Author Topic: Rarest Wacky Sticker Set  (Read 18026 times)

Offline slamjim

• OLDS11 in late 2023!
Rarest Wacky Sticker Set
« on: July 20, 2010, 02:09:41 PM »
I brought this set up years ago but wanted to see if anyone has ever found any of the WP vending machine stickers from the early 80s. The header card is pictured in the Gallery. I have an additional gumball header card with a few of the actual stickers stuck to it so they are real. The stickers came (lightly) rolled up in gumball eggs and are 3" x 2", rectangular with all black backgrounds which look really nice and make they stand out from the other Wacky sets.  When unrolled they are not creased. They are a licensed product and have the Topps copyright on them. I would call this easily the rarest Wacky Packages set. Anyone have any of these or ever see them?

Offline bandaches

• http://www.wackypackage.com/
    • Visit my Wacky Pack Website
Re: Rarest Wacky Sticker Set
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2010, 02:49:46 PM »
I brought this set up years ago but wanted to see if anyone has ever found any of the WP vending machine stickers from the early 80s. The header card is pictured in the Gallery. I have an additional gumball header card with a few of the actual stickers stuck to it so they are real. The stickers came (lightly) rolled up in gumball eggs and are 3" x 2", rectangular with all black backgrounds which look really nice and make they stand out from the other Wacky sets.  When unrolled they are not creased. They are a licensed product and have the Topps copyright on them. I would call this easily the rarest Wacky Packages set. Anyone have any of these or ever see them?
I saw ANS unopened packs in a Vending Machine at shop rite, would that count?

Seriously, I have never seen these and would consider them the rarest mainly because most of the other stuff we considered rare has somewhat been rolled out in Toppsvault auctions.
Contact me at bandaches@yahoo.com as I have tons of wackys for sale!  Visit my website http://www.wackypackage.com/

Offline Dr Popper

• Non-Wackys
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2010, 05:27:29 PM »

I remember looking into those several years ago and I couldn't find anyone that had one.  I think you may be the only one in the hobby who has any stickers at all even though they are stuck!  It would be cool if a small batch of the actual stickers surfaced at some point. 
Dr Popper (aka Rob Palmer)

Offline slamjim

• OLDS11 in late 2023!
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2010, 05:33:22 PM »
I remember looking into those several years ago and I couldn't find anyone that had one.  I think you may be the only one in the hobby who has any stickers at all even though they are stuck!  It would be cool if a small batch of the actual stickers surfaced at some point.  

The guy I got the header with the stickers on it had two different ones but would only sell one to me so I know someone has some more stuck stickers (if they kept it). For the life of me I can't remember who it was but he was a collector.

There is probably a case of those eggs somewhere in the world sitting around waiting to be found and there might be some super old gumball machine sitting in some dilapidated bowling alley or store that still has the eggs in them...get out there and search people!

I'll see if I can dig up the second header with the stickers on them to post.

Offline Dr Popper

• Non-Wackys
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2010, 05:34:59 PM »
The guy I got the header with the stickers on it had two different ones but would only sell one to me so I know someone has some more stuck stickers (if they kept it). For the life of me I can't remember who it was but he was a collector.

There is probably a case of those eggs somewhere in the world sitting around waiting to be found and there might be some super old gumball machine sitting in some dilapidated bowling alley or store that still has the eggs in them...get out there and search people!

Your right, the eggs is the best bet to finding them, which means they will fly under the radar for most Wacky collectors. 

Offline slamjim

• OLDS11 in late 2023!
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2010, 05:37:11 PM »
Your right, the eggs is the best bet to finding them, which means they will fly under the radar for most Wacky collectors. 

The only reason I got that original header was from a gumball charm collector. Sometimes you have to got in a different direction to find this stuff and focus on the (to us) secondary collectible aspect of it.

