Author Topic: Gag Criticism, Variation, and Packaging  (Read 638080 times)

Offline sco(o)t

• Looking:Postcard Ser4 BUGWEISER Smokin' Joe sketch
Re: Gag Criticism and Variation
« Reply #140 on: September 30, 2016, 03:58:40 AM »

If the forum has lost interest in this thread, I'll stop posting here because I've seen how much this thread has been neglected lately.

Sometimes real life pulls people away for periods of time. I would suggest slowing the pace down. Maybe 2 or 3 a week instead of daily?
aka Scot Leibacher (no trademark)

Offline bandaches

• http://www.wackypackage.com/
    • Visit my Wacky Pack Website
« Reply #141 on: September 30, 2016, 07:26:28 AM »
Diecuts #20 - Gadzooka

Gadzooka
Annoy Your Teacher
Chew Bubble Gum in Class

Real Product
Original Bazooka
Bubble Gum

Sorry, was away on vacation, I rarely spend any time on this forum when on vacation.  I am not going to go back and comment on all of the past titles discussed here so will just start here.

Agree this is truly iconic, all of the kids quoted "annoy your teacher, chew bubblegum in class" on regular basis.
I think this might be the most iconic wacky, so I can't complain about the gag. It's memorable!

We didn't care much for the "gad"zooka but the art and rest of the taglines made it!
Contact me at bandaches@yahoo.com as I have tons of wackys for sale!  Visit my website http://www.wackypackage.com/

Offline sco(o)t

« Reply #142 on: September 30, 2016, 07:29:13 AM »
Diecuts #18 - Schmutz

Move down to Schmutz
Know the joy of dirty living
The beer that made Milwaukee burp

Real Product
Schlitz
The beer that made Milwaukee famous

Nice parody on the name, "Schmutz" being dirt or filth. I think the tag like should have read, "The beer that made Milwaukee nauseous", to match the original a little closer. The other tag line is probably not really needed. This has nice artwork but, for some reason, just not as memorable to me as much of the other titles.

« Last Edit: September 30, 2016, 07:38:41 AM by sco(o)t »

Offline bandaches

« Reply #143 on: September 30, 2016, 07:31:15 AM »
Diecuts #21 - Moron Salt

Moron Salt
When it rains, the salt doesn't pour

Real Product
Morton Salt
When it rains it pours

Fair enough..
If the forum has lost interest in this thread, I'll stop posting here because I've seen how much this thread has been neglected lately.
I hate this gag other than as a kid, we would have loved the excuse to say "moron".

How about "more ton" salt, it is so heavy, you can't lift it to pour it.
Contact me at bandaches@yahoo.com as I have tons of wackys for sale!  Visit my website http://www.wackypackage.com/

Offline bandaches

« Reply #144 on: September 30, 2016, 07:33:10 AM »
Sometimes real life pulls people away for periods of time. I would suggest slowing the pace down. Maybe 2 or 3 a week instead of daily?
Agreed, was on vacation so I dropped off of this.  Issue with 2-3 per week, it will take a decade to get through all titles.  Perhaps we list 7 titles on each Sunday and then use the week to comment across all 7 titles?  might be a little haphazard but just a thought.

Offline sco(o)t

« Reply #145 on: September 30, 2016, 07:36:14 AM »
Diecuts #19 - Minute Lice

Minute Lice
Pre-Cooked Lice
Long Skinny Type
Makes 6 Sloppy Servings

Real Product
Minute Rice
Enriched Rice Cooked ?

Can't really find pictures of the old product. Scot, take the reins.

I always really liked this one. One simple letter change is almost perfect since rice already looks like lice, and vice versa. I like the way the oval around MINUTE RICE was changed into a pocket watch. Very nice little touch, or did the actual product have that at one time?. No real need for much else on this one. The title stands alone.

« Last Edit: September 30, 2016, 08:17:48 AM by sco(o)t »

Offline sco(o)t

« Reply #146 on: September 30, 2016, 07:49:12 AM »
Diecuts #20 - Gadzooka

Gadzooka
Annoy Your Teacher
Chew Bubble Gum in Class

Real Product
Original Bazooka
Bubble Gum

I think almost everyone would agree... a classic. Terrific characters. The word "gadzooks" is defined as an exclamation of surprise or annoyance,  so the tag line, "annoy your teacher" fits a bit better than one might first think. I like the fact Topps took a swipe at themselves in (almost?) every series.

I think this might be the most iconic wacky, so I can't complain about the gag. It's memorable!

Offline sco(o)t

« Reply #147 on: September 30, 2016, 08:15:51 AM »
Diecuts #21 - Moron Salt

Moron Salt

Real Product
Morton Salt
When it rains it pours

Fair enough..

