Author Topic: Wacky Package Reference  (Read 55615 times)

Offline Fanatical_and_Sickly

• Administrator
Re: Wacky Package Reference
« Reply #70 on: June 18, 2016, 06:03:43 AM »
so likely his 3rd series box label info is also incorrect?
no idea.
I can't tell well enough from the image of the purple box on Greg's site and Rusty doesn't mention the purple box at all.
if someone has that purple 3rd, the unknowns of Greg's listing could be filled in.
"3rd SERIES 5-4??-46-01-2"

As you mention, the 8th series on Greg's site is also incomplete.  I do have that one, on a green box, and the full number is:
8th SERIES 5-465-46-01-4
« Last Edit: June 18, 2016, 06:05:17 AM by Fanatical_and_Sickly »

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #71 on: June 18, 2016, 06:31:07 AM »
The 3rd series box sticker is most likely to be 5-432-46-01-2, as that is the code used for the 3rd series 1972 baseball box, which is where this sticker was likely borrowed from.

« Last Edit: June 18, 2016, 06:49:04 AM by Paul_Maul »

Offline bandaches

• http://www.wackypackage.com/
    • Visit my Wacky Pack Website
« Reply #72 on: June 18, 2016, 09:33:26 PM »
The 3rd series box sticker is most likely to be 5-432-46-01-2, as that is the code used for the 3rd series 1972 baseball box, which is where this sticker was likely borrowed from.

(Image removed from quote.)

Looks like 3rd series wackys were also found in the "new series" stickered boxes according to the $2000+ auction on ebay right now, another wrinkle in the documentation.
Contact me at bandaches@yahoo.com as I have tons of wackys for sale!  Visit my website http://www.wackypackage.com/

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #73 on: June 19, 2016, 02:52:50 AM »
Looks like 3rd series wackys were also found in the "new series" stickered boxes according to the $2000+ auction on ebay right now, another wrinkle in the documentation.

I was assuming those were really 2nd series.

Offline bandaches

« Reply #74 on: June 20, 2016, 09:25:44 PM »
I was assuming those were really 2nd series.
He is pretty adamant that these are series 3
Contact me at bandaches@yahoo.com as I have tons of wackys for sale!  Visit my website http://www.wackypackage.com/

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #75 on: June 21, 2016, 03:18:41 AM »
He is pretty adamant that these are series 3

Does he have evidence of that? I notice the partial box has a mix of 21 and 85 fold packs, so it's not really a "partial box."

Offline quas

« Reply #76 on: June 21, 2016, 05:44:36 AM »

Now up over $7,000!?!
Marc

Offline bigtomi

« Reply #77 on: June 21, 2016, 02:49:16 PM »
I notice the partial box has a mix of 21 and 85 fold packs, so it's not really a "partial box."
Oh, sure it is. Part of that box and part of another box.   :-\

Offline bandaches

« Reply #78 on: June 22, 2016, 07:03:36 PM »
Does he have evidence of that? I notice the partial box has a mix of 21 and 85 fold packs, so it's not really a "partial box."
I traded numerous messages with him. He first claimed he felt these were 3rd series because pack(s) pulled open and he saw titles and determined they were 3rd series.  I asked him what titles he saw so I could confirm, he then responds that he took pictures of the back and front so people can tell the series(which of course we cant).  He also adds the crazy stupid disclaimer that these might be some other series but tough luck to the buyer.  Once the bidding this crazy thousands of $, I again said it behooves him to be sure what he is selling and I again offered to help.  No response.   We know for sure the packs were slopped together into at least the one box.  Will be interesting to see what these turn out to be.

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #79 on: June 22, 2016, 09:36:22 PM »
$10,657

Crazy.

Offline Fool-Aid

« Reply #80 on: June 23, 2016, 12:34:06 PM »
That breaks down to about $222 a pack!

Offline Tom Keen

« Reply #81 on: June 23, 2016, 01:26:23 PM »
That breaks down to about $222 a pack!
If they turn out to be series 1 packs, will be a bargain for the buyer, this seller doesn't seem to have any clue on what he was selling nor did he care based on the feedback from one of the posts above.  The display box is worth a couple hundred so that knocks off like $5 per pack.  Imagine if these are Ludlow packs.  Didn't someone turn up unopened series 2 Ludlow packs years ago?

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #82 on: June 23, 2016, 01:59:51 PM »
If they turn out to be series 1 packs, will be a bargain for the buyer, this seller doesn't seem to have any clue on what he was selling nor did he care based on the feedback from one of the posts above.  The display box is worth a couple hundred so that knocks off like $5 per pack.  Imagine if these are Ludlow packs.  Didn't someone turn up unopened series 2 Ludlow packs years ago?

