Author Topic: Fight the Crickets: Share when you open packs of recent releases  (Read 28116 times)

Offline DrDeal

With the lack of new releases lately; I thought there might be interest in a thread where we share what we find when we open packs  or boxes from one of the  past releases. Since sketch cards have been included for years now in many releases ;there are still lots of cards yet to be found that we would all like to see.  There are also some very tough pulls in some releases like the Super Rare Embroidered Patch Cards and the Altered Art/ Mixed Up Character cards. So when you purchase or trade for or just decide to open a Collector box, Retail box, Blaster Box, Bonus Box, Value Pack or just a few packs of a recent release; post what you opened and what you found.  Pictures of certain cards / sketch's would be great also. I just ordered a Blaster Box of Chrome which I will have in about a week. I will post what I find. If no one shares this interest we can just delete this thread.

Regards,  Andrew

Offline lucidjc

Re: Fight the Crickets: Share when you open packs of recent releases
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2016, 01:26:06 PM »
OK, I was thinking of starting my own topic on this but here seems a great place to lay it all out. This goes back maybe 4 or 5 months ago. I own a metal detector and before my spinal cord injury I was an avid searcher. Not many days would go by before I would get the itch to dig something out of the ground that someone had lost. In 35+ years of looking I have found many nice things, gold and silver jewelry, hundreds of silver coins...even a large cent from 1828, my oldest coin found. People would call me on the phone and ask me if I could come over and help find lost things, wedding bands and what not, most of the time if the item was actually lost in that area I would find it. I only go out a few times a year anymore, its all my body can handle, but I enjoy it.

OK, lets Flashback to Flashback  2 2008. I do remember buying a gravity feed and some loose packs (maybe 50 to 60) I had ordered 3 24 pack boxes from a local card shop, I bought all these cards on the same day. Over the next few days to weeks I opened a few, just about 10-15 packs in I pulled a Gold, I was very excited, it was my first big wacky score. I put the rest of the packs in a box sealed it but never wrote on the box what was in it. A few months ago I was cleaning out a part of my garage that had stacks of boxes from before my injury (may 2012). I was confused as to what was in the sealed (with packing tape) boxes...the open ones I could see, duh. So I placed all the boxes with tape off to the side. I stacked them next to a shelf/table that I do work on. I started opening the boxes and found that all but 1 of the boxes were filled with books (i like books). I get to the last box, I open it to see all these Beautiful green Flashback 2 unopened packs.(if you have any flashback 2 wrappers check them out they are the coolest wacky wrapper of modern times) I take out a few packs and open them looked and laughed then said now what am I going to do with these loose stickers...so I stuck em. Meanwhile back at the table after I sealed up the box and wrote the contents on it, I looked over and saw my metal detector. Thinking, did I ever take the batteries out at the end of the season? So I pushed the button and on it came. As soon as it cycled through its opening boot it started beeping. It beeps when the coil (the end that detects) is near metal. I thought it might have been the nails in the table but moving the coil away from where it was closer to the box it got louder instead of stopping. Of course I'm thinking what could be causing this very loud target? I ran the machine over the box a few times always getting the same large hit! So I dump the box out, all 100+ packs and start going over each one. About half way through I find the HOT PACK with a PRINTING PLATE in it.

The pack remains UNOPENED...

Why on earth I didn't do this years ago, I have no idea...but thinking about it, I guess I'm just not a pack searcher...Funny how things happen.  ENJOY

Jim

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2016, 02:32:37 AM »
Great story Jim!  Aren't you curious about what plate you scored?

Offline drono

« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2016, 04:37:08 AM »
Great story, but why are you keeping Wacky Packages in the garage?  They should be kept in the best room of the house, maybe even given the seat at the head of the table.  :D

I did something very similar using a strong magnet to detect the packs from ANS that had the magnets in them.  It seemed like they were always in the middle of the pack, so my magnet had to be very strong to detect them.  I wonder what Target would think if you came in with your metal detector and started searching packs.

Offline lucidjc

« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2016, 04:24:08 PM »
Great story Jim!  Aren't you curious about what plate you scored?

I have a reverse addiction Pat. Some people cant keep stuff closed, I cant seem to open it.

