Author Topic: Gag Criticism, Variation, and Packaging  (Read 640276 times)

Offline Swiski

Re: Gag Criticism, Variation, and Packaging
« Reply #1925 on: April 11, 2020, 05:31:13 AM »
Hav-A-Temper and Hav-A-Tampa cigars.

I thought Havatampa was a Spanish word for the type of tobacco used, or the name of a person or village somewhere in South America. But here is the story...

Hav-a-Tampa was one of the few early cigar companies that was totally American owned. Using the name of the city in the cigar brand name also helped make Tampa known as Cigar City. It's signature line went, "Won't you Hav-A-Tampa cigar?" The company introduced its signature Tampa Jewels cigar in 1931. They were sent to military bases around the world. Hav-A-Tampa produced several additional name brands including Tampa Sweet, Tampa Nugget and Phillies. The Hav-A-Tampa factory was a nondescript Riga Boulevard building east of Ybor City. The company became the first to bring machines into the cigar-making business. It revolutionized the business "for good or bad, depending on who you ask." said the curator of the Tampa Bay History Center, Rodney Kite-Powell.

I'd like to know the origin of the woman in the logo, and what is the symbol she is in front of. Looks like a monogram of C and B, but I'm not sure.

« Last Edit: April 11, 2020, 06:07:43 AM by Swiski »

Offline MoldRush

« Reply #1926 on: April 12, 2020, 04:52:36 PM »
Generally speaking I like the tobacco product Wackys, especially considering how ubiquitous cigarettes, cigars and related advertising were in that era, but I have to say there are several cigar products I’ve never heard of, including this one.  Ditch Masters and Optimo sure, but Half and Half, El Producto, Robt. Burns, Muriel Blends, King Edward, Rum and Maple, etc?  Not a clue.

Offline MoldRush

« Reply #1927 on: April 12, 2020, 04:57:54 PM »
I do like what was done with this one.  The little dynamite tips on the cigars are a nice touch.  I think any packaging with a cutout window showing the contents inside is a great choice for parody because you can do a lot with it creatively. Similar to clear bottles and jars showing crazy contents.  Plus here you’ve already got a character, so it’s a thumbs up for me.

Offline Fanatical_and_Sickly

• Administrator
« Reply #1928 on: April 12, 2020, 06:01:34 PM »
Love that logo, and turning the villa into an explosion was inspired.

Wild guess, but the red framing looks like a highly stylized lower case h (upper right) and a very large c, for hav-a-Tampa Cigars.

Offline DrSushi

« Reply #1929 on: April 12, 2020, 07:31:39 PM »

Wild guess, but the red framing looks like a highly stylized lower case h (upper right) and a very large c, for hav-a-Tampa Cigars.
Well spotted! I'll buy that.

Online RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #1930 on: April 13, 2020, 02:45:09 AM »
I always liked this one because the gag, taglines and little TNT cigars all go very well together.  And the cellophane is wonderfully done!  Now that I've seen the packaging I can really appreciate it - the way the box, contents and front artwork was reworked is masterful!!

Offline sco(o)t

• Looking:Postcard Ser4 BUGWEISER Smokin' Joe sketch
« Reply #1931 on: April 13, 2020, 01:50:17 PM »
I agree with the previous comments. I would not have known this product at age 10 or 11 if not for an uncle that smoked this brand. But I don't recall seeing advertising for it back in the day like the other brands mentioned previously. I have to admit liking it primarily for the colorful explosion.
aka Scot Leibacher (no trademark)

Offline Swiski

« Reply #1932 on: April 13, 2020, 08:07:01 PM »
This next one if perfect for the toilet paper hoarding fascination these days...Barman and Charmin

Offline MoldRush

« Reply #1933 on: April 14, 2020, 04:19:56 PM »
Well-rendered, but I’ve never liked the big meathead “Barman” character all that much.  I feel like he reminds me of someone real that I’m none too fond of, though I’m not quite sure who that is.  Would have preferred staying with the baby character like Ivery Snow did, but I realize ‘Charmin’ doesn’t offer a wide variety of choices for parody concepts.

