Author Topic: Gag Criticism, Variation, and Packaging  (Read 649455 times)

Offline bigtomi

Re: Gag Criticism, Variation, and Packaging
« Reply #1960 on: April 18, 2020, 09:07:13 AM »
I don’t think that site is active anymore, although occasionally folks here post links to specific images that seem to work.  I just can’t enter the general website anymore, haven’t been able to for a couple years at least.
It seems Rusty changed something at some point for the home page and the default "index.html" file isn't there. Try this URL instead: http://www.lostwackys.com/lostwackys.htm

Offline MoldRush

« Reply #1961 on: April 18, 2020, 10:47:52 AM »
Thanks for that.  Will have to write down that extension for future reference!  That site is still a good resource.

Offline Swiski

« Reply #1962 on: April 19, 2020, 08:05:36 AM »
Rusty's Lost Wackys site is indeed a valuable resource! I'm hoping to help here posting larger, clearer, more accurate real product images. It's definitely a labor of love for me!

Offline Swiski

« Reply #1963 on: April 19, 2020, 08:07:02 AM »
Shock compared to Schick. Anyone know if there is a more accurate match for the real product?

Something of interest - Jay Lynch's Shock rough art from Randy's Lost Wackys site has a different packaging design than the final parody. I was able to find a real product match for his rough art.

« Last Edit: April 19, 2020, 01:25:01 PM by Swiski »

Offline Swiski

« Reply #1964 on: April 19, 2020, 08:32:32 AM »
Getting back to Dud's root beer, I also discovered Jay Lynch's rough art for that parody matches the real product more closely.

Offline bigtomi

« Reply #1965 on: April 19, 2020, 09:24:52 AM »
Getting back to Dud's root beer, I also discovered Jay Lynch's rough art for that parody matches the real product more closely.
It also seems to help explain the presence of the animals and hat on the Wacky. Jay's rough notes explain they are blowing in the wind/breeze (drafty boot beer). Still not 100% sure about the cat, though, as the feline seems somewhat immune to the effects of the wind. I think Jay liked cats more than dogs, so maybe this was a statement to that end. Unfortunately, can't ask him.

Offline Baked Bears

« Reply #1966 on: April 20, 2020, 05:25:49 AM »
Still not 100% sure about the cat, though, as the feline seems somewhat immune to the effects of the wind.

The cat is hiding behind the boot out of the wind.

To be honest, I never noticed the wind before or paid much attention to it.  I always thought that it was just a tinted highlight on the can.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2020, 05:30:26 AM by Baked Bears »

Offline Swiski

« Reply #1967 on: April 23, 2020, 05:17:02 AM »
Dud and Duz...

Offline Baked Bears

« Reply #1968 on: April 23, 2020, 08:28:41 AM »
Talk about an actual dull product!  I think the Wacky should have been called "Dull."  It would have more accurately reflected the real product.  At least the character imparted a bit of life!
« Last Edit: April 23, 2020, 08:30:24 AM by Baked Bears »

Offline DrSushi

« Reply #1969 on: April 23, 2020, 08:34:50 AM »
I didn't realize until now that this was a re-parody, if you will, of Duz following Duzn't from the first series. Like most sequels, inferior to the original.

Offline Bigmuc13

« Reply #1970 on: April 23, 2020, 08:42:51 AM »
I didn't realize until now that this was a re-parody, if you will, of Duz following Duzn't from the first series. Like most sequels, inferior to the original.

I can see how that would be hard to pick up, especially since there was a wholesale change to the product packaging.   The Duzn't box is not even close to the Dud box.
Still looking for Series 17

Offline MoldRush

« Reply #1971 on: April 23, 2020, 09:34:47 AM »
I can see how that would be hard to pick up, especially since there was a wholesale change to the product packaging.   The Duzn't box is not even close to the Dud box.
Very cool observation - a re-parody following major changes to the real product packaging.  That was definitely more of an ANS phenomenon, as several brands were just ripe for being spoofed over and over, although in many cases with minimal changes to packaging.  I’m sure glad all those Dunkin‘ Donuts parodies got made before they dropped the “Donuts” from their name.  What the heck can you do with just Dunkin’?

I’d be interested to know how many times this happened strictly in OS.  Probably not that many, but probably more than one would guess just throwing out a quick guess without thinking it through.  For example, Poopsie / Pupsi / Burpsi.

But back on topic, I kinda like Dud.  Cute character, and the yawn is convincing enough to make me yawn when I look at it.  I do like most of the laundry detergent box parodies for some reason.

