply #2460 on: January 01, 2021, 12:09:03 PM »
This was another favorite I discovered long after the original run. The kid really has the demented child prodigy look down.

Offline MoldRush

« Reply #2461 on: January 02, 2021, 11:53:43 AM »
Slayskool and Playskool. Looks like the Alphabet Blocks set is the real product parodied here.

IMO one of the very best 15th titles, but alas, like Freetoes mentioned, yet another that I missed in the original run as well.  I’m partial to 13th’s Playskull due to the nostalgia factor that I lack with Slayskool, but really they’re both fantastic.  It also blew my mind to discover in recent years that both parodies have very specific real-product matches.  These almost feel like consolation prizes for OS never having spoofed Aurora model kits, especially Playskull, for obvious reasons.  Of course the OLDS Aurora parodies have since rectified that omission.

Offline vahsurfer

« Reply #2462 on: January 02, 2021, 12:23:47 PM »
My NC:

Richard
#StayWacky

Offline Swiski

« Reply #2463 on: January 04, 2021, 12:00:36 PM »
Moron Beef Pot Pie compared to Morton Beef Pot Pie...

Offline MoldRush

« Reply #2464 on: January 04, 2021, 04:38:37 PM »
I wish I had seen this in the OS run, as it is so delightfully silly I’m sure I would have adored it even more than I do after only seeing for the first time in the 1980 Reissues as a young teen.

Love the way the beef stew perfectly covers the boy’s hair, in the same way a cheap wig would.  In this respect it looks like a young kid drew the art, which I guess is part of its charm.  And you can’t go wrong anytime you can include a propeller beanie.  It’s got a very juvenile vibe to it IMO.  Real product match is very cool too, I really like the wood-grain background.

Online RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #2465 on: January 04, 2021, 11:28:47 PM »
I wish I had seen this in the OS run, as it is so delightfully silly I’m sure I would have adored it even more than I do after only seeing for the first time in the 1980 Reissues as a young teen.

Love the way the beef stew perfectly covers the boy’s hair, in the same way a cheap wig would.  In this respect it looks like a young kid drew the art, which I guess is part of its charm.  And you can’t go wrong anytime you can include a propeller beanie.  It’s got a very juvenile vibe to it IMO.  Real product match is very cool too, I really like the wood-grain background.

I've always liked Moron Beef Pot Pie.  It's so playful!  And, as you said, silly.  Good gag, and matches the packaging.  Even better, we used to eat Morton pies sometimes on nights when we had a babysitter, if we were out of our favorites, the Libbyland Dinners.

Now I want Wackys of the Libbyland dinners!!  Off to the Old School ideas thread!!!

Offline Gurgle

« Reply #2466 on: January 05, 2021, 07:45:21 AM »
This is so educational.

Yet another completely unfamiliar product of the era, though that’s to be expected for tobacco products other than the most prominent cigarette brands.

Good parody concept, like the way the small oval-shaped embellishment (product on right) was used to add the wino characters.  The overall look of the product is eye-pleasing too, with the faux wood paneling.  Looks like it was difficult finding an exact match circa 1975, as the metal canister looks older and the other image more recent.

Offline Gurgle

« Reply #2467 on: January 05, 2021, 07:47:35 AM »
Atom Bombs = Alphabet Blocks.
Never knew that.

Offline Swiski

« Reply #2468 on: January 05, 2021, 08:03:11 AM »
Atom Bombs = Alphabet Blocks.
Never knew that.

I'm pretty sure this was the actual toy used for the parody, unless the boy with red shirt and overalls was used on other toy packaging. I thought there was maybe a stacking toy in bright colors that better matched the atomic bombs, but I couldn't find anything that was a match.

Offline bandaches

• http://www.wackypackage.com/
    • Visit my Wacky Pack Website
« Reply #2469 on: January 05, 2021, 10:28:46 AM »
As I've mentioned in a couple of other posts lately, try http://lostwackys.com/lostwackys.htm for the main page. For whatever reason, the index.html file was changed to just have the "123"...
what happened to this site?  All gone again?
Contact me at bandaches@yahoo.com as I have tons of wackys for sale!  Visit my website http://www.wackypackage.com/

Offline MoldRush

« Reply #2470 on: January 05, 2021, 10:34:59 AM »
I had problems getting to it as well.  Looks like it may finally be dying off.

