Author Topic: Gag Criticism, Variation, and Packaging  (Read 640875 times)

Offline Swiski

Re: Gag Criticism, Variation, and Packaging
« Reply #1225 on: July 14, 2018, 09:54:18 AM »
I love the way they nailed the writing, and the gag is great, especially with the tagline "The beer that made Milwaukee burp."  That tagline always makes me smile.  And the character is one of the best ever.

Hey Swiski - no comments yourself?

I love reading other people's critiques over my own. Many of you guys are historians that add extra facts about the parodies I never knew. Only thing I noticed is that the inner white circle on the blue ribbon is missing on the parody, where it's on the actual can.

Offline Fanatical_and_Sickly

• Administrator
« Reply #1226 on: July 14, 2018, 10:30:20 AM »
really liked this one and the poster version too. only drawback for me was the pull tab on the top really looked odd.

first thing I did when I got the poster home from the store was to put the sticker version on it in the upper right.
(did the same with a couple other posters as well - Burpsi and Jail-O)

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #1227 on: July 14, 2018, 10:30:52 AM »
I love reading other people's critiques over my own. Many of you guys are historians that add extra facts about the parodies I never knew. Only thing I noticed is that the inner white circle on the blue ribbon is missing on the parody, where it's on the actual can.

Although I never stopped collecting Wackys, I didn't discover the forums until after ANS1 was released, and so was not part of all the great research and discovery that took place back then.

Offline MoldRush

« Reply #1228 on: July 14, 2018, 07:18:36 PM »
Also, the round part of the ribbon has been squished a bit, presumably to make space for the character.  There were a lot of other cases like this where dimensions were tinkered with to either accommodate a character or to fill the space on the finished card as best as possible.  Some obvious examples of the latter that come to mind are Big Buddy and Bloodweiser, both shorter and wider than their real product counterparts.

Offline Jean Nutty

« Reply #1229 on: July 14, 2018, 07:40:59 PM »

really liked this one and the poster version too. only drawback for me was the pull tab on the top really looked odd.

They had to blacken the area around the halos the pull tab is floating on, for contrast, and I think that detracts from the effect.

« Last Edit: July 14, 2018, 07:46:47 PM by Jean Nutty »

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #1230 on: July 14, 2018, 08:17:37 PM »
Has it ever been explained why they completely changed the character?

Offline MoldRush

« Reply #1231 on: July 14, 2018, 08:39:01 PM »
Just a guess, but the poster character looks like a Saunders piece, whereas the one on the sticker maybe not.

Offline Swiski

« Reply #1232 on: July 14, 2018, 08:41:01 PM »
Also, the round part of the ribbon has been squished a bit, presumably to make space for the character.  There were a lot of other cases like this where dimensions were tinkered with to either accommodate a character or to fill the space on the finished card as best as possible.  Some obvious examples of the latter that come to mind are Big Buddy and Bloodweiser, both shorter and wider than their real product counterparts.

The squished round part of the ribbon kind of resembles Stewie Griffin's head with a necktie.

Offline Fanatical_and_Sickly

• Administrator
« Reply #1233 on: July 15, 2018, 06:00:10 AM »
They had to blacken the area around the halos the pull tab is floating on, for contrast, and I think that detracts from the effect.
thanks for the pic. I had forgotten about the floating pull tab on that one, and thought that was kind of neat.
I was referring to the sticker version, which doesn't have the ring and just the triangular punch out area.

Offline Swiski

« Reply #1234 on: July 16, 2018, 07:46:06 PM »
Hurtz and Heinz Ketchup. The keystone label shape has been consistent since 1876...

Offline Baked Bears

« Reply #1235 on: July 17, 2018, 05:14:01 AM »
This parody was so true and on the mark.  You would hurt your hand trying to bang the darn ketchup out.  Now all we have are sissy plastic squeeze bottles that flow smoothly, squirt out the right amount, and don't leave a nasty clotted ketchup mess around the top.  Jeez!  The old bottles at least taught people how to build strength, perseverance, and a propensity for colorful language - not to mention a tolerance for ketchup slathered food when 3/4 of the contents came suddenly pouring out.

Offline MoldRush

« Reply #1236 on: July 17, 2018, 06:56:33 PM »
I still see the old school glass bottles turn up occasionally in diners and such, but probably far less often than I'm imagining.  So the Wacky has that extra aspect for reminiscing purposes.

In a similar vein, I noticed that the label on current jars of marshmallow fluff look identical to the 1974 Wacky, like they were determined to never change it.  Gotta respect that.  There are sooooo many products I'd love to see go retro with their packaging.  Certain General Mills cereals have done a nice job with that in recent years.

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #1237 on: July 18, 2018, 04:54:44 AM »
Hurtz and Heinz Ketchup. The keystone label shape has been consistent since 1876...

One of my all time favorites!  Fantastic gag, and I love the frustrated character.  I still buy Hurtz ketchup.

Offline mikecho

« Reply #1238 on: July 18, 2018, 09:23:41 AM »
This parody was so true and on the mark.  You would hurt your hand trying to bang the darn ketchup out.  Now all we have are sissy plastic squeeze bottles that flow smoothly, squirt out the right amount, and don't leave a nasty clotted ketchup mess around the top.  Jeez!  The old bottles at least taught people how to build strength, perseverance, and a propensity for colorful language - not to mention a tolerance for ketchup slathered food when 3/4 of the contents came suddenly pouring out.
And who could forget the time when they used "Anticipation" as the jingle and the slogan was "It's slo-o-o-w good."?

Offline Swiski

« Reply #1239 on: July 19, 2018, 07:29:02 PM »
And last...but not least...closing out the 7th series...Mex-Pax and Max-Pax

Updated: includes the Mex-Pax poster, using a completely different character and a secret gun.

