Author Topic: Setting up your forum profile - Important!!!!  (Read 12727 times)

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
Setting up your forum profile - Important!!!!
« on: March 11, 2010, 07:22:48 AM »
I have had a few people asking why when I post a reply I am thrown out of the topic. You need to make adjustments to your personal profile.
Make sure you have this checked 'Return to topics after posting by default." It's under look and layout preferences. There is a bunch of stuff you can modify. You can even check if you want to do quick replies.

Everyone should go through their profile and you can switch between profile settings on the far left side to pick different area's of your profile.

Offline Zenergizer

Re: Setting up your forum profile - Important!!!!
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2010, 08:21:45 AM »
Added a pic...let's see if it works!

Offline Dr Popper

• Non-Wackys
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2010, 08:59:28 AM »
I have had a few people asking why when I post a reply I am thrown out of the topic. You need to make adjustments to your personal profile.
Make sure you have this checked 'Return to topics after posting by default." It's under look and layout preferences. There is a bunch of stuff you can modify. You can even check if you want to do quick replies.

Everyone should go through their profile and you can switch between profile settings on the far left side to pick different area's of your profile.

I figured that part out but when I reply to a message it automatically dumps me to the end of the thread (being my post of course), instead of dropping me back to the message I replied to, so I have to go back in some cases several pages to pick back up where I was.  Is there a way to change this?
Dr Popper (aka Rob Palmer)

Offline Gurgle

• recommends zircon-encrusted tweezers
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2010, 09:51:17 AM »

Brad, is there any way, as administrator, you can make "Return to topics" the default for everyone?

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2010, 10:46:37 AM »
I just set up everyone to have return to topic as a default. Should be good to go.

Offline bandaches

• http://www.wackypackage.com/
    • Visit my Wacky Pack Website
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2010, 04:00:14 PM »
I figured that part out but when I reply to a message it automatically dumps me to the end of the thread (being my post of course), instead of dropping me back to the message I replied to, so I have to go back in some cases several pages to pick back up where I was.  Is there a way to change this?
Dr Popper and I yet again have the exact same question.  Anyway to set it go back to the post you replied to instead of the end of the thread?  As these threads get long, that is going to be a bit of a pain especially for people who don't keep up with a thread.
Contact me at bandaches@yahoo.com as I have tons of wackys for sale!  Visit my website http://www.wackypackage.com/

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2010, 05:09:46 PM »
Dr Popper and I yet again have the exact same question.  Anyway to set it go back to the post you replied to instead of the end of the thread?  As these threads get long, that is going to be a bit of a pain especially for people who don't keep up with a thread.
This is the message I sent Rob earlier in PM form. I spoke to Rob and discussed this a bit until I found the answer:

'Rob, I just checked on the posting a message in the middle of a long thread and the answer is that once you post a reply you will be sent to the end of the thread. Basically, it's kinda like we discussed. Why would you need to post in the middle of a thread without knowing how the whole conversation goes? People usually read the whole thread and then make an opinion once they have read everything and want to add to it.'

I know every other forum I have been on with the exception of the old wacky forum that you would always be sent to the last post because you are then the last post once you reply. They don't insert your reply in the middle of all the messages. I don't think there is a reason to only read half of the messages and voice an opinion or add to it because someone may have already answered the question. When you reply to a topic you are always the last one posting. I don't think I ever replied in the middle of a topic unless it was something to do with 'way to go' or 'good for you on the score'. There was no reason to really view all the other posts with that kind of answer.

Online RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2010, 05:13:18 PM »
This is the message I sent Rob earlier in PM form. I spoke to Rob and discussed this a bit until I found the answer:

'Rob, I just checked on the posting a message in the middle of a long thread and the answer is that once you post a reply you will be sent to the end of the thread. Basically, it's kinda like we discussed. Why would you need to post in the middle of a thread without knowing how the whole conversation goes? People usually read the whole thread and then make an opinion once they have read everything and want to add to it.'