Offline Swiski

« Reply #1934 on: April 15, 2020, 05:13:57 AM »
Well-rendered, but I’ve never liked the big meathead “Barman” character all that much.  I feel like he reminds me of someone real that I’m none too fond of, though I’m not quite sure who that is.  Would have preferred staying with the baby character like Ivery Snow did, but I realize ‘Charmin’ doesn’t offer a wide variety of choices for parody concepts.

Jay Lynch's early rough has the Barman drunk as a younger blonde-haired man. Mr. Whipple would have been the perfect character on the parody.

« Last Edit: April 15, 2020, 05:20:32 AM by Swiski »

Offline sco(o)t

« Reply #1935 on: April 16, 2020, 08:56:17 AM »
I am surprised this "mascot" lasted as long as it did:

https://www.yahoo.com/news/land-o-lakes-dumps-native-america-mascot-235156343.html

Offline Jean Nutty

« Reply #1936 on: April 16, 2020, 10:38:54 AM »
"Rep. Ruth Buffalo (D), have called the woman’s image racist. Buffalo told the paper the image goes “hand-in-hand with human and sex trafficking of our women and girls.… by depicting Native women as sex objects.”

LOL. And people insist booty grinding by Jennifer Lopez is the sign of a strong independent women.

Offline Swiski

« Reply #1937 on: April 16, 2020, 12:34:29 PM »
Next up is Dud's Boot Beer compared to Dad's Root Beer. Here's another incident where the artist took creative liberty.

There was never a can with the lighting bolt Dad's logo on top.

Why didn't they just have the logo wrapped around the boot like the logo is wrapped around the barrel on the bottom?

Offline Zenergizer

« Reply #1938 on: April 16, 2020, 01:06:17 PM »
Hav-A-Temper and Hav-A-Tampa cigars.

I thought Havatampa was a Spanish word for the type of tobacco used, or the name of a person or village somewhere in South America. But here is the story...

Hav-a-Tampa was one of the few early cigar companies that was totally American owned. Using the name of the city in the cigar brand name also helped make Tampa known as Cigar City. It's signature line went, "Won't you Hav-A-Tampa cigar?" The company introduced its signature Tampa Jewels cigar in 1931. They were sent to military bases around the world. Hav-A-Tampa produced several additional name brands including Tampa Sweet, Tampa Nugget and Phillies. The Hav-A-Tampa factory was a nondescript Riga Boulevard building east of Ybor City. The company became the first to bring machines into the cigar-making business. It revolutionized the business "for good or bad, depending on who you ask." said the curator of the Tampa Bay History Center, Rodney Kite-Powell.

I'd like to know the origin of the woman in the logo, and what is the symbol she is in front of. Looks like a monogram of C and B, but I'm not sure.

I love titles like these that make me go back and look at the finer details of the character.  I don't recall taking a long look back in the days when I was younger and actively collecting these "live".

Offline sco(o)t

« Reply #1939 on: April 16, 2020, 01:16:41 PM »

Why didn't they just have the logo wrapped around the boot like the logo is wrapped around the barrel on the bottom?

I would guess the logo would just be too small then.

Offline Baked Bears

« Reply #1940 on: April 16, 2020, 01:56:58 PM »
Next up is Dud's Boot Beer compared to Dad's Root Beer. Here's another incident where the artist took creative liberty.

I like the dog and the cat.  I just don't understand why they are there.

Online RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #1941 on: April 16, 2020, 02:11:27 PM »

Same here.  This is one I never really "got."

Offline Baked Bears

« Reply #1942 on: April 16, 2020, 02:25:14 PM »
Here is a can from today.  Notice the lightning bolt logo.  I would assume the cans at the time would have to have lightning bolt logos, as well  (That is, unless Norm could see into the future.)

