Author Topic: Found my stickers book from childhood  (Read 14045 times)

Offline Alexeirex

Found my stickers book from childhood
« on: August 22, 2016, 01:28:33 AM »
My sister  and I started a sticker book probably around 1969 - 1970. We mostly stuck hallmark stickers (which were pretty expensive to us at the time)  into this little memo pad that we got at Woolworths. But guess what I found on pages 20 and up - Alex

These were stickers that came with packages of Doll brand noodles which were like top ramen.

Offline NationalSpittoon

Re: Found my stickers book from childhood
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2016, 04:43:44 AM »
Cool!

Offline koduck

• Administrator
  • Make it snappy!
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2016, 06:36:25 AM »
Thanks for sharing Alex! It's great to find those forgotten memories, especially when it comes to Wacky Packages! A while back, my mom sent me some old notebooks from my grade school days and I was surprised to find some wackys packages on some of the pages. I guess they were more important than whatever they were teaching that day!

Offline quas

« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2016, 08:25:33 AM »
I would have cringed if there was a Ratz or Cracked Animals stuck to one of those notebook pages................but who would have known?  :o
Marc

Offline JasonLiebig

• CollectingCandy.com
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2016, 08:56:02 AM »
That is super-rad!  Love finding (and getting to see) relics from our personal pasts...
Jason Liebig - A swell TV host (currently on History Channel) who used to oversee Marvel Comics' X-Men - now creator and curator of WishbookWeb.com and CollectingCandy.com, a celebration of candy packaging, marketing and the people behind it all

Offline Alexeirex

« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2016, 08:56:46 AM »
Thanks for sharing Alex! It's great to find those forgotten memories, especially when it comes to Wacky Packages! A while back, my mom sent me some old notebooks from my grade school days and I was surprised to find some wackys packages on some of the pages. I guess they were more important than whatever they were teaching that day!

LOL!!! I have some on a binder too, and will try to take a pic of it - must have been 8th grade by then....A

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2016, 09:22:13 AM »
LOL!!! I have some on a binder too, and will try to take a pic of it - must have been 8th grade by then....A

I remember having Scare Deal on my marble notebooks.

Offline Joe G.

« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2016, 09:57:32 AM »
Alex, very fun stuff and great that you started it with your sister.  Did she collect Wackys back in the day?

Offline Alexeirex

« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2016, 10:00:40 AM »
I would have cringed if there was a Ratz or Cracked Animals stuck to one of those notebook pages................but who would have known?  :o

My younger brother and I DO remember seeing Cracked Animals back in 1967 - but it may have been just a fuzzy memory. If both Ratz and Cracked were pulled early,
there's a good chance that they never made it to the west coast. A

Offline quas

« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2016, 10:03:28 AM »
My younger brother and I DO remember seeing Cracked Animals back in 1967 - but it may have been just a fuzzy memory. If both Ratz and Cracked were pulled early,
there's a good chance that they never made it to the west coast. A

I grew up in southern California and bought pack after pack of 1967 die-cuts (from the ice cream man, believe it or not), trying to fill in the missing numbers that I could somehow never manage to fill in. It was utterly frustrating.
Marc

Offline Alexeirex

« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2016, 10:05:07 AM »
I grew up in southern California and bought pack after pack of 1967 die-cuts (from the ice cream man, believe it or not), trying to fill in the missing numbers that I could somehow never manage to fill in. It was utterly frustrating.

Did you hang onto any? We were so young at the time we didn't think about completing a set without a checklist! A

Offline Alexeirex

« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2016, 10:07:02 AM »
Alex, very fun stuff and great that you started it with your sister.  Did she collect Wackys back in the day?

All of my siblings collected wacky's - original diecuts, Wacky Ads and then OS stickers until about OS6. None of the diecuts survived, including the box. And we did stick em on things! Found some Wacky ads when going through my old desk and they were in near mint condition, but just a handful and nothing valuable....A
« Last Edit: August 22, 2016, 10:26:55 AM by Alexeirex »

Offline quas

« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2016, 10:12:30 AM »
Did you hang onto any? We were so young at the time we didn't think about completing a set without a checklist! A

I kept them until the early 90's, at which time I sold them all at a Parsippany non-sports show and used the money to help buy a complete set of Wackies (except Ratz and Cracked) from die cuts through Series 16.
Marc