I know every other forum I have been on with the exception of the old wacky forum that you would always be sent to the last post because you are then the last post once you reply. They don't insert your reply in the middle of all the messages. I don't think there is a reason to only read half of the messages and voice an opinion or add to it because someone may have already answered the question. When you reply to a topic you are always the last one posting. I don't think I ever replied in the middle of a topic unless it was something to do with 'way to go' or 'good for you on the score'. There was no reason to really view all the other posts with that kind of answer.

So, if I understand correctly, we should read to the end, and then, if we want to quote so people know what/who we're answering, we should scroll back up to find the post we want to quote?

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2010, 05:23:55 PM »
So, if I understand correctly, we should read to the end, and then, if we want to quote so people know what/who we're answering, we should scroll back up to find the post we want to quote?
Not really. I think you all are making too much of this. Wait until you use the forum for awhile to really voice an opinion. I think most of us never replied in the middle of a topic to someone. Maybe you did but I can't think of a reason why you would. You may go back a few posts to reply to someone as I have done but you don't go to the middle of a large post to reply to the post. Why would you? By that time that post would be ancient history. If it's a very long post then that generally spans a long time. We don't build up too many big topics in just a few days or a week. I don't think you are really going to find this too big of a deal once you really get used to the new forum.
For example - I know the old school topic went over 1000. If I started reading the topic from the start, knowing there were 900+ replies after me, what would I have to offer to the first 100 posts that hasn't been talked about already? How would I make that discussion better by bringing up old news. Do you see what I am getting at? Think about how many times you responded to a 100 reply topic in the middle of it. Most of our topics never get past 50 posts and that is very manageable.

I use the macrumor.com board and it's the same way and their topics can get to 60 pages in a day. It's crazy!

Offline Plan 9

« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2010, 12:14:31 AM »
I often reply in the middle of reading a thread. I don't think it's worthwhile to name every possible instance one might do that. I'm sure many of us would like that option, if possible, at some point.

Offline Dr Popper

• Non-Wackys
« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2010, 06:51:35 AM »
I often reply in the middle of reading a thread. I don't think it's worthwhile to name every possible instance one might do that. I'm sure many of us would like that option, if possible, at some point.

There are times where I want to finish the thread before posting based on the subject matter, but other times it's not necessary and I'll just post as they come.  It really depends on the content, and I'd say I do it 50% of the time.
Dr Popper (aka Rob Palmer)

Offline bandaches

« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2010, 09:20:11 PM »
Not really. I think you all are making too much of this. Wait until you use the forum for awhile to really voice an opinion. I think most of us never replied in the middle of a topic to someone. Maybe you did but I can't think of a reason why you would. You may go back a few posts to reply to someone as I have done but you don't go to the middle of a large post to reply to the post. Why would you? By that time that post would be ancient history. If it's a very long post then that generally spans a long time. We don't build up too many big topics in just a few days or a week. I don't think you are really going to find this too big of a deal once you really get used to the new forum.
For example - I know the old school topic went over 1000. If I started reading the topic from the start, knowing there were 900+ replies after me, what would I have to offer to the first 100 posts that hasn't been talked about already? How would I make that discussion better by bringing up old news. Do you see what I am getting at? Think about how many times you responded to a 100 reply topic in the middle of it. Most of our topics never get past 50 posts and that is very manageable.

I use the macrumor.com board and it's the same way and their topics can get to 60 pages in a day. It's crazy!
I totally disagree with this.  I always respond to posts as I read them.  It would be entirely painful to have to scroll back to find a post you intended to respond to. 
Contact me at bandaches@yahoo.com as I have tons of wackys for sale!  Visit my website http://www.wackypackage.com/

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2010, 10:22:29 PM »
I totally disagree with this.  I always respond to posts as I read them.  It would be entirely painful to have to scroll back to find a post you intended to respond to. 

