Author Topic: TV Shows on DVD  (Read 12387 times)

Offline blunderbrent

Re: TV Shows on DVD
« Reply #35 on: July 22, 2010, 01:46:48 PM »
I agree!  Dexter and Breaking Bad are awesome shows.  I have kind of gotten burned out on House though.
I'm with ya on House, but I OD'ed on it. Every night when tucking in, I would put House on, for the first half of this year after the last season ended, going back thru previous seasons. Finally, my brain wouldn't let me watch it anymore, so I'm taking a break til the new season. (I might be a little obsessive). I guess I am just so fascinated with the character Hugh Laurie created (I was a big fan of his from the BBC Jeeves series). So misanthropic, yet at the same time humane, witty, funny ect, saving others while himself totally broken. It is rare to see real human complexity played out like that. Most TV has been so cliched that it does not dare explore the large grey areas between good and bad. House does the right thing, but is rude, insensitive and can be counted on saying the wrong thing, but for the right reasons. Before in TVland, when someone does the right thing, they say the right things and the show oozes with feel goodism. I guess I like Dexter and Breaking Bad for the same reasons. Characters who have lept off the edge of normal social expectations, but still operate within a reasonable range of humanity. For TV, this is a major sea change. You could get this massively complex stuff in literature for a long time, but it has now lept off the page and onto TV sets. It's a new era for sure.

Offline BustedFinger

• Just a simple collector. No books, no websites, no arguments!
  • I wonder where this text will appear?
« Reply #36 on: July 22, 2010, 04:43:16 PM »
Breaking Bad is one of my favorites!, and many people never heard of it because it's only on AMC channel.

Another show that I started getting into is "Sons of Anarchy".
Giving "The Hobby" the finger since 1999!

Offline Playskull

« Reply #37 on: July 22, 2010, 06:01:08 PM »
House went downhill a little bit when they brought in those new doctors. Still a great show, but I can definitely relate to what others said about burning out on it.

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #38 on: July 24, 2010, 11:46:22 PM »
House went downhill a little bit when they brought in those new doctors. Still a great show, but I can definitely relate to what others said about burning out on it.

don't get too worked up about this. It's only a TV show. Anyone mention Monk!  ;D

Offline Maddie-Boy

« Reply #39 on: July 26, 2010, 09:14:14 PM »
Speaking of classic TV shows, I was at Wally-World a week ago this last Saturday, and saw that they had the entire "epic series" of the 1979-1981 Buck Rogers TV show for $15.  I would have bought it then and there, but I'd just spent $90 plus shipping the day before for an action-figure set of all 11 "incarnations" of the Doctor from "Doctor Who".  There's a "classic" TV show, although it's a British show.  I'd been into it pretty seriously in the 1980's when they showed episodes on our local PBS station, and I'm enjoying the new version of it now (the season just ended about 3 weeks ago).

Offline deadpresidentsvisa

« Reply #40 on: July 26, 2010, 10:19:58 PM »
Speaking of classic TV shows, I was at Wally-World a week ago this last Saturday, and saw that they had the entire "epic series" of the 1979-1981 Buck Rogers TV show for $15.  I would have bought it then and there, but I'd just spent $90 plus shipping the day before for an action-figure set of all 11 "incarnations" of the Doctor from "Doctor Who".  There's a "classic" TV show, although it's a British show.  I'd been into it pretty seriously in the 1980's when they showed episodes on our local PBS station, and I'm enjoying the new version of it now (the season just ended about 3 weeks ago).
Let me get you up to speed,Brad wants to highlight my ID in red and I am adament that it be purple.
"DID YOU TRY MONKEYING WITH IT" FROM *THE HOT ROCK*....ROBERT REDFORD...ZERO MOSTEL

Online RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #41 on: July 27, 2010, 04:29:53 AM »
Speaking of classic TV shows, I was at Wally-World a week ago this last Saturday, and saw that they had the entire "epic series" of the 1979-1981 Buck Rogers TV show for $15.  I would have bought it then and there, but I'd just spent $90 plus shipping the day before for an action-figure set of all 11 "incarnations" of the Doctor from "Doctor Who".  There's a "classic" TV show, although it's a British show.  I'd been into it pretty seriously in the 1980's when they showed episodes on our local PBS station, and I'm enjoying the new version of it now (the season just ended about 3 weeks ago).
Thanks for the heads up, I'll hit the store for the Buck Rogers at that price!

Can you imagine how many discs it would take for Dr. Who??  I watched that on PBS back in the 80's as well, even assembled and painted a 5" metal figure of the Tom Baker incarnation for my former boyfriend.  The scarf took a while to paint, and the bag of Jelly Babies was tough!  We went to conventions and met Troughton, Pertwee, Tom Baker, Davidson, Colin Baker, and McCoy.  I understand from a co-worker that they are officially ending the series now, but I didn't think he'd used up all his regenerations, which has me confused.  I lost the Sci-Fi channel a while ago, and haven't been able to keep up.