Offline lucidjc

« Reply #1943 on: April 16, 2020, 05:26:34 PM »

I think it is because back in the day, boots were thrown at cats and dogs regularly. Sadly its still being done today.

(please support your local shelter)

Jim

Offline MoldRush

« Reply #1944 on: April 16, 2020, 07:35:32 PM »

I wouldn’t be too quick to conclude definitively that the name was never placed at the top of the can.  Product designs change often and rapidly at times, even if only minor tweaks.  As an example, try finding a Smith Brothers cough drop box whose graphics are an exact  match with Smith Sisters from the 5th.  Jason Liebig searched for years, and I think he had to reach across the pond to the UK to finally land a match.  The A&P green beans can label from Ape Green Beans?  Fugghedaboutit!  Also, it bears mentioning that pre-internet obscure items in general can be particularly elusive on the Internet.  I’m a fan of a color-by-numbers feature that used to be in our Sunday newspaper comics when I was a kid, and they ran this feature for more than 20 years, which equates to more than 1,000 images, and I can’t find one stinking Google image to save my life.  It was called Coloring College (later changed to Crayon Corner), and the line drawing pictures were typically different forms of wildlife, plants, historical events and people, weather phenomena, and other forms of Americana.  I guess the recent trend in adult coloring books as a form of relaxation therapy is what rekindled my interest in them.  Plus I still have a bunch that we colored in as kids.

Offline MoldRush

« Reply #1945 on: April 16, 2020, 07:39:57 PM »
"Rep. Ruth Buffalo (D), have called the woman’s image racist. Buffalo told the paper the image goes “hand-in-hand with human and sex trafficking of our women and girls.… by depicting Native women as sex objects.”

LOL. And people insist booty grinding by Jennifer Lopez is the sign of a strong independent women.

Sorry Rep. Ruth, I never got a chub from looking at a box of Land O Lakes.  And eating a PT Barnum animal cracker never gave me the urge to cruelly imprison wild animals.  The things people expend their mental energy on will never cease to amaze me.

Offline drono

« Reply #1946 on: April 17, 2020, 03:56:56 AM »
The things people expend their mental energy on will never cease to amaze me.

Like removing Confederate Soldier statues and renaming schools with Confederate Generals' names.  We rode around downtown Portsmouth, VA this weekend and noticed that someone had placed a mask over a Confederate Soldier's face in response to the COVID-19 pandemic.  Now, that I don't mind because it's done in good taste.

Offline Lavirus

« Reply #1947 on: April 17, 2020, 06:35:51 AM »
We all pick our battles in life. Some things that upset you may not upset me and vice-versa, but if you want to raise a fuss, go right ahead. But let me do the same if that's my prerogative. Frankly, it's mostly noise out in the news anyway and easily ignored. 

Offline FourRoses

« Reply #1948 on: April 17, 2020, 06:41:27 AM »
As it stands here and now, I'm surprised WP's are still produced in some capacity as it seems anything, no matter how innocent, can be offensive to the paramecium out there.

Offline bigtomi

« Reply #1949 on: April 17, 2020, 07:39:41 AM »
it seems anything, no matter how innocent, can be offensive to the paramecium out there.
Are you ridiculing paramecium? I take offense to that!!   :P

Offline Swiski

« Reply #1950 on: April 17, 2020, 09:55:08 AM »
I wouldn’t be too quick to conclude definitively that the name was never placed at the top of the can.  Product designs change often and rapidly at times, even if only minor tweaks.  As an example, try finding a Smith Brothers cough drop box whose graphics are an exact  match with Smith Sisters from the 5th.  Jason Liebig searched for years, and I think he had to reach across the pond to the UK to finally land a match.  The A&P green beans can label from Ape Green Beans?  Fugghedaboutit!  Also, it bears mentioning that pre-internet obscure items in general can be particularly elusive on the Internet.  I’m a fan of a color-by-numbers feature that used to be in our Sunday newspaper comics when I was a kid, and they ran this feature for more than 20 years, which equates to more than 1,000 images, and I can’t find one stinking Google image to save my life.  It was called Coloring College (later changed to Crayon Corner), and the line drawing pictures were typically different forms of wildlife, plants, historical events and people, weather phenomena, and other forms of Americana.  I guess the recent trend in adult coloring books as a form of relaxation therapy is what rekindled my interest in them.  Plus I still have a bunch that we colored in as kids.