Don't get excited. Greg did something no other forum I know of has done and that let's you post in the middle of a thread and then resumes where you left off. I may have to try it out on his forum because I never really did so now I am wondering if we really did post in the middle of a thread. No other forum that I know of remembers where you left off when you send a reply because your reply will be at the end of the thread. It won't put your post in the middle of the thread. I know on Greg's that Ern would reply to about 6 posts and all of his would be in a row at the end. It doesn't really matter because this forum won't let you post in the middle of a topic and then remember where you left off. It will put you at the end of the whole topic at the last post because this is where you posted. You didn't post at the middle of the topic. sign up for some of the big forums using the very expensive forum software such as DVDtalk.com and Macrumors.com and you will see this is how a real forum acts. I know you guys aren't used to it but that is how they are run.
I am going to Greg's forum now and post something in the longest thread they have and see how it reacts. I think what Greg did is keep you on the same page of a multi-page topic. One thing that really bothered me with Greg's forum is if I wanted to get caught up in a long topic I would just go to the last page but when I left and it showed unread posts it would still list 400 posts that I didn't read. I didn't want to read another 400 posts I got what I needed at the end. I wanted to see how it was resolved. I didn't need to read a novel I just wanted to know who the killer was  ;)

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2010, 10:58:13 PM »
OK, I see what Greg did. You can post in the middle of a thread but it returns you to the same page you were on. He only limits his pages to about 10 posts to keep it minimal. I just sent him a friendly post about no hard feelings between forums because, in reality, there aren't. My post is, obviously, the last even though I posted in the middle without reading everyone's replies. I realized I was only replying to Greg and not really addressing anything on the topic. I didn't add anything at all because I didn't know where the discussion left off.
Overall I don't think this really shouldn't be an issue. You will all soon realize this once you get used to using this forum. I asked the same question to users of the developer of this forum software and they all replied to me like I was a dumb ass for asking this question. They basically responded like 'when is the last time you actually used a real forum? If you are used to Greg's forum then you will know that it is home grown and not the norm. You may like that format but overall there is so much everyone is missing if you have never used a real forum on the web. I didn't design this forum. It is one of only a handful of developed forums available and this is the format they all use. It has a great support base with 100's of mods that people have done. They also have a new release coming up that is in beta now so this is really is cutting edge forum technology, if I should be so bold!
I don't want to belittle the argument for posting in the middle of a topic but just try the forum out for a few weeks. I am sure you will get used to it. It's new to everyone here. You are not alone. I am still getting used to it because I really didn't think it would take off this quick but I am glad it did and have so many people that are passionate to this hobby.
If you think this one issue is a flaw then ask yourself about the 100+ other features the other forum never offered and decide if it's really that big of a deal.

Offline RonZombie

• (AKA)"Ron of the Dead"
  • Take a "BITE" out of life!
« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2010, 11:14:07 PM »
I read your post over at the (other) "Gregs" forum, and I thought that was a "Class Act" Ypu're a good guy Brad! I have to be honest I was very skeptikal about this "Forum" at first, but I am loving it more every day I think you got a winner here! My "Hat's Off" to you. Your "WACKY" friend...RonZ          P.S. Are know you're in (Colorado) but can you make it to the "Philly Show"???
"Treat others the way you like to be treated"

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #15 on: March 12, 2010, 11:16:07 PM »

Why wouldn't you add something to the end of the post since your reply will be at the end regardless?
If I asked the question "how many variations did ANS 6 have?' and within the first 10 posts someone says 12 (or something that is the actual answer, can't remember now) why would you need to answer the first post with the same answer and repeat what someone else has already answered?

If I asked what is your favorite Wacky Character? If you answer in the middle then what does it matter since you are answering the question that is only your opinion to the question.

I think I have beaten this to death  :D

I know quit a few of you never use other forums and are used to Greg's format but his is the next generation of posting. So you give up one thing that you take for granted to gain so much in return. Again, and this is the last again, give it some time. You will see a huge difference. You have to realize that most of us are middle aged guys and we are going to be surrounded by the Gen Y group and we have to adapt because this is the new technology. They want the bells and whistles. They don't want to go to a forum just to post. It's all about a social network. Most of the kids these days have cell phones only to text. It's sad but true!

