Author Topic: Bad gags  (Read 27451 times)

Offline NationalSpittoon

Bad gags
« on: August 28, 2016, 02:38:51 PM »
Not sure of too many, but I do know of Cram's..

"No one will have to cram it down your throat to get you to eat it"

I believe it means the lady on the left is "No one," trying to get you to eat it. Not really completely sure, but no one is.. If you know this or other confusing gags, please tell me.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2016, 10:54:04 AM by NationalSpittoon »

Offline MoldRush

Re: Gags that are hard to understand.
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2016, 05:59:56 PM »
Good observation - it actually is poorly worded and contrary to the visual.  Maybe "mom will have to cram it down your throat" would work better.

Offline bigtomi

« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2016, 02:40:50 PM »
Not sure of too many, but I do know of Cram's..

"No one will have to cram it down your throat to get you to eat it"

I believe it means the lady on the left is "No one," trying to get you to eat it. Not really completely sure, but no one is.. If you know this or other confusing gags, please tell me.
I recall Jay discussing this exact thing a while back (like, years ago), but I don't recall those details. My best recollection was that it was likely misread when it was proofed and was backwards, but nobody noticed it...at least, not in time. I could well be misremembering...

Offline Ruffs

« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2016, 02:51:14 PM »
You're getting old Tom but it's OK

Offline bandaches

• http://www.wackypackage.com/
    • Visit my Wacky Pack Website
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2016, 02:59:31 PM »
I recall Jay discussing this exact thing a while back (like, years ago), but I don't recall those details. My best recollection was that it was likely misread when it was proofed and was backwards, but nobody noticed it...at least, not in time. I could well be misremembering...
I think the gag writers were stoned.  There are a lot of gags that make no sense. Good thing the art was top notch and the characters were funny.  Skimpy Beanut putter?  6 up, you hate it, it hates you, Minute Lice, is there a gag here?  Fink, the sassy grapefruit, Dopey Whip, use for all purposes, Really?
Contact me at bandaches@yahoo.com as I have tons of wackys for sale!  Visit my website http://www.wackypackage.com/

Offline bigtomi

« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2016, 07:52:15 PM »
You're getting old Tom
Beats the alternative, I suppose.

Offline Joe G.

« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2016, 11:06:19 PM »
I think the gag writers were stoned.  There are a lot of gags that make no sense. Good thing the art was top notch and the characters were funny.  Skimpy Beanut putter?  6 up, you hate it, it hates you, Minute Lice, is there a gag here?  Fink, the sassy grapefruit, Dopey Whip, use for all purposes, Really?

I agree.  It's the art that makes classic Wackys classic.  As a kid, I never laughed at the writing but the art cracked me up.

Offline mikecho

« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2016, 11:29:40 AM »
I've got one that I can't figure out-how do you pronounce "Escuire" from the 4th series(OS run)? I know its real name is "Esquire" and how to pronounce that,but the Wacky name isn't too clear.

Offline bigtomi

« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2016, 05:26:46 PM »
I've got one that I can't figure out-how do you pronounce "Escuire" from the 4th series(OS run)? I know its real name is "Esquire" and how to pronounce that,but the Wacky name isn't too clear.
I would say the pronunciation is the same...at least, I say it the same way.

Offline mikecho

« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2016, 07:34:51 PM »
Thanks,that's a big help. I figured that's what it was,but I wasn't too sure.

Offline Bigmuc13

« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2016, 10:25:41 AM »

I agree, there are quite a few that are clever, there are lots that just aren't funny or don't make a lot of sense.  Have you ever noticed that the bullseye scores on Windchester are backwards?  The out ring is 50, the middle ring is 30, and the center is only 10.  So you get more points for a lousy shot.  Did they do that on purpose?
Still looking for Series 17

Offline Jean Nutty

« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2016, 02:32:27 PM »
Have you ever noticed that the bullseye scores on Windchester are backwards?  The out ring is 50, the middle ring is 30, and the center is only 10.  So you get more points for a lousy shot.  Did they do that on purpose?

I've never noticed that. How hilarious.

Offline quas

« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2016, 05:36:38 PM »
Marc

Offline bandaches

« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2016, 07:51:44 PM »
I agree, there are quite a few that are clever, there are lots that just aren't funny or don't make a lot of sense.  Have you ever noticed that the bullseye scores on Windchester are backwards?  The out ring is 50, the middle ring is 30, and the center is only 10.  So you get more points for a lousy shot.  Did they do that on purpose?
LOL, never noticed!
Contact me at bandaches@yahoo.com as I have tons of wackys for sale!  Visit my website http://www.wackypackage.com/

Offline bandaches

« Reply #14 on: September 09, 2016, 07:53:34 PM »
Maybe we should do "one a days" here in checklist order and series order and critique the gag of each title.   Will take a year and half but might be fun.

Offline NationalSpittoon

« Reply #15 on: September 10, 2016, 04:54:49 AM »
Maybe we should do "one a days" here in checklist order and series order and critique the gag of each title.   Will take a year and half but might be fun.

Good idea.