« Last Edit: July 19, 2018, 09:19:38 PM by Swiski »

Offline MoldRush

« Reply #1240 on: July 19, 2018, 07:50:56 PM »
My first exposure to the 7th Series titles came in Reissue Series 1, and I did not see any non-repeated 7th titles until 1992, nearly 20 years after the fact.  In addition, I had zero familiarity with the Max-pax brand.  To this day, I've never seen it in stores.  So when I came upon this Wacky in 1992, it was a bit of a Twilight Zone feeling.  For a minute, it felt like a "fake" or "fantasy" Wacky, kind of surreal.

Offline Swiski

« Reply #1241 on: July 23, 2018, 04:49:56 AM »
New week, new series! Here is the first from the 8th Series - Knots and Knox...

Offline mikecho

« Reply #1242 on: July 23, 2018, 08:11:57 AM »
My first exposure to the 7th Series titles came in Reissue Series 1, and I did not see any non-repeated 7th titles until 1992, nearly 20 years after the fact.  In addition, I had zero familiarity with the Max-pax brand.  To this day, I've never seen it in stores.  So when I came upon this Wacky in 1992, it was a bit of a Twilight Zone feeling.  For a minute, it felt like a "fake" or "fantasy" Wacky, kind of surreal.
I remember Max-Pax. I think that my mom once used them to make her coffee.

Offline freetoes

« Reply #1243 on: July 23, 2018, 09:19:23 AM »

I gave this one a thumbs-up. Even though I didn't remember seeing the actual product, I saw enough magazine ads for Knox Gelatine to know that the packaging was dead-on.

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #1244 on: July 23, 2018, 02:53:01 PM »
I gave this one a thumbs-up. Even though I didn't remember seeing the actual product, I saw enough magazine ads for Knox Gelatine to know that the packaging was dead-on.

Yep, they nailed the packaging, got some good gags in, and a cool cow (who I felt sorry for).

Offline DrSushi

« Reply #1245 on: July 23, 2018, 04:26:03 PM »

This one was middling for me as a kid.

The original product is interesting as I don't think I've seen "ash" listed in the nutritional breakdown of my foods lately.

Offline NationalSpittoon

« Reply #1246 on: July 24, 2018, 04:15:46 AM »

I've always liked this one, and don't know why..

Offline Swiski

« Reply #1247 on: July 26, 2018, 12:37:11 PM »
Canadian Clod and Canadian Club...

Offline Baked Bears

« Reply #1248 on: July 27, 2018, 10:57:41 AM »
Canadian Clod and Canadian Club...

Another good example of what Norm Saunders could do with glass bottles.  Check out the glass colors "that shouldn't be" - the purples, blues, and greens that are not present in the original product - and yet all blend together in harmonious union in the parody.  It even looks like the reflection of a window (upper left, by hand) is painted into the parody bottle.

Offline Swiski

« Reply #1249 on: July 27, 2018, 12:47:33 PM »
Another good example of what Norm Saunders could do with glass bottles.  Check out the glass colors "that shouldn't be" - the purples, blues, and greens that are not present in the original product - and yet all blend together in harmonious union in the parody.  It even looks like the reflection of a window (upper left, by hand) is painted into the parody bottle.

I agree on his glass illustration! My Sink is one of my favorites with all the junk inside the bottle.

Here is an example of poor glass illustration....

Offline bigtomi

« Reply #1250 on: July 27, 2018, 02:32:18 PM »

We know Blisterine isn't Norm, but do we know who it is? I don't recall that mystery ever being solved...though the painting gets the point across, it is def lower artistic standards.

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #1251 on: July 27, 2018, 02:57:10 PM »

I never really got the gag on this one, possibly because I wasn't familiar with the product, but it was so beautifully painted I never cared.

Offline lucidjc

« Reply #1252 on: July 27, 2018, 03:51:34 PM »
I agree on his glass illustration! My Sink is one of my favorites with all the junk inside the bottle.

And the gag, Monster Mouthwash...Where's the monster. I did like this one because Listerine really tasted like gas!

Jim

Offline Swiski

« Reply #1253 on: July 27, 2018, 05:44:35 PM »
Hex-Lax and Ex-Lax. Wondering if that voodoo mask on the parody is an authentic mask redrawn from reference photos or made up.

« Last Edit: July 27, 2018, 05:47:37 PM by Swiski »

Offline Swiski

« Reply #1254 on: July 31, 2018, 05:29:48 AM »
Bam and Pam...

Offline Baked Bears

« Reply #1255 on: July 31, 2018, 09:53:54 AM »
Bam and Pam...

Curious tag line:  "Keep away from bridges and atomic power plants when NOT in use."  Does this imply it is okay when in use?

Offline MoldRush

« Reply #1256 on: July 31, 2018, 07:23:14 PM »
Sounds like that's just an oddly roundabout way of saying "do not store near bridges or nuclear power plants", I.e., it's explosive.  "When in use" it's creating havoc on your stove, not in those dangerous places.

Offline Swiski

« Reply #1257 on: August 03, 2018, 05:07:00 AM »
Shot Tissue and Scot Tissue...

Offline MoldRush

« Reply #1258 on: August 04, 2018, 10:11:08 AM »
Love the bullet-riddled concept.  Strong Wacky without the need for an added character, IMO.  Really wished they would have included this in one of the Flashback sets.  Having a generous supply of brand new shiny stickers for homemade magnets would have been nice.

Has anyone noticed how the 1982 album version looks a little better than the 8th original?  Colors look bolder.  At first I thought my 8th sticker alone was a little faded, but others I've looked at appear similar.

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #1259 on: August 04, 2018, 01:03:08 PM »
Shot Tissue and Scot Tissue...

I always thought this was a great gag, and I still use the name.  Good taglines, too.

anything