Jim

Offline Jean Nutty

« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2016, 05:51:28 PM »
I have a reverse addiction Pat. Some people cant keep stuff closed, I cant seem to open it.

Jim

I believe this is a type of anxiety disorder.

A bowl of Frite Loops might help cure you        ;)

Offline DrDeal

« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2016, 07:44:12 PM »
Just got back from a week long work trip to Ft Worth. I had one Blaster Box of Chrome waiting for me. Pulled an Altered Art Campy! That was one of the Altered Art Cards I was trying to find. The first of the Altered Art/ Mixed Up Character cards I have pulled.

Regards,  Andrew

Offline sco(o)t

• Looking:Postcard Ser4 BUGWEISER Smokin' Joe sketch
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2016, 08:03:58 PM »
Just got back from a week long work trip to Ft Worth. I had one Blaster Box of Chrome waiting for me. Pulled an Altered Art Campy! That was one of the Altered Art Cards I was trying to find. The first of the Altered Art/ Mixed Up Character cards I have pulled.

Regards,  Andrew

Good on ya, Andrew!
aka Scot Leibacher (no trademark)

Offline Alexeirex

« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2016, 10:13:03 PM »
Woo hoo Yowsa!@!!! Great pull!!!
Alex

Regards,  Andrew

Offline Monsterettes

« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2016, 08:16:42 AM »

Regards,  Andrew

I have a question that is going to make me look dense, but it wouldn't be the first time! Where does the character on that Campy come from?

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2016, 08:48:57 AM »
I have a question that is going to make me look dense, but it wouldn't be the first time! Where does the character on that Campy come from?
I think it is from an Ugly Button.

Offline Fanatical_and_Sickly

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2016, 08:58:15 AM »
yep.
It can be seen on the Saunders website

http://www.normansaunders.com/UglyBts%2C02.html

Offline Monsterettes

« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2016, 10:10:19 AM »
Thanks Pat for clearing that up, and Patrick for the image!

Offline DrDeal

« Reply #13 on: June 16, 2016, 12:52:11 PM »
Just opened 24 packs of Chrome : 12 Retail With Clear Fronts; 12 from Value Packs. The clear front packs were not fanned. No fingernail or other impressions and the cards were not pushed up in the packs. Got a few cards needed to help complete sets. No adrenaline cards. After hitting an Altered Art (1:1500 packs) in my last purchase; I figure it will be a while before any pack yields something really special.  ;)

Andrew
« Last Edit: June 16, 2016, 12:54:17 PM by DrDeal »

Offline DrDeal

« Reply #14 on: June 17, 2016, 12:55:43 PM »
Opened 9 Value packs. Got a Ajerx Auto from one of the 27 packs. Has anyone ever gotten a rare card from any spot other than the third card in the pack?

That's where i have found mine.

Andrew

Offline quas

« Reply #15 on: June 17, 2016, 05:52:41 PM »
Opened 9 Value packs. Got a Ajerx Auto from one of the 27 packs. Has anyone ever gotten a rare card from any spot other than the third card in the pack?

That's where i have found mine.

Andrew

It's certainly never the first or last card....
Marc

Offline DrDeal

« Reply #16 on: June 21, 2016, 06:53:57 PM »
Opened 12 value packs today. I got a rock............     ;)

Offline drono

« Reply #17 on: June 21, 2016, 08:28:37 PM »
Opened 12 value packs today. I got a rock............     ;)

I got one of those for Father's Day!  The rock, not the 12 value packs.  :'(

Offline vahsurfer

« Reply #18 on: June 22, 2016, 03:46:02 PM »
I opened 48 Value Packs..... One printing Plate...... ughhhhh

Offline DrDeal

« Reply #19 on: June 22, 2016, 05:25:06 PM »
I opened 48 Value Packs..... One printing Plate...... ughhhhh

How bout a pic of yer plate?  That beats getting a rock.  :^)

Offline DrDeal

« Reply #20 on: June 23, 2016, 03:58:41 PM »
Opened a Chrome Blaster Box today. Nothing of note. I have a Chrome Collector box coming next week. :-*

Offline vahsurfer

« Reply #21 on: June 24, 2016, 04:03:52 PM »
Here you go!