Offline NationalSpittoon

« Reply #16 on: September 10, 2016, 04:56:39 AM »
Die cuts #1- Boredom's

Boredom's
Instant Coffee
One cup puts you to sleep forever

One cup puts you to sleep forever? It kills you?
« Last Edit: September 11, 2016, 06:37:06 AM by NationalSpittoon »

Offline Bigmuc13

« Reply #17 on: September 10, 2016, 05:04:17 AM »

I like it.  It will definitely get you to notice stuff yo never noticed before.  I saw someone already started, and they started with the die cuts.  So we will be at the for a long time  ;)

Offline Bigmuc13

« Reply #18 on: September 10, 2016, 05:05:11 AM »
Die cuts #1- Bordem's

Bordem's
Instant Coffee

Not a lot to this one.  I like the sleepy cow.  But yeah, I guess you die of Boredom!

Offline quas

« Reply #19 on: September 10, 2016, 06:11:04 AM »
Not a lot to this one.  I like the sleepy cow.  But yeah, I guess you die of Boredom!

I think when all is said and done we'll find most of the wording lame and end up back at what we already know, namely, that it is the great Norm Saunders artwork that captivates us all.  Just a hunch.

But I still like the idea of doing the one-by-one as well.....should be entertaining.  This could be a very long thread, especially if we continue on into ANS and OLDS!
Marc

Offline NationalSpittoon

« Reply #20 on: September 10, 2016, 07:17:35 AM »
I think when all is said and done we'll find most of the wording lame and end up back at what we already know, namely, that it is the great Norm Saunders artwork that captivates us all.  Just a hunch.

But I still like the idea of doing the one-by-one as well.....should be entertaining.  This could be a very long thread, especially if we continue on into ANS and OLDS!

There's still a lot more to ANS, however. You never know though, I guess some might be a little odd to figure out.

Offline jaylynch

• World Record Sketch Artist
« Reply #21 on: September 10, 2016, 07:34:19 AM »
Cram originally said "You have to cram it down their throat to get 'em to eat it," or something like that.  But when the Topps lawyers saw it, they changed the wording so that it wouldn't disparage the product.  This happened a lot... But what are you gonna' do?  That was and is just the way things are in the gumcard biz.  It kills the humor...but avoids the lawsuits.

Offline jaylynch

• World Record Sketch Artist
« Reply #22 on: September 10, 2016, 07:35:49 AM »
You just have to backwards engineer some of these gags to ascertain what the gags originally were.

Offline koduck

• Administrator
  • Make it snappy!
« Reply #23 on: September 10, 2016, 08:06:48 AM »
Cram originally said "You have to cram it down their throat to get 'em to eat it," or something like that.  But when the Topps lawyers saw it, they changed the wording so that it wouldn't disparage the product.  This happened a lot... But what are you gonna' do?  That was and is just the way things are in the gumcard biz.  It kills the humor...but avoids the lawsuits.

Funny you should mention this. Back in 2007, I asked if we could change the wording on the motion card to make more sense and was told that we need to leave it as is. I figured it was a legal issue.

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #24 on: September 10, 2016, 08:44:02 AM »
Funny you should mention this. Back in 2007, I asked if we could change the wording on the motion card to make more sense and was told that we need to leave it as is. I figured it was a legal issue.

Are there any lawyers that love Wackys?  Sometimes I wonder if they just see lawsuits..............

Offline NationalSpittoon

Re: Bad gags
« Reply #25 on: September 11, 2016, 03:22:57 AM »
Diecuts #2: Fearstone

Fearstone
You'll tire of our tires

So this one will put you to sleep too? At least it sounds more like just being bored. Maybe Boredom's gag and this gag should be switched...

Offline Fanatical_and_Sickly

• Administrator
« Reply #26 on: September 11, 2016, 06:41:20 AM »
Fearstone - You'll tire of our tires

get tired of them always blowing out and fearing for your life while driving?
just not a good one at all.

Offline bandaches

« Reply #27 on: September 11, 2016, 11:04:15 AM »
get tired of them always blowing out and fearing for your life while driving?
just not a good one at all.
I agree, another gag that is awful.  There needs to be a reference to scaring or fear in the tag line.

Offline bandaches

« Reply #28 on: September 11, 2016, 11:05:19 AM »
Die cuts #1- Boredom's

Boredom's
Instant Coffee

how about "dullest cup ever"?

Offline quas

« Reply #29 on: September 11, 2016, 11:08:58 AM »
how about "dullest cup ever"?

Or "Even the caffeine won't keep you awake".

I like the idea of suggesting an alternative, rather than simply critiquing what Topps went with.
Marc

Offline quas

« Reply #30 on: September 11, 2016, 11:10:31 AM »
I agree, another gag that is awful.  There needs to be a reference to scaring or fear in the tag line.

"The rubber doesn't meet the road"?
Marc

Offline Jean Nutty

« Reply #31 on: September 11, 2016, 11:20:45 AM »
Are there any lawyers that love Wackys?  Sometimes I wonder if they just see lawsuits..............

Here's a gag that's easy to understand!

Offline NationalSpittoon

« Reply #32 on: September 11, 2016, 11:29:39 AM »

I like the idea of suggesting an alternative, rather than simply critiquing what Topps went with.

This and Bandaches' are very good. Definitely better than the old gag. Maybe Fearstone could be something along the lines of "Rabid Rubber" or something?

Offline bandaches

« Reply #33 on: September 11, 2016, 12:13:40 PM »
Here's a gag that's easy to understand!

(Image removed from quote.)
"piece" stuck up my nose???? Why not pea?

Offline bandaches

« Reply #34 on: September 11, 2016, 12:14:22 PM »

Toadally agree!  I don't believe in critics who aren't also authors.

anything