Author Topic: Advice for a beginner?  (Read 5510 times)

Offline monsterkid

Advice for a beginner?
« on: June 28, 2016, 08:34:53 PM »
Hi Gang-  I am actually a vintage monster toy collector, and I am brand new here- I collected all the Wacky Packages back in the early 70s in a Chicago suburb at age 7-9 yrs old.  My brothers and I covered an entire dresser with them and the local newspaper came and took a photo of us for the human interest section and called it "Fun with badges"  Anyway I forgot about Wackys for over 40 years until I bought a binder full of a couple hundred of them at the swap meet on a whim.  The guy said he got them in a storage locker auction and did not know anything about them.  They are in protective pages and I think in pretty good condition.  I have tried to do a bit of research, learning about tan backs, ludlow backs, PSA grading, corner quality etc.  Then I found this forum.

So I don't want to breach any etiquette or make a fool of myself, but would it be appropriate to share a link of the WPs I have and get and get a sort of baseline establishing idea if my collection or any of the individual specimens are interesting or worth getting graded?  Thanks- let me know and I will post the link, I can tell I have found the definitive authority on the subject.  I have had fun reading all the topics and learning about the wacky world of Wacky Packages.

Offline bandaches

• http://www.wackypackage.com/
    • Visit my Wacky Pack Website
Re: Advice for a beginner?
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2016, 09:36:05 PM »
Hi Gang-  I am actually a vintage monster toy collector, and I am brand new here- I collected all the Wacky Packages back in the early 70s in a Chicago suburb at age 7-9 yrs old.  My brothers and I covered an entire dresser with them and the local newspaper came and took a photo of us for the human interest section and called it "Fun with badges"  Anyway I forgot about Wackys for over 40 years until I bought a binder full of a couple hundred of them at the swap meet on a whim.  The guy said he got them in a storage locker auction and did not know anything about them.  They are in protective pages and I think in pretty good condition.  I have tried to do a bit of research, learning about tan backs, ludlow backs, PSA grading, corner quality etc.  Then I found this forum.

So I don't want to breach any etiquette or make a fool of myself, but would it be appropriate to share a link of the WPs I have and get and get a sort of baseline establishing idea if my collection or any of the individual specimens are interesting or worth getting graded?  Thanks- let me know and I will post the link, I can tell I have found the definitive authority on the subject.  I have had fun reading all the topics and learning about the wacky world of Wacky Packages.
You came to the right place, ask away, we are here to help.  I created this grading guide to allow for common terminology for types of flaws.
http://www.wackypackage.com/Wacky%20Packs/GradingGuide/gradeguide.html
Contact me at bandaches@yahoo.com as I have tons of wackys for sale!  Visit my website http://www.wackypackage.com/

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2016, 04:37:10 AM »

Welcome to the forum!  Absolutely, feel free to post a link - we love looking at Wackys!!

Offline Tom Keen

« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2016, 07:03:03 AM »
You came to the right place, ask away, we are here to help.  I created this grading guide to allow for common terminology for types of flaws.
http://www.wackypackage.com/Wacky%20Packs/GradingGuide/gradeguide.html
Have you tried to correlate your grades and values to PSA grades?  I ask because I think your MINT is PSA9/10 which would command more than double PSA7/8(Near mint).  I realize locking such scales in stone is impossible and perhaps aligning to PSA pricing which seems to be a charade in itself as they now use decimals in grades isn't worth while.  Just a thought.

Offline monsterkid

« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2016, 09:16:16 AM »
OK here is a link to an online gallery of the Wacky collection I got, let me know if you have any trouble viewing it.  I will be interested to hear if any of these are rare or interesting.  These are mostly tan backs btw with a few white backs

https://www.smugmug.com/gallery/n-jdLSBK/

Thanks!

Offline NationalSpittoon

« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2016, 10:12:13 AM »
OK here is a link to an online gallery of the Wacky collection I got, let me know if you have any trouble viewing it.  I will be interested to hear if any of these are rare or interesting.  These are mostly tan backs btw with a few white backs

https://www.smugmug.com/gallery/n-jdLSBK/

Thanks!

The toughest card I saw was the Grime Heavy Chunks which is a rarer variation of the common Grime Dusty. All look of good shape except of course borderless or restuck. Nice set if you ask me.

Offline bigtomi

« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2016, 10:13:00 AM »
Nice. Mostly commons, though you do have some later and earlier series in there. Unfortunately, a few are missing their border. The only one of note I could see was you have a Grime Heavy Chunks. Rarer than Dusty-Greasy and worth $50-$100 depending on condition. How much did you pay for these, if I may ask?

Offline NationalSpittoon

« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2016, 10:14:32 AM »
Also, some prices depend on the backs. For example, 13th or 3rd whites go for more than tans. Or, tans for first, etc.

Offline Jean Nutty

« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2016, 12:14:41 PM »
Hi Gang-  I am actually a vintage monster toy collector, and I am brand new here- I collected all the Wacky Packages back in the early 70s in a Chicago suburb at age 7-9 yrs old.  My brothers and I covered an entire dresser with them and the local newspaper came and took a photo of us for the human interest section and called it "Fun with badges" 

Welcome to the forum!