Offline 6up

« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2010, 08:45:56 PM »
I found a bit more info on these.  They were sold in '83 via the egg in the gumball machine.  Not sure what the actual copyright was.  I do remember seeing these around this period but I also remember them in possibly the late 80's or early 90's as well. The cards were a bit smaller at 3" x 2". The complete card has a sticker back similar to the diecuts except there were no diecuts. Only 11 cards were produced and include the following:

Bustedfinger
Crakoloa
Creature Crackers
Ditch Boy
Dums
Hawaiin Punks
Koduck
Peter Pain
Slopicana
Sunstroke
Wormy Packages

If you have the old Wacky Packages Gallery book they are shown in there.

Offline Dr Popper

• Non-Wackys
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2010, 05:27:17 AM »
I found a bit more info on these.  They were sold in '83 via the egg in the gumball machine.  Not sure what the actual copyright was.  I do remember seeing these around this period but I also remember them in possibly the late 80's or early 90's as well. The cards were a bit smaller at 3" x 2". The complete card has a sticker back similar to the diecuts except there were no diecuts. Only 11 cards were produced and include the following:

Bustedfinger
Crakoloa
Creature Crackers
Ditch Boy
Dums
Hawaiin Punks
Koduck
Peter Pain
Slopicana
Sunstroke
Wormy Packages

If you have the old Wacky Packages Gallery book they are shown in there.

Isn't it strange that none have shown-up in the last 10 years or so?  You would think at least a handful would have hit ebay at some point.

Offline bandaches

« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2010, 01:26:11 PM »
Isn't it strange that none have shown-up in the last 10 years or so?  You would think at least a handful would have hit ebay at some point.
agreed but same mystery with the wacky pack truck, where did all of this stuff go?
Contact me at bandaches@yahoo.com as I have tons of wackys for sale!  Visit my website http://www.wackypackage.com/

Offline 6up

« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2010, 02:51:33 PM »
I would assume that the Wacky stickers that came in the gumball machines were all but destroyed since the majority of this stuff was produced sub standard and at low costs with no real value to be reused.  The ones that did sell were most likely bent or folded to fit inside, so the condition would have left something to be desired. A portion of the ones that were bought were most likely used and did not survive long since sub standard glue was used and the stickers fell off after a short time. Plus others that were bought were lost, thrown out, etc.

Offline Duznt

• - John K -
« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2010, 03:59:45 PM »
They could still show up on ebay someday. If they do, I bet they'll still be in the plastic capsules. I once bought a bunch of Gumby gumball figures from the 60's on ebay, still in the plastic capsules.

Offline bandaches

« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2010, 05:09:21 PM »
They could still show up on ebay someday. If they do, I bet they'll still be in the plastic capsules. I once bought a bunch of Gumby gumball figures from the 60's on ebay, still in the plastic capsules.

Did this thread get started because a panel of these just sold on ebay two days ago or is it a wild coincidence that one showed up on ebay too?  Looks like the seller under a different id listed the panel for $349 and then a week later under a new 0 rating id sold it for $150.

Offline BRUTE_88

« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2010, 06:41:56 PM »
Did this thread get started because a panel of these just sold on ebay two days ago or is it a wild coincidence that one showed up on ebay too?  Looks like the seller under a different id listed the panel for $349 and then a week later under a new 0 rating id sold it for $150.

Do you have a link to the auction??  I did not see that one...  and it is very 'curious' and coincidental that this thread started at a simultaneous time.   A link to the auction would help for discussion purposes.

Offline slamjim

• OLDS11 in late 2023!
« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2010, 07:30:23 PM »
Do you have a link to the auction??  I did not see that one...  and it is very 'curious' and coincidental that this thread started at a simultaneous time.   A link to the auction would help for discussion purposes.

I started the thread and it's coincidental. I thought of it when Dave (Paul_Maul) was posting about his rare sealed packs and was just trying to spark some vintage Wacky talk. I have not seen this auction and have no connection to it and no plans to sell my stuff.