Offline Dead

« Reply #42 on: September 26, 2010, 07:59:42 PM »
I could tell you how many discs it would take to have the entire run of Doctor Who, but I'm too lazy to count up my collection right now.

Rest assured though, the show isn't ending.  It's pretty much guaranteed to have at least 3 more seasons.  They've already begun filming the 2011 series, and since 2013 will be its 50th anniversary, I just don't see them canceling it right before a milestone like that.

And I'm *one* more paycheck away from getting that 11 Doctors action figure set myself...

Offline Sue Mee

• and Sometimes I'm LipOff
« Reply #43 on: July 25, 2011, 07:25:50 PM »
Do any of you Pinball Machine aficionados  recognize the machine that is in the background in this Andy Griffith episode?

[expando]http://photos.smugmug.com/photos/i-pLGwxxT/0/X2/i-pLGwxxT-X2.jpg[/expando]
Sue Mee is AKA LipOff
My Home-Made Wackys

Online RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #44 on: April 08, 2012, 08:54:24 PM »
WKRP In Cinncinnatti suffered the same as Jump Street (i.e. lack of proper musical licensing for DVD release).  I was very glad that when FOX did Ally McBeal last year for US release that they got the full music rights - the songs were very critically tied to the plots, so getting the clearance was critical to make that show work for DVD release.

Antenna TV just started showing WKRP tonight.  Did anyone catch it?  I'm curious whether the episodes airing will be using the original music in the background, as opposed to the altered music on the Season 1 DVD release.

Next Sunday at 10:00 PM EDT they'll be showing the Thanksgiving episode!

Offline MadMike

« Reply #45 on: April 08, 2012, 09:15:21 PM »
Antenna TV just started showing WKRP tonight.  Did anyone catch it?  I'm curious whether the episodes airing will be using the original music in the background, as opposed to the altered music on the Season 1 DVD release.

What a fabulous topic to read.  I had not seen these posts until now.  What fun reading.  I have to mention a few other shows that I bought that were not mentioned. 

A TV series called "Murder One" was one of my favorites of all time.  It only had two seasons and was outstanding to watch. 

As far as other series, I loved a show called "Wiseguy" that came out in the mid to late 80's I believe. 

Also a show that came out shortly after that was "Renegade" which I also enjoyed and would love to see again. 

Last, but certainly not least, my all time favorite comedy "TAXI."  Those episodes never get boring for me.  Great humor by all.

Offline bigtomi

« Reply #46 on: April 09, 2012, 09:02:57 AM »
I could SWEAR turkeys could fly....

Online RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #47 on: April 10, 2012, 04:24:16 AM »
I could SWEAR turkeys could fly....

Oh, the humanity!

Offline Jean Nutty

« Reply #48 on: April 11, 2012, 08:58:22 PM »

[expando]http://i1184.photobucket.com/albums/z332/rbishop224/Columbo.png[/expando]

Columbo fans, in addition to the series, be sure your DVD collection is complete with the movies, including these classic episodes 

Columbo Goes to the Guillotine with Anthony Andrews
Murder, Smoke, And Shadows with Fisher Stevens
Sex and The Married Detective with Lindsay Crouse
Grand Deceptions with Robert Foxworth
Murder: A Self Portrait with Patrick Bauchau, Fionnula Flanagan and Shera Danese
Columbo Cries Wolf with Ian Buchanan and Deidra Hall
Agenda for Murder with Patrick McGoohan
Rest in Peace, Mrs. Columbo
Butterfly in Shades of Grey with William Shatner
Undercover with Tyne Daly and Ed Begley, Jr
Uneasy Lies the Crown with cameos by Nancy Walker and Dick Sargent
Murder in Malibu
Columbo Goes to College with Robert Culp
Caution: Murder Can Be Hazardous to Your Health with George Hamilton
Columbo and the Murder of a Rock Star with Dabney Coleman
It's All in the Game with Faye Dunaway
Death Hits The Jackpot with Rip Torn
No Time To Die with Thomas Calabro
A Bird In The Hand with Tyne Daly
Strange Bedfellows with George Wendt
A Trace of Murder with Barry Corbin
Ashes to Ashes with Patrick McGoohan
Murder With Too Many Notes with Billy Connolly
Columbo Likes the Nightlife with Matthew Rhys

(Is Rip Torn the coolest name ever?! The name sure suits him.)