I'm just guessing from the two can images I found that the WP artist made some creative changes. It's not the first time this happened. It's possible there is a matching can out there released during a brief time period. I'm still looking heavily. But you're right...many 1970s era packaging images are lost in obscurity. It's like a treasure hunt for me to find them!

Offline sco(o)t

« Reply #1951 on: April 17, 2020, 12:09:46 PM »

I wonder if maybe "the adults" finally learned about the old "fold trick" you can do with Land O Lakes. Probably with the Wacky as well.

Offline Fanatical_and_Sickly

• Administrator
« Reply #1952 on: April 17, 2020, 12:21:14 PM »
okay enough Wacky, but the product is one I was never familiar with as a kid. And even now, I'm not sure I've ever noticed it in a store.

Seeing this spoof does make me wonder if the "Not Your Father's Root Beer" brand name started as a play on this one. While it is a common catch-phrase, to be tied in with root beer seems more than a coincidence.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2020, 12:35:23 PM by Fanatical_and_Sickly »

Offline MoldRush

« Reply #1953 on: April 17, 2020, 04:36:12 PM »
I wonder if maybe "the adults" finally learned about the old "fold trick" you can do with Land O Lakes. Probably with the Wacky as well.
Never heard of that, but I’m guessing it’s got something to do with making her knees look like naked boobs?  Maybe that’s how the MAD fold-in got started!

Offline MoldRush

« Reply #1954 on: April 17, 2020, 04:45:32 PM »
I'm just guessing from the two can images I found that the WP artist made some creative changes. It's not the first time this happened. It's possible there is a matching can out there released during a brief time period. I'm still looking heavily. But you're right...many 1970s era packaging images are lost in obscurity. It's like a treasure hunt for me to find them!
To be fair, you certainly could be right as well - there are many examples of creative license taken, like distorting product shapes, the Mexican Hats parody yellow box that may not exist, etc.

I always thought the lostwackys.com website had the best real product images available, and many of them are, but in quite a few cases I found better matches with a little investigative work.  I don’t think that site is active anymore, although occasionally folks here post links to specific images that seem to work.  I just can’t enter the general website anymore, haven’t been able to for a couple years at least.

Offline Swiski

« Reply #1955 on: April 18, 2020, 04:27:55 AM »
Buz and Biz...

Offline MoldRush

« Reply #1956 on: April 18, 2020, 06:10:44 AM »
Another real product totally unfamiliar to me.  Never heard of a laundry pre-soaker - maybe this was a predecessor to Shout!

Nice enough in overall appearance, the bee character is funny looking, and “gnat wt” is clever too.  Good job sprucing up an incredibly drab-looking product.

Offline sco(o)t

« Reply #1957 on: April 18, 2020, 06:24:28 AM »
Never heard of that, but I’m guessing it’s got something to do with making her knees look like naked boobs?  Maybe that’s how the MAD fold-in got started!

Yes, that’s exactly it (boob/knees). Never tried it with a Wacky though.

Offline sco(o)t

« Reply #1958 on: April 18, 2020, 07:07:40 AM »
Buz and Biz...

How about a Pixar updated version of this one called BUZZ... send tough dirt and stains to infinity and beyond. For presoaks on launch day.

« Last Edit: April 18, 2020, 07:10:43 AM by sco(o)t »

Offline Baked Bears

« Reply #1959 on: April 18, 2020, 08:06:35 AM »
Buz and Biz...

I like the washtub.  Very nostalgic.  Reminds me of something I would have seen in a MAD comic back in the day.  I don't think the washtub would work today, though.  Most kids probably wouldn't know that they were actually used for washing in the past.

anything