Offline Swiski

« Reply #1972 on: April 23, 2020, 10:17:55 AM »
Even the basic red and blue on the real Duz box is so generic. The parody artist used a deeper red and lighter blue to make it slightly more interesting.

Offline freetoes

« Reply #1973 on: April 23, 2020, 04:04:27 PM »
This is about the most lifeless original packaging I've seen. The Wacky version looks materially different, but worth the trade-off.

Offline Swiski

« Reply #1974 on: April 24, 2020, 04:52:36 AM »
Mr. Mean compared to Mr. Clean, along with the first parody Mrs. Klean...

« Last Edit: April 24, 2020, 05:30:29 AM by Swiski »

Offline Baked Bears

« Reply #1975 on: April 24, 2020, 05:14:05 AM »
I prefer Mrs. Klean over Mr. Mean, though I do like the bubbles and sediment in Mr. Mean's bottle.

Offline Swiski

« Reply #1976 on: April 24, 2020, 05:33:00 AM »
I prefer Mrs. Klean over Mr. Mean, though I do like the bubbles and sediment in Mr. Mean's bottle.
I agree! Why did they have Mrs. Klean name start with a K? They couldn't have Mrs. Clean with a C for legal reasons?
Mr. Mean has a better, more accurately shaped bottle too.

Offline MoldRush

« Reply #1977 on: April 24, 2020, 08:59:29 AM »
This is one of those cases where the second parody is arguably aesthetically better, but those initial introductions to 1st Series titles left such an indelible impression that we will always prefer that first parody no matter what.

I’m not absolutely sure, but I think Mrs. Klean may be the very first Wacky I ever saw.

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #1978 on: April 24, 2020, 10:22:23 AM »
I like the contents of the Mr. Mean bottle better than the Mrs. Klean bottle, which is boring.  I think "Bully Size" would have been a better tag line for this one, but overall, it's a solid Wacky with a great gag and artwork, and a good character.

Offline Swiski

« Reply #1979 on: April 25, 2020, 11:48:43 AM »
Flare and Flair pens...

Offline freetoes

« Reply #1980 on: April 25, 2020, 02:53:14 PM »
One of my favorites from this series. The product was familiar, the packaging spot-on, and this is one of the better homonymous titles. Plus, Flare and Killette were the last Wackys I acquired in the '70's. I got them in a pack on Halloween, 1977 (the last time I went out trick-or-treating).

Offline MoldRush

« Reply #1981 on: April 25, 2020, 04:08:22 PM »
I was never big on this one, but pens and markers in blister packs hanging from pegboards in drugstores and corner stationary stores (remember those?) were a ubiquitous part of the grade school years, so I do appreciate it as a product of the times.  Same for Big Banana.  Come to think of it, Topps could have spoofed many more of these types of products than they did.  Rrrrrroooolllliinnggg Writer, Pentel pen!!!!

Offline MoldRush

« Reply #1982 on: April 25, 2020, 04:30:43 PM »
Plus, Flare and Killette were the last Wackys I acquired in the '70's. I got them in a pack on Halloween, 1977 (the last time I went out trick-or-treating).
Did you receive a legit 12th pack, or were they in one of those fun packs?  Either way, an early childhood experience like that will make you love the titles you got more than you might have otherwise, because of that singular experience.  I was never lucky enough to get Wackys for Halloween, but if I did I’m sure I’d remember it well.  Funny you got it 2-3 years after the fact too.

I can still remember well the cards I did get on Halloween - a 1978 pack of Fleer Team Action football, which I really liked because the cards had pics of game action, not those close-up head shots common on Topps football at the time.  Also 1979(?) Fleer World Series, which had cartoon recaps of past World Series.  And of course Sugar Daddy Pro Faces, tiny skinny cards with a player’s face photo superimposed on a cartoon body.  They weren’t all in that format, but I got a few of those.  All football.  Great stuff.

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #1983 on: April 25, 2020, 11:14:05 PM »
Flare and Flair pens...

I really like this one.  Great gag and matching taglines, they nailed the packaging, and the flaming pen with the matchstick end is funny.

Offline drono

« Reply #1984 on: April 26, 2020, 04:35:51 AM »
I was never lucky enough to get Wackys for Halloween

I remember my mother bringing home a fun bag that had Wacky Packages in it, and I didn't have enough sense to keep it unopened.  We gave the packs away for Halloween.  I'll bet no one in my neighborhood appreciated them as much as I would have, especially now.  As kids the things that we didn't know were going to be collectible now (unopened packs, wrappers, boxes, etc.) and discarded.  I even gave a Pupsi Cola to a girl I was dating because her dad worked for Pepsi and I didn't realize it was rare.