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #16 on: March 12, 2010, 11:32:01 PM »
I read your post over at the (other) "Gregs" forum, and I thought that was a "Class Act" Ypu're a good guy Brad! I have to be honest I was very skeptikal about this "Forum" at first, but I am loving it more every day I think you got a winner here! My "Hat's Off" to you. Your "WACKY" friend...RonZ          P.S. Are know you're in (Colorado) but can you make it to the "Philly Show"???
Ron, I am a little confused because I did read most of the other forum tonight and you said a few times you liked Greg's forum better. What is it that this forum is missing?
If you think Greg is the GOD of wacky's then you should go to the other forum. Greg is not a GOD he is just a guy that sells wacky's. I am not a GOD either, I am just a guy that set up a forum. There is nothing more to it then that. I think, I could be totally wrong, that you think if you favor one forum or another that you won't be accepted. This is totally not true with me. You may have felt that on the other forum because of the the feuds but those are just personal rivalries. It shouldn't concern you.
You have said many times this forum is the best and then you go to Greg's forum and say it's the best. It's like you are trying to gain acceptance. Why try so hard? This is just a forum to talk about wacky's. Don't read too much into this. I don't know why you are telling people in public which forum you like better. It's there opinion that really matters. I really am not sure what your motive is but I do know what is said on the other forum. I also don't expect to go back there because it's basically a rehash of what we are talking about. The important stuff! Wacky's!!!!

Offline RonZombie

• (AKA)"Ron of the Dead"
« Reply #17 on: March 12, 2010, 11:50:02 PM »
Ron, I am a little confused because I did read most of the other forum tonight and you said a few times you liked Greg's forum better. What is it that this forum is missing?
If you think Greg is the GOD of wacky's then you should go to the other forum. Greg is not a GOD he is just a guy that sells wacky's. I am not a GOD either, I am just a guy that set up a forum. There is nothing more to it then that. I think, I could be totally wrong, that you think if you favor one forum or another that you won't be accepted. This is totally not true with me. You may have felt that on the other forum because of the the feuds but those are just personal rivalries. It shouldn't concern you.
You have said many times this forum is the best and then you go to Greg's forum and say it's the best. It's like you are trying to gain acceptance. Why try so hard? This is just a forum to talk about wacky's. Don't read too much into this. I don't know why you are telling people in public which forum you like better. It's there opinion that really matters. I really am not sure what your motive is but I do know what is said on the other forum. I also don't expect to go back there because it's basically a rehash of what we are talking about. The important stuff! Wacky's!!!!
Hello Brad, I do'nt think anyone is a GOD as you put it, the truth is you shoud've checked the time & dates like I said in the begining (a few days ago) I was very "skeptical" about this one and very pumped up about "Gregs" (BTW I never said this was my favorite, just it was getting better all the time) but after a few days on both  I am honestly leaning towards this one! All my WACKY best...RonZ.

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #18 on: March 13, 2010, 12:02:00 AM »
Hello Brad, I do'nt think anyone is a GOD as you put it, the truth is you shoud've checked the time & dates like I said in the begining (a few days ago) I was very "skeptical" about this one and very pumped up about "Gregs" (BTW I never said this was my favorite, just it was getting better all the time) but after a few days on both  I am honestly leaning towards this one! All my WACKY best...RonZ.

