Author Topic: 11th Annual Officially Unofficial National Wacky Packages Day!  (Read 42816 times)

Offline koduck

• Administrator
  • Make it snappy!
Re: 11th Annual Officially Unofficial National Wacky Packages Day!
« Reply #70 on: June 10, 2016, 02:11:36 AM »
Agreed! There's only one Norm Saunders! Thanks for sharing these very cool pics!

So, I hope everyone enjoyed the 11th Annual Officially Unofficial National Wacky Packages Day! Time to start making plans for next year! Something worthy of a 50th Anniversary...

UPDATE: The promo cards should be ready to mail late next week (around 6/17)! I'll post here if that changes.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2016, 03:21:33 AM by koduck »

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #71 on: June 10, 2016, 03:26:31 AM »
Agreed! There's only one Norm Saunders! Thanks for sharing these very cool pics!

So, I hope everyone enjoyed the 11th Annual Officially Unofficial National Wacky Packages Day! Time to start making plans for next year! Something worthy of a 50th Anniversary...

UPDATE: The promo cards should be ready to mail late next week (around 6/17)! I'll post here if that changes.

Maybe by next year I'll be able to think up a trivia question   :-[

Offline koduck

• Administrator
  • Make it snappy!
« Reply #72 on: June 10, 2016, 04:21:13 AM »
You and me both! Time to put on the thinkin' caps!

Offline Ruffs

« Reply #73 on: June 10, 2016, 10:40:12 AM »

That was a fun ride down memory lane. With as many times this thread was read too bad there weren't more stories too read. Oh well. I guess there is still room for more  stories.
Thanks again Neil.

Offline BustedFinger

• Just a simple collector. No books, no websites, no arguments!
  • I wonder where this text will appear?
« Reply #74 on: June 10, 2016, 01:58:19 PM »
In 1973 I was 8 and was collecting Wacky Packages (usually bought from the ice cream man, a guy in a white van)
and I was just beginning to experiment with shoplifting. I would go down to the grocery market and pick up a bag of
Wonder bread, and carry it to another area in the store, and set it on a shelf. I would wander around a bit, and then go
back to the shelf, and quickly untie the bag, and stick my hands in there, groping for the sticker. Somehow my mom
caught wind of this activity, and I was punished somehow, or at least harshly scolded. I never molested Wonder bags
again, but that was far from my last time shoplifting.

Ha - Ha!  Great Story.  I did something similar.  My parents would never buy Wonder Bread.  It was too expensive.  So I used to go into the Grocery store and steal Wackys out of the Wonder loaves too.  Only I didn't untie the bags.  I would just rip a hole in the plastic and take them out that way!
Giving "The Hobby" the finger since 1999!

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #75 on: June 10, 2016, 02:39:11 PM »
Ha - Ha!  Great Story.  I did something similar.  My parents would never buy Wonder Bread.  It was too expensive.  So I used to go into the Grocery store and steal Wackys out of the Wonder loaves too.  Only I didn't untie the bags.  I would just rip a hole in the plastic and take them out that way!

I used to move the sticker around so I could see if it was one I needed, which probably resulted in some squished bread.  My mom would have stopped buying me packs as a punishment if I had ripped bread bags in the store.

Offline Choke_Wagon

• Yeeeeeeeee-ha!
« Reply #76 on: June 10, 2016, 10:20:12 PM »

Maybe thats why you go under Bustedfinger?  :] :]

Offline Monsterettes

« Reply #77 on: June 11, 2016, 07:34:50 AM »
This past week I made a pilgrimage to the NYC Brownstone in the upper west side where all the original Wacky Magic was created - The one and only Norman Saunders. Words cant express what an influence he has been in my life and also one of the best illustrators ever.

Cool pilgrimage Choke_Wagon!  For a year I lived in an apartment at 316 West 104th Street -- two doors down from Norman Saunders' brownstone, which is 312. (The building I lived in is to the right of the one with the red fire escape in the photo above). I don't think Norm was living at 312 anymore when I moved into 316. He sold the building sometime in 1987 and I got my lease at the end of 1987 or early 1988 (hard to remember exactly when now!) I hadn't rediscovered wacky packages yet, so even if Norm and I had overlapped for a month or two, I would never have recognized him. But it's cool to think I lived for a while on the street where wackys were born! 

Offline Monsterettes

« Reply #78 on: June 11, 2016, 07:56:14 AM »
I stuck my wackys on the actual products around my house.  My mom recalls finding bandache stuck to the Band-Aid box, weakies stuck to the cereral box. I found my school books 30 years later in the attic and saw that I had stuck all my extra series 4's including bum and choke.  Lord only knows how many rares I stuck in those days.
I love that you stuck wackys on the real products, brilliant!

Offline g.u.e.s.t.

