Author Topic: Looking to Buy OS Unopened 1-16 Boxes  (Read 29565 times)

Offline DynamicTwo

Looking to Buy OS Unopened 1-16 Boxes
« on: July 17, 2016, 01:22:16 PM »
I am still looking to buy more unopened OS 1- 16 wacky packages boxes. I have a series 1 1973 pack to trade for my wants. I will also bring my unopened box dups to the National Sports Collectors Convention in Atlantic City spot 141 or 145 between August 3 - 7 at the convention center in A,C,

Hey Dave, I know you are an unopened pack collector; any unopened boxes for sale? Know of anyone who does?

Best,

Steve

Offline NationalSpittoon

Re: Looking to Buy OS Unopened 1-16 Boxes
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2016, 03:13:44 PM »
I am still looking to buy more unopened OS 1- 16 wacky packages boxes. I have a series 1 1973 pack to trade for my wants. I will also bring my unopened box dups to the National Sports Collectors Convention in Atlantic City spot 141 or 145 between August 3 - 7 at the convention center in A,C,

Hey Dave, I know you are an unopened pack collector; any unopened boxes for sale? Know of anyone who does?

Best,

Steve

Good luck with that... A series 1 pack won't get you much even though it's rare...

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2016, 04:35:41 PM »

Best,

Steve

Other than the party you are already familiar with, I don't know anyone who is looking to sell. I do know someone who has a lot of boxes, but no plans to sell as far as I know.

I personally sold off all of my full boxes several years ago. At one point I had 2nd,3rd,6th,7th, 9th,10th, 12th,14th and 15th. I actually opened the 15th series packs, which was incredibly fun and yielded some nice stickers!

« Last Edit: July 17, 2016, 04:42:35 PM by Paul_Maul »

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2016, 04:45:07 PM »

Other than the party you are already familiar with, I don't know anyone who is looking to sell. I do know someone who has a lot of boxes, but no plans to sell as far as I know.

I personally sold off all of my full boxes several years ago. At one point I had 2nd,3rd,6th,7th, 9th,10th, 12th,14th and 15th. I actually opened the 15th series packs, which was incredibly fun and yielded some nice stickers!

(Image removed from quote.)

(Image removed from quote.)

Oh wow, I would have loved to be there to watch you open the 15th series packs!!  That's the only series I ever had a box of - used birthday money.  Sadly, I didn't keep the box or the wrappers.

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2016, 04:49:19 PM »
Oh wow, I would have loved to be there to watch you open the 15th series packs!!  That's the only series I ever had a box of - used birthday money.  Sadly, I didn't keep the box or the wrappers.

It actually worked out pretty well financially too. I was into the box for I think $1250, I kept the nicest set and sold the remaining dupes to Greg for upwards of $600. So for $600 and change I got three 8s, twelve 9s and a 10, as well as a really nice puzzle.

Offline Pupsi-Cola

« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2016, 04:56:34 PM »
It actually worked out pretty well financially too. I was into the box for I think $1250, I kept the nicest set and sold the remaining dupes to Greg for upwards of $600. So for $600 and change I got three 8s, twelve 9s and a 10, as well as a really nice puzzle.

The full boxes I had back in the day were a 10th and a 16th.

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2016, 04:57:50 PM »

The full boxes I had back in the day were a 10th and a 16th.

Yeah, series 7 gumless, 9,10 and 14 used to be really common.

Offline DynamicTwo

« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2016, 07:57:06 PM »
Thanks Dave. I won't be set up at the next Philly show as I will be on vacation again. I have picked up some terrific unopened boxes over the past few months, including some tough ones. I now feel that I can approximate the value of all Wacky boxes, except for 16th series. What do you think a full series 16 would sell for in 2016 dollars?