Ron, don't get so excited. I think you once called Greg the wacky god, so it stuck in my head. Why would anyone call anyone the king of anything? I could be wrong, it won't be the last! I am glad you are here. We need your enthusiasm throughout this forum. Keep it up! You have to realize people are looking at both forums all the time and they can tell if you mean what you say. Just and FYI

Offline RonZombie

• (AKA)"Ron of the Dead"
« Reply #19 on: March 13, 2010, 12:09:55 AM »
Ron, don't get so excited. I think you once called Greg the wacky god, so it stuck in my head. Why would anyone call anyone the king of anything? I could be wrong, it won't be the last! I am glad you are here. We need your enthusiasm throughout this forum. Keep it up! You have to realize people are looking at both forums all the time and they can tell if you mean what you say. Just and FYI
That is the problem w/forums I'm not upset at all, and I'm not stupid I know that a lot of us are memners at both places, the truth is Brad I liked "Gregs" better at first, but I'm leaning heavy to this one now! Simple as that, It's honestly so far more fun over here! It's like a "Ghost Town" at "Gregs" sometimes I think he has a few more members,  but nobody except me and Greg are posting anything! Like you said a "Forum" is only as good as its members and their participation. Your WACKY friemd...RonZ 8)   P.S. I'm not upset at all! LOL.

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #20 on: March 13, 2010, 12:39:05 AM »
That is the problem w/forums I'm not upset at all, and I'm not stupid I know that a lot of us are memners at both places, the truth is Brad I liked "Gregs" better at first, but I'm leaning heavy to this one now! Simple as that, It's honestly so far more fun over here! It's like a "Ghost Town" at "Gregs" sometimes I think he has a few more members,  but nobody except me and Greg are posting anything! Like you said a "Forum" is only as good as its members and their participation. Your WACKY friemd...RonZ 8)   P.S. I'm not upset at all! LOL.

Ron, Messages can be so cold sometimes. I have no doubt things will be just fine. I only spoke out of passion for what I read you are posting on the other forum and in here. I don't plan to deal with the other forum at all. I just wanted to see a feature Greg has to compare it to this forum. Final verdict - we have quite a few features that the other forum doesn't have. I know Greg said to keep it simple, but what does that say for it's members? I know today's Gen Y group and they love all the features and functionality they can get. The embrace new technology.  Greg even said that he wanted to keep it simple and just like the Delphi forum so it would be familiar (easy) for the members to run. He is basically saying that you are all unable to adapt. This is crazy. Technology is always moving. If you wanted old technology you would all be using DOS! As Matt Stock would say 'ENUF SAID!"

Offline Jean Nutty

« Reply #21 on: March 13, 2010, 12:48:15 AM »
ALL,

Although some people have decided to participate in both forums, some of us had to make a difficult decision this week. Judging by the guest counter, some people are still trying to decide. Most or all of us who have had to make a decision (for whatever reason - some people simply don’t have time to participate in two forums) did so with reluctance and sadness.  I don’t care about Greg’s power games, but I resent him for forcing me and others to decide which “club” to join. I’ll miss some of the people I will not be “seeing” or interacting with anymore. The reasons why people have made their decision is not important. The bottom line is, some of us lost friends last week. Sure, there is always e-mail. Yes, you can make new friends.
But that doesn’t take away the sting, at least not for me.

peace

Offline RonZombie

• (AKA)"Ron of the Dead"
« Reply #22 on: March 13, 2010, 12:54:52 AM »
Ron, Messages can be so cold sometimes. I have no doubt things will be just fine. I only spoke out of passion for what I read you are posting on the other forum and in here. I don't plan to deal with the other forum at all. I just wanted to see a feature Greg has to compare it to this forum. Final verdict - we have quite a few features that the other forum doesn't have. I know Greg said to keep it simple, but what does that say for it's members? I know today's Gen Y group and they love all the features and functionality they can get. The embrace new technology.  Greg even said that he wanted to keep it simple and just like the Delphi forum so it would be familiar (easy) for the members to run. He is basically saying that you are all unable to adapt. This is crazy. Technology is always moving. If you wanted old technology you would all be using DOS! As Matt Stock would say 'ENUF SAID!"
Fair enough Brad! Like I said on day 1 I'm here to stay! I think we're gonna have a lot of fun here during the years! If you ever need anything just LMK! Your WACKY friend...RonZ 8)

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #23 on: March 13, 2010, 12:55:47 AM »
ALL,