Offline Jean Nutty

« Reply #1985 on: April 26, 2020, 08:13:15 AM »

I remember my mother bringing home a fun bag that had Wacky Packages in it, and I didn't have enough sense to keep it unopened.

I'd hope the desire to not open a package is a disease exclusive to adults   :^)    A kid doing it seems wrong . . .     

Offline MoldRush

« Reply #1986 on: April 26, 2020, 11:52:41 AM »
I'd hope the desire to not open a package is a disease exclusive to adults   :^)    A kid doing it seems wrong . . .   
A good point, no one should beat themselves up over failing to save even the wrappers, let along keeping packs sealed.  It’s just not in a young kid’s DNA.  Even with Reissues, though I bought enough 1st and 2nd to finish each of those sets two to three times over, it never dawned on me to keep intact sealed packs.  It wasn’t until the mid 80s that I started keeping a few sportcard packs sealed.

Offline MoldRush

« Reply #1987 on: April 26, 2020, 11:53:46 AM »
*let alone
F&$#@+%$ spellcheck

Offline Fanatical_and_Sickly

• Administrator
« Reply #1988 on: April 26, 2020, 11:57:39 AM »
*let alone
F&$#@+%$ spellcheck
FYI, you can always go back and edit your post using the Modify option in the upper right of the message box

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #1989 on: April 26, 2020, 12:47:19 PM »
FYI, you can always go back and edit your post using the Modify option in the upper right of the message box

I tell people that a lot, but I guess sometimes it's more fun to cuss at the )$#(*&^ thing!

My sister's cellphone makes some crazy spell "corrections" that I have to figure out.

Offline MoldRush

« Reply #1990 on: April 26, 2020, 01:14:48 PM »
Thanks for the tip.

Here’s my favorite, few years back.  Was texting my wife trying to coordinate a Chipotle order.  My iPhone spellcheck changed ‘Chipotle’ to ‘Hitler.’  I kid you not.

Offline freetoes

« Reply #1991 on: April 26, 2020, 08:42:15 PM »
Did you receive a legit 12th pack, or were they in one of those fun packs?  Either way, an early childhood experience like that will make you love the titles you got more than you might have otherwise, because of that singular experience.  I was never lucky enough to get Wackys for Halloween, but if I did I’m sure I’d remember it well.  Funny you got it 2-3 years after the fact too.

I can still remember well the cards I did get on Halloween - a 1978 pack of Fleer Team Action football, which I really liked because the cards had pics of game action, not those close-up head shots common on Topps football at the time.  Also 1979(?) Fleer World Series, which had cartoon recaps of past World Series.  And of course Sugar Daddy Pro Faces, tiny skinny cards with a player’s face photo superimposed on a cartoon body.  They weren’t all in that format, but I got a few of those.  All football.  Great stuff.

I'm pretty sure it was a legitimate 12th pack. It was a single green pack, not from one of those grab bags, with the two stickers and a Series 12 checklist. The gum might have been a little stale after three years, but I likely just tossed it.

Offline Swiski

« Reply #1992 on: April 27, 2020, 05:58:53 AM »
The next one is another repeat of a product parody from an earlier series. Aquax compared to Ajax, compared to Ajerx. The packaging hasn't changed that much during this time period.

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #1993 on: April 27, 2020, 07:38:38 AM »
The next one is another repeat of a product parody from an earlier series. Aquax compared to Ajax, compared to Ajerx. The packaging hasn't changed that much during this time period.

This one never did anything for me.  Doesn't seem particularly funny.  Could be that Ajerx is such a fantastic Wacky, and the duck was just not a good enough substitute?  The can isn't nearly as well done either.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2020, 07:51:48 AM by RawGoo »

Offline sco(o)t

• Looking:Postcard Ser4 BUGWEISER Smokin' Joe sketch
« Reply #1994 on: April 27, 2020, 10:04:21 AM »
This one never did anything for me.  Doesn't seem particularly funny.  Could be that Ajerx is such a fantastic Wacky, and the duck was just not a good enough substitute?  The can isn't nearly as well done either.

Agreed. The duck theme really isn’t related back to anything. The Valdez oil spill was still about 15 years in the future. One redeeming quality... another example where a generic swoosh or stripe is morphed into an interesting form or character.
aka Scot Leibacher (no trademark)

anything