Author Topic: ANS Off Centered?  (Read 8085 times)

Offline NationalSpittoon

ANS Off Centered?
« on: June 26, 2016, 06:46:14 AM »
Are O/C ANS cards common? I've looked through a lot of my spares and I found a Zilla Wafers that is O/C to the left, and has a part of another sticker on the right. It's not O/C vertically. I'm just curious if these are common, because I've never seen one before.

Offline koduck

• Administrator
  • Make it snappy!
Re: ANS Off Centered?
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2016, 07:55:33 AM »
Today's production equipment is generally better (the finishing, not necessarily the printing itself) but errors (off center, irregular cuts, etc) are not unusual.

Offline NationalSpittoon

« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2016, 10:00:45 AM »
Today's production equipment is generally better (the finishing, not necessarily the printing itself) but errors (off center, irregular cuts, etc) are not unusual.

Alright, thanks.

Offline Choke_Wagon

• Yeeeeeeeee-ha!
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2016, 10:21:55 AM »
Also the cutting machines of today are are all computer precise programmed so the operator doesnt have to eye any cut. The machine of the 70's were more reliant on the operator to cut with marked guides. Hence you dont see many off centered cards in the modern era.

Offline quas

« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2016, 10:39:40 AM »
Also the cutting machines of today are are all computer precise programmed so the operator doesnt have to eye any cut. The machine of the 70's were more reliant on the operator to cut with marked guides. Hence you dont see many off centered cards in the modern era.

I've got quite a batch of off-centered Chrome cards.......but just a fluke......these are truly the exception....
Marc

Offline All-Brain

• All things 79-80 Reissue
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2016, 04:24:29 PM »
I have one magnet that is not die cut. Its the only one to my knowledge I have heard of being found.

Offline Choke_Wagon

• Yeeeeeeeee-ha!
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2016, 07:03:47 PM »
I've got quite a batch of off-centered Chrome cards.......but just a fluke......these are truly the exception....

That Chrome Substrate is a bear to work with both in printing and cutting. My print shop declines commercial jobs like these because it gives the press fits. The reflective material throws off the sensors on the press.

Offline NationalSpittoon

« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2016, 04:17:39 PM »
I have one magnet that is not die cut. Its the only one to my knowledge I have heard of being found.

Can you put a picture of it on the thread? I'm curious to see this.

Offline All-Brain

• All things 79-80 Reissue
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2016, 06:52:08 PM »
If I can find it I sure will. Since moving back into the house after the house fire I have not been able to find a few things:(

Online RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2016, 03:25:22 AM »
Since this has morphed into general ANS printing issues, I'll note that I have a handful of ANS2 stickers that have upside down backs and incorrect die-cuts. 

Offline NationalSpittoon

« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2016, 04:27:27 AM »
Since this has morphed into general ANS printing issues, I'll note that I have a handful of ANS2 stickers that have upside down backs and incorrect die-cuts.

Was ANS 5 supposed to have upside down backs? Because I don't know much about ANS 5, but all mine do.

Online RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2016, 05:05:22 AM »
Was ANS 5 supposed to have upside down backs? Because I don't know much about ANS 5, but all mine do.

ANS 5 was printed with upside down backs, but as I recall, it was unintentional.  What a pain!!!  All titles with non-puzzle backs had two back versions, and it was possible to assemble a set of 1-55 without getting a checklist.  Topps had a similar problem with the GPK series that was released immediately before.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2016, 05:07:25 AM by RawGoo »

Offline sco(o)t

• Looking:Postcard Ser4 BUGWEISER Smokin' Joe sketch
« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2016, 07:59:07 AM »
ANS 5 was printed with upside down backs, but as I recall, it was unintentional.  What a pain!!!  All titles with non-puzzle backs had two back versions, and it was possible to assemble a set of 1-55 without getting a checklist.  Topps had a similar problem with the GPK series that was released immediately before.

I remember that as being quite odd for a company who has made trading cards since at least 1938. I wonder if they have ever heard of 9 pocket binder pages. Oh, right. At one time they put some in the binders they sold us. Sorry for the testy and irritable tone of this post, but SNARK week starts this weekend!    :P  Or did I mis-hear that commercial?
aka Scot Leibacher (no trademark)

Offline mikecho

« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2016, 11:26:25 AM »
I once saw a ANS6 foil sticker (Campy) that was off-centered. Do foil cards have the same problem as Chrome ones?

Offline bigtomi

« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2016, 03:21:54 PM »
Do foil cards have the same problem as Chrome ones?
Yes...as well as an inferiority complex.

Offline mikecho

« Reply #15 on: August 16, 2016, 05:53:08 PM »
I don't get it. What does that mean exactly?

Offline bigtomi

« Reply #16 on: August 17, 2016, 03:36:31 PM »
I don't get it. What does that mean exactly?
If you have to explain the joke.....