Author Topic: OS Frequent OC Cards  (Read 27012 times)

Offline NationalSpittoon

OS Frequent OC Cards
« on: August 17, 2016, 12:05:19 PM »
I'm not sure about all of them, so I can use some help... But I'll say the ones that I have problems with.

Series 1
Duzn't

Series 3
Moonshine
Argh

Series 4
Choke Wagon
Mustard Charge

Series 5
Muleburro
Swiss Mess
Shot Wheels
Cram
Clank
Slaytex
Chumps
Graft
Triks

Series 6
Mold Rush
Play Dumb
Clammy (Possibly OC)

Series 9
Heartburn

Series 10
Uncle Bums

Series 14
Rotsa Root
Rebell
Battletime

Series 16
Dirtycell

Please tell me if these are common. Thanks!

Offline Hustler08

• I Hustle for Wacky Packs!!!
Re: OS Frequent OC Cards
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2016, 12:09:21 PM »
I'm not sure about all of them, so I can use some help... But I'll say the ones that I have problems with.

Series 1
Duzn't

Series 3
Moonshine
Argh

Series 4
Choke Wagon
Mustard Charge

Series 5
Muleburro
Swiss Mess
Shot Wheels
Cram
Clank
Slaytex
Chumps
Graft
Triks

Series 6
Mold Rush
Play Dumb
Clammy (Possibly OC)

Series 9
Heartburn

Series 10
Uncle Bums

Series 14
Rotsa Root
Rebell
Battletime

Series 16
Dirtycell

Please tell me if these are common. Thanks!

Yes. also Series 3 Sweathard!!!

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2016, 12:50:13 PM »
Choke Wagon, Shot Wheels, Mold Rush, yes. Clammy is literally impossible to get well-centered as part of another sticker is on the card when it is centered.

Here is my list:

Series 2: 8-Lives, Gurgle, Botch, Awful Bits, Capn Crud, Ditch Masters, Putrid, Brittle

Series 3: Raw Leaves, Sweathard, also Choke King is always tilted

Series 4: Choke Wagon, Blue Beanie, Hipton

Series 5: Shot Wheels

Series 6: Mold Rush, Clammy

Series 7: Feetena

Series 9: Pigpen Oil, Foolite, Jerky Fruits, GI Toe

Series 11: Bash, Alpain

Series 16: Floral, Sufferin, Clubbed Canadian, Copperbone, Sucker Twin

Offline NationalSpittoon

« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2016, 03:39:32 PM »
Choke Wagon, Shot Wheels, Mold Rush, yes. Clammy is literally impossible to get well-centered as part of another sticker is on the card when it is centered.

Here is my list:

Series 2: 8-Lives, Gurgle, Botch, Awful Bits, Capn Crud, Ditch Masters, Putrid, Brittle

Series 3: Raw Leaves, Sweathard, also Choke King is always tilted

Series 4: Choke Wagon, Blue Beanie, Hipton

Series 5: Shot Wheels

Series 6: Mold Rush, Clammy

Series 7: Feetena

Series 9: Pigpen Oil, Foolite, Jerky Fruits, GI Toe

Series 11: Bash, Alpain

Series 16: Floral, Sufferin, Clubbed Canadian, Copperbone, Sucker Twin

Yeah I've heard about some of the hard ones like 8 Lives, Awful Bits, and Putrid but mine are centered.  :^)

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2016, 04:21:45 PM »
Let's see a scan of your 8-Lives!

Offline NationalSpittoon

« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2016, 03:49:00 AM »

Why is it sideways? And the picture is really bad..

Awful Bits and Putrid = White back
8 Lives = Tan back
« Last Edit: July 10, 2020, 06:54:01 AM by NationalSpittoon »

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2016, 06:51:36 AM »
The Putrid and Awful Bits are very nicely centered. The 8-Lives is still somewhat OC as expected. So many of them are that it's almost unbelievable that any were well centered enough to get a PSA 9 and were also otherwise high grade. Truly hard to find.

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2016, 08:04:25 PM »
Interestingly, both Awful Bits & Putrid are tougher as tan backs.

Offline NationalSpittoon

« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2016, 03:23:04 AM »

Aren't they all tougher as tan backs in series 2?

Offline Tom Keen

« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2016, 09:36:20 AM »
Tougher to find than white backs or tougher to find as centered cards?

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2016, 09:50:19 AM »
Tougher to find than white backs or tougher to find as centered cards?

Tougher to find centered than the white back versions.

Offline bigtomi

« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2016, 11:36:08 AM »
Let's see a scan of your 8-Lives!
This is my keeper [so far]. It took me a while to find one this good and, like Dave says, it still has its flaws:

Also, while I was at it, here's all the extra 8-Lives I have. Obviously, not a big sample, but you can see that centering is NOT one of this card's virtues:

Offline Fanatical_and_Sickly

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2016, 06:16:18 AM »
Also, while I was at it, here's all the extra 8-Lives I have. Obviously, not a big sample, but you can see that centering is NOT one of this card's virtues:

Really seems like the 9-Lives image was erroneously placed low within its position on the sheet, and that a standard sheet cut will always have the tuna can seemingly off center left.
Meaning only sheets that were mis-cut will give what optically seems like a centered card, when in fact, those are the cards that are OC.

