Author Topic: Gag Criticism, Variation, and Packaging  (Read 638059 times)

Offline mikecho

Re: Gag Criticism, Variation, and Packaging
« Reply #1820 on: January 09, 2020, 08:15:21 AM »
This is also the one pictured in the Wikipedia article on Wackys.

Never understood that one myself. If I'd have written the article, I'd have put in Wormy Packages, not Gulp Oil.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2020, 08:14:54 PM by mikecho »

Offline Swiski

« Reply #1821 on: January 10, 2020, 09:16:19 PM »
Progreaso Raw Clammy Sauce and Progresso Red Clam Sauce. Not an exact product match, but the same label design, followed by a modern day Red Clam Sauce label

« Last Edit: January 10, 2020, 09:18:29 PM by Swiski »

Offline Baked Bears

« Reply #1822 on: January 11, 2020, 07:29:53 AM »
This is also the one pictured in the Wikipedia article on Wackys.

Never understood that one myself. I'd have put in Wormy Packages.

I'd have put in Pupsi (which I think is a bit more iconic and well known) along with a side-by-side comparison of the original product like the way Swiski does here.

Offline Baked Bears

« Reply #1823 on: January 11, 2020, 07:33:04 AM »
Progreaso Raw Clammy Sauce and Progresso Red Clam Sauce. Not an exact product match, but the same label design, followed by a modern day Red Clam Sauce label

Kind of reminds me of the John Lennon spaghetti scene from Magical Mystery Tour.

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #1824 on: January 11, 2020, 08:00:29 AM »

I think this is a really good gag, with funny matching taglines.  The artwork and characters are great - check out the shadows by the guy's arms and water glass!

Offline Swiski

« Reply #1825 on: January 13, 2020, 04:49:17 AM »
Saparin and Savarin coffees compared.

FACT: the guy on the vintage packaging and TV commercials was played by Carlos Montalban, the brother of Ricardo Montalban.

Offline sco(o)t

• Looking:Postcard Ser4 BUGWEISER Smokin' Joe sketch
« Reply #1826 on: January 13, 2020, 01:54:28 PM »

FACT: the guy on the vintage packaging and TV commercials was played by Carlos Montalban, the brother of Ricardo Montalban.

To the last I decaffeinate with thee. From hell's heart I stir at thee. For hate's sake, I spit my last drop at thee
aka Scot Leibacher (no trademark)

Offline Swiski

« Reply #1827 on: January 17, 2020, 10:20:50 AM »
Stinkertoy and Tinkertoy...

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #1828 on: January 17, 2020, 11:25:12 AM »

Not one of my favorite gags, but the taglines are decent, and the glass jar is a beautiful thing to behold!  And I like the goofy character.

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #1829 on: January 17, 2020, 11:32:46 AM »
Stinkertoy and Tinkertoy...

I always liked this one because of how colorful and detailed it is.  The character is great, but doesn't look college aged, so that doesn't seem to go with the "college graduate" tagline. 

Offline MoldRush

« Reply #1830 on: January 17, 2020, 06:27:21 PM »
Not one of my favorite gags, but the taglines are decent, and the glass jar is a beautiful thing to behold!  And I like the goofy character.
I like this one for the same reasons that make Spills Bros. an all-time fave - great detail on the container and great embellishment of an odd character.

Offline MoldRush

« Reply #1831 on: January 17, 2020, 06:29:36 PM »
I always liked this one because of how colorful and detailed it is.  The character is great, but doesn't look college aged, so that doesn't seem to go with the "college graduate" tagline.
I always assumed they were trying to convey the idea of the underaged genius - PhD by the age of 12 or something like that.  Could be wrong, but that’s always how I saw it.

Offline Swiski

« Reply #1832 on: January 19, 2020, 06:31:27 AM »
Love your comments, everyone! Moving along...Fib and Fab, along with the earlier Chicken Fat and Fab for comparison.
NOTE: On my original post for the 2nd Series Fab and Chicken Fat comparisons, I didn't have an exact package match, and still can't locate one to this day. However, I discovered the matching box design, which is a parody cover in itself from a 1966 Andy Warhol art magazine.