Offline Jean Nutty

« Reply #49 on: April 11, 2012, 09:07:04 PM »
I'm with ya on House, but I OD'ed on it. Every night when tucking in, I would put House on, for the first half of this year after the last season ended, going back thru previous seasons. Finally, my brain wouldn't let me watch it anymore, so I'm taking a break til the new season. (I might be a little obsessive). I guess I am just so fascinated with the character Hugh Laurie created (I was a big fan of his from the BBC Jeeves series). So misanthropic, yet at the same time humane, witty, funny ect, saving others while himself totally broken. It is rare to see real human complexity played out like that. Most TV has been so cliched that it does not dare explore the large grey areas between good and bad. House does the right thing, but is rude, insensitive and can be counted on saying the wrong thing, but for the right reasons. Before in TVland, when someone does the right thing, they say the right things and the show oozes with feel goodism. I guess I like Dexter and Breaking Bad for the same reasons. Characters who have lept off the edge of normal social expectations, but still operate within a reasonable range of humanity. For TV, this is a major sea change. You could get this massively complex stuff in literature for a long time, but it has now lept off the page and onto TV sets. It's a new era for sure.

I was reading back through this thread and ended up looking up the word misanthropic, which means hatred of the human species or hatred of human nature.

And a misanthrope, or misanthropist is someone who holds such view or feeling.

Is anyone here a misanthropist?! Are you still in the closet and want to come out?     {Blunder OD'ed on House    lol     :P}

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #50 on: April 11, 2012, 09:47:18 PM »

[expando]http://i1184.photobucket.com/albums/z332/rbishop224/Columbo.png[/expando]

Columbo fans, in addition to the series, be sure your DVD collection is complete with the movies, including these classic episodes  

Columbo Goes to the Guillotine with Anthony Andrews
Murder, Smoke, And Shadows with Fisher Stevens
Sex and The Married Detective with Lindsay Crouse
Grand Deceptions with Robert Foxworth
Murder: A Self Portrait with Patrick Bauchau, Fionnula Flanagan and Shera Danese
Columbo Cries Wolf with Ian Buchanan and Deidra Hall
Agenda for Murder with Patrick McGoohan
Rest in Peace, Mrs. Columbo
Butterfly in Shades of Grey with William Shatner
Undercover with Tyne Daly and Ed Begley, Jr
Uneasy Lies the Crown with cameos by Nancy Walker and Dick Sargent
Murder in Malibu
Columbo Goes to College with Robert Culp
Caution: Murder Can Be Hazardous to Your Health with George Hamilton
Columbo and the Murder of a Rock Star with Dabney Coleman
It's All in the Game with Faye Dunaway
Death Hits The Jackpot with Rip Torn
No Time To Die with Thomas Calabro
A Bird In The Hand with Tyne Daly
Strange Bedfellows with George Wendt
A Trace of Murder with Barry Corbin
Ashes to Ashes with Patrick McGoohan
Murder With Too Many Notes with Billy Connolly
Columbo Likes the Nightlife with Matthew Rhys

(Is Rip Torn the coolest name ever?! The name sure suits him.)

Columbo? Really?  :P
What about Columbo meets the phantom or Columbo meets Dracula....HaHaHa :great:
« Last Edit: April 11, 2012, 09:49:36 PM by BumChex »

Offline BustedFinger

« Reply #51 on: October 10, 2014, 06:25:34 PM »

Offline BustedFinger

« Reply #52 on: October 10, 2014, 06:40:59 PM »
And someone earlier in this thread mentioned that WKRP in Cincinnati had never been released before due to music licensing issues.  But it looks like that set is also coming out on Oct 28:

http://www.amazon.com/WKRP-In-Cincinnati-Complete-Series/dp/B00KYCA4QY/ref=pd_bxgy_mov_img_y

Offline Alexeirex

« Reply #53 on: October 10, 2014, 09:29:15 PM »
I keep hoping that they release the 2nd and 3rd seasons of 227 on DVD. Yeah, really, I do...
Alex

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #54 on: October 11, 2014, 12:09:39 AM »
And someone earlier in this thread mentioned that WKRP in Cincinnati had never been released before due to music licensing issues.  But it looks like that set is also coming out on Oct 28:

http://www.amazon.com/WKRP-In-Cincinnati-Complete-Series/dp/B00KYCA4QY/ref=pd_bxgy_mov_img_y

Thanks, just ordered it.

Offline Pupsi-Cola

« Reply #55 on: November 09, 2014, 07:43:57 PM »
Surprised that no one has mentioned this here yet:

http://herocomplex.latimes.com/tv/batman-the-complete-television-series-gets-official-release-date/

Holy trip down memory lane Bat-fans, The Batman t.v. series on Blue Ray/DVD is due out this Tues.

Online RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #56 on: November 12, 2014, 06:05:42 AM »

Holy trip down memory lane Bat-fans, The Batman t.v. series on Blue Ray/DVD is due out this Tues.

Has anyone ordered the Blu-Ray set?  I'm curious about the 44 "vintage" trading cards.

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #57 on: November 12, 2014, 07:31:52 AM »
Has anyone ordered the Blu-Ray set?  I'm curious about the 44 "vintage" trading cards.

I was pretty close to ordering but in the back of my mind I'm thinking Amazon may have a black friday sale on this box set so I'm holding out.