Offline DrDeal

« Reply #22 on: June 24, 2016, 04:56:09 PM »
Looks cool in reverse. Thanks for posting. I do not own a chrome plate.

Offline vahsurfer

« Reply #23 on: June 25, 2016, 09:23:45 AM »
In hindsight I like to be a completest; at least the base set and one example of any subsets and parallels, so I did need one, but no sketch cards, Mixed Up Characters, Altered Artwork or Superfractors ....  :'(

Now to resort the and assemble and sell....... Gotta Love Them Wackies!

Offline DrDeal

« Reply #24 on: June 25, 2016, 03:01:33 PM »
In hindsight I like to be a completest; at least the base set and one example of any subsets and parallels, so I did need one, but no sketch cards, Mixed Up Characters, Altered Artwork or Superfractors ....  :'(

I feel for you. At this point I am in the same boat. Buying packs is basically like buying scratch off lottery tickets. Anyone can win. Few do.

It's my hobby and I'm sticking with it......

Offline DrDeal

« Reply #25 on: June 29, 2016, 02:29:59 AM »
Opened two collector boxes of chrome in the last two days. Gold Quacker and Vile were the cooler pulls. Nothing else of note.

Offline Dopey Whip

• Non-sports 1950's & Up, Wacky Packages 1973 & Up
« Reply #26 on: July 05, 2016, 07:49:23 PM »
Oh, the suspense...

Offline DrDeal

« Reply #27 on: July 06, 2016, 03:01:08 AM »
Nice!

72 packs of Chrome........ I look forward to hearing how you do. Best of luck!  I have 9 Value Packs and 1 Blaster Box coming this week.

Andrew

Offline Alexeirex

« Reply #28 on: July 06, 2016, 09:17:16 AM »
Looks like fun!!!! What do you think of the 75th anniversary Topps set? Was considering getting a case of collectors but they still seem rather high for what can be pulled. Any hot cards in those collector's cases? A

Oh, the suspense...

Offline DrDeal

« Reply #29 on: July 06, 2016, 03:59:29 PM »
Opened 9 Value packs.......... Got one refractor I need. Working on a set of those.

Offline Dopey Whip

« Reply #30 on: July 06, 2016, 10:08:35 PM »
Looks like fun!!!! What do you think of the 75th anniversary Topps set? Was considering getting a case of collectors but they still seem rather high for what can be pulled. Any hot cards in those collector's cases? A

The 75th seems OK, there are some jems in there but most is just run of the mill. I do like that I made 1 complete base set with the box. I also got the two autos I really wanted Roger Moore (probably the most valuable sig -Sylvester Stallone) & Joyce Dewitt (though I have a couple sigs from her) I also got Ed Gale(who?). I got a NSYNC BUYBACK!!!!! You're jealous aren't ya... haha I also got a Brady Bunch speckle (1:75)

I got 24 of the reflectives (100 for a set) think I might work on that one...maybe buy another box?

I like seeing all the older sets, some I have and some I need to complete

Offline Dopey Whip

« Reply #31 on: July 06, 2016, 10:19:56 PM »

I only paid $99 for three boxes so not bad...

I pulled 2 blue and 1 gold out of two of the boxes... typical
though another box I pulled 3 blue, 1 gold, 1 Len Auto, and 1 Jon Gregory Sketch!!!  :great:
no redemptions or mixed-up/altered =(

Offline DrDeal

« Reply #32 on: July 07, 2016, 03:33:10 AM »

though another box I pulled 3 blue, 1 gold, 1 Len Auto, and 1 Jon Gregory Sketch!!!  :great:

Let's see that sketch please... Congrats. Sketches are pretty tough to pull.

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #33 on: July 07, 2016, 04:06:38 AM »
Let's see that sketch please... Congrats. Sketches are pretty tough to pull.

Funny, I pulled two sketches, but no plates, autos, altered art/mixed up cards, or superfractors.  One of the sketches I actually got from a loose pack from Target - I either beat the pack searchers that day, or they didn't like sketches!

Offline Joe G.

« Reply #34 on: July 07, 2016, 10:46:02 AM »

Any chance one of those golds was an Ajerx?  Still looking for one of those.