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2016, 08:38:37 AM »
Really seems like the 9-Lives image was erroneously placed low within its position on the sheet, and that a standard sheet cut will always have the tuna can seemingly off center left.
Meaning only sheets that were mis-cut will give what optically seems like a centered card, when in fact, those are the cards that are OC.

Exactly. Which is why it's hard to believe one like this not only was miscut in just the right way, but also stayed in perfect shape for 43 years. Incredible serendipity!

Offline bandaches

• http://www.wackypackage.com/
    • Visit my Wacky Pack Website
« Reply #14 on: August 21, 2016, 08:49:12 AM »
Exactly!  This is part of why grading is such a crock. I know people have the ability to remove creases from cards which is totally undetectable from PSA.  Is the real goal of grading purely cosmetic or is the goal to get "proof" versions of cards ie straight from the pack like a coin straight from the mint, anything that is not straight from the pack is now downgraded to uncirculated.  Should wackys follow suit to some degree so a 9 lives straight from the pack is higher grade than anything that was circulated?
Contact me at bandaches@yahoo.com as I have tons of wackys for sale!  Visit my website http://www.wackypackage.com/

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #15 on: August 21, 2016, 10:22:14 AM »
Exactly!  This is part of why grading is such a crock. I know people have the ability to remove creases from cards which is totally undetectable from PSA.  Is the real goal of grading purely cosmetic or is the goal to get "proof" versions of cards ie straight from the pack like a coin straight from the mint, anything that is not straight from the pack is now downgraded to uncirculated.  Should wackys follow suit to some degree so a 9 lives straight from the pack is higher grade than anything that was circulated?

I don't believe creases can be removed. Yes, pressing, when done by a knowledgeable individual, can remove non color breaking bends/ripples. This is really more useful for comics than cards.

I am not in favor of any manipulation done to improve a card's appearance other than removing wax stains, which were not originally present on the card. I don't see what any of this has to do with PSA being a crock.

Offline NationalSpittoon

« Reply #16 on: August 21, 2016, 12:40:04 PM »
I guess in a way some cards could be graded as centered when they don't look centered like 8 Lives.

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #17 on: August 21, 2016, 02:11:44 PM »
I guess in a way some cards could be graded as centered when they don't look centered like 8 Lives.

That would never work. The fact that a card is commonly OC doesn't make that desirable or esthetically pleasing, and no one knows how the card should "really" look.

Offline NationalSpittoon

« Reply #18 on: August 21, 2016, 02:59:56 PM »
That would never work. The fact that a card is commonly OC doesn't make that desirable or esthetically pleasing, and no one knows how the card should "really" look.

Well if it was placed on the sheet in an odd fashion, especially on the bottom of the sheet being that so you can't see the border, then it won't be centered for anyone unless it's OC, correct? Getting rid of the bottom of the sheet causes to show less of the card itself making the card look OC. It being OC for all of them would be plausible except for the fact that they would be a smaller card if they didn't want to take a small amount of another card, which would mean the top card of that row would show the stars of the sheet. So, I'm not sure how you mean it would not work. While it's not aesthetically pleasing, every card can be OC.

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #19 on: August 21, 2016, 06:14:22 PM »
Sorry, no idea what you're talking about.

Offline bandaches

« Reply #20 on: August 21, 2016, 06:49:30 PM »
I don't believe creases can be removed. Yes, pressing, when done by a knowledgeable individual, can remove non color breaking bends/ripples. This is really more useful for comics than cards.

I am not in favor of any manipulation done to improve a card's appearance other than removing wax stains, which were not originally present on the card. I don't see what any of this has to do with PSA being a crock.
You are incorrect, creases can and are removed and PSA has no clue.  So given that a perfect 8 lives sticker needs to technically be offcenter from its sheet for PSA to think it perfect, given that PSA has no way to detect fixed stickers and given that some day, there will be a saturation of high graded PSA cards, PSA is a crock.
Contact me at bandaches@yahoo.com as I have tons of wackys for sale!  Visit my website http://www.wackypackage.com/

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #21 on: August 21, 2016, 08:08:11 PM »
You are incorrect, creases can and are removed and PSA has no clue.

You have a hoard of 1st series stickers. Find all the ones that are well centered but with creases, remove the creases and send them in for some PSA 10s. Why are you leaving all that money on the table?

Offline NationalSpittoon

« Reply #22 on: August 22, 2016, 04:44:33 AM »
Sorry, no idea what you're talking about.

Read it, and you will.

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #23 on: August 22, 2016, 05:58:09 AM »
Read it, and you will.