Although some people have decided to participate in both forums, some of us had to make a difficult decision this week. Judging by the guest counter, some people are still trying to decide. Most or all of us who have had to make a decision (for whatever reason - some people simply don’t have time to participate in two forums) did so with reluctance and sadness.  I don’t care about Greg’s power games, but I resent him for forcing me and others to decide which “club” to join. I’ll miss some of the people I will not be “seeing” or interacting with anymore. The reasons why people have made their decision is not important. The bottom line is, some of us lost friends last week. Sure, there is always e-mail. Yes, you can make new friends.
But that doesn’t take away the sting, at least not for me.

peace

Great post! I think that Greg's mentality is I am delivering what people want. The problem is that is forum is dated. Many of you may not realize but he is still using a forum format out of the late 90's. You all have to realize that this hobby is growing faster then we think it is. Most of us are in their 40's and there is a new generation that hasn't heard of wacky's and is looking to get into the hobby. We have to set an example!
With internet these days, collecting has completely changed.

Offline Crakola Crayons

• 10+ years of homemades
  • "...I'll stop the world and melt with you..."
    • Martin's View (blog about music, TV, movies and comics)
« Reply #24 on: March 13, 2010, 06:44:09 AM »
Brad, having participated in many forums over the years on many formats (Yahoo Groups, DC Comic message boards, boards done in the EZBoard format, the various previous Wacky board incarnations, etc.), the only one I ever saw that did not automatically put the poster to the bottom of the thread after they posted was Greg's and the Delphi engine before that.  As you noted, that format was dated from the late 90's.  This board is very much in line in behavior, functionality and look to more current, present day message board paradigms.  I think what you have set up here is winner - it is just going to take some folks a little time to adjust to the differences.  In the long run, I think they will find out how to navigate here and will adjust.
My blog on music, comics, film and more - Martin's View - http://mcmaenza.blogspot.com/

Offline Jean Nutty

« Reply #25 on: March 13, 2010, 07:32:36 AM »
I think that Greg's mentality is I am delivering what people want.
I think you are delivering what most people want. What I want in a forum is a free for all, and that is why I’m here. I want everyone. The people I like. The people I don’t like so much. The people I agree with - AND the people who think I’m a nut. I want to hang around a few “uncool” people (?whoever they are?). I don’t want to live on Easy Street peering through rose colored glasses, only dealing with people who I am comfortable with. I want to squirm a little. I want to be challenged. I want my tolerance to be tested (a bit). I want diversity. I need diversity. That’s why I’m here - it’s a free for all. Sorry to be redundant, but thanks again Brad.

« Last Edit: March 13, 2010, 07:34:11 AM by Jean Nutty »

Offline bandaches

« Reply #26 on: March 13, 2010, 07:37:29 AM »
I think the forum comparison thing is counter productive and will only lead to angst and bad feelings somewhere along the way.  Think of it this way, there are many folks who believe this is the better forum and many think the other is better.  Those were initially emotionally charged opinions as this forum hadn't even been given a few days yet.  Constantly making comparisons of an emotionally charged event seems to have little upside. 

Offline Crakola Crayons

• 10+ years of homemades
« Reply #27 on: March 13, 2010, 07:40:50 AM »
I think the forum comparison thing is counter productive and will only lead to angst and bad feelings somewhere along the way.  Think of it this way, there are many folks who believe this is the better forum and many think the other is better.  Those were initially emotionally charged opinions as this forum hadn't even been given a few days yet.  Constantly making comparisons of an emotionally charged event seems to have little upside. 