Edit: Dang, just saw the auction. Totally cool. if I had seen it for $150 I would have nailed that as I want to get these things. Frak. Anyone know who got it?
« Last Edit: July 24, 2010, 07:33:11 PM by slamjim »

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #14 on: July 24, 2010, 09:43:07 PM »
Do you have a link to the auction??  I did not see that one...  and it is very 'curious' and coincidental that this thread started at a simultaneous time.   A link to the auction would help for discussion purposes.
Here is an auction link
http://cgi.ebay.com/1970s-RARE-Wacky-Packages-Vending-Stickers-Gumball-Card-/200493100262

I think the winner of that auction is Kirk Daniels. The auctions are a bit fishy so I don't know what to believe.

Offline bandaches

« Reply #15 on: July 24, 2010, 10:36:19 PM »
Here is an auction link
http://cgi.ebay.com/1970s-RARE-Wacky-Packages-Vending-Stickers-Gumball-Card-/200493100262

I think the winner of that auction is Kirk Daniels. The auctions are a bit fishy so I don't know what to believe.
Where do you see a winning bidder on that $349 version of the auction?

Offline Playskull

« Reply #16 on: July 24, 2010, 11:16:43 PM »
i saw this auction the other night and thought of this thread right away.  I was going to pull the trigger but homie dont play that zero feedback stuff.

Offline Playskull

« Reply #17 on: July 24, 2010, 11:25:08 PM »
Here is an auction link

I think the winner of that auction is Kirk Daniels.
im pretty sure it's Daniel.   :)

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #18 on: July 24, 2010, 11:41:34 PM »

Offline Duznt

• - John K -
« Reply #19 on: July 25, 2010, 07:50:58 AM »
Yeah odd about the 2 different ID's.

Funny the auction description states "minty mint" stickers - but fails to mention the bottom 2 have staples punched through them  :-X

Even with the staples, the rarity of these stickers seems incredible.

Offline Duznt

• - John K -
« Reply #20 on: July 25, 2010, 07:55:44 AM »
Dave what titles do you have? It would be cool to gather images of all the known stickers so far.

Offline bandaches

« Reply #21 on: July 25, 2010, 08:33:02 AM »
I don't

http://cgi.ebay.com/1970s-RARE-Wacky-Packages-Vending-Stickers-Gumball-Card-/120599227279
Your first post showed the link to the $349 auction and said you thought Kirk Daniel was the winner.  Yes, he clearly was the winner in the $150 one.  I wonder why the seller suddenly had to create a 0 rated id and switched the town of NY that he resides.  Very odd but nonetheless, very cool item and neat timing of this thread.

Offline Ducko

• (Now on as Porkie)
  • (Now on as Porkie)
« Reply #22 on: July 25, 2010, 10:01:39 PM »
Maybe it's just me, but these stickers scream "knock off".

I don't see Topps written anywhere (unlike the Wacky Trucks), and the stickers look like what you'd get as a result of reproducing them via camera and blacking out the entire border area in order to hide the copyright text.

Are these known to be a Topps licensed product? Otherwise I'd say they are mildly interesting but I sure wouldn't spend $150 on 'em.

I actually found these much more interesting - is this the 1979 "Test Set"?
http://cgi.ebay.com/Wacky-Packages-1979-Complete-WHITE-BACK-Set-1st-Series-/360282976907?cmd=ViewItem&pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item53e289f28b
« Last Edit: July 25, 2010, 10:31:07 PM by Ducko »

Offline slamjim

• OLDS11 in late 2023!
« Reply #23 on: July 25, 2010, 11:14:47 PM »

I don't see Topps written anywhere (unlike the Wacky Trucks), and the stickers look like what you'd get as a result of reproducing them via camera and blacking out the entire border area in order to hide the copyright text.

Are these known to be a Topps licensed product? Otherwise I'd say they are mildly interesting but I sure wouldn't spend $150 on 'em.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Wacky-Packages-1979-Complete-WHITE-BACK-Set-1st-Series-/360282976907?cmd=ViewItem&pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item53e289f28b

They are a Topps product. They are marked TCG. Totally legit.