I did read it, and I genuinely don't understand what you're trying to say. This is the part I don't understand at all:

"Getting rid of the bottom of the sheet causes to show less of the card itself making the card look OC. It being OC for all of them would be plausible except for the fact that they would be a smaller card if they didn't want to take a small amount of another card, which would mean the top card of that row would show the stars of the sheet. So, I'm not sure how you mean it would not work. While it's not aesthetically pleasing, every card can be OC."
« Last Edit: August 22, 2016, 06:14:35 AM by Paul_Maul »

Offline NationalSpittoon

« Reply #24 on: August 22, 2016, 06:18:53 AM »
I did read it, and I genuinely don't understand what you're trying to say. This is the part I don't understand at all:

"Getting rid of the bottom of the sheet causes to show less of the card itself making the card look OC. It being OC for all of them would be plausible except for the fact that they would be a smaller card if they didn't want to take a small amount of another card, which would mean the top card of that row would show the stars of the sheet. So, I'm not sure how you mean it would not work. While it's not aesthetically pleasing, every card can be OC."

What I'm trying to get at is that the way the card was placed on the sheet they probably tried to avoid showing the lines on the sheet, therefore they cut the card higher.

Offline NationalSpittoon

« Reply #25 on: August 23, 2016, 05:21:20 AM »
« Last Edit: June 24, 2019, 01:20:38 PM by NationalSpittoon »

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #26 on: August 23, 2016, 06:23:33 AM »
I absolutely hate tilt and diamond cut like that Duznt...and it's one of my biggest peeves with PSA, because they don't penalize it at all as long as the technical centering requirement is met. That Duznt probably wouldn't even fit in the holder, they'd probably call it miscut.

I mean look at this thing. You have to be kidding me!

« Last Edit: August 23, 2016, 06:27:12 AM by Paul_Maul »

Offline Tom Keen

« Reply #27 on: August 23, 2016, 07:58:27 AM »
What I'm trying to get at is that the way the card was placed on the sheet they probably tried to avoid showing the lines on the sheet, therefore they cut the card higher.
I understand your point, wouldn't that also hold true to titles on the side of the sheet as there are color marks and lines that go all the way around the sheets, correct?  Are most stickers found on the bottom of sheets tough to find centered?

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #28 on: August 23, 2016, 08:34:12 AM »
I understand your point, wouldn't that also hold true to titles on the side of the sheet as there are color marks and lines that go all the way around the sheets, correct?  Are most stickers found on the bottom of sheets tough to find centered?

The cards that are toughest to find centered are usually on the edges of the sheet. However, 8-Lives is not, Capn Crud is not. In many case, as Patrick said, the image is just misplaced for no apparent reason.

Also, the way the sheets were cut, I do not believe it would be possible to cut the bottom row of cards "higher" without affecting the rest of the sheet, nor do I believe Topps cared enough at the time to try.

Offline NationalSpittoon

« Reply #29 on: August 23, 2016, 08:45:13 AM »

No, because they weren't placed odd on the sheet.

Offline bandaches

« Reply #30 on: August 24, 2016, 03:29:10 PM »
You have a hoard of 1st series stickers. Find all the ones that are well centered but with creases, remove the creases and send them in for some PSA 10s. Why are you leaving all that money on the table?
Should I be offended that you believe I would alter stickers for profit?  You have confused me with some of the people you still call friends in this hobby who would and are probably doing it.

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #31 on: August 24, 2016, 04:19:15 PM »
Should I be offended that you believe I would alter stickers for profit?  You have confused me with some of the people you still call friends in this hobby who would and are probably doing it.

I was just kidding Ernie. I really don't know what you're talking about, I don't believe a hard crease can be removed from a card, but maybe someday you can show me how it's done.

Offline quas

« Reply #32 on: August 24, 2016, 05:14:07 PM »
I was just kidding Ernie. I really don't know what you're talking about, I don't believe a hard crease can be removed from a card, but maybe someday you can show me how it's done.

Dave, I'd have to agree with you on that one, regarding a hard crease.
Marc

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #33 on: August 24, 2016, 05:42:53 PM »
Dave, I'd have to agree with you on that one, regarding a hard crease.

There are definitely experts who press comic books and can remove soft bends, ripples and such. That practice is rampant, but even that I can't see working with a sticker since it involves heat. Wouldn't it melt the glue?

Offline bandaches

« Reply #34 on: August 24, 2016, 06:18:48 PM »
Of course you are kidding but the hobby does have issues with people resealing packs, creating restick ludlows and such so I take it seriously not to be lumped with those criminals who have gone unpunished.

You need to do more research on this, I am shocked you are so unaware of this practice in baseball cards.  The first forum I searched on google has people talking about how the remove creases.  While I am sure it is harder on wacky stickers, diecuts are primed for creases to be removed. This again is why I consider grading to be a crock.  Is it a "proof card" straight from the pack that is sought or just one that looks perfect but circulated no matter what steps were taken to make it look perfect ie removing a crease.  8 lives has to technically be miscut from the sheet to meet centering guidelines, ridiculous.