Also, regarding someone's comments about the value and rarity of the 1973 series 1 packs, I have been looking for and selling Wackys now since the mid 1970s. Why do I constantly see unopened 1967 packs for sale (4 in the last 6 months) but never see any 1973 series 1s? Maybe because of the value of the big 1967 cards, and the possibility of getting them in a pack. Yes lower in value but seems to me to be tougher to find. So I guess I am in agreement there. Good point!!

Steve

Offline bandaches

• http://www.wackypackage.com/
    • Visit my Wacky Pack Website
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2016, 08:19:20 PM »
Thanks Dave. I won't be set up at the next Philly show as I will be on vacation again. I have picked up some terrific unopened boxes over the past few months, including some tough ones. I now feel that I can approximate the value of all Wacky boxes, except for 16th series. What do you think a full series 16 would sell for in 2016 dollars?

Also, regarding someone's comments about the value and rarity of the 1973 series 1 packs, I have been looking for and selling Wackys now since the mid 1970s. Why do I constantly see unopened 1967 packs for sale (4 in the last 6 months) but never see any 1973 series 1s? Maybe because of the value of the big 1967 cards, and the possibility of getting them in a pack. Yes lower in value but seems to me to be tougher to find. So I guess I am in agreement there. Good point!!

Steve
How is it you feel you can assess the value on items will so little in the way of transactions?  I really doubt you can accurately project the selling price on anything close to a consistent basis for full wacky pack boxes.  I notice you use the word "unopened" is that meant to be distinguishable from "full" boxes?   Wouldn't hard core collectors want boxes with their original packs with the correct distribution of ads and folds in the box?  We all know a large number of these "full" boxes were cobbled together with packs from all sorts of sources.  I think you have a small number of players in this full box market(relatively speaking) and I bet some are trying to make a market by supporting the prices in bidding on or buying ones they already have.
Contact me at bandaches@yahoo.com as I have tons of wackys for sale!  Visit my website http://www.wackypackage.com/

Offline bandaches

« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2016, 08:21:11 PM »
Good luck with that... A series 1 pack won't get you much even though it's rare...
What is your definition of "much"?  If $500 to $1000 or possible more isn't much, then I guess you'd be right but I bet a full 7th box would sell for less than a series 1 pack.
Contact me at bandaches@yahoo.com as I have tons of wackys for sale!  Visit my website http://www.wackypackage.com/

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2016, 09:09:26 PM »
I totally agree that legitimate 1st series packs are rarer than die cut packs. I have no idea what they would sell for today, but certainly north of $500 in nice shape. Die cut packs are still worth more due to the value of the contents.

Offline bandaches

« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2016, 09:37:42 PM »
I totally agree that legitimate 1st series packs are rarer than die cut packs. I have no idea what they would sell for today, but certainly north of $500 in nice shape. Die cut packs are still worth more due to the value of the contents.
Diecut packs are worth more only because it seems the same few people run them up.  I think once Eric is happy with his graded diecut set, the prices will fall a bit, he is settling the market on these.

Offline NationalSpittoon

« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2016, 10:36:05 AM »
What is your definition of "much"?  If $500 to $1000 or possible more isn't much, then I guess you'd be right but I bet a full 7th box would sell for less than a series 1 pack.

Then how come they never show up? They might be cheap if they do, but if they don't come out that much then the demand increases, right?

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2016, 10:53:41 AM »
Then how come they never show up? They might be cheap if they do, but if they don't come out that much then the demand increases, right?

They never show up because there aren't that many left around, and most of the people that have the ones that are left don't need the money.

And I don't know where you got the idea they'd be cheap, that would certainly not be the case.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2016, 11:28:21 AM by Paul_Maul »

Offline DynamicTwo

« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2016, 11:34:35 AM »
All excellent points. I am convinced that I know enough about the value of unopened non sports (including wacky packages) to approximate value very closely. I would pay a minimum of $1,000 for ANY unopened or full box of Wacky packages, including the common ones such as series 14. I think that those that used to be common have long burst that bubble and will sell for $1,000+ in an ebay auction. Obviously I would prefer a box that has not been pieced together, but will accept full boxes as long as the accompanying gum is not broken. That has always been my guide to buying unopened boxes: no broken gum or suspicious packs or box.

