Author Topic: Gag Criticism, Variation, and Packaging  (Read 640517 times)

Offline Swiski

Re: Gag Criticism, Variation, and Packaging
« Reply #1260 on: August 05, 2018, 02:38:42 PM »
Yubum and Yuban coffee...

Offline Baked Bears

« Reply #1261 on: August 05, 2018, 06:35:35 PM »
Not a bad gag, however I've never heard of Yuban coffee - then or now.  Was/is it a local brand?

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #1262 on: August 06, 2018, 04:46:39 AM »
Good gag and hobo tagline, as well as a well done character.  They nailed the packaging, which I never really knew since I never saw the brand.

Offline Baked Bears

« Reply #1263 on: August 06, 2018, 12:04:06 PM »
Wikipedia:
General Foods marketed decaffeinated coffee under various brand names such as "Sanka" from ce 1927, and "Brim" and "Maxim", the latter a freeze-dried instant coffee, from the 1950s. But it refrained from selling Maxwell House-labeled decaffeinated coffee products until 1983, when it introduced ground "Maxwell House Decaffeinated" into East Coast markets. (At the same time, it introduced a decaffeinated version of its long-established, lighter-tasting "Yuban" brand on the West Coast.) "Maxwell House Instant Decaffeinated Coffee" came to store shelves in 1985. A further modification of the decaf theme, "Maxwell House Lite", a "reduced-caffeine" blend, was introduced nationally in 1992 and in its instant form the following year.

Offline Jean Nutty

« Reply #1264 on: August 06, 2018, 12:40:50 PM »
Yubum and Yuban coffee...

You've got to love the hobo's pinkie extension!

The layout is true to the original, but I don't like to see that much empty real estate on a Wacky. 

Offline Zenergizer

« Reply #1265 on: August 07, 2018, 06:14:46 AM »
I wasn't too familiar with Yuban back then, and even now (is it still made?)
but seeing this gives me more confirmation that the artistry in incredible!

Offline Scheres

• toyghoul.com
« Reply #1266 on: August 07, 2018, 10:25:57 AM »
Always had Yuban coffee around when I was a kid. must have been a west thing?

Offline MoldRush

« Reply #1267 on: August 07, 2018, 11:55:27 AM »
Given that the Wacky generating creative team was east coast-based, it does make me wonder how a product regionally marketed in the west could have reached their crosshairs. In any case, a little Wacky product mystery &  mystique never hurt anybody.  It's kind of like looking at the Irish Wackys in that sense.

Offline Swiski

« Reply #1268 on: August 08, 2018, 08:28:04 PM »
Daffy and Davis Baking Powder...

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #1269 on: August 09, 2018, 02:15:01 AM »
Daffy and Davis Baking Powder...

I always loved this gag, and I stuck a double on the can in our pantry.  The tagline about quacks is good, too.

Offline Swiski

« Reply #1270 on: August 09, 2018, 05:28:11 AM »
I always loved this gag, and I stuck a double on the can in our pantry.  The tagline about quacks is good, too.

Here's another product I was not aware of in our area. I always assumed Daffy was a parody of a product called Duffy Baking Powder. Wondering if Warner Brothers was upset they used Daffy Duck without permission. Is there a story with this?

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #1271 on: August 09, 2018, 05:39:57 AM »
Here's another product I was not aware of in our area. I always assumed Daffy was a parody of a product called Duffy Baking Powder. Wondering if Warner Brothers was upset they used Daffy Duck without permission. Is there a story with this?

I've wondered about Warner Brothers as well, now that I know about copyrights.  But, it wasn't their product, so maybe they considered it free publicity?  Or, perhaps Wackys were completely under their radar because they didn't actually market typical grocery/pharmacy products?

Offline koduck

• Administrator
  • Make it snappy!
« Reply #1272 on: August 09, 2018, 08:05:24 AM »
It may have something to do with Warner Brothers inadvertently forgetting to renew the copyright on some of their original cartoons. Some of the earliest releases are now in the public domain (including Daffy, Bugs, and Elmer). As soon as they realized their mistake, WB renewed copyrights on all of the newer versions of the characters, but that may be the reason why Topps could print Daffy Baking Powder.

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #1273 on: August 09, 2018, 03:52:54 PM »
It may have something to do with Warner Brothers inadvertently forgetting to renew the copyright on some of their original cartoons. Some of the earliest releases are now in the public domain (including Daffy, Bugs, and Elmer). As soon as they realized their mistake, WB renewed copyrights on all of the newer versions of the characters, but that may be the reason why Topps could print Daffy Baking Powder.

I thought about that, too - that is one early Daffy Duck!

Some of the early cartoons are hard to find, but very funny.  B&W Popeye cartoons are SOOOO much better than some of the later ones.

Offline MoldRush

« Reply #1274 on: August 09, 2018, 07:19:11 PM »
In a similar vein, I've always felt that the duck character in Quacker Oats was a nod to Donald Duck.

Offline Baked Bears

« Reply #1275 on: August 09, 2018, 07:25:25 PM »

This may be, however how does this explain "Porkay" from ANS6 thirty-three years later?

Offline Swiski

« Reply #1276 on: August 09, 2018, 08:03:11 PM »
Our region of the country has a chain of grocery stores called Piggly Wiggly that were around long before I was born. I always thought their pig mascot was a rip-off of Porky the Pig.

Offline Baked Bears

« Reply #1277 on: August 09, 2018, 08:47:34 PM »
Looks like he could be a close cousin!

Offline Swiski

« Reply #1278 on: August 10, 2018, 09:48:51 AM »
Continually combatting crickets...or C3 for short...here is the next one:

Dr. Popper and Dr. Pepper...

