Author Topic: Run Tony Ludlow back  (Read 21675 times)

Offline Tom Keen

Re: Run Tony Ludlow back
« Reply #35 on: June 11, 2016, 09:36:34 AM »
So in all the learned opinions I see here, these cards are not to be sent to psa. Is the prevailing opinion that only nm-mt cards should be sent to be graded? And anything less than nm (for example ex-mt) is foolish?
And what is the thinking here on that theory.
Regale me with the concept.
Why are you letting others dictate whether these should be sent to PSA? Start with this, what is your motive in sending to PSA, for value, to protect them, because you hate displaying them nicely in binders for easy review?

Everyone chiming in is purely speaking from the value point of view ie you will get low to mid grades with off center qualifiers hence not "worth" the money.

What is important to you?

Offline vahsurfer

« Reply #36 on: June 11, 2016, 10:16:06 AM »
Well said Tom,

I have NEVER sent anything to the PSA Paparazzi.... I have some PSA graded stuff, but I keep mine safe and out of the hands of little people, and the more valuable stuff is in hard magnetic cases.

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #37 on: June 11, 2016, 12:14:48 PM »
So in all the learned opinions I see here, these cards are not to be sent to psa. Is the prevailing opinion that only nm-mt cards should be sent to be graded? And anything less than nm (for example ex-mt) is foolish?
And what is the thinking here on that theory.
Regale me with the concept.

I'm not even sure at this point which stickers we're talking about.  I'm new to PSA, but basically, what I've been considering is the value of the sticker - is it worth spending up to $15 to grade a fairly common sticker in mid-grade condition that's probably worth just a few bucks raw, when there are grade 6's on ebay for $10?  Not to me, but it might be to someone else.  With ludlows, there have been some fakes, so maybe grading a lower condition sticker makes sense just to verify authenticity.  And, then there's protection as a consideration - I am considering submitting my mid-grade die-cuts even though they might get 6's because I think they are less likely to pop perfs if encapsulated.

It comes down to what you are looking to accomplish.

Offline bigtomi

« Reply #38 on: June 11, 2016, 04:49:30 PM »
I'm not even sure at this point which stickers we're talking about... With ludlows, there have been some fakes, so maybe grading a lower condition sticker makes sense just to verify authenticity...  And, then there's protection as a consideration - I am considering submitting my mid-grade die-cuts even though they might get 6's because I think they are less likely to pop perfs if encapsulated.
I believe we're still focusing on Leslie's Series 16 set on eBay. As to verification of authenticity, I'd not trust PSA to accurately do that with Wackys, anyway. Remember, they are not called PNSA. Slabbing die-cuts to help preserve their physical integrity makes sense, really...but you could buy your own slabs/holders and save the PSA expense, yes?

Just to add my two cents on the overall PSA thing: I don't see me ever using them for my keepers, but I have of late bought some PSA 7 and higher graded Wackys as upgrades, mostly because I feel comfortable that when I crack it out, it'll really be a good upgrade. Even if I WAS a PSA guy, I wouldn't send Leslie's 16s in; not high enough quality, IMO.

Offline wacky1

« Reply #39 on: June 11, 2016, 05:32:27 PM »
Thanks again for the input! I am familiar with Psa through baseball card collecting.
Generally, Psa graded items generate better sales results than ungraded items.
I was specifically referring to the 16 series on eBay. But I am thinking of sending the Ludlow backs in to Psa.
I am not pimping Psa, but preservation of nice cards and/or Wacky packs seems like a logical step if it makes financial sense.
Re-selling them in the future is always a prime consideration as I am not going to be buried with my cards/coins.
Thanks for the input!!
Richard

Offline wacky1

« Reply #40 on: June 11, 2016, 05:47:13 PM »
Holy crap-someone paid $2225 for the 16th  series on eBay just now!
Someone has money to burn!

Offline jleonard1967

« Reply #41 on: June 12, 2016, 05:04:36 AM »
Told ya it would go over 1500.00😀

Offline Fanatical_and_Sickly

• Administrator
« Reply #42 on: June 12, 2016, 06:07:53 AM »
well, as the auction says, they're 'SOLD OUT', so you can longer just go into any convenience store and easily buy them off the shelf like you could 40 years ago  :^)

Offline ratchet007

« Reply #43 on: June 12, 2016, 06:16:01 AM »
All I can say is WOW". I thought around $1800 and even that was what I thought was on the high end. Wish I had a set to sell.  :^) ;)

Offline Kook

« Reply #44 on: June 12, 2016, 06:44:25 AM »
well, as the auction says, they're 'SOLD OUT', so you can longer just go into any convenience store and easily buy them off the shelf like you could 40 years ago  :^)

'79 & '80 reissues are 'SOLD OUT' too  ;)

Offline Kook

« Reply #45 on: June 12, 2016, 06:49:51 AM »
All I can say is WOW". I thought around $1800 and even that was what I thought was on the high end. Wish I had a set to sell.  :^) ;)

Ditto on the "WOW"

($1,800) That's about where I thought it would end too on the optimistic side if people were including the value of the puzzle in the lot. Sometimes when you sell stuff together it doesn't always come out to the sum of the parts.

It was a shocker more from the standpoint that there were "condition issues" with at least 1/2 the set. Looks like they're getting scarce enough that people are starting to think - any copy is better than no copy at all, and condition is becoming secondary. I wonder if 16th wackys in much nicer condition will command even more of a premium, or if condition isn't as big a factor as it is elsewhere.

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #46 on: June 12, 2016, 06:55:25 AM »
I think the "high grade premium" is less for 16ths than other series because a much larger percentage of existing 16ths are high grade, being from recently opened boxes. For example, a 1st series PSA 9 probably sells for 10-20 times a mid grade raw copy, while PSA 9 16ths are only around 3 times a typical raw copy.

anything