« Reply #79 on: June 11, 2016, 08:34:10 AM »
I too cut out the images from the WP poster to fill the gaps in my collection. I wish I had bought two posters and kept one intact.

Offline crackedjerk

« Reply #80 on: June 11, 2016, 08:43:33 AM »
D'oh!  I was busy wrapping up the school year and completely missed Wacky Day!  I did just vote in the poll, though, and while I don't know if I have any great wacky stories, I'll at least share my "origin" story.

During the summer of '73 my parents packed my three brothers and me into the station wagon to take a road trip from  Chicago to Rhode Island to visit some family out there.  I already had a small sticker collection (it seemed to be something kids in the neighborhood did, even if I don't recall any rhyme or reason to what was collected).  When hanging out with my cousins, they introduced me to Wackys.  I was thrilled!  On the morning we packed up to head back to Chicago, we stopped at a drug store and bought a few packs.  Sadly, I forgot those first packs at a hotel in Ohio on the way home.  I was devastated and asked my mom if the hotel would send me the stickers when they were found in our room.  Needless to say, they never made their way back to me, but not long after returning to Chicago, I found them in a local store.  I suppose I assumed the first series would be the entirety of Wackys.  When, some months later, some neighborhood friends showed me series two, it was love at second sight all over again.  I was already a collector of things and knowing there were two series (and more on the way, I hoped), made it seem that much more fun to me.  I recall my interest starting to wane a bit by series 9 or so, and I don't recall buying any after series 12, but those early series are definitely seared into my mind as one of the wonderfully fun things about childhood.

Offline Choke_Wagon

• Yeeeeeeeee-ha!
« Reply #81 on: June 12, 2016, 07:33:06 PM »
Cool pilgrimage Choke_Wagon!  For a year I lived in an apartment at 316 West 104th Street -- two doors down from Norman Saunders' brownstone, which is 312. (The building I lived in is to the right of the one with the red fire escape in the photo above). I don't think Norm was living at 312 anymore when I moved into 316. He sold the building sometime in 1987 and I got my lease at the end of 1987 or early 1988 (hard to remember exactly when now!) I hadn't rediscovered wacky packages yet, so even if Norm and I had overlapped for a month or two, I would never have recognized him. But it's cool to think I lived for a while on the street where wackys were born!

Now that is a real cool story. I got most of the directions from his son David Saunders who told me amazing stories of all the art work his dad would create there. He mentioned that this area was a real bad drug area at the time. I dont recall that when I would visit family on 110 Street back in the day but then again, I would stay only for summers. its currently a very high end part of NYC and rent is very steep, dont know if he would have stayed. NYC is becoming a city that will not be able to keep people there soon at the current rate things are at now. Its rather sad.

Offline bigtomi

« Reply #82 on: June 13, 2016, 02:17:16 PM »
NYC is becoming a city that will not be able to keep people there soon at the current rate things are at now. Its rather sad.
Maybe some of you tri-state locals have seen them, but there are TV commercials now along this line. They tout that NYC is getting so expensive with respect to housing costs, that NYPD officers can't afford to live in the very city they protect. That's ridiculous...and just shouldn't be.

Offline Ruffs

« Reply #83 on: June 13, 2016, 02:50:41 PM »
Maybe some of you tri-state locals have seen them, but there are TV commercials now along this line. They tout that NYC is getting so expensive with respect to housing costs, that NYPD officers can't afford to live in the very city they protect. That's ridiculous...and just shouldn't be.
That's why I bailed 20 years ago & bought a house in Florida. I saw the writing on the wall. NYC & Long Island prices were getting ridiculous back then. Now taxes alone will kill you. Right Pat?

Offline Choke_Wagon

• Yeeeeeeeee-ha!
« Reply #84 on: June 13, 2016, 06:48:54 PM »
I have a couples friend who have just regular jobs in upper west side of NYC and they pay $4200 a month for a 2 bedroom >( >(

They cant afford to do much more than a couple nights out, they like that I send them my extra wacky's because they can afford to buy these. I just sent off a box of the MLBs set and they were so happy. Its like sending a CARE Package- remember those?

Norm Saunders would have barffed.

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #85 on: June 14, 2016, 04:05:41 AM »
That's why I bailed 20 years ago & bought a house in Florida. I saw the writing on the wall. NYC & Long Island prices were getting ridiculous back then. Now taxes alone will kill you. Right Pat?

Yeah, property taxes in Suffolk County are obscene.  Taxes on new houses in my area are routinely $15,000 per year or more!  I own a 1,200 sf, 58 year old house, so my taxes aren't so crazy - about $6,100.

Offline Choke_Wagon

• Yeeeeeeeee-ha!
« Reply #86 on: June 14, 2016, 10:46:59 PM »
Yeah, property taxes in Suffolk County are obscene.  Taxes on new houses in my area are routinely $15,000 per year or more!  I own a 1,200 sf, 58 year old house, so my taxes aren't so crazy - about $6,100.