I think the parody on the product name is good on this one, but doesn't tie into anything else with the product or its properties.   My friends and I did indeed call each other morons (and regrettably, the now, even less politically correct  name, retards) all the time. So I guess I related at that level. This was certainly a familiar product in our home at the time. Another case where, for me, the character was just not that memorable.

Offline sco(o)t

« Reply #148 on: September 30, 2016, 08:28:38 AM »
Diecuts #1 - Boredom's Coffee

Boredom's
Instant coffee
One cup puts you to sleep forever

Just adding some pics to match the other entries. This may be another instance were the product mascot appeared in print ads but not originally on the product, but the Wacky Package incorporated it. Pretty good product name parody, the tag line, "One cup puts you to sleep..." helps sell the boredom aspect. This is one I rediscover every few years when looking through my collection. There's one good thing about getting old... rediscovering Wacky titles is fun.

Offline sco(o)t

« Reply #149 on: September 30, 2016, 08:41:54 AM »
Diecuts #2 - Fearstone

Fearstone
You'll tire of our tires

Adding pics for this title.

Offline sco(o)t

« Reply #150 on: September 30, 2016, 08:46:09 AM »
Diecuts #3 - Vicejoy

Vicejoy
Fungus Tip Cigarettes
Vicejoy's got the taste that rots
20 butts

Adding pictures...

Offline sco(o)t

« Reply #151 on: September 30, 2016, 08:53:45 AM »
Diecuts #4 - Camals

Here's what happens when you smoke
Camals
Jerkish Blend
(Secret message on side) Smoking cigarettes may be hazardous to your health

Original product:
Camel
Turkish and Domestic Blend Cigarettes

I can see the gag here, and I guess 'jerkish' was the best rhyming word they could come up with. I can't really suggest anything here because there really isn't anything marginally wrong with the gag that I can frown upon.

Adding pics. Comparing the two, almost surprised this one didn't get a D&D simply because of the image similarity. Basically the same picture with the camel upside down. If only Joe Camel had been a thing back then. 

Offline sco(o)t

« Reply #152 on: September 30, 2016, 08:58:26 AM »
Diecuts #5 - Campy

Campy
Condemned
Spider Soup

Real Product
Campbells
Condensed
Tomato Soup

What I personally think what would've been funny here is saying "Made with Demented Tomatoes" But the real question is, what does campy mean? I do really like this card either way, so discuss!

Adding pics. I don't think the actual cans shown below are from the correct period. If I find a better match, I'll update. Where is Jason when you need him?!?!?

Maybe a little better match on the can...

« Last Edit: September 30, 2016, 09:32:08 AM by sco(o)t »

Offline NationalSpittoon

« Reply #153 on: September 30, 2016, 12:39:55 PM »
Adding pics. I don't think the actual cans shown below are from the correct period. If I find a better match, I'll update. Where is Jason when you need him?!?!?

Maybe a little better match on the can...

They all look similar in my opinion.

Offline NationalSpittoon

« Reply #154 on: September 30, 2016, 12:40:35 PM »
Agreed, was on vacation so I dropped off of this.  Issue with 2-3 per week, it will take a decade to get through all titles.  Perhaps we list 7 titles on each Sunday and then use the week to comment across all 7 titles?  might be a little haphazard but just a thought.

I would prefer one per day but it's something we can do.

Offline Ruffs

« Reply #155 on: September 30, 2016, 02:17:36 PM »
Mark. This is your gig. Do whatever you want to do. I for one am enjoying this. Also glad Scot caught up. I forgot what some of the real products looked like. Keep going every day

Offline sco(o)t

« Reply #156 on: September 30, 2016, 02:27:42 PM »
Mark. This is your gig. Do whatever you want to do. I for one am enjoying this. Also glad Scot caught up. I forgot what some of the real products looked like. Keep going every day

Slave driver!

Offline NationalSpittoon

« Reply #157 on: September 30, 2016, 02:32:46 PM »

Well I didn't really come up with the idea, I just did what we all said to do. If the others on the forum prefer something, let me know and I'll make it work.

Offline Ruffs

« Reply #158 on: September 30, 2016, 03:18:48 PM »

Offline Jean Nutty

« Reply #159 on: September 30, 2016, 03:30:18 PM »

Offline Gurgle

• recommends zircon-encrusted tweezers
« Reply #160 on: September 30, 2016, 09:03:23 PM »
Love the art and the title. One of the Wackys that makes the non-repeats so desirable.

Nice parody on the name, "Schmutz" being dirt or filth. I think the tag like should have read, "The beer that made Milwaukee nauseous", to match the original a little closer. The other tag line is probably not really needed. This has nice artwork but, for some reason, just not as memorable to me as much of the other titles.