Was your Wacky plastered dresser featured with you and your brothers in the newspaper photo?

If so, by any slim chance do you still have the clipping?

Offline crackedjerk

« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2016, 02:38:17 PM »
Hi Gang-  I am actually a vintage monster toy collector, and I am brand new here- I collected all the Wacky Packages back in the early 70s in a Chicago suburb at age 7-9 yrs old.  My brothers and I covered an entire dresser with them and the local newspaper came and took a photo of us for the human interest section and called it "Fun with badges" 

Nice collection!  There are others more knowledgeable than I about what you have, but it looks like you have a great trip down memory lane there.

Which Chicago suburb did you grow up in back in the 70's?  I grew up in Deerfield and collected Wackys very hard core from series 1-8 and then trailed off a bit for the next 8 series.  Been back collecting, though, for almost 20 years now since I picked up a run of series 4-8 back in '97.

Welcome to the forum!

Offline vahsurfer

« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2016, 04:23:26 PM »
WELCOME!!! To our Wacky World!

Offline monsterkid

« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2016, 08:03:45 PM »
Hey gang- thanks everybody for the warm welcome.  I have that photo somewhere of myself and my brothers with the dresser that was in the newspaper in 1973 but at the moment my house looks like I have an audition to be on Hoarders coming up, so I can't find it- HOWEVER, I do have the dresser and I will take some photos of it and post them along with some closeups of the stickers.

So there is a funny story about the collection I posted I think you will like.  There a swap meet about a mile from my house every Thursday.  I go once in awhile to look for weird old magazines, vintage monster toys and junk in general.  About a month ago there was a guy with a big gross old van and a table full of absolute crap, incomplete golf club sets, gigantic rusted tools from the 40s,  a huge plastic bin full of orphaned AC adapters, worn out rollerblades- you know the stuff, but he was also selling a ton of baseball cards AND buried way under was this whole binder full of Wackys, and I was thinking wow, I loved these as a kid, I know they are collectible I just can't recall if they are worth anything. It was too much hassle to try to research them on my phone in the sun, plus I had to urinate really bad, so I just bought Capn Crud, and took a few photos of them to research later.  I asked how much and the guy said $2 each.  Hmmm OK.  A few days later I got into some Heineken fueled late night research and found out there is a living, vibrant Wacky collecting community including this forum and the absolutely bizarre world of Ebay Wacky commerce, where I saw a Capt Crud that sold for $30 something, and few of the ones I photographed at the swap meet selling in completed auctions for really amazing prices, especially PSA graded ones, including a Bloodwieser selling for $455 on May 17.

OK I'm in, I thought- I am going to go get those wackys for $2 each if they are still there.  I love all of it, the collecting, weird old vintage stuff we liked as kids, the buying, the gambling, meeting other people who "get it" on internet forums, etc.  So the next week I went back with $300 cash I was willing to pay the guy for the Wackys if they were still there.  I got there and was wearing a hat hoping the guy did not recognize me as having shown interest the last week and possibly determined some value.  There was an old guy standing there just flipping through the Wackys for about 5 minutes I was afraid I was gong to lose them.. but he left and without seeming too eager I went and looked at them again...tan backs...great condition, 1973, 75- the real thing ok lets do it.  So I ask the skinny, nervous, chatty guy "how much?" $2 bucks each.  I said, "Ok well, lets count em up."  There were 198.  So, how much for all of them?  ALL OF EM???   how about a buck each? he says.  Well I did not want to seem too excited, well under what I was prepared to pay so I said how about $150?  The guy was so excited he said OK what about $175?  Sure I'll do that I said, I almost felt bad- these could be worth thousands.  So I pull out 9 $20 bills and said do you have $5 change?  The  guy pulls a $5 off his roll and he was shaking, and he held out his hand to shake on it and says almost stuttering "so...its a deal??"  Yeah, sure, I said and shook his hand.  He handed me the five and took the wad of $20s and just held them up over his head and started screaming, YEAH!!!! WOOOOOOOO!!! Hey Marco!!! I just hit the jackpot!!!!!! YEAH WOOOO WEEEE!!!! His buddy looks back with a big thumbs up and everyone is staring at me to see who the sucker who just got taken is.

At this point I was sort of grinning, a little embarrassed and waving to all my new fans, as the biggest idiot to ever visit a junk sale, but I was still glad I scored the Wackys.  So I said "hey you know, I think its always important in these deals that both guys feel good about it, so can I put you down as being ok with it?"  To which he said "Sorry man I didn't mean to make you feel bad, it's just such a great feeling to get rid of that sh*t after hauling it around for so long!"  (...which was my favorite part of the entire episode by far.)  I asked him if he had a bag, and he said "Have I got a bag for you??? Brother-Man, I got the best bag ever for you!"  and he gave me actually a pretty nice tyvek carry bag with a storage company logo on it.  As I walked away, he was dancing and yelling, still waving the money.  He was as excited as I would be over maybe $50,000, and I guess I made his day.