Offline bandaches

« Reply #2471 on: January 05, 2021, 12:25:46 PM »
I had problems getting to it as well.  Looks like it may finally be dying off.
that is a shame it is so much easier to use than greg's site and even someone just posted their frustration with greg's overly verbose site being difficult to use on one of the facebook pages.  I was going to direct them to Rusty's site.  Anyone know how to reach Rusty?
Contact me at bandaches@yahoo.com as I have tons of wackys for sale!  Visit my website http://www.wackypackage.com/

Offline MoldRush

« Reply #2472 on: January 05, 2021, 06:09:16 PM »
I'm pretty sure this was the actual toy used for the parody, unless the boy with red shirt and overalls was used on other toy packaging. I thought there was maybe a stacking toy in bright colors that better matched the atomic bombs, but I couldn't find anything that was a match.
I’d say it’s virtually a lock that this is an exact product match.  In most cases where you have a character on the parody it’s an added embellishment, but here the parody character is a direct reflection of the kid on the canister.  Looking up vintage block containers shows many different kids used on the packaging.  The closely matching clothes and hair color in this case is tantamount to having a DNA match.

Offline jleonard1967

« Reply #2473 on: January 05, 2021, 09:26:55 PM »
I guess it just expired.  That does mean that it is available if you want it.  I did go on Gregs site and he does have a cool feature.  Cross reference pictures (alphabetically) of all versions of a sticker.  I typed in Ajerx and I got every variation of it.  Now my brain hurts because in the picture I can't tell some of these apart to know what series they are from. the 79 test series looks just like the 73 series.  That is just an example.  I have quite a few stickers and want to go through them to see the difference.  I just wish that I could personally distinguish them on my own with out the aid of the website.  However I have to say that those pictures do help out.  If you haven't checked that feature out, it is well worth it. IMO - JOE

Offline bandaches

« Reply #2474 on: January 05, 2021, 09:33:58 PM »
I guess it just expired.  That does mean that it is available if you want it.  I did go on Gregs site and he does have a cool feature.  Cross reference pictures (alphabetically) of all versions of a sticker.  I typed in Ajerx and I got every variation of it.  Now my brain hurts because in the picture I can't tell some of these apart to know what series they are from. the 79 test series looks just like the 73 series.  That is just an example.  I have quite a few stickers and want to go through them to see the difference.  I just wish that I could personally distinguish them on my own with out the aid of the website.  However I have to say that those pictures do help out.  If you haven't checked that feature out, it is well worth it. IMO - JOE
yes that sounds cool if it is accurate.  Not saying he doesn't have cool stuff but he just can't get out of his own way to make things simple.  There are words everywhere with links in the middle of paragraphs and such.  People like a menu and a click.  It is exactly what the person who complained on facebook today brought up.

Rusty's site doesn't look like it expired, I looked at the renewal.  Actually if I read the renewal right, it was nenewed days ago but that could be auto pilot renewal for the site but not neccessarily the web content server.  I did some google searches, did Rusty have a stroke like 18 months ago?  Not sure if the Rusty that came up in google searches is the same guy.  I never met him.

Offline jleonard1967

« Reply #2475 on: January 06, 2021, 08:10:34 AM »
Ernie, I  just liked it as I want to get where I can notice a variant right off (besides the obvious ones).  I know that you have a plethora of knowledge when it comes to variants.  If you could look at what Greg has done and let me know if it is useable or not I would be greatly appreciative.  I just need the picture guide to tell the difference and if they are good I would love to be able to use it.  I do agree that the old lost wacky site was easier to used, however it is not working and I notice that Greg is updating his site.  -Thanks JOE

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #2476 on: January 06, 2021, 08:21:43 AM »
yes that sounds cool if it is accurate.  Not saying he doesn't have cool stuff but he just can't get out of his own way to make things simple.  There are words everywhere with links in the middle of paragraphs and such.  People like a menu and a click.  It is exactly what the person who complained on facebook today brought up.

