Author Topic: Wacky Packages 50th Anniversary  (Read 33330 times)

Offline NationalSpittoon

Re: Wacky Packages 50th Anniversary
« Reply #70 on: August 14, 2016, 02:19:01 PM »
I'm ready to start sketchin!!!!

Yes, please.

Offline Choke_Wagon

• Yeeeeeeeee-ha!
« Reply #71 on: August 14, 2016, 09:23:37 PM »
I would hope more teasers are in the works. The ad in the Star Wars seems very vague but at least they are announcing that they will do something in 2017.

Offline DrDeal

« Reply #72 on: August 15, 2016, 07:05:21 AM »
Called Topps. Spoke to Mike. He is looking into the 50th Set for us and will also advise if they plan on doing Wackies for Throwback Thursdays. I forwarded him the link to The Facebook page with the 50th pdf.  Time will tell.

Andrew

Offline NationalSpittoon

« Reply #73 on: August 15, 2016, 08:42:18 AM »
I wonder if my email had anything in the realms with this project. I sent them my list for a possible Flashback 3, so maybe that woke them up about the Wacky Packages, and maybe they will use the titles I suggested. There is a big doubt with my email concerned, but there's always a very slight possibility.

Taz

Re: Wacky Packages 50th Anniversa
« Reply #74 on: August 15, 2016, 03:38:32 PM »
If Topps does release a 50th anniversary series, I hope they put some thought into it and make it special.  At this point, 2017 is going to be an expensive year between Wackys 50th and the IPhone 10 year anniversaries.

Offline Dopey Whip

• Non-sports 1950's & Up, Wacky Packages 1973 & Up
« Reply #75 on: August 15, 2016, 06:29:28 PM »
If Topps does release a 50th anniversary series, I hope they put some thought into it and make it special.  At this point, 2017 is going to be an expensive year between Wackys 50th and the IPhone 10 year anniversaries.

between what? an IPhone? not even close... Justing thinking all the money I'll will be saving and have saved not falling into that trap. And best of all I won't need to upgrade all my accessories with some new gimmick plug.

Taz

« Reply #76 on: August 15, 2016, 06:36:15 PM »
between what? an IPhone? not even close... Justing thinking all the money I'll will be saving and have saved not falling into that trap. And best of all I won't need to upgrade all my accessories with some new gimmick plug.

Okay probie!

Offline Dopey Whip

• Non-sports 1950's & Up, Wacky Packages 1973 & Up
« Reply #77 on: August 15, 2016, 06:47:18 PM »
Okay probie!

rookie at? here, wp, or Apple? Must be here, WP and Computers i have been using since the 70's.

Offline crackedjerk

« Reply #78 on: August 16, 2016, 07:27:12 PM »
I'm very happy to hear Topps is planning something for Wacky's 50th anniversary.  I'll remain cautiosly optimistic that it will be in the spirit of the original Wackys and not all colored border, multiple parallel junk.  I'm glad to see the original series titles pictured (which, if I'm not mistaken, are the magnets from ANS2).  Please, Topps, don't blow this!

Offline fbvikes

« Reply #79 on: September 24, 2016, 11:30:51 PM »
I would love to see Topps bring back the 5 cent packs for limited time for the 50th.  2 Stickers and a puzzle piece.  Card stock and look similar to the originals.  Also put them in the old style boxes and sell that at 7-Eleven again.  30-33 base set.   This would not be old school as the series would feature parodies of the existing products.  Also have what would amount to a "golden ticket" pack that would feature one original die cut from 1967.  These could be inserted in every 1 out of 500 packs.  The die cut would replace the puzzle piece.  No gum as we do not want the stickers or the puzzle pieces compromised.  Also original wax packs.   Do one set every three months throughout 2017.  Do the 5c packs for 30 days (Jan/April/July/Oct) of the 90 days sold for each set.   4 total sets or 120-130 stickers.  All new except the die cut inserts from the original series.   I would also like to see a subset put in a food product like Wonder Bread or a cereal.  These could be a "best of the first 50 years" set.   The series could be part of an online vote by the Wacky community to determine the stickers in the set.  Topps would sell a ton if this came to pass.  Wishful thinking...

Fbvikes

Offline DrDeal

« Reply #80 on: September 25, 2016, 04:18:46 AM »
Great ideas. I am saving funds to buy a bunch of whatever is released. It's great to know they are planning some type of release next year.

Until then, its one pack of WP chrome per day for me.  :)

Andrew

Offline Zenergizer

« Reply #81 on: September 25, 2016, 02:40:41 PM »
I would love to see Topps bring back the 5 cent packs for limited time for the 50th.  2 Stickers and a puzzle piece.  Card stock and look similar to the originals.  Also put them in the old style boxes and sell that at 7-Eleven again.  30-33 base set.   This would not be old school as the series would feature parodies of the existing products.  Also have what would amount to a "golden ticket" pack that would feature one original die cut from 1967.  These could be inserted in every 1 out of 500 packs.  The die cut would replace the puzzle piece.  No gum as we do not want the stickers or the puzzle pieces compromised.  Also original wax packs.   Do one set every three months throughout 2017.  Do the 5c packs for 30 days (Jan/April/July/Oct) of the 90 days sold for each set.   4 total sets or 120-130 stickers.  All new except the die cut inserts from the original series.   I would also like to see a subset put in a food product like Wonder Bread or a cereal.  These could be a "best of the first 50 years" set.   The series could be part of an online vote by the Wacky community to determine the stickers in the set.  Topps would sell a ton if this came to pass.  Wishful thinking...

