Author Topic: The Lure of The Chrome Value Packs  (Read 6872 times)

Offline DrDeal

The Lure of The Chrome Value Packs
« on: May 26, 2016, 04:41:20 PM »
Anyone else tempted to buy the current ebay auction with 60 WP Chrome Value Packs for $140 shipped?

That works out to 77 cents per 4 card pack. Quite a discount over original retail. I recently purchased about 20 of those packs
with no scores. I know some on here have pulled SuperFractors or Mixed Up Character/ Altered Art cards. 

I think that is the lowest price I have seen on Chrome packs. Has anyone seen a better price?

Offline DrDeal

Re: The Lure of The Chrome Value Packs
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2016, 01:04:22 PM »
So the auction with two sets of 60 Values packs sold quickly. Best of luck to whoever got that deal.

Offline quas

« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2016, 11:04:15 AM »
So the auction with two sets of 60 Values packs sold quickly. Best of luck to whoever got that deal.

That would be me.  Decided to take a chance.  Ended up with three sketch cards (a Camera and two others) and the Hurtz (canary) superfractor.
Marc

Offline DrDeal

« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2016, 03:55:12 PM »
Congrats! It's great to see superfractors still showing up. Can you post pics of the super and your sketches?

Offline quas

« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2016, 07:21:02 PM »
Congrats! It's great to see superfractors still showing up. Can you post pics of the super and your sketches?

Will do, once I get back in town.
Marc

Offline vahsurfer

« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2016, 02:32:04 PM »
I also dove in and just picked up 48 value packs - Fingers crossed for the rare elusive butterfly!

Offline quas

« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2016, 03:58:10 PM »
I also dove in and just picked up 48 value packs - Fingers crossed for the rare elusive butterfly!

Good luck!   :great:
Marc

Offline vahsurfer

« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2016, 06:47:33 AM »
Thanks Marc,

Hoping to find something Bruce wants - Then let the FUN Begin!  8)

Offline quas

« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2016, 03:45:31 PM »

Here they are!

Marc

Offline DrDeal

« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2016, 04:38:12 PM »
Thanks for posting pics. Nice scores. I think you are the only collector here who has pulled TWO Superfractors. Congrats!

Andrew

Offline vahsurfer

« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2016, 11:22:59 AM »
Looking Good Marc!

Offline DrDeal

« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2016, 02:23:34 PM »
I just ordered some Chrome Packs from Yuppycakes on Ebay and thought I got a pretty good deal so wanted to share.

This seller is selling 12 packs of WP Chrome for $12 plus $3 shipping. They have the packs from value packs and the packs with clear fronts from retail.

I was able to buy both 12 pack auctions for $27 shipped which equates to $1.22 per pack. Not a bad price for only buying 24 packs.

I will post what I find.

Andrew

Offline quas

« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2016, 02:27:13 PM »
I just ordered some Chrome Packs from Yuppycakes on Ebay and thought I got a pretty good deal so wanted to share.

This seller is selling 12 packs of WP Chrome for $12 plus $3 shipping. They have the packs from value packs and the packs with clear fronts from retail.

I was able to buy both 12 pack auctions for $27 shipped which equates to $1.22 per pack. Not a bad price for only buying 24 packs.

I will post what I find.

Andrew

Thanks Andrew.  Good luck!  I've always thought Topps could have issued more series of Chrome....
Marc

Offline DrDeal

« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2016, 02:58:50 PM »
Just purchased three of the three value packs groupings for $8 shipped each on the bay which equates to $24 for 27 packs or .88 per pack.

I will post what i find.

Andrew

Online Joe G.

« Reply #14 on: June 15, 2016, 04:29:51 PM »
I guess all these discounted packs explain why we never saw a follow up to Wacky Packages Chrome, it just didn't sell enough.  I can't remember any past Wacky set having so much unsold product.

Offline quas

« Reply #15 on: June 15, 2016, 04:36:22 PM »
I guess all these discounted packs explain why we never saw a follow up to Wacky Packages Chrome, it just didn't sell enough.  I can't remember any past Wacky set having so much unsold product.

I think ANS9 may also be in the running for most leftover product.  Sketch hunters like me don't go after it because the sketches are so few and far between in that series.  But there isn't much in the way of discounted product---at least not that I'm aware of.  I know there are lots of sketches still out there based on what Brent Engstrom shows on his website as sketches he drew for that series.
Marc

Offline DrDeal

« Reply #16 on: June 15, 2016, 05:53:56 PM »

Do we have an idea of how many of each base card were printed for chrome and how that compares to recent ANS releases? Were they over-confident with chrome and produced more than usual or did they produce the usual run and it under-performed?

Offline Dopey Whip

• Non-sports 1950's & Up, Wacky Packages 1973 & Up
« Reply #17 on: June 15, 2016, 06:48:45 PM »
I for one was late to catch the Chrome Series. After Topps came out with the "All New Series" and "Flashback" I was kind of sick at the ridiculous amount of money needed to make sets with this border and that border they lost me. Yeah it was great to start including sketches and some subsets but if you can't make a set by buying a case then it's just really not worth it. So after Flashback Series 1 & 2 I just stopped with WP.

Then as life has it my son started with Pokemon cards late 2015 and I of course just had to see what has been going on with WP. I saw the Target "Wacky Box" 16 pack and found the Chrome series and I Love it!!! Yeah and although they still have some ridiculous border sets that no normal human will ever collect all of them, I like the clean look and really like the Altered Artwork/Mixed Up Characters. I am working on finishing that set and it's not easy. Heck I have been buying just about all I can and only have a few. I do have 5 sketch cards so completing a set with one sketch from each artist should be easy enough. HAHA!!!  :85:

I think it's safe to say you can probably collect the original series 1-16 in half descend condition before ever completing these ANS.

Offline Dopey Whip

• Non-sports 1950's & Up, Wacky Packages 1973 & Up
« Reply #18 on: June 16, 2016, 07:04:59 PM »
Here are the sketches I have currently...

Offline vahsurfer

« Reply #19 on: June 16, 2016, 07:23:22 PM »
Nice!

anything