Rusty's site doesn't look like it expired, I looked at the renewal.  Actually if I read the renewal right, it was nenewed days ago but that could be auto pilot renewal for the site but not neccessarily the web content server.  I did some google searches, did Rusty have a stroke like 18 months ago?  Not sure if the Rusty that came up in google searches is the same guy.  I never met him.

I guess it depends on what you are looking for. Greg’s pages are written more like a mini article where you can refer to background information within the main article if you want to. I find that format much more enjoyable than Rusty’s pages, but if you want to spend the minimum amount of time it may not be ideal.

Offline Swiski

« Reply #2477 on: January 07, 2021, 05:27:43 AM »
If I recall, Rusty's page showed many rough sketches and lost Wackies, along with comparison parodies to real product images.

Greg's site is well organized, but focuses more on the final product.

Offline Swiski

« Reply #2478 on: January 07, 2021, 05:43:03 AM »
Lowgrade Bawl Park Wet Franks compared to Hygrade Ball Park All Meat Franks.

Offline MoldRush

« Reply #2479 on: January 07, 2021, 06:04:13 PM »
Yet another 15th title I missed in the OS era.  I wonder how those weeping weenies would have struck me at a younger age, because I have to say, they strike me as a bit creepy now whenever I look at them.  That being said, i do like it nonetheless, another very silly Wacky.  Nice touch with the grill lines too.  Funny how ‘Bawl Park Franks’ and the next title, ‘Sore Mel Chili’ combine for a nice chili dog!

Offline bandaches

« Reply #2480 on: January 08, 2021, 04:21:44 AM »
I guess it depends on what you are looking for. Greg’s pages are written more like a mini article where you can refer to background information within the main article if you want to. I find that format much more enjoyable than Rusty’s pages, but if you want to spend the minimum amount of time it may not be ideal.
Rusty does have lots of backround and detail.  So rusty has a menu that you click to get to details, greg has details and you have to click in the middle of the details to get to images.  After learning history most use these sites as quick reference, other than to to see uncut sheets for reference, I don't think I ever use greg's site for quick reference.

Offline bandaches

« Reply #2481 on: January 08, 2021, 04:22:22 AM »
Ernie, I  just liked it as I want to get where I can notice a variant right off (besides the obvious ones).  I know that you have a plethora of knowledge when it comes to variants.  If you could look at what Greg has done and let me know if it is useable or not I would be greatly appreciative.  I just need the picture guide to tell the difference and if they are good I would love to be able to use it.  I do agree that the old lost wacky site was easier to used, however it is not working and I notice that Greg is updating his site.  -Thanks JOE
yes for sure will give it a once over.

Offline Swiski

« Reply #2482 on: January 10, 2021, 05:43:24 AM »
Sore Mel Chili with Jeans compared to Hormel Chili with Beans...

Offline MoldRush

« Reply #2483 on: January 10, 2021, 06:38:15 PM »
The first thing that strikes me is the simple, no-frills look of the can label, but when I see how similar the real product looks, it makes sense.  And the perfectly matching pattern on the chili bowl clinches it for me that this is an exact real product match.

This is an example where they really couldn’t come up with a good idea to sell the gag, specifically what made Mel sore.  Someone took his pants and threw them in the chili? How small must his pants be, or how big a bowl of chili that must be to completely hide his jeans?   Whaaaaattt?!??!?

That being said, still like it a lot.  Another really silly Wacky, good companion to Moron Pot Pie.

Offline Swiski

« Reply #2484 on: January 11, 2021, 04:52:53 AM »
The first thing that strikes me is the simple, no-frills look of the can label, but when I see how similar the real product looks, it makes sense.  And the perfectly matching pattern on the chili bowl clinches it for me that this is an exact real product match.

This is an example where they really couldn’t come up with a good idea to sell the gag, specifically what made Mel sore.  Someone took his pants and threw them in the chili? How small must his pants be, or how big a bowl of chili that must be to completely hide his jeans?   Whaaaaattt?!??!?

That being said, still like it a lot.  Another really silly Wacky, good companion to Moron Pot Pie.

Yeah, the gag here is pretty surreal! I love parodies like this one where it "breaks the wall" a little more.