Author Topic: Bad gags  (Read 27444 times)

Offline NationalSpittoon

Re: Gags that are hard to understand.
« Reply #35 on: September 11, 2016, 03:29:02 PM »
"piece" stuck up my nose???? Why not pea?

It does look like a pea.

Offline NationalSpittoon

Re: Bad gags
« Reply #36 on: September 12, 2016, 02:15:45 AM »
Diecuts #3- Vicejoy

Vicejoy
20 Butts
Vicejoy's got the taste that rots
Fungus tip cigarettes

Vice = Immoral or wicked behavior
Joy = A great feeling of happiness

So Vicejoy means wicked happiness? Then why do the cigarettes have to do with fungus and rotting? Maybe "They make you insanely happy" or a better variant of that phrase would be more fitting. Never really thought the name fitted.

Offline Jean Nutty

« Reply #37 on: September 12, 2016, 10:31:42 AM »
"piece" stuck up my nose???? Why not pea?

I pondered the same thing, and concluded I wasn't smart enough to understand that gag.

I thought maybe it was a green M&M, but that doesn't make any sense.

What could get stuck up your nose that you would sue for?    I have no clue.

Maybe we should do "one a days" here in checklist order and series order and critique the gag of each title.   Will take a year and half but might be fun

I think something like this would be fun. If there's interest / if we want to explore the idea, we could start a thread to discuss it.

(I'd consider helping to post images if we wanted to include them in the discussion.)

Offline NationalSpittoon

« Reply #38 on: September 12, 2016, 01:08:39 PM »
I think something like this would be fun. If there's interest / if we want to explore the idea, we could start a thread to discuss it.

You want to start a new topic? If so, it should be done early, but we'd have to restart it completely. It is necessary, I guess though.

Offline quas

« Reply #39 on: September 12, 2016, 02:33:40 PM »
Toadally agree!  I don't believe in critics who aren't also authors.

And so if we start a new thread, it will be to both critique and suggest what we think might have been better.

Then Topps can start a whole new Wacky series featuring "Wacky Classic" with the old wording and "Wacky Rebirth" for the new wording concurrent with the 50th anniversary............
Marc

Offline Fanatical_and_Sickly

• Administrator
« Reply #40 on: September 12, 2016, 03:56:35 PM »
I pondered the same thing, and concluded I wasn't smart enough to understand that gag.

I thought maybe it was a green M&M, but that doesn't make any sense.

What could get stuck up your nose that you would sue for?    I have no clue.
My thought is that it's meant to be a green Trivial Pursuit game piece, one of the those cheese wedge shaped doohickeys.

Offline bigtomi

« Reply #41 on: September 12, 2016, 03:59:38 PM »
one of those cheese wedge shaped doohickeys.
You scientist types are so technical...   :P

Offline Jean Nutty

« Reply #42 on: September 16, 2016, 11:00:10 AM »
You want to start a new topic? If so, it should be done early, but we'd have to restart it completely. It is necessary, I guess though.

Not necessarily - I was simply replying to bandaches idea of going thru every series and discussing each title, one a day for a year and a half.

That would be a big endeavor and we'd want to explore if people were interested. It would be rude to clutter up your thread w/discussion  >(

(This type of thing has been done in the distant past, with discussion about positive and negative opinions about the artwork and the gags)   

Offline bandaches

• http://www.wackypackage.com/
    • Visit my Wacky Pack Website
« Reply #43 on: September 16, 2016, 07:46:24 PM »
Not necessarily - I was simply replying to bandaches idea of going thru every series and discussing each title, one a day for a year and a half.

That would be a big endeavor and we'd want to explore if people were interested. It would be rude to clutter up your thread w/discussion  >(

(This type of thing has been done in the distant past, with discussion about positive and negative opinions about the artwork and the gags)   
It's all a moot point, the other thread has been started and seems to be going pretty well.
Contact me at bandaches@yahoo.com as I have tons of wackys for sale!  Visit my website http://www.wackypackage.com/

Offline Gurgle

• recommends zircon-encrusted tweezers
« Reply #44 on: September 17, 2016, 09:42:26 AM »
The reason 6 Up has "You Hate It, It Hates You" is because the 7 Up slogan was "You Like It, It Likes You."

Plus, I always loved the absurdity of "Beanut Putter" and I'd be disappointed if the early WP gag writers were NOT stoned.

I think the gag writers were stoned.  There are a lot of gags that make no sense. Good thing the art was top notch and the characters were funny.  Skimpy Beanut putter?  6 up, you hate it, it hates you, Minute Lice, is there a gag here?  Fink, the sassy grapefruit, Dopey Whip, use for all purposes, Really?