« Last Edit: January 23, 2020, 07:07:42 PM by Swiski »

Offline MoldRush

« Reply #1833 on: January 19, 2020, 09:45:48 AM »
I find this one a far superior parody of Fab than the Chicken Fat from Series 2.  A little more detail going on, looks more like a real package, and of course the classic Saunders characters.  I have to say this thread is really increasing my appreciation of the 11th Series, which I had pretty much overlooked due to the lack of exposure as a kid - definitely a series I missed completely.

Getting back to Chicken Fat for a minute - not sure if this has ever been discussed before (knowing my memory I’m guessing it has), but I really feel the 2nd Series titles repeated from the 1969 Ads would have been much better if they were redrawn and repainted for the 2nd Series, at least the products in boxes.  Because of their relatively tiny size as a small fraction of the Ads art, they lacked the detail typically seen in OS Wackys, along the top and side panels of the boxes.  Capn Crud, All-Brain, and Awful Bits come to mind.  They’re still great of course, but could have looked even better.

« Reply #1834 on: January 20, 2020, 01:37:48 PM »
Getting back to Chicken Fat for a minute - not sure if this has ever been discussed before (knowing my memory I’m guessing it has), but I really feel the 2nd Series titles repeated from the 1969 Ads would have been much better if they were redrawn and repainted for the 2nd Series, at least the products in boxes.  Because of their relatively tiny size as a small fraction of the Ads art, they lacked the detail typically seen in OS Wackys, along the top and side panels of the boxes.  Capn Crud, All-Brain, and Awful Bits come to mind.  They’re still great of course, but could have looked even better.
[/quote]

They were.  The ads were painted by Sutton and redone by Saunders for Series 2.

Offline MoldRush

« Reply #1835 on: January 20, 2020, 03:59:51 PM »

They were.  The ads were painted by Sutton and redone by Saunders for Series 2.
Maybe so, but the top and side panels were left essentially blank as before.  Just sayin.’

Offline Swiski

« Reply #1836 on: January 23, 2020, 06:49:03 PM »
Comit and Comet, with the earlier Commie parody for additional comparison.

NOTE: I added the Chicken Fat parody image to my previous comparisons of Fib and Fab

« Last Edit: January 23, 2020, 06:54:58 PM by Swiski »

Offline MoldRush

« Reply #1837 on: January 24, 2020, 05:58:37 PM »

NOTE: I added the Chicken Fat parody image to my previous comparisons of Fib and Fab

Interesting to notice the slight changes in font and the thickness of the outer gold band bordering the red oval.  These cans don’t look like they’re more than a few years apart in age.  The Wackys seem to capture these slight changes accurately.  No strong preference of one over the other in terms of eye appeal, both good but unspectacular titles.  I guess I’d give Commie the slight edge for its early-series nostalgia value.

Offline Swiski

« Reply #1838 on: January 28, 2020, 08:21:02 PM »
Bash and Dash...

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #1839 on: January 29, 2020, 03:06:51 AM »

Not one of my favorites - even as a kid, I knew that the word was "Commit."   But the art is nice, and the gag isn't too bad.

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #1840 on: January 29, 2020, 03:14:01 AM »
Bash and Dash...

Not a bad gag, and the boring packaging is well replicated and enhanced with the funny character.  For me, a less memorable but decent Wacky.

Offline MoldRush

« Reply #1841 on: January 29, 2020, 07:16:46 PM »
Not one of my favorites - even as a kid, I knew that the word was "Commit."   But the art is nice, and the gag isn't too bad.
That misspelling could have been avoided, and possibly a much funnier Wacky could have resulted, if they had gone with ‘Vomit’ instead.  But I’m not sure if Topps would have been willing to go there during the OS era.  Too gross-out maybe? 

Offline Swiski

« Reply #1842 on: February 03, 2020, 04:42:24 AM »
Alpain and Alpen. I understand why they changed the background of the box to brown instead of black (dark brown?) due to the die-cut black border. But they parodied black boxed products before. Irish Spring?

« Last Edit: February 04, 2020, 07:49:20 AM by Swiski »

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #1843 on: February 04, 2020, 12:46:57 PM »
Alpain and Alpen. I understand why they changed the background of the box to brown instead of black (dark brown?) due to the die-cut black border. But they parodied black boxed products before. Irish Spring?