Offline Ducko

• (Now on as Porkie)
  • (Now on as Porkie)
« Reply #24 on: July 25, 2010, 11:59:11 PM »
They are a Topps product. They are marked TCG. Totally legit.
I am totally missing the TCG on there...

Offline Bigmuc13

« Reply #25 on: July 26, 2010, 05:36:16 AM »

No, this is not the test set.  This is a set of the reissue stickers that are all have white backs.  For year, people found a few here and there.  I found one in a bulk lot a few years ago.  I am pretty sure it was Matt who came across a guy that had a few sets of these and we sold them maybe a year or so ago.  looks like Jeff is selling his set.  They are a rare variation, but I am not sure the level of interest.  We'll see if they sell for $475.
Still looking for Series 17

Offline Bigmuc13

« Reply #26 on: July 26, 2010, 05:37:55 AM »
I am totally missing the TCG on there...

It might be on the back.  It says they stick by licking the back.  Man, that is a lot of licking!
Still looking for Series 17

Offline Dr Popper

• Non-Wackys
« Reply #27 on: July 26, 2010, 05:58:02 AM »
No, this is not the test set.  This is a set of the reissue stickers that are all have white backs.  For year, people found a few here and there.  I found one in a bulk lot a few years ago.  I am pretty sure it was Matt who came across a guy that had a few sets of these and we sold them maybe a year or so ago.  looks like Jeff is selling his set.  They are a rare variation, but I am not sure the level of interest.  We'll see if they sell for $475.

They were from Matt and he had I believe 5 sheets that he had cut-up.  Nice to have but nothing earth shattering, unless you're a reissue nut of course!

Offline Dr Popper

• Non-Wackys
« Reply #28 on: July 26, 2010, 07:37:42 AM »

Offline slamjim

• OLDS11 in late 2023!
« Reply #29 on: July 26, 2010, 08:49:28 AM »
Dave, is this header card similar to the one you already own?

Only in that it's a gumball header. I have 2 headers. One is the official one for the stickers (seen on the Gallery). The other is a mash-up of prizes like this one. The mash-up one I have has Michael Jackson stickers as well. Haven't looked at it in quite awhile. I'll try to dig it up and post a pic.

Offline bandaches

« Reply #30 on: July 26, 2010, 10:18:06 AM »
They were from Matt and he had I believe 5 sheets that he had cut-up.  Nice to have but nothing earth shattering, unless you're a reissue nut of course!
Were all of these sets sold passing along the information that they came from cutting up of sheets by collectors?  When I cut my 13th whiteback sheet, it was supposedly important that I disclose that information so I have. 

Offline Dr Popper

• Non-Wackys
« Reply #31 on: July 26, 2010, 12:29:14 PM »
Were all of these sets sold passing along the information that they came from cutting up of sheets by collectors?  When I cut my 13th whiteback sheet, it was supposedly important that I disclose that information so I have. 

I believe it was.  I guess I can only speak for myself but I was made aware they were recently cut from a sheet.  With how rare the singles were it was kind of obvious too, mint cards with sharp corners, etc.

Offline Dr Popper

• Non-Wackys
« Reply #32 on: July 26, 2010, 12:30:29 PM »
Only in that it's a gumball header. I have 2 headers. One is the official one for the stickers (seen on the Gallery). The other is a mash-up of prizes like this one. The mash-up one I have has Michael Jackson stickers as well. Haven't looked at it in quite awhile. I'll try to dig it up and post a pic.

That would be cool to see pics.  I wonder if the stickers in that recent ebay auction could be removed from the card backing.

Offline Duznt

• - John K -
« Reply #33 on: July 26, 2010, 02:16:50 PM »
I wonder if the stickers in that recent ebay auction could be removed from the card backing.

I would not recommend using one of these...

Offline bigtomi

« Reply #34 on: November 13, 2010, 09:18:36 AM »
Here's another one of these sheets. This ain't Series 1, though.