Offline Gurgle

« Reply #45 on: September 17, 2016, 09:48:32 AM »
I wrote that gag and you are correct, sir. "Piece" refers to a game piece. Maybe I should have included the word "game" before "piece."

My thought is that it's meant to be a green Trivial Pursuit game piece, one of the those cheese wedge shaped doohickeys.

Offline Gurgle

« Reply #46 on: September 17, 2016, 09:57:36 AM »
I always interpreted it as getting joy from vice. The rest was just to make the cigarette gross, I guess.

I have a fondness for some of the gags that sprawl a little bit like this one. I think as time went on in ANS, gags got more specific and almost anal in a way every line had to fit exactly. Sometimes it would work great, other times not. Some of the gags would be cumbersome and seemed forced.

To me, slightly abstract gags like this come across almost like riffing and having fun. And maybe rushing to meet deadline!

Diecuts #3- Vicejoy

Vicejoy
20 Butts
Vicejoy's got the taste that rots
Fungus tip cigarettes

Vice = Immoral or wicked behavior
Joy = A great feeling of happiness

So Vicejoy means wicked happiness? Then why do the cigarettes have to do with fungus and rotting? Maybe "They make you insanely happy" or a better variant of that phrase would be more fitting. Never really thought the name fitted.

Offline bandaches

« Reply #47 on: September 18, 2016, 06:15:18 AM »
The reason 6 Up has "You Hate It, It Hates You" is because the 7 Up slogan was "You Like It, It Likes You."

Plus, I always loved the absurdity of "Beanut Putter" and I'd be disappointed if the early WP gag writers were NOT stoned.

I think kids liked saying you hate it, it hates you just like saying Ajerx so I am good with that even if the gag is weak as appealing to kids is the priority.  Beanut Putter, just seems to random and too absurd, sorry.
Contact me at bandaches@yahoo.com as I have tons of wackys for sale!  Visit my website http://www.wackypackage.com/

Offline bandaches

« Reply #48 on: September 18, 2016, 06:21:32 AM »
I wrote that gag and you are correct, sir. "Piece" refers to a game piece. Maybe I should have included the word "game" before "piece."
I think "game"wouldn't have been necessary if the 3d rendering on the piece was done better, I assume that is the flat bottom of the game piece showing, the rendering makes it look spherical.

Offline bandaches

« Reply #49 on: September 18, 2016, 06:59:50 AM »
I always interpreted it as getting joy from vice. The rest was just to make the cigarette gross, I guess.

I have a fondness for some of the gags that sprawl a little bit like this one. I think as time went on in ANS, gags got more specific and almost anal in a way every line had to fit exactly. Sometimes it would work great, other times not. Some of the gags would be cumbersome and seemed forced.

To me, slightly abstract gags like this come across almost like riffing and having fun. And maybe rushing to meet deadline!
I think all lines should align with the gag but I think the issue with ANS is they are way too wordy.  I don't feel every line and every word of an original product needs to be incorporated into a wacky. 

Offline Gurgle

« Reply #50 on: September 18, 2016, 09:31:57 AM »
It's not for everyone, but "Beanut Putter" cracked me up as a kid. It sounds like something you would say accidentally and then laugh, but makes no sense whatsoever.

6 Up never did much for me, even though it has a gag that "fits."

I think kids liked saying you hate it, it hates you just like saying Ajerx so I am good with that even if the gag is weak as appealing to kids is the priority.  Beanut Putter, just seems to random and too absurd, sorry.

Offline Gurgle

« Reply #51 on: September 18, 2016, 09:38:19 AM »
I agree about the wordiness.

Here's the rough of Trivial Lawsuit and the final. You can see how many jokes were added.

I think all lines should align with the gag but I think the issue with ANS is they are way too wordy.  I don't feel every line and every word of an original product needs to be incorporated into a wacky.

Offline bandaches

« Reply #52 on: September 18, 2016, 09:43:24 AM »
I agree about the wordiness.

Here's the rough of Trivial Lawsuit and the final. You can see how many jokes were added.

Ugh, the 50% line and suing for over 25 years don't belong at all.  Why did the 2-6 get changed to 2-78?

Offline Gurgle

« Reply #53 on: September 18, 2016, 05:59:21 PM »
The edition did have a line about "Celebrating 25 years" so that addition made sense.

I don't know about the 78.

Ugh, the 50% line and suing for over 25 years don't belong at all.  Why did the 2-6 get changed to 2-78?

anything