Offline NationalSpittoon

« Reply #161 on: October 01, 2016, 02:37:58 AM »
Diecuts #22 - Liptorn

If you drink this hot soup you'll get your Liptorn
Molten Lava Soup
8 Deadly Servings

Real Product
Lipton Soup

Can't find boxes of this card, I can find the 8th series one though..

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #162 on: October 01, 2016, 03:44:33 AM »
Diecuts #21 - Moron Salt

Moron Salt

Real Product
Morton Salt
When it rains it pours

Fair enough..

I'm enjoying this thread, especially when there's an original product image to compare to the Wacky, but haven't had a lot of time to comment recently.  As for Moron Salt, I don't know/remember why the product tagline was "When it rains it pours" but the Wacky rewrite is funny, and the face is great.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2016, 03:55:08 AM by RawGoo »

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #163 on: October 01, 2016, 04:01:22 AM »
I'm enjoying this thread, especially when there's an original product image to compare to the Wacky, but haven't had a lot of time to comment recently.  As for Moron Salt, I don't know/remember why the product tagline was "When it rains it pours" but the Wacky rewrite is funny, and the face is great.

The tag line was a reference to Morton's patented anti-caking agent that prevented the salt from clumping in humid weather.

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #164 on: October 01, 2016, 04:04:56 AM »
The tag line was a reference to Morton's patented anti-caking agent that prevented the salt from clumping in humid weather.

Thanks for the memory jog!!

Offline sco(o)t

« Reply #165 on: October 01, 2016, 09:03:33 AM »
Diecuts #22 - Liptorn

Molten Lava Soup
8 Deadly Servings

Real Product
Lipton Soup

Can't find boxes of this card, I can find the 8th series one though. 

I suspect there is a better box match than the one I posted. I always loved the artwork on this one. On the weak side in terms of parody titles, but the visual on this one is so strong, its one of my favorites.

Offline Gurgle

• recommends zircon-encrusted tweezers
« Reply #166 on: October 01, 2016, 09:06:14 AM »
You'll get your Liptorn.

Always loved that gag.

Diecuts #22 - Liptorn

Molten Lava Soup
8 Deadly Servings

Real Product
Lipton Soup

Can't find boxes of this card, I can find the 8th series one though..

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #167 on: October 01, 2016, 09:13:05 AM »
You'll get your Liptorn.

Always loved that gag.

I love this one too, and still call the product Liptorn.  Might have been my forum name, but it was already taken when I eventually found the forums. 

Offline bandaches

« Reply #168 on: October 01, 2016, 06:06:32 PM »
You'll get your Liptorn.

Always loved that gag.
I loved the art and loved saying you will get your liptorn but now with adult eyes comparing the art and the gag, I hate that the art doesn't reflect the lip being torn, fire coming out of the mouth is just a mismatch to the gag.  Lipburn would have been better.

Offline bandaches

« Reply #169 on: October 01, 2016, 06:09:26 PM »
Wow, good stuff dude! Now this makes sense.  The only issue, yet again, the gag writers had zero alignment to the kid audience.  It is almost as if the gag writers would more interested in getting off on super ultra clever cerebral gags involving patents and Egyptian leaders than coming up with gags that would be funny for kids.

Offline Bigmuc13

« Reply #170 on: October 01, 2016, 07:41:47 PM »

Never a big fan of this one, but I do love the "move on down to" tag line.  Subtle but funny.  I like nauseos, but how about the beer that made Milwaukee gaseuos?
Still looking for Series 17

Offline Bigmuc13

« Reply #171 on: October 01, 2016, 07:44:35 PM »
I suspect there is a better box match than the one I posted. I always loved the artwork on this one. On the weak side in terms of parody titles, but the visual on this one is so strong, its one of my favorites.

I always liked the visual of him burning his own arm off.  I do love the "Liptorn" title, but I agree with Ernie that is doesn't match the visual reference at all. 
Still looking for Series 17

Offline NationalSpittoon

« Reply #172 on: October 02, 2016, 01:26:29 AM »
Diecuts #23 - Muller

Muller Low Life
Brewed on the Bowery

Real Product
Miller High Life
The champagne of beers

Offline sco(o)t

« Reply #173 on: October 02, 2016, 02:48:21 AM »
Diecuts #23 - Muller

Muller Low Life
Brewed on the Bowery

Real Product
Miller High Life
The champagne of beers

I like the play on "high life" to "low life" with a bum character but "MULLER" is a term associated with milling grain. I wonder if the original intend was to be someone who mulls where  mull is defined as: to make a mess or failure of. But, alas, there is no real word "muller" like that. I like the character and tag line reversal, but maybe only half a star for the product parody itself. This is one of those stretches.

Offline Swiski

« Reply #174 on: October 02, 2016, 08:11:07 AM »

I found this image in my gallery. Closer design with the checkerboard tablecloth...

anything