Never really got this one.  The characters are well rendered, but if it is for "nuts" why is there someone in what looks like a military uniform force feeding the cereal into the other guy?  And, what's with the Cap'n Crud type pirate hat?  Finally, there is something odd about the way the art wraps around the box - can't really see a bend, and it looks like they just drew a line through it.

Offline Swiski

« Reply #1844 on: February 04, 2020, 01:03:27 PM »
Never really got this one.  The characters are well rendered, but if it is for "nuts" why is there someone in what looks like a military uniform force feeding the cereal into the other guy?  And, what's with the Cap'n Crud type pirate hat?  Finally, there is something odd about the way the art wraps around the box - can't really see a bend, and it looks like they just drew a line through it.

Something disturbing about how a mentally ill man is treated here, almost tortured! Similar to real life when back in the early 1970s institutions and mental hospitals were more like prisons, and people admitted their family "misfits" in places like that.

Offline mikecho

« Reply #1845 on: February 04, 2020, 02:00:54 PM »
The man with the hat was based on the tired old joke about the insane person who thinks he's Napoleon (hence the "N" on the hat).
« Last Edit: February 04, 2020, 04:14:45 PM by mikecho »

Offline Baked Bears

« Reply #1846 on: February 04, 2020, 03:23:04 PM »
"Napoleon Crossing the Alps" by Jacques Louis David

Notice the mountains beyond the barred window (in the Alpain Wacky.)  I would assume they are the snow-covered Alps (to match the Matterhorn featured on the back of the real product box.)  I would also assume the man wearing green is an orderly in a mental hospital.

Something disturbing about how a mentally ill man is treated here, almost tortured! Similar to real life when back in the early 1970s institutions and mental hospitals were more like prisons, and people admitted their family "misfits" in places like that.

He is being tortured.  That's to make the whole thing go along with the Alpain name.  Something has to be painful, otherwise the Alpain name wouldn't make any sense and fit with all of the insanity taglines.

Incidentally, I used to eat this cereal when I was younger.  I remember liking it, but I didn't get it that often because it was more expensive than other cereals.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2020, 03:29:08 PM by Baked Bears »

Offline ToadallyDude

« Reply #1847 on: February 04, 2020, 05:56:10 PM »
I wonder if the "N" was really meant to be Napoleon... or if it was yet another one of Saunder's mystery signatures, meaning "Norm".

Offline mikecho

« Reply #1848 on: February 06, 2020, 08:13:29 PM »
I wonder if the "N" was really meant to be Napoleon... or if it was yet another one of Saunder's mystery signatures, meaning "Norm".
You know, I never would've thought of that.

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #1849 on: February 06, 2020, 09:26:51 PM »

It’s  a crazy person who has a delusion of being Napoleon...

https://www.straightdope.com/columns/read/2764/napoleon-complex/

Offline mikecho

« Reply #1850 on: February 07, 2020, 12:09:11 AM »
What I said.

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #1851 on: February 07, 2020, 07:28:11 AM »
What I said.

Yes, I didn’t read the whole thread.

Offline Swiski

« Reply #1852 on: February 08, 2020, 01:40:49 PM »
Cult 45 and Colt 45. Simple but effective parody. I almost wish they would have gone further using a tagline such as "It took 45 magic potions to finally get the formula right" The witch illustration could have had a cauldron instead of a cup, and maybe an old book with pages ripped out to explain the frustration of getting the formula perfected.

Another thing they could have done is have a green witch resembling a melting wicked witch of the west a la Wizard of Oz. Above the Cult 45 logo, there could be leading copy saying "Eliminate your witch with..." Then instead of Malt Liquor, it would be Melt Liquor.

« Last Edit: February 08, 2020, 01:49:41 PM by Swiski »

Offline Jean Nutty

« Reply #1853 on: February 09, 2020, 04:22:57 PM »
Ah, my old avatar - Cult 45. Many fond memories! I do wish the witch was a bit larger . . .

Offline ToadallyDude

« Reply #1854 on: February 10, 2020, 03:05:48 PM »
Fred Sanford was funny as hell.  But you can't beat Lando for advertising the brand.  ...although Redd Foxx running a spaceship salvage yard & blasting stormtroopers while stumbling and clutching his heart might be hilarious. 

anything