I also agree with Dave that a real series 1 1973 pack will sell north of $500, but more than a series 7 box with no gum. Not likely because I consider a 7 series no gum now worth well north of $1,000. Yes, there is very little documentation on the value of boxes in the past few years, and ER keeps buying the valuable ones. I will have many unopened boxes with me at the National in AC so stop by to buy or sell me more. I will have two Beatles 1960s boxes, Green Hornet, Gomer Pyle plus at least 7 OS 1973-5 Wacky boxes.

I will also have a special on Beatles packs from the 60s. NM/packs for $250. or all ten for $2300.

Steve

Offline NationalSpittoon

« Reply #15 on: July 18, 2016, 11:47:46 AM »
They never show up because there aren't that many left around, and most of the people that have the ones that are left don't need the money.

And I don't know where you got the idea they'd be cheap, that would certainly not be the case.

Bandache said a box is cheaper than a series 1 pack, which obviously makes those packs even cheaper. While that may not be the case, I'm just taking everyone else's words for it... I don't know as much as everyone else.

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #16 on: July 18, 2016, 11:51:17 AM »
A lot changes in 10 years. In 2002, Bandaches and I both purchased series 9 and 10 full boxes from the same seller for $200-300 each. That seller also had a ton of loose packs from these series, but that supply has finally dried up.

Offline bandaches

« Reply #17 on: July 19, 2016, 06:33:53 PM »
Bandache said a box is cheaper than a series 1 pack, which obviously makes those packs even cheaper. While that may not be the case, I'm just taking everyone else's words for it... I don't know as much as everyone else.
obviously makes what packs even cheaper, series 7 packs?  Of course those are cheaper than series 1 packs.

Offline bandaches

« Reply #18 on: July 19, 2016, 06:35:48 PM »
All excellent points. I am convinced that I know enough about the value of unopened non sports (including wacky packages) to approximate value very closely. I would pay a minimum of $1,000 for ANY unopened or full box of Wacky packages, including the common ones such as series 14. I think that those that used to be common have long burst that bubble and will sell for $1,000+ in an ebay auction. Obviously I would prefer a box that has not been pieced together, but will accept full boxes as long as the accompanying gum is not broken. That has always been my guide to buying unopened boxes: no broken gum or suspicious packs or box.

I also agree with Dave that a real series 1 1973 pack will sell north of $500, but more than a series 7 box with no gum. Not likely because I consider a 7 series no gum now worth well north of $1,000. Yes, there is very little documentation on the value of boxes in the past few years, and ER keeps buying the valuable ones. I will have many unopened boxes with me at the National in AC so stop by to buy or sell me more. I will have two Beatles 1960s boxes, Green Hornet, Gomer Pyle plus at least 7 OS 1973-5 Wacky boxes.

I will also have a special on Beatles packs from the 60s. NM/packs for $250. or all ten for $2300.

Steve
This suggests all of your full wacky pack boxes will have asking prices over $1000 as clearly you are not going to sell for less than you would buy.  I think you will be taking several(if not all) of those boxes home with you.

Offline DynamicTwo

« Reply #19 on: July 19, 2016, 09:52:26 PM »
Good point but what will be will be. I never put all of my eggs in one basket. If I don't sell any wacky boxes, such is life. The Wackys are truly less than 1%  of what I bring to a large show. But one never knows what they will do at any show, or what they will sell. The last Philly show was my best show at that location in 5 to 10 years. Best regards, Steve

Offline NationalSpittoon

« Reply #20 on: July 20, 2016, 08:00:58 AM »
Good point but what will be will be. I never put all of my eggs in one basket. If I don't sell any wacky boxes, such is life. The Wackys are truly less than 1%  of what I bring to a large show. But one never knows what they will do at any show, or what they will sell. The last Philly show was my best show at that location in 5 to 10 years. Best regards, Steve

What stand were you at and what did you sell?