Too many "ifs" for me to take a $10K gamble!! 

Offline Tom Keen

« Reply #83 on: June 23, 2016, 02:28:04 PM »
Too many "ifs" for me to take a $10K gamble!!
How many full series 3 boxes are in existence?  How many Ratz/Cracked combos are out there?  From a scarcity point of view, price is about right.  Let's watch and see these packs resold on ebay as single packs and see how well the seller does.

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #84 on: June 23, 2016, 02:29:56 PM »

There's no reason to think they are 1st series, 2nd series is a lot more likely. The display box is not in great shape, but does have some value. I wouldn't think it that crazy for someone to pay $250 for a 2nd or 3rd red pack, as they have become tough to find. But averaging that for a whole full box is nuts. The highest I've ever seen a box like this sell for is $3800.

Ludlow packs is a bit of a stretch, though they do exist.

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #85 on: June 23, 2016, 02:33:59 PM »
How many full series 3 boxes are in existence?  How many Ratz/Cracked combos are out there?  From a scarcity point of view, price is about right.  Let's watch and see these packs resold on ebay as single packs and see how well the seller does.

If these packs were put on eBay in any quantity, there's no way a price of $225 a pack would hold up. Sure, there are not that many early series full boxes out there, so the value is determined by how much people want it. The problem is, that varies widely over time.

And that's assuming the packs are good, which I admit seems likely given the circumstances.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2016, 02:35:51 PM by Paul_Maul »

Offline Tom Keen

« Reply #86 on: June 23, 2016, 03:12:26 PM »
There's no reason to think they are 1st series, 2nd series is a lot more likely. The display box is not in great shape, but does have some value. I wouldn't think it that crazy for someone to pay $250 for a 2nd or 3rd red pack, as they have become tough to find. But averaging that for a whole full box is nuts. The highest I've ever seen a box like this sell for is $3800.

Ludlow packs is a bit of a stretch, though they do exist.

There is no reason to think they are first series??  Of course there is, they look exactly the same as 2nd and 3rd series as there is nothing in the photos so suggest one series over another.  Now if you meant to say it is not likely due to the box being 2nd series and the seller saying they are 3rd series, I will give you "credit" for that.

Offline Tom Keen

« Reply #87 on: June 23, 2016, 03:18:23 PM »
If these packs were put on eBay in any quantity, there's no way a price of $225 a pack would hold up. Sure, there are not that many early series full boxes out there, so the value is determined by how much people want it. The problem is, that varies widely over time.

And that's assuming the packs are good, which I admit seems likely given the circumstances.
4 bidders thought otherwise so this indicates a bulk of these could easily be sold to 3 other bidders who lost out with very high bids.  Eric ended up getting them all so he will kill packs, get his PSA 9-10 set and then sell the rest.  Let's see how I do.

• Administrator
« Reply #88 on: June 23, 2016, 03:40:06 PM »
4 bidders thought otherwise so this indicates a bulk of these could easily be sold to 3 other bidders who lost out with very high bids.  Eric ended up getting them all so he will kill packs, get his PSA 9-10 set and then sell the rest.  Let's see how I do.
how many of those 3 other bidders actually care to buy single packs? they were bidding big to get a full box showcase item.

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #89 on: June 23, 2016, 04:13:59 PM »
There is no reason to think they are first series??  Of course there is, they look exactly the same as 2nd and 3rd series as there is nothing in the photos so suggest one series over another.  Now if you meant to say it is not likely due to the box being 2nd series and the seller saying they are 3rd series, I will give you "credit" for that.

You answered your own question. Nothing about the packaging suggests they are first series, while something does suggest they are 2nd series. I meant to say exactly what I said.

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #90 on: June 23, 2016, 04:20:53 PM »

Yes, Eric won the loose packs, not the full box. Getting PSA 9-10 stickers by killing 2 sticker packs is easier said than done, I wish him luck if that is his plan. One thing is for sure. If resold one or several packs at a time in any quantity, the price will not stand up. The same thing happened with 11th yellow packs when a full box worth hit the market. The price dropped significantly, and the same thing would happen here.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2016, 04:26:55 PM by Paul_Maul »

Offline bandaches

« Reply #91 on: June 23, 2016, 08:44:02 PM »
how many of those 3 other bidders actually care to buy single packs? they were bidding big to get a full box showcase item.
Only one of the boxes was full so it isn't logical to say the bidders for the 25 pack box were bidding to get a full box to show case, that box looked like hell.

