Author Topic: SDCC 2016 Wacky Exclusives - NOT!!  (Read 7897 times)

Offline Fanatical_and_Sickly

• Administrator
SDCC 2016 Wacky Exclusives - NOT!!
« on: July 09, 2016, 09:01:33 AM »
no word on what is actually being sold that I can find, but sounds like there will be Wacky exclusives at SDCC in a few weeks.
And maybe something for NYCC this fall? it's not clear

>>Topps will be again be located in the Lucasfilm Pavilion on the show floor, where they’ll have five oversized card sets, “all themed from The Force Awakens, plus giveaways of Galactic Connexions discs and photo ops with the 14kt gold disc,” Ohlsen said. “Topps will also have exclusive Doctor Who products at the BBC booth, GPK (Garbage Pail Kids) and Wacky Packages exclusives for sale at yet another booth, [and] Preacher promo cards at the DC Comics Booth.”<<

>>oversized cards for Star Wars, Doctor Who, GPK and Wacky plus Preacher promo cards at SDCC and even more planned for NYCC.<<

http://www.yodasnews.com/10-questions-with-mark-von-ohlen-from-topps/
« Last Edit: July 23, 2016, 12:41:25 PM by Fanatical_and_Sickly »

Offline NationalSpittoon

Re: SDCC 2016 Wacky Exclusives
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2016, 12:40:50 PM »
Tell me how it goes because I'm curious.

Offline crackedjerk

« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2016, 03:57:06 PM »
Topps has been so negligent with Wackys lately, I hadn't even thought about there being something at San Diego.  Of course, I hope there is, but I also hope, if so, those of us who aren't going can get a copy.

Offline NationalSpittoon

« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2016, 05:14:37 PM »
Topps has been so negligent with Wackys lately, I hadn't even thought about there being something at San Diego.  Of course, I hope there is, but I also hope, if so, those of us who aren't going can get a copy.

Oh I'm sure someone on eBay would happily give you a copy for 100 bucks.

Offline Choke_Wagon

• Yeeeeeeeee-ha!
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2016, 09:55:46 PM »
I sure hope Topps has their act together for the 50th Anniversary coming up in less than 5 months :] :]

Offline vahsurfer

« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2016, 07:39:11 AM »
HAHAHAHAHAHAHA - If it is Wacky - NOT!

Offline Joe G.

« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2016, 03:03:30 PM »
no word on what is actually being sold that I can find, but sounds like there will be Wacky exclusives at SDCC in a few weeks.
And maybe something for NYCC this fall? it's not clear

>>Topps will be again be located in the Lucasfilm Pavilion on the show floor, where they’ll have five oversized card sets, “all themed from The Force Awakens, plus giveaways of Galactic Connexions discs and photo ops with the 14kt gold disc,” Ohlsen said. “Topps will also have exclusive Doctor Who products at the BBC booth, GPK (Garbage Pail Kids) and Wacky Packages exclusives for sale at yet another booth, [and] Preacher promo cards at the DC Comics Booth.”<<

>>oversized cards for Star Wars, Doctor Who, GPK and Wacky plus Preacher promo cards at SDCC and even more planned for NYCC.<<

http://www.yodasnews.com/10-questions-with-mark-von-ohlen-from-topps/

Patrick, thanks so much for posting this.  The way I read it the exclusive sets will be oversized cards of past Wacky stickers and not new titles.  They may be themed like last year's cereal set.  I imagine they could be a mix of old and new titles but if they follow what they've been doing with Star Wars, it might just be original series.  Last year's Star Wars sets were 10 cards for $20.  I recall there being 10
sets total but I only purchased the Boba Fett set.

Offline Zenergizer

« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2016, 03:39:59 PM »
Joe, at least it's nice to hear that Topps is going to be somewhere and doing some type of Wacky, even if it is an exclusive at SDCC.  I'm on the East Coast, and never can even come close to seeing these, so all you West Coasters, we're counting on you!   ;D

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2016, 03:51:08 PM »
Patrick, thanks so much for posting this.  The way I read it the exclusive sets will be oversized cards of past Wacky stickers and not new titles.  They may be themed like last year's cereal set.  I imagine they could be a mix of old and new titles but if they follow what they've been doing with Star Wars, it might just be original series.  Last year's Star Wars sets were 10 cards for $20.  I recall there being 10
sets total but I only purchased the Boba Fett set.
I agree, I think it will be something like last year. Oversized postcards, maybe 5 titles, all reprints but possibly a new one, like last year's controversial Decapitatin' Crunch.

The 2 GPK sets have 10, like those Star Wars sets:

Set contains 10 different "Garbage Pail Kids Best of the 2017 Presidential Candidates Jumbo Stickers” featuring parodies of Donald Trump and Hilary Clinton. Each card measures 5 by 7 inches. This set is has 10 different designs, 5 of each candidate.
Price: $20.00

Set contains 10 different "Garbage Pail Kids Prime Slime Trashy TV Summer Preview Jumbo Sticker Cards” featuring parodies of popular TV shows by Topps. Each card measures 5 by 7 inches. This set is has 10 different Garbage Pail Kids card designs.