Ernie, I agree with you.  Comparisons are a moot point.  Both forums have been set up to offer different things with different sets of rules.  We all pretty much understand the differences.  Let's just move on and get back to having fun.
My blog on music, comics, film and more - Martin's View - http://mcmaenza.blogspot.com/

Offline HeadAndBoulders

« Reply #28 on: March 13, 2010, 08:34:42 AM »
I agree about comparisons.    It seems like a few have made statements about  who has more members, blah blah blah.  It really isnt a competition and I wonder what the  value of the comparisons really are.  TO me, all that can do is cause hurt feelings.  For the past while, it has just seemed a bit painful to me to see how people can talk out of both sides of their mouth.  I just try to stay out of it for the most part, but we do need to be mindful of what we say.  When you have been wronged and hurt by someone and someone else jumps to their defense, it is very hurtful and that has happened to me on more than one occasion.  I dont see where I ever did anything to warrant unforgiveness and I dont see where my opinion should have any less value than anyone elses.  Too be honest, I am having a bit of a time getting used to this format and it is easier for me to navigate the other forum, but I dont like a lot of what is being said over there and all the negative things about Old School that were said before the other forum closed.  I do have a lot of stuff in the uploads section of the old forum and I dont know what the hell to do with all of that. I guess I am just a slow learner and I am not on a lot of message boards like some seem to be on here.   I do plan on going to both forums, but I feel better about not being on someones Crap list and being reminded of it periodically and then have people acting like this person can do no wrong.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2010, 08:46:31 AM by HeadAndBoulders »

Offline Crakola Crayons

• 10+ years of homemades
« Reply #29 on: March 13, 2010, 08:55:13 AM »
Gary, you echo my sentiments as well.

Time to go work on some new homemades and bring back the fun discussion and good feelings of fellowship.

Offline RonZombie

• (AKA)"Ron of the Dead"
« Reply #30 on: March 13, 2010, 09:02:23 AM »
Gary, you echo my sentiments as well.

Time to go work on some new homemades and bring back the fun discussion and good feelings of fellowship.
That sounds like a GREAT plan! Long Live Wacky Packages!!! All my WACKY best...RonZ 8)

Offline koduck

• Administrator
  • Make it snappy!
« Reply #31 on: March 14, 2010, 08:20:10 AM »
Added a pic...let's see if it works!

Wow, Hoodoo Gurus!? Haven't seen them in a while! "It's always Bittersweet!"

Offline Zenergizer

« Reply #32 on: March 22, 2010, 02:36:25 PM »
I think I must have been a Greek immigrant planted in Australia in a past life, because I love many Aussie bands!

I just haven't gotten the urge to change my pic, but will do so, but in the meantime, the Gurus' new CD is great!  You won't be disappointed! 

Offline Lavirus

« Reply #33 on: March 22, 2010, 03:54:44 PM »
One of my favorite Aussie bands, The Church, is coming to down (Somerville) next month on a 30 year retrospective tour. I've never seen them, should be good!

Offline Fanatical_and_Sickly

• Administrator
« Reply #34 on: April 04, 2010, 08:51:06 AM »
Greg did something no other forum I know of has done and that let's you post in the middle of a thread and then resumes where you left off.  sign up for some of the big forums using the very expensive forum software such as DVDtalk.com and Macrumors.com and you will see this is how a real forum acts. I know you guys aren't used to it but that is how they are run.
just because the "modern and expensive" software doesn't have this feature doesn't mean it is a bad or unwanted feature. It's an amazing feature and the fact that all forums don't do this boggles the mind. It speaks more to laziness or short-sightedness of the programmers, who will tout all the other 1000 amazing and wonderful modern features, the incredible flexibility and interactions of all their cool options, etc., etc., but won't include the ability to return to a post after a reply is made.

One thing that really bothered me with Greg's forum is if I wanted to get caught up in a long topic I would just go to the last page but when I left and it showed unread posts it would still list 400 posts that I didn't read. I didn't want to read another 400 posts I got what I needed at the end. I wanted to see how it was resolved.
that's what the "mark all posts as read" button was for.

which, again, is a superior feature to what this board is doing. If I only had the time to read the first of several pages of posts on this forum, it will by default say that I've read the whole thing and that there are no unread messages. I have to tell this board to "Mark thread as unread", and of course, when I come back on it will have no memory of where I left off and will dump me to either the very first or very last post depending on what button I hit.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2010, 09:10:40 AM by Fanatical_and_Sickly »

anything