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #21 on: July 20, 2016, 08:35:03 AM »
What stand were you at and what did you sell?

Steve has a very noticeable wall of empty sports and non-sports display boxes. At the Allentown show, he had 12th and 14th series wacky full boxes as well as the usual assortment of sports and non-sport unopened packs and wrappers.

Offline NationalSpittoon

« Reply #22 on: July 20, 2016, 10:00:27 AM »
Steve has a very noticeable wall of empty sports and non-sports display boxes. At the Allentown show, he had 12th and 14th series wacky full boxes as well as the usual assortment of sports and non-sport unopened packs and wrappers.

Oh okay, I saw him then. I didn't see the 12th box but I did notice the 14th.

Offline Tom Keen

« Reply #23 on: July 20, 2016, 10:21:15 AM »
What boxes will you be offering and what prices?

Offline DynamicTwo

« Reply #24 on: July 20, 2016, 05:29:08 PM »
Wow. So many questions.

1 -- Dave seems to know my display well. I focus on items from $1 to up to $10,000 and up. My focus is on the 1880s to the 1980s. I probably have the largest display of Zeenuts cards from the 1910s to 1930s. They are all minor league baseball with many stars and superstars. I just picked up over 300 new Sweet Caporal P2 pins with over 80 hall of famers including 4 Cobbs and many rare ones. I have many sets including over 500 non sports sets from 1930s to 1980s, most earlier than later. I have many rare Topps test cards non sports and sports. Some perfect 10's. When I have a large show, I put up a very large display of empty display boxes and unopened wax boxes. I try my best to stand out, and I am often told, even at an 600 to 800 booth show like the National that I have the one of the best displays.  My display will include vintage baseball (even a T205 set), vintage football, basketball, hockey, Golf, Tennis and Boxing. I have a selection of almost everything; As I said, I am one of the survivors from the 1970s, and I have also personally run over 300 baseball card and comic book shows. I have set up at thousands of shows over the years.

2 -- So what did I sell at the last Philly show? 6 empty original "expensive" display boxes including a Lost in Space, James Bond and Gilligans Island. I had a repeat customer who bought many Bread labels including 2 expensive James Bond bread labels and 10 to 15 others. I sold 2 rather expensive baseball cards, which I can't even remember which ones they were. While I don't truly focus on non sports from the 1880s, I did sell a number of such cards to one customer. I sold 10-20 cards from my non sports books, which I have 5 large books, and wrappers from my seven books of wrappers.

When I got home, there was already a message from a new show customer to buy 2 more expensive empty wax boxes, which he did.

I really can't remember what else.

3 -- At this National, I will be putting up a display of at least 8 showcases and the full display of Unopened and empty display boxes. At least 2 or 3 of my showcases will be fully NON Sports. I will also have 5 to 7 boxes of All Star, World Series, Super Bowl,  NY Yankees, NY Mets, Brooklyn Dodgers, and NY Giants Programs and Yearbook. I have some very rare ones which are autographed such as the 1st Yankee yearbook, and MINT copies of the 1962 Mets Yearbook and Program, and the rare press guide, and every one of the Yankees and Mets yeqarbooks, Most Dodgers and many Giants.

4-- I also have a new addition to my display. After 40 years in business, I now have an alarm system that will be watching 360 degrees of my display. Once in a while,  something disappears, so now I will be able to immediately determine who took an item by using my IPhone or IPad. When I thought I lost several big time items in the past year, I bought this system, but I have to admit that the items were both found eventually 6 to 9 months later. Still, it will protect me from such occurrences.

5 -- Yes, I will be selling all of my Wacky boxes for more than $1,000 each, but I already consider them inventory, so I am not in the least concerned if I take them home with me. I would like to sell some but again, if I don't -- such is life.  I'll respond to any other questions later this week or next, as I am in the process of buying two to three more boxes and would prefer not to count them in until they arrive.

