Author Topic: Ebay Mandatory Return Policy Flawed  (Read 4835 times)

Offline CherryBombs

Ebay Mandatory Return Policy Flawed
« on: September 07, 2016, 09:04:59 PM »
As a seller of PSA graded cards and wanting to keep my Top Rated Status and benefits my issue is that why should I have to offer a return policy when I'm selling a card and the buyer knows exactly what they're getting. When I put this to several Ebay reps I get the same, repetitive answer " We're trying to find a solution for this problem because we are aware of tis issue " that was almost 1 year ago and nothing has been fixed !
eBay ID: vintage-trading-cards

Offline Kook

Re: Ebay Mandatory Return Policy Flawed
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2016, 07:15:51 AM »
I'll add my 2 cents on this issue as a buyer with 2 disclosures:

1. This isn't directed at any specific seller, it is inherent in a PSA transaction on ebay regardless of buyer or seller "intention"

2. I don't know what eBay's mandatory return policy is or how it applies. I sell on ebay occasionally (mostly wackys), and don't want the hassle of dealing with returns, so all my listings have that caveat, and anyone that it doesn't work for is free to pass on my auction.

In purchasing PSA wackys on ebay, there are factors that make it difficult to judge the eye appeal of a wacky from most pictures. Most specifically, toning. There are cases where I have purchased a PSA wacky that looked great on ebay, but I had to flip it out because  it was so ugly, mostly from toning, that I wouldn't want it in my collection. That can happen with tanning on the back too. PSA will also let some diamond cut cards pass through, some edge bends or kinks & other various things that can bother certain collectors even though PSA lets them slide.

The majority of PSA collectors only collect the grade, but there are some of us still out there that use the grade as the initial checkpoint to consider the card & then the eye appeal will dictate the thumbs up or thumbs down. I found the situation similar with PCGS & coin collecting, though I'm currently out of that hobby now.

With that said, I'm interpreting that as a top rated seller, you accept returns on other items, though that may not necessarily be true. Because of the PSA holder, it's easy to validate that you are getting back the card you sent, and no one can tamper with it, so there must be an issue with the item for someone to make a purchase, go through the trouble of paying and returning that they aren't happy with the sticker. I would guess that it's a "happy" purchase for most people that they want to make, not like changing a muffler or fixing a leaky pipe, so there is probably something wrong if you are getting a return.

Is it a common problem for you that people buy PSA graded cards & want to return them? What reason do they give when it happens?
« Last Edit: September 08, 2016, 07:18:38 AM by Kook »

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2016, 08:05:52 AM »
If a seller describes a card as "PSA 9" and delivers the (undamaged) PSA 9 card in the scan, it's obviously ridiculous to call the item "significantly not as described." However, the reality is, if the buyer files a SNAD, ebay will always side with the buyer.

I have returned PSA graded cards in a couple of extreme cases. In one case, I paid over $1000 for a card, and when I received it, there was a big corner ding that was hidden in the scan. In that case, the seller had a returns accepted policy. I personally would not try to return a graded card to a seller with a no returns policy, because I feel that if the card is as described, I'm stuck with it. PSA is generally to blame in those cases.

Offline CherryBombs

« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2016, 12:46:55 PM »
Fortunately I have not had to deal with this issue because I provide front and back scans in hi res. My issue is that I sold a few recently and incorrecly listed with a 14 day return instead of 30.. and ebay said I was not eligible for final value fee discount due to this mistake in my listing  :o
eBay ID: vintage-trading-cards

Offline bandaches

• http://www.wackypackage.com/
    • Visit my Wacky Pack Website
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2016, 02:52:20 PM »
As a seller of PSA graded cards and wanting to keep my Top Rated Status and benefits my issue is that why should I have to offer a return policy when I'm selling a card and the buyer knows exactly what they're getting. When I put this to several Ebay reps I get the same, repetitive answer " We're trying to find a solution for this problem because we are aware of tis issue " that was almost 1 year ago and nothing has been fixed !
Why wouldn't you accept returns especially on PSA items that are encapsulated and less likely be bait, switched and returned?
Contact me at bandaches@yahoo.com as I have tons of wackys for sale!  Visit my website http://www.wackypackage.com/

Offline jeffcaff

« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2016, 04:22:02 AM »
Ebay's return policy is absolutely flawed for auction houses and consignment stores.  Most state laws require auctioneers and businesses with consignment licenses to pay their consignees no more than two weeks after the sale.  If Ebay allows returns, the auction house or consignee now owns the returned lot.  When someone reposts the same lot a few weeks later, this is significantly diminished interest and the item normally sells for much less.    As stated before in this topic trail, paypal and Ebay side with buyer about 99.9% of the time. This is the very reason that many auction houses and consignment shops are funding other online platforms to post their items.  This is hurting Ebay as well but I don't think they really care.   The number and quality of true and original antiques, collectibles and art have diminished over time.  They are trying to become a online marketplace for commodities like Amazon.

Offline NationalSpittoon

« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2016, 06:15:33 AM »
Ebay's return policy is absolutely flawed for auction houses and consignment stores.  Most state laws require auctioneers and businesses with consignment licenses to pay their consignees no more than two weeks after the sale.  If Ebay allows returns, the auction house or consignee now owns the returned lot.  When someone reposts the same lot a few weeks later, this is significantly diminished interest and the item normally sells for much less.    As stated before in this topic trail, paypal and Ebay side with buyer about 99.9% of the time. This is the very reason that many auction houses and consignment shops are funding other online platforms to post their items.  This is hurting Ebay as well but I don't think they really care.   The number and quality of true and original antiques, collectibles and art have diminished over time.  They are trying to become a online marketplace for commodities like Amazon.

It doesn't hurt eBay one bit. They still keep the 6% in fees from the probably thousands of sales a day.

Offline BustedFinger

• Just a simple collector. No books, no websites, no arguments!
  • I wonder where this text will appear?
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2016, 04:15:27 PM »
It doesn't hurt eBay one bit. They still keep the 6% in fees from the probably thousands of sales a day.

Try 10%.  eBay keeps 10% of your final selling price and 10% of what you charge the buyer for shipping.  And on top of that, if you use PayPal for payment (which is really your only option on eBay), they keep another 3% of the amount sent to you.

So it costs 13% to sell something on eBay.
Giving "The Hobby" the finger since 1999!

Online RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2016, 04:40:53 PM »
Try 10%.  eBay keeps 10% of your final selling price and 10% of what you charge the buyer for shipping.  And on top of that, if you use PayPal for payment (which is really your only option on eBay), they keep another 3% of the amount sent to you.

So it costs 13% to sell something on eBay.

Which is why I always prefer to sell to people here directly!!

Offline bandaches

• http://www.wackypackage.com/
    • Visit my Wacky Pack Website
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2016, 07:50:42 PM »
Which is why I always prefer to sell to people here directly!!
Its the main reason most of my ebay auctions are Buy it Now taking offers.  I often accept offers off line working it so we both split the ebay fees by keeping the money.
Contact me at bandaches@yahoo.com as I have tons of wackys for sale!  Visit my website http://www.wackypackage.com/