Offline NationalSpittoon

« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2016, 03:55:05 PM »
...Or it's a Flashback 3 Promo. The Flashback 2 Promo was done at SD Comic Con.. Sadly, Old School's weren't.

Offline Joe G.

« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2016, 06:44:09 PM »
I agree, I think it will be something like last year. Oversized postcards, maybe 5 titles, all reprints but possibly a new one, like last year's controversial Decapitatin' Crunch.

The 2 GPK sets have 10, like those Star Wars sets:

Set contains 10 different "Garbage Pail Kids Best of the 2017 Presidential Candidates Jumbo Stickers” featuring parodies of Donald Trump and Hilary Clinton. Each card measures 5 by 7 inches. This set is has 10 different designs, 5 of each candidate.

Set contains 10 different "Garbage Pail Kids Prime Slime Trashy TV Summer Preview Jumbo Sticker Cards” featuring parodies of popular TV shows by Topps. Each card measures 5 by 7 inches. This set is has 10 different Garbage Pail Kids card designs.

Patrick, interesting tid-bit about Decapitatin' Crunch was that it was originally intended for WP 2014.  Not sure why it was pulled but it may have been that the content was not deemed suitable for kids.  WP 2014 also contained Bhob Stewart's Vice Krispees, which again is perhaps a bit much for Wackys intended age group.

Offline vahsurfer

« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2016, 04:33:09 PM »
Very inappropriate AND one of my favorites!!!

Ovary Show

http://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/y3QAAOSwo6lWJCcZ/s-l300.jpg

Offline Joe G.

« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2016, 05:19:55 PM »
 Any update about these?  Anyone have any info or pics?

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2016, 08:10:56 PM »
I haven't heard a thing. I'm guessing the spokesman was in error, there's only gpk's

Offline Joe G.

« Reply #14 on: July 21, 2016, 08:36:31 PM »
Patrick, I suspect you may be right.  I tweeted Topps this morning asking if they could show pics of the Wacky Packages (they have images of the Star Wars, GPK and Preacher sets) and didn't get a response.  Also none have showed up for sale and that's definitely a telling sign.

• Administrator
« Reply #15 on: July 22, 2016, 07:09:29 AM »
the word I'm getting this morning is that there is just last year's set on display, the 5 cereal box set.

• Administrator
Re: SDCC 2016 Wacky Exclusives - NOT!!
« Reply #16 on: August 12, 2016, 04:18:51 PM »
comic con set now for sale on the website.

anyone actually believe these are on sticker stock? yeah, me neither.
------------------------------------------------
TOPPS WACKY PACKAGES COMIC CON SET
$20.00
SKU: ARTGPK-16C2S-16SDCC-SET07

Each character set contains 5 5x7 stickers. The checklist is as follows...
Decapitatin' Crunch
Foulball Flakes
Quits
Snoot Loops
Rice Krispbees

SPECS
Contains (5) 5x7 oversized cards
Printed on Wacky Package Sticker Stock

http://www.topps.com/shop-entertainment-brands/garbage-pail-kids/gpk-stickers/comic-con/topps-wacky-packages-comic-con-set.html

Offline sco(o)t

• Looking:Postcard Ser4 BUGWEISER Smokin' Joe sketch
Re: SDCC 2016 Wacky Exclusives - NOT!!
« Reply #17 on: August 12, 2016, 06:46:09 PM »
comic con set now for sale on the website.

anyone actually believe these are on sticker stock? yeah, me neither.
------------------------------------------------
TOPPS WACKY PACKAGES COMIC CON SET
$20.00
SKU: ARTGPK-16C2S-16SDCC-SET07

Each character set contains 5 5x7 stickers. The checklist is as follows...
Decapitatin' Crunch
Foulball Flakes
Quits
Snoot Loops
Rice Krispbees

SPECS
Contains (5) 5x7 oversized cards
Printed on Wacky Package Sticker Stock

http://www.topps.com/shop-entertainment-brands/garbage-pail-kids/gpk-stickers/comic-con/topps-wacky-packages-comic-con-set.html

This appears to be (or to be the same titles as) the set from the San Diego 2015 Comic Con, although they don't give a year or specific venue on the Topps' site. I have seen these on ebay selling for about $40 so the $20 price isn't bad. This was kind of a Bhob Stewart commemorative set. This is the back of the DECAPITATIN' CRUNCH card:

The other cards have the same logo on the back, but not the Bhob Stewart article. I wonder if the set Topps is currently selling has the same reverse sides.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2016, 06:48:37 PM by sco(o)t »
aka Scot Leibacher (no trademark)