Thats amazing how NY and pretty much Northeast hit people up for taxes. Florida a 2800 sq is roughly $4200 with a 4% discount if you pay by November.  Some rural counties in Florida pay a lot less- My brother-in-law lives in Highland County and his taxes for the same 2800 sq is $1475 but he lives in the boonies.

Offline Alexeirex

« Reply #87 on: June 15, 2016, 12:18:13 AM »
California property taxes, dependent on which county you're in, are about 1-1.5% of the property's value. Doesn't sound like much, but if you live in the S.F. bay area, the property values have skyrocketed. I've had to sell some of my best collectibles on ebay to pay the twice yearly darn taxes....A

Thats amazing how NY and pretty much Northeast hit people up for taxes. Florida a 2800 sq is roughly $4200 with a 4% discount if you pay by November.  Some rural counties in Florida pay a lot less- My brother-in-law lives in Highland County and his taxes for the same 2800 sq is $1475 but he lives in the boonies.

Offline koduck

• Administrator
  • Make it snappy!
« Reply #88 on: June 15, 2016, 08:03:16 AM »
California property taxes, dependent on which county you're in, are about 1-1.5% of the property's value. Doesn't sound like much, but if you live in the S.F. bay area, the property values have skyrocketed. I've had to sell some of my best collectibles on ebay to pay the twice yearly darn taxes....A

Yep, the big coast cities are getting hammered with taxes! Unfortunately, it seems as though the trend is moving into most other regions. I'd guess it's the easiest way to for local governments to make up for budget shortfalls.

Offline ratchet007

« Reply #89 on: June 15, 2016, 10:52:59 AM »
Yep, the big coast cities are getting hammered with taxes! Unfortunately, it seems as though the trend is moving into most other regions. I'd guess it's the easiest way to for local governments to make up for budget shortfalls.

The answer is simple....STOP SPENDING WHAT YOU DON'T HAVE.........Unfortunately, no one is listening

Offline koduck

• Administrator
  • Make it snappy!
« Reply #90 on: June 15, 2016, 11:15:23 AM »
Ha! I don't think they got that memo.

Offline Choke_Wagon

• Yeeeeeeeee-ha!
« Reply #91 on: June 15, 2016, 02:44:27 PM »
well lucky for us Florida has no State Tax, I hear that is also a killer up north too

Offline vahsurfer

« Reply #92 on: June 16, 2016, 07:37:35 PM »
We should send all of our Ratz and Cracked and Jolly Mean ALTs to someone so they can pay their rent for year..... hahahahahaha

Offline koduck

• Administrator
  • Make it snappy!
« Reply #93 on: June 18, 2016, 07:18:47 AM »
Promo cards are in!

And now they're on their way out! Should arrive to everyone early next week.

Enjoy!

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #94 on: June 18, 2016, 07:21:29 AM »
Promo cards are in!

Enjoy!

THANKS Neil!!!

Offline cmgmd

« Reply #95 on: June 18, 2016, 07:42:57 AM »
Much appreciated as always.  Looking forward to its arrival.

Offline vahsurfer

« Reply #96 on: June 18, 2016, 04:25:40 PM »
Just DUCKY! Again!!! Thank you SOOOOOO Much for all you do kind Sir!

Offline sco(o)t

• Looking:Postcard Ser4 BUGWEISER Smokin' Joe sketch
« Reply #97 on: June 18, 2016, 05:44:01 PM »
Promo cards are in!

Enjoy!

:cool2:
aka Scot Leibacher (no trademark)

Offline ratchet007

« Reply #98 on: June 21, 2016, 11:52:12 AM »
Got my cards today Neil. Very cool. Thanks again. Noticed the hand addressed envelope......Can you say writer's cramp?

Offline Alexeirex

« Reply #99 on: June 21, 2016, 01:24:53 PM »
Great cards~!!! They are REAL Wackys! Thank You!!
A

Offline DrDeal

« Reply #100 on: June 21, 2016, 01:42:07 PM »
Neil.

Got my cards. Thanks for keeping this hobby real. You are the best!

Andrew

Offline WackyFrank

« Reply #101 on: June 21, 2016, 01:56:35 PM »
Thanks, Neil!
You rock!!!!
Frank

Offline DrSushi

« Reply #102 on: June 21, 2016, 02:01:48 PM »
Got mine today, too. Great job all involved! Neil, thanks for Wacky Packages Day!

Offline Swiski

« Reply #103 on: June 21, 2016, 02:24:21 PM »
I got my cards today too! Thanks Neil!!

Offline bigtomi

« Reply #104 on: June 21, 2016, 03:16:32 PM »
Ditto here! Very nice! Thanks, Neil!!

anything