Author Topic: White back Spit and Spill  (Read 19177 times)

Offline bigtomi

White back Spit and Spill
« on: May 21, 2016, 12:23:41 PM »
This is the first one of these I've seen. I thought all white backs were the variation...maybe this disproves that??

eBay auction: #141999876428

Offline Paul_Maul

Re: White back Spit and Spill
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2016, 04:34:17 PM »
I have a vague memory of Greg being offered several Spit and Spills from the same person....and I think one of them may have been like this, but I can't remember for sure, it was so long ago....

Offline BustedFinger

• Just a simple collector. No books, no websites, no arguments!
  • I wonder where this text will appear?
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2016, 05:49:05 PM »
I remember that there was a short video that showed four Spit-n-Spills sitting face-up on a table.  Two Spics and two blank tops.  Then they were each flipped over one by one revealing that there were tan and white back versions of each.  There was some speculation at the time that the video was faked.

If it could be proven that this is legit, it would be the rarest Wacky on the planet with only one known to exist.
Giving "The Hobby" the finger since 1999!

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2016, 03:17:38 AM »
That's what I was talking about. Greg thinks it was real, but never got to examine them in person.

Offline Fanatical_and_Sickly

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2016, 05:22:54 AM »
Looks like a die-cut impression on the back of Bleed's (lower left)- and it does not match the sticker

Buyer beware

Online RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2016, 05:56:06 AM »
The Series 16 tans give me the "buyer beware" signal just like the "unpunched Ratz" that looked like it was in the Weakies border.

Offline ratchet007

« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2016, 12:12:11 PM »
Looks like a die-cut impression on the back of Bleed's (lower left)- and it does not match the sticker

Buyer beware

Looks like a "peel and restick" to me Patrick.
Looks like the same for the Ghoul. Too hard to tell on the Sucker.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2016, 12:14:10 PM by ratchet007 »

Offline bigtomi

« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2016, 02:23:42 PM »
Too hard to tell on the Sucker.
I think the only real Sucker is the one who buys these. Maybe the WB blank lid is restick?

Offline lucidjc

« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2016, 03:33:07 PM »
Can you really get these to restick without the corners curling?

Jim

Offline Fanatical_and_Sickly

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2016, 03:39:26 PM »
I think the only real Sucker is the one who buys these. Maybe the WB blank lid is restick?
hmmm. looking with an eagle eye - the sticker is offset from the white back by just a hair or two.
either they 'slid' apart a fraction over the years...
or it's a re-stick

who's going to pay over $50 to find out??

Offline quas

« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2016, 06:18:11 PM »
hmmm. looking with an eagle eye - the sticker is offset from the white back by just a hair or two.
either they 'slid' apart a fraction over the years...
or it's a re-stick

who's going to pay over $50 to find out??

I was going to, but changed my mind! :-\
Marc

Offline bandaches

• http://www.wackypackage.com/
    • Visit my Wacky Pack Website
« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2016, 07:57:29 PM »
This looks like restick trash....alter id for someone?
Contact me at bandaches@yahoo.com as I have tons of wackys for sale!  Visit my website http://www.wackypackage.com/

Offline quas

« Reply #13 on: May 25, 2016, 02:44:13 PM »
This looks like restick trash....alter id for someone?

I had placed a tiny bid at the beginning of the auction, which was quickly outbid.  And now it just got cancelled.  Even more suspicious.
Marc

Offline bigtomi

« Reply #14 on: May 25, 2016, 03:13:34 PM »
I had placed a tiny bid at the beginning of the auction, which was quickly outbid.  And now it just got cancelled.  Even more suspicious.
Marc, do you mean your bid was cancelled or the whole auction? I noticed the auction was ended "due to an error in the listing". Whoops, this card doesn't exist...cancel that auction. LOL

Offline BustedFinger

• Just a simple collector. No books, no websites, no arguments!
  • I wonder where this text will appear?
« Reply #15 on: May 25, 2016, 03:37:40 PM »
In my best Tootsie Pop Owl voice....

"the world will never know"
Giving "The Hobby" the finger since 1999!

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #16 on: May 25, 2016, 04:13:24 PM »
Greg told the guy at least some of his stuff is bogus, he probably pulled it to avoid trouble.

Offline super75

« Reply #17 on: May 26, 2016, 03:16:05 PM »
I am the seller that had the spit and spill on ebay, when Greg wrote me and told these were not the right backing I removed the auctions from Ebay. I purchased these at an estate sale and should have researched these better as I only looked at Ebay and just knew there was 2 variations. I accept that it was my own fault for not doing better research.

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #18 on: May 26, 2016, 05:12:28 PM »
Mistakes happen, thanks for removing them.

Offline Tom Keen

« Reply #19 on: May 27, 2016, 11:20:32 AM »
I am the seller that had the spit and spill on ebay, when Greg wrote me and told these were not the right backing I removed the auctions from Ebay. I purchased these at an estate sale and should have researched these better as I only looked at Ebay and just knew there was 2 variations. I accept that it was my own fault for not doing better research.
Thanks for calling this out.  Did Greg encourage you to come here?  This seems to be your first post on the forum, welcome aboard!