Fbvikes

LOL!  Good luck with that one!  It's certainly wishful thinking, but Topps, and any other company that did this, would be bankrupt in a heartbeat!

Offline bigtomi

« Reply #82 on: September 25, 2016, 03:30:44 PM »
LOL!  Good luck with that one!  It's certainly wishful thinking, but Topps, and any other company that did this, would be bankrupt in a heartbeat!
Thanks for saying this. I was thinking the same while reading fbvikes' post, but didn't externalize it.

Offline Choke_Wagon

• Yeeeeeeeee-ha!
« Reply #83 on: September 25, 2016, 11:18:06 PM »
Its been rather quiet on this front from Topps. We are now getting into the tail end of 2016 and no more teasers have been announced. I just hope its something worth waiting. 50 years is rather a big deal and not that far back when Topps started with Baseball Cards- they are celebrating 65 years this year and have some special cards with foil logo on it.

Online Joe G.

« Reply #84 on: September 26, 2016, 11:58:59 AM »
I thought that what Topps did for GPK 30th was pretty great.  Of course, GPK out sells Wackys so there was incentive to do a really nice set.  I'm with Dr Deal on this one.  Happy we'll have something for the 50th and glad the Wacky revival has lasted over a dozen years. 

Offline fbvikes

« Reply #85 on: September 26, 2016, 09:28:36 PM »
Obviously, they will not do this.  Just having some fun with it.  I do think that they should poll the buyers of the product for the 50 best and distribute that set.  Also, they could easily contract with a food manufacture to put the stickers in some cereal boxes or another product.  So the 5 cent idea was pie in the sky, the rest could and should be done.  Just my two cents (or 5 in this case).

Offline crackedjerk

« Reply #86 on: October 10, 2016, 06:47:02 PM »
Obviously, they will not do this.  Just having some fun with it.  I do think that they should poll the buyers of the product for the 50 best and distribute that set.  Also, they could easily contract with a food manufacture to put the stickers in some cereal boxes or another product.  So the 5 cent idea was pie in the sky, the rest could and should be done.  Just my two cents (or 5 in this case).

I'd love to see Wackys in a cereal box.  But, for that matter, I'd love to see any prizes in cereal boxes.  As for the first part of your post, other than the price (meaning it would have to be at least a buck, I imagine), I would hope it's not so incredibly far-fetched.  That is, I'd love to see a few stickers in an inexpensive pack.  Forget all the bells and whistles, or at least no more than one or two.  When Wackys restarted back in '04, there was a nice small number of bells and whistles and a decent product for a reasonable price.  It all got too convoluted, in my opinion, as the years went on.

Online Fanatical_and_Sickly

• Administrator
« Reply #87 on: October 10, 2016, 07:34:20 PM »
I'd love to see Wackys in a cereal box.  But, for that matter, I'd love to see any prizes in cereal boxes.  As for the first part of your post, other than the price (meaning it would have to be at least a buck, I imagine), I would hope it's not so incredibly far-fetched.  That is, I'd love to see a few stickers in an inexpensive pack.  Forget all the bells and whistles, or at least no more than one or two.  When Wackys restarted back in '04, there was a nice small number of bells and whistles and a decent product for a reasonable price.  It all got too convoluted, in my opinion, as the years went on.
wackys in cereal would be fun. Just no 'rare' ones, or else the pack searchers will start fingering all the cereal boxes.

I suppose the 'cheap' wackys have been around, with the simple dollar packs at the Dollar Tree store that have no inserts. Except we all know that's there's still a full set with all the bells and whistles out there as well.

Offline Gurgle

• recommends zircon-encrusted tweezers
« Reply #88 on: October 10, 2016, 07:44:27 PM »
wackys in cereal would be fun. Just no 'rare' ones, or else the pack searchers will start fingering all the cereal boxes.

I just threw up in my mouth a little.

Online Joe G.

« Reply #89 on: October 11, 2016, 02:06:21 PM »

I suppose the 'cheap' wackys have been around, with the simple dollar packs at the Dollar Tree store that have no inserts. Except we all know that's there's still a full set with all the bells and whistles out there as well.

Patrick, you're right the $1 Wacky Packs are a blast and seem to be exactly what's being asked for.  4 cards for a buck with no bells and whistles.  I think Topps has been producing them for at least the last 4 sets.  Best part is they're only available at Dollar stores so you have to hunt them down!

Offline Alexeirex

« Reply #90 on: October 11, 2016, 05:29:03 PM »
I just threw up in my mouth a little.

Ba hahahaha....A