6 - I have two half page ads in the latest The Wrapper, issue #300, so you can get my e-mail and telephone and booth numbers at the A.C. show in those ads.

Happy hunting and sorry to elaborate, but I was primarily answering questions.

Steve Sabow

Offline drono

« Reply #25 on: July 20, 2016, 09:15:16 PM »
Wow. So many questions.

I can't make it to Atlantic City, so where else will you be with a large display?

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #26 on: July 21, 2016, 04:33:05 AM »
I can't make it to Atlantic City, so where else will you be with a large display?

Steve, will you be at the East Coast National in White Plains in August?

Offline Tom Keen

« Reply #27 on: July 21, 2016, 04:01:32 PM »
What wacky packages boxes will you have in AC and what are their prices?

Offline DynamicTwo

« Reply #28 on: July 22, 2016, 10:40:41 AM »
More answers to posed questions:

1 -- Sorry, but I am not scheduled for any shows after the National in the first week in August. I will eventually do another Allentown show and will also do some more White Plains shows. I live only 20 minutes from the White Plains show. But doing 6 days in Atlantic City is enough for me for this summer.

2 -- I buy based on the following assumptions.

-- I consider any OS unopened high quality pack to be worth $40 to $50 and up each. I consider any graded OS pack in grades 7 or above to be worth at least $50 + up. All of my full boxes are high quality; I don't buy junk.

-- I will only buy boxes when I  don't have 2 of that one in inventory.

-- I will bring at least one of each of the following boxes (maybe 2 to 5 others which I am working on right now): 7, 7 no gum, 12, 14, and 15. Probably at least 2 to 5 more.

-- I am primarily a face to face dealer, but I can work with sales through the mail after August 7th, when I return from the National.

-- I also am buying packs that I personally need, which include: 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 and 16. BUT I will also buy high quality ones that I already have as they would then become inventory.

Using the following assumptions, you should be able to approximate what I would be selling a box for. One other assumption, I put a premium on full complete boxes (1) because of the value of the empty box, and (2) the fact that there are 48 complete high quality packs in one place.

NOTE: If you disagree with my assumptions, then go online and study the sales of OS packs and you have another solution: Just sell me your boxes at $1,000 each.

At this writing, I have enough stock on several series. So please contact me in advance if you have boxes to sell me and will be bringing them to the National between August 3 - 7. I wouldn't want you to waste a trip to New Jersey. My ads in The Wrapper have my contact information.

Best regards, and also NOTE that I will be working full time on the National starting this Sunday, so I may not check in here too much to answer any other comments.

Finally, if you have something negative to say, please contact me at my e-mail address or telephone number, rather than in an open forum. I have always been impressed with this web site versus the Net 54 one where negativity is quite frequent.

Happy hunting, and best regards,

Steve

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #29 on: July 22, 2016, 12:51:00 PM »
It seems like it's time that the unopened product/display box end of the hobby made some gains value wise. This stuff was never easily available, but it's certainly become way less so in the last 5-7 years. I don't agree with Steve that every nice original series unopened pack is worth $50, but I do think that the tougher ones are probably worth way more than any of us thought, and especially nice display boxes. Some of the tougher boxes (such as the cloth or the wacky ads boxes) are easily as rare as Action #1 in high grade. The only question is where the demand end of that lies, and it's hard to tell when they never become available for sale.

« Last Edit: July 22, 2016, 12:58:13 PM by Paul_Maul »

Offline DynamicTwo

« Reply #30 on: July 22, 2016, 01:43:18 PM »
Okay, I will back up a little and put OS Series 14 in a category by itself, as it is the only common one that still turns up but not as frequently as in the past. That is why I made the statement that every OS pack was worth at least $40 to $50 and above.

I did pick up a full box of graded 14s about 3 to 5 years ago, and I never sold one of them for less than $35; they were all graded 7s or 8s and above. I still have about half a box of them left and they still continue to sell at approximately $40 to $75 for me depending on their grade. Dave, I showed some of them to you before at the Allentown show.