Offline vahsurfer

« Reply #20 on: May 30, 2016, 08:07:31 AM »
Great job watching out for the community.  Spending money and NOT getting what is advertised is stealing and eBay should WHACK the dishonest people!

Offline bigtomi

« Reply #21 on: May 30, 2016, 08:52:47 AM »
Great job watching out for the community.  Spending money and NOT getting what is advertised is stealing and eBay should WHACK the dishonest people!
Not certain who you're directing this to, but in all fairness, I believe the seller just didn't know what they had and sold them as what they looked like...a completely honest mistake. I commend them for removing them to play it safe.

Online RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #22 on: May 30, 2016, 09:32:41 AM »
Not certain who you're directing this to, but in all fairness, I believe the seller just didn't know what they had and sold them as what they looked like...a completely honest mistake. I commend them for removing them to play it safe.

I agree.  I've tried to put notes on the reproductions in my collection, like Ratz, but who knows what my family might miss if I get run over by a bus and they have to deal with disposing of my stuff........

Offline vahsurfer

« Reply #23 on: May 30, 2016, 12:16:53 PM »
Name me in the will, we will avoid probate and will have a GREAT Home!

Offline bandaches

« Reply #24 on: May 30, 2016, 10:10:42 PM »
This seller found these at "an estate sale" as is often the case with rares, resticks, resealed packs and such....
and they happened to have never seen before restick back variations that the seller didn't research to know no such titles existed
and yet his research led to his finding his way to this forum after being called out on it, creates a forum id to make his one and only post ever
and this person didn't feel it necessary to find this forum before listing these resticks to advertise nor ask any questions about the wackys.

Does all of the above seem logical to you?

Contact me at bandaches@yahoo.com as I have tons of wackys for sale!  Visit my website http://www.wackypackage.com/

Offline super75

« Reply #25 on: June 02, 2016, 12:29:45 PM »
Yes Greg is the one that told me there is a forum about wacky packages. If I ever find any more of these I will research them better and if I have any questions I will come on the forum and ask. It never even crossed my mind that someone would restick these on to a different back.

Offline bandaches

« Reply #26 on: June 02, 2016, 08:46:24 PM »
LOL!!! greg'sforum is dead, he doesn't maintain it, the indexes are a mess so the messages are a mess.  He clearly would never direct anyone here, what forum is greg referring to?

Offline HENRY.R

« Reply #27 on: June 02, 2016, 10:32:13 PM »
Hello,just sayin,I did go into his site about 2 months ago & went ahead & message him about purchasing some ans singles,he did reply by saying he wouldn't search for them since Im asking for quite a bit of them,but would welcome me to his place,wish I could but Im in the other side of the country. :o :o :o

Offline bandaches

« Reply #30 on: October 22, 2017, 05:20:14 AM »
This is the first one of these I've seen. I thought all white backs were the variation...maybe this disproves that??

eBay auction: #141999876428
I just purchased a lot that appears to have two third series white back spin n spill no logo.  Will report back my findings.

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #31 on: October 22, 2017, 06:13:24 AM »
I just purchased a lot that appears to have two third series white back spin n spill no logo.  Will report back my findings.

Funny coincidence, this subject just came up yesterday at Allentown, as Bill Farinella also has one that he is trying to get PSA to properly acknowledge.

It suddenly occurred to me that it is in fact possible that the logo change and backing change could have occurred nearly simultaneously, or that the logo was changed first, even though the spic/span tan back is way more common than its white counterpart. It would just mean that the tan back sheets were probably being produced at a 10 to 1 clip during the spic/span timeframe.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2017, 06:15:19 AM by Paul_Maul »

Offline bandaches

« Reply #32 on: October 22, 2017, 09:03:06 AM »
Funny coincidence, this subject just came up yesterday at Allentown, as Bill Farinella also has one that he is trying to get PSA to properly acknowledge.

It suddenly occurred to me that it is in fact possible that the logo change and backing change could have occurred nearly simultaneously, or that the logo was changed first, even though the spic/span tan back is way more common than its white counterpart. It would just mean that the tan back sheets were probably being produced at a 10 to 1 clip during the spic/span timeframe.
I think it very possible and unfortunately we use uncut sheet population to form our final theories and it seemed since no uncut white sheet with no logo was found, it was determined it doesn't exist.  The lot I am getting looks to be in super shape so I really doubt these will turn out to be resticks.

Offline ToadallyDude

« Reply #33 on: October 24, 2019, 02:17:29 PM »
Just noticed this thread.  Did this weird mystery ever get proved or disproved?  I remember 3rd White Spit-n-Span being one of those urban-legendy things people talked about seeing or hearing of way back in the 90s, like a rumored 17th series, or 15th tanback set, or Toadal sticker, etc.  Would be cool to see a pic of an actual 3rd white Spit-n-Span.

anything