So, I got the Wackys for $175, we will see what they are worth.  It doesn't matter because for the $175 I also got the story which I will tell about a hundred times at dinner parties/family reunions whatever, is actually pretty priceless.  Plus I can do a perfect imitation of the guy celebrating at me being such a moron to buy all those Wacky Packages for $175, which is the funniest part.

Anyway that's the story of my new Wacky collection.

Offline NationalSpittoon

« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2016, 04:08:51 AM »
Hey gang- thanks everybody for the warm welcome.  I have that photo somewhere of myself and my brothers with the dresser that was in the newspaper in 1973 but at the moment my house looks like I have an audition to be on Hoarders coming up, so I can't find it- HOWEVER, I do have the dresser and I will take some photos of it and post them along with some closeups of the stickers.

So there is a funny story about the collection I posted I think you will like.  There a swap meet about a mile from my house every Thursday.  I go once in awhile to look for weird old magazines, vintage monster toys and junk in general.  About a month ago there was a guy with a big gross old van and a table full of absolute crap, incomplete golf club sets, gigantic rusted tools from the 40s,  a huge plastic bin full of orphaned AC adapters, worn out rollerblades- you know the stuff, but he was also selling a ton of baseball cards AND buried way under was this whole binder full of Wackys, and I was thinking wow, I loved these as a kid, I know they are collectible I just can't recall if they are worth anything. It was too much hassle to try to research them on my phone in the sun, plus I had to urinate really bad, so I just bought Capn Crud, and took a few photos of them to research later.  I asked how much and the guy said $2 each.  Hmmm OK.  A few days later I got into some Heineken fueled late night research and found out there is a living, vibrant Wacky collecting community including this forum and the absolutely bizarre world of Ebay Wacky commerce, where I saw a Capt Crud that sold for $30 something, and few of the ones I photographed at the swap meet selling in completed auctions for really amazing prices, especially PSA graded ones, including a Bloodwieser selling for $455 on May 17.

OK I'm in, I thought- I am going to go get those wackys for $2 each if they are still there.  I love all of it, the collecting, weird old vintage stuff we liked as kids, the buying, the gambling, meeting other people who "get it" on internet forums, etc.  So the next week I went back with $300 cash I was willing to pay the guy for the Wackys if they were still there.  I got there and was wearing a hat hoping the guy did not recognize me as having shown interest the last week and possibly determined some value.  There was an old guy standing there just flipping through the Wackys for about 5 minutes I was afraid I was gong to lose them.. but he left and without seeming too eager I went and looked at them again...tan backs...great condition, 1973, 75- the real thing ok lets do it.  So I ask the skinny, nervous, chatty guy "how much?" $2 bucks each.  I said, "Ok well, lets count em up."  There were 198.  So, how much for all of them?  ALL OF EM???   how about a buck each? he says.  Well I did not want to seem too excited, well under what I was prepared to pay so I said how about $150?  The guy was so excited he said OK what about $175?  Sure I'll do that I said, I almost felt bad- these could be worth thousands.  So I pull out 9 $20 bills and said do you have $5 change?  The  guy pulls a $5 off his roll and he was shaking, and he held out his hand to shake on it and says almost stuttering "so...its a deal??"  Yeah, sure, I said and shook his hand.  He handed me the five and took the wad of $20s and just held them up over his head and started screaming, YEAH!!!! WOOOOOOOO!!! Hey Marco!!! I just hit the jackpot!!!!!! YEAH WOOOO WEEEE!!!! His buddy looks back with a big thumbs up and everyone is staring at me to see who the sucker who just got taken is.

At this point I was sort of grinning, a little embarrassed and waving to all my new fans, as the biggest idiot to ever visit a junk sale, but I was still glad I scored the Wackys.  So I said "hey you know, I think its always important in these deals that both guys feel good about it, so can I put you down as being ok with it?"  To which he said "Sorry man I didn't mean to make you feel bad, it's just such a great feeling to get rid of that sh*t after hauling it around for so long!"  (...which was my favorite part of the entire episode by far.)  I asked him if he had a bag, and he said "Have I got a bag for you??? Brother-Man, I got the best bag ever for you!"  and he gave me actually a pretty nice tyvek carry bag with a storage company logo on it.  As I walked away, he was dancing and yelling, still waving the money.  He was as excited as I would be over maybe $50,000, and I guess I made his day.

So, I got the Wackys for $175, we will see what they are worth.  It doesn't matter because for the $175 I also got the story which I will tell about a hundred times at dinner parties/family reunions whatever, is actually pretty priceless.  Plus I can do a perfect imitation of the guy celebrating at me being such a moron to buy all those Wacky Packages for $175, which is the funniest part.

Sadly, that's how you get cheap gems. You have to hunt EVERYTHING. Even in the least suspecting spots, they might be there. And, they might just be really nice! What's really good is when the owner doesn't know what they're worth.

Offline Tom Keen

« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2016, 12:56:20 PM »

How many teeth did the guy have?  Chain smoker?