I have also had a number of series 7 packs ungraded for sale, and always got around $40 for them. I still have a few left.

But it is now 2016 and the market has completely dried up for large amounts of unopened OS Wackys. That is why the value of unopened OS packs and boxes is hard to pinpoint exactly, as there are sales that are few and far between. BUT the facts remain that they are worth more than they were 2 years ago. If you use the facts from 2 years ago, you need to multiply those figures by a decent percentage.

SO what would a nice Series 1 box sell for? One would probably go back 2 years and say "$7,000"? Not -- I would bet it would sell well north of $10,000, probably north of $20,000.
What do you think Dave? Also, can you imagine a sale without the one big buyer driving the price up? Then likely $12,000 to $15,000.

I have many people looking to find boxes for me, so yes I have turned up 11 boxes over the past few months, but I have only been able to buy 7 of them. The others got away but may return to me eventually if I made the highest offer.

Regards,

Steve
« Last Edit: July 22, 2016, 01:47:47 PM by DynamicTwo »

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #31 on: July 22, 2016, 01:49:46 PM »
I will admit that pretty much all of my pack sources have now dried up, but I was routinely able to buy nice series 6, 7, 9, 10, 12, 14 and 15 packs, sometimes in quantity, for $20-25 up through about two years ago. Again, those sources have dried up now, so we need to see some packs auctioned to see where the market is.

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #32 on: July 22, 2016, 01:59:19 PM »
It's also possible that you're able to get $40-50 for these packs simply by setting that price and sticking to it. If you don't mind taking awhile longer to sell them, I can believe that's possible. Now that it's not that easy to replace these there's not much point in blowing them out.

Offline bandaches

« Reply #33 on: July 27, 2016, 06:02:14 PM »
It's also possible that you're able to get $40-50 for these packs simply by setting that price and sticking to it. If you don't mind taking awhile longer to sell them, I can believe that's possible. Now that it's not that easy to replace these there's not much point in blowing them out.
I don't consider sitting on a price that is only executed once in a blue moon when the right buyer comes along as "market value".  Packs have been selling for under the $40-$50 range even in the last two years. I know a 12th pack sold for like $30 not long ago and blue poster pack has had the price drop to $20 just to try to find a buyer.  I think Eric and Steve have made a market in packs.  That is not the definition of market value.

Offline DynamicTwo

« Reply #34 on: July 27, 2016, 08:17:27 PM »
I fully agree that market value needs many inputs and the fact that one person sells a pack for $40 while another sells a pack for $20 has value in that calculation but it needs more inputs to get a true median. I would argue that you need a minimum of 5 or 6 sales and preferably ten or more to come up with good medians. I would also argue that taking an average of the inputs is not the best idea either because it could be influenced by one large or small sale, that would overstate or understate the average.

So, I contend that in the past 2 to 3 years, there have not been enough sales of packs or boxes to get a true market value. That is probably why Dave has not attempted to update his list of box values. I looked at those values several months ago and came up with approximate values for every box. I would eagerly pay those values right now for any series 1 - 16 box.

For example, look at what Dave's list says for a series 2 or 3 box, and then look at the results of the full and half boxes of series "2" on eBay a while back. Would similar boxes sell for as much? Possibly, but what if there were 5 or 6 more boxes of the same series out there? After 5 or 6 such auctions, the price would likely nosedive but that can't be proven because most boxes, if they still exist, are in the hands of other collectors, and either they don't exist or they are not parting with them.

So what have we gained from this exercise? Not very much if anything, except my "theory" is that the value of "most" OS unopened boxes has doubled or tripled or more in the past 2 to 3 years, due to lack of product availability.

One last possibility: Lack of interest? I sold all of my sets years ago. Now I am buying up full boxes and if and when I have them all, will I also lose interest? Probably not until I retire from selling at shows, if then.

Best regards,

Steve