Offline sco(o)t

• Looking:Postcard Ser4 BUGWEISER Smokin' Joe sketch
« Reply #1279 on: August 10, 2018, 12:28:46 PM »

A classic. I love the parodies where a one letter change is sufficient. It's the character that make this one a winner.
aka Scot Leibacher (no trademark)

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #1280 on: August 10, 2018, 03:02:29 PM »

Please don't go too fast!!  I'll try to get to this tomorrow, gotta go make dinner now  :P

Offline MoldRush

« Reply #1281 on: August 10, 2018, 06:02:30 PM »

Nice.  Simple but effective Wacky.  Iconic and instantly recognizable product graphics translate well to the parody.  I vaguely remember seeing this one stuck somewhere back in the day.  The separation of head from body is a little scary to my 7-year old self, and the rubber glove is a subtle reminder of Slaytex Living Gloves, which was the most violent and terrifying Wacky to me back then.

Offline Swiski

« Reply #1282 on: August 15, 2018, 04:48:50 AM »
Mop & Glop and Mop & Glo. I love the "Wormy Packages" creatures!

Offline ratchet007

« Reply #1283 on: August 15, 2018, 05:22:56 AM »
Never understood why the tag line says "You Will Recognize Your Floor". Shouldn't it be "You WON'T Recognize Your Floor"?

Offline Baked Bears

« Reply #1284 on: August 15, 2018, 08:47:52 AM »
Never understood why the tag line says "You Will Recognize Your Floor". Shouldn't it be "You WON'T Recognize Your Floor"?

I was confused by this one, too.  However, if it is read as "You Will Recognize Your Floor!" - with an emphasis on "Will," along with the exclamation point - the statement becomes something more like a command.  For the most part, floors are plain, ordinary, something to be walked on, and usually never given a second glance, however with "Mop & Glop" your floor will turn into something that definitely grabs and commands your attention.

(Or maybe it's just a grammatical mistake, and the word "Not" was left out of the tagline?)

Love the Wormy Packages creatures, too.  Brings the parody to an entirely different level.

Offline Zenergizer

« Reply #1285 on: August 15, 2018, 10:49:36 AM »
always loved this one, and I appreciate it much more seeing the fantastic
work on the container.

Offline bigtomi

« Reply #1286 on: August 15, 2018, 03:20:35 PM »
If this old man remembers properly, the original ad line around this time was "you won't recognize your floor", meaning that Mop & Glo would do such an incredible job cleaning it, you wouldn't recognize it. Hence, the reversal on the Wacky, to "will", implying that it will still look bad.

Offline Fanatical_and_Sickly

• Administrator
« Reply #1287 on: August 15, 2018, 04:11:22 PM »
it's no Top Slob, but was another well done Wacky with great critters on it.

and just now seeing the original product for the first time, I'm far more impressed with this one.
I didn't realize that exact woman was on the label, or that creepin' was spoofing beacon. Excellent

Offline MoldRush

« Reply #1288 on: August 16, 2018, 02:30:38 AM »
Good point.  The fact that the character is part of the original label and not an added embellishment is a nice little bonus.  And the matching, right down to the clothing, is too funny.

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #1289 on: August 16, 2018, 03:21:40 AM »

I love this gag, and still use the Wacky name for the product.  Great character, too.

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #1290 on: August 16, 2018, 03:28:44 AM »
Mop & Glop is a great gag.  I remember sticking one on the container we had in the kitchen.  I love how they changed the character, and the worms are a nice touch.

Offline Zenergizer

« Reply #1291 on: August 16, 2018, 08:05:35 AM »
I never noticed how the two women are dressed similar, good catch!

Offline Swiski

« Reply #1292 on: August 16, 2018, 07:53:15 PM »
Lipoff and Lipton. I always felt bad for those poor fish!

Offline Baked Bears

« Reply #1293 on: August 17, 2018, 09:03:53 AM »
The fish are a nice touch, however they don't go with the word "chicken."  Or "slop."  Or anything, for that matter, save maybe water.  The gags are reaching for this, that, and the other (scalding, slop, and chicken,) yet the fish are just too far of a stretch IMO.  Perhaps "chicken" should have been changed to "sicken" and include other garbage (cigarette butts, egg shells, bottle caps, as well as the fish?)

Offline Baked Bears

« Reply #1294 on: August 17, 2018, 03:35:24 PM »
As an aside, has anyone ever noticed the inordinate number of "stand alone" heads featured in the 8th series?  That is, heads that aren't connected to a body?  (Like the teacher's head and boy's head in "Gadzooka.")  You find a few examples of this here and there, particularly in the 1st and 2nd series, but Series 8 takes the record.

"Dr. Popper" - the head has popped off the body
"Hostile Thinkies" - there's just those two weird blue and green heads
"Hopeless Snowballs" a snowball is striking a "floating" head
"Kentucky Fried Fingers" - the Colonel's head isn't connected to anything
"Burpsi-Cola" - again showing the dangers of gassy soft drinks
"Kleenaxe Tissues" - no comment necessary
"Rolaches" - no body
"Smoocher's Jam" - no lovers' bodies
"Scary Lee" - no vampire's body

Several other parodies primarily show heads as well, with very little body showing: "Knots," "Daffy," "Scorch, "Cheep," "Choke-Up," "Bone Ami" (the skull,) "Yikes," and "Ivery Snow."  Even in "Kong Fu," the ape is giving a karate chop to a very shadowed neck.

When you find this much of something going on, what might have been considered coincidence instead begins to point toward obsession.  Perhaps someone gave Jay and/or Norm a head's up that their heads might be on the chopping block and this was their way of trying to head things off?