Offline bandaches

• http://www.wackypackage.com/
    • Visit my Wacky Pack Website
« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2016, 07:08:56 PM »
Super cool, I found my school binders from 3rd/4th grade covered with wacky package stickers, mainly series 4. I'll have to see if I can dig them up again.
Contact me at bandaches@yahoo.com as I have tons of wackys for sale!  Visit my website http://www.wackypackage.com/

Offline Alexeirex

« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2016, 10:30:05 AM »
More...and makes you want to cry alittle.....A

Offline quas

« Reply #15 on: August 23, 2016, 10:41:52 AM »
Ouch!  Paul Maul, Lavirus, Mutts, and Band Ache!
Marc

Offline NationalSpittoon

« Reply #16 on: August 23, 2016, 11:03:37 AM »
 :'(

Offline Alexeirex

« Reply #17 on: August 23, 2016, 02:50:49 PM »

I probably had a lot of them back then - they were 10c a pack? A

Offline bigtomi

« Reply #18 on: August 23, 2016, 02:53:51 PM »
I probably had a lot of them back then - they were 10c a pack? A
5c until Series 16, I believe...excluding Ads, when there were both prices.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2016, 02:55:36 PM by bigtomi »

Offline Alexeirex

« Reply #19 on: August 23, 2016, 02:57:04 PM »
5c until Series 16, I believe...excluding Ads, when there were both prices.

Wow - that was dirt cheap, even for 1972! And ya got gum too....A

Offline drono

« Reply #20 on: August 27, 2016, 07:11:51 PM »

I had 1st tans washed in my pants pocket as a kid.  I really can't remember what stickers I had though.  At least he still has his.

Offline Alexeirex

« Reply #21 on: September 15, 2016, 10:22:59 PM »
Found my Jr. High binder at my dad's! Alex

Offline Jean Nutty

« Reply #22 on: September 16, 2016, 10:46:21 AM »
These photos are great Alex!

For me, there's something about seeing the stickers on notebooks /other items from childhood that triggers even more of an emotional memory than the stickers by themselves.

Marc, I've wondered a few times who it was here that grew up in Southern Cal and bought packs from the ice cream man, as I had forgotten. To recap, I grew up in Northridge (San Fernando Valley) in the early 70's and bought packs from the ice cream man. I think you might have said you used to call the guy "Van". Sorry to repeat myself and the story. As we get older, it's OK to repeat stories every once in a while, yeah? Since we often forget them  :^)

Offline lucidjc

« Reply #23 on: September 16, 2016, 02:37:53 PM »

For me, there's something about seeing the stickers on notebooks /other items from childhood that triggers even more of an emotional memory than the stickers by themselves.

Marc, I've wondered a few times who it was here that grew up in Southern Cal and bought packs from the ice cream man, as I had forgotten. To recap, I grew up in Northridge (San Fernando Valley) in the early 70's and bought packs from the ice cream man. I think you might have said you used to call the guy "Van". Sorry to repeat myself and the story. As we get older, it's OK to repeat stories every once in a while, yeah? Since we often forget them  :^)

Its not a story until its repeated.

Jim

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #24 on: September 16, 2016, 02:54:58 PM »

I think you might be remembering my story.  I started buying Wackys in 1973 in a suburb of Pittsburgh, mostly at convenience stores and some larger drug stores, but then we moved to Northridge, and I bought Wackys from the ice cream truck driver we called "Van."  I remember saving my allowance up to buy a full box of Series 15 from him, and not getting a Dynamites!!!  Not long after, we started moving around.  I've been here on Long Island since 1977, and I was thrilled to be able to get the 1979-80 reissues, especially series 4 with all the titles that were brand new to me.  And, I used a reissue Dynamites to substitute in my binder until many years later.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2016, 02:59:19 PM by RawGoo »

Offline bandaches

• http://www.wackypackage.com/
    • Visit my Wacky Pack Website
« Reply #25 on: September 16, 2016, 07:39:09 PM »
Found my Jr. High binder at my dad's! Alex

If these notebooks had been green, I wouldn't be able to tell the difference from mine, same titles, same faded look, great pics!
Contact me at bandaches@yahoo.com as I have tons of wackys for sale!  Visit my website http://www.wackypackage.com/

Offline Alexeirex

« Reply #26 on: September 16, 2016, 11:26:21 PM »
If these notebooks had been green, I wouldn't be able to tell the difference from mine, same titles, same faded look, great pics!

LOL!!! A

anything