Offline bandaches

« Reply #92 on: June 23, 2016, 08:51:29 PM »
Yes, Eric won the loose packs, not the full box. Getting PSA 9-10 stickers by killing 2 sticker packs is easier said than done, I wish him luck if that is his plan. One thing is for sure. If resold one or several packs at a time in any quantity, the price will not stand up. The same thing happened with 11th yellow packs when a full box worth hit the market. The price dropped significantly, and the same thing would happen here.
Few people care about 11th yellow packs so that was a given.  I am willing to bet red series 1,2,3 original packs are far more desirable to the average collector.  Weird that Eric didn't even bid on the full box.  I think that strongly indicates he plans to kill the packs.

• Administrator
« Reply #93 on: June 23, 2016, 09:05:24 PM »
Only one of the boxes was full so it isn't logical to say the bidders for the 25 pack box were bidding to get a full box to show case, that box looked like hell.
wasn't referring to the partial. we were talking about the full box.

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #94 on: June 23, 2016, 09:06:13 PM »
Few people care about 11th yellow packs so that was a given.  I am willing to bet red series 1,2,3 original packs are far more desirable to the average collector.  Weird that Eric didn't even bid on the full box.  I think that strongly indicates he plans to kill the packs.

Obviously killing those packs is a financial boondoggle, but Eric probably doesn't care about that, so more power to him. If he gets a few nice stickers I'm sure he'll be happy.

Offline bandaches

« Reply #95 on: June 23, 2016, 10:14:31 PM »
Ok, I don't see 4 bidders that made the price of this box so I assumed the discussion of 4 bidders was across both auctions(Tom?).  The bidding on the other box was similar price per pack given the box in the other auction was trashed.

Offline bandaches

« Reply #96 on: June 23, 2016, 10:17:58 PM »
Obviously killing those packs is a financial boondoggle, but Eric probably doesn't care about that, so more power to him. If he gets a few nice stickers I'm sure he'll be happy.
I would agree but I am not up to speed on what people would pay for PSA9 or PSA 10 series 3 titles.   I killed a series 2 pack years ago(one I got from Brian) and got 6 stickers in the pack.  I just couldn't resist the urge to relive opening such an early series pack.  Wouldn't that be a hoot here if these packs were over stuffed? 

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #97 on: June 24, 2016, 04:16:33 AM »
Unless the packs were stored immaculately over the last 40 years, one sticker is likely to have a gum stain in every pack. Value wise, the contents will not approach the price paid, but again, that only matters if you care.

« Reply #98 on: June 24, 2016, 07:28:56 AM »
Did anybody ask the seller to describe the backs of the opened third series stickers?  Given production timeline, the 3rd series white backs would have been in red packs.  These might have been a steal, if they're minty 3rd whites.

Offline bandaches

« Reply #99 on: June 24, 2016, 01:54:52 PM »
Did anybody ask the seller to describe the backs of the opened third series stickers?  Given production timeline, the 3rd series white backs would have been in red packs.  These might have been a steal, if they're minty 3rd whites.
I tried to get the info from him but no luck. I even offered to drive there as he is like 40 minutes from my house to help him assess what he has, nada, he really couldn't care less as shown by the additional text added to his ebay auction descriptions.

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #100 on: June 25, 2016, 01:56:04 PM »
I hope some of the packs get opened and the wrappers sold - I could use a red wrapper.

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #101 on: June 25, 2016, 06:05:50 PM »
I hope some of the packs get opened and the wrappers sold - I could use a red wrapper.

Ask George Wright...he just may have an extra or two...

Offline Tom Keen

« Reply #102 on: June 27, 2016, 11:29:45 AM »
No, the 4 bidders I was referring to crossed both box auctions.  There aren't 4 bidders who drove up the price of the full box.

Offline Tom Keen

« Reply #103 on: June 27, 2016, 11:30:56 AM »
Ok, I don't see 4 bidders that made the price of this box so I assumed the discussion of 4 bidders was across both auctions(Tom?).  The bidding on the other box was similar price per pack given the box in the other auction was trashed.
First, why are you not band-ache?  What's up with the "s"?

Anyway, you are correct, I was referring to bidders across both auctions.  A simple review of the bid history shows this.

Offline Tom Keen

« Reply #104 on: June 27, 2016, 11:31:51 AM »
I've seen many red wrappers on ebay over the years.  They are far from rare.