Author Topic: Wacky Packages 50th Anniversary  (Read 33191 times)

Offline slamjim

• OLDS11 in late 2023!
Re: Wacky Packages 50th Anniversary
« Reply #35 on: April 28, 2016, 11:36:46 AM »
No, we don't need 50 people. But the idea was to bring in guys from series past and present to give the set an historical timeline (so you'd have the os represented by guys like Jay, the 80's series by Pound and so on. The biggest issue was getting enough of them to sign on, which admittedly would have been a monumental task. Anyway, if it were going to happen, it would've needed to be planned 2 years ago. Perhaps for the 75th...

K, I thought you meant random artists (something like they have done for GPK) doing their own take rather than everyone that they can find that has done work on WP in the past. I would have been down with that. Still, they can still do a set based on what we've suggested using all the guys who are still doing WP.

Offline koduck

• Administrator
  • Make it snappy!
« Reply #36 on: April 28, 2016, 11:44:42 AM »
K, I thought you meant random artists (something like they have done for GPK) doing their own take rather than everyone that they can find that has done work on WP in the past. I would have been down with that. Still, they can still do a set based on what we've suggested using all the guys who are still doing WP.

The trickiest part of this 50th celebration will be to find a formula that makes sense to the most people. I'm not really claiming to have the answers, just throwing out some ideas and hoping one or two stick!

Anyway, at the very least, your Weird Wheels/Wacky set should happen!

Offline sco(o)t

• Looking:Postcard Ser4 BUGWEISER Smokin' Joe sketch
« Reply #37 on: April 28, 2016, 11:46:56 AM »
We don't need 50 people. Just split them up between the people who work on Wackys the most. Problem solved.

There have been what, about 25 or 30 artists, involved with Wacky Packages stickers  and sketch cards since ANS1? Or is the number higher? I realize a bigger portion of them have done sketch cards and not necessarily  the finished artwork for stickers so it does seem like it would be pretty difficult to gather that many artists to do one apiece. in addition, without trying to sound like a jerk, I believe there are a set of artists us fans would enjoy seeing do the majority of the artwork and perhaps some, not so much.   :-X
« Last Edit: April 28, 2016, 11:48:50 AM by sco(o)t »
aka Scot Leibacher (no trademark)

Offline sco(o)t

• Looking:Postcard Ser4 BUGWEISER Smokin' Joe sketch
« Reply #38 on: April 28, 2016, 11:48:35 AM »
No, we don't need 50 people. But the idea was to bring in guys from series past and present to give the set an historical timeline (so you'd have the os represented by guys like Jay, the 80's series by Pound and so on. The biggest issue was getting enough of them to sign on, which admittedly would have been a monumental task. Anyway, if it were going to happen, it would've needed to be planned 2 years ago. Perhaps for the 75th...

Ack! I don't know if I will still be around for the 75th Anniversary.   :o
aka Scot Leibacher (no trademark)

Offline koduck

• Administrator
  • Make it snappy!
« Reply #39 on: April 28, 2016, 11:51:15 AM »
Ack! I don't know if I will still be around for the 75th Anniversary.   :o

Hang in there buddy! It'll be worth the wait!

Offline koduck

• Administrator
  • Make it snappy!
« Reply #40 on: April 28, 2016, 11:55:54 AM »
There have been what, about 25 or 30 artists, involved with Wacky Packages stickers  and sketch cards since ANS1? Or is the number higher? I realize a bigger portion of them have done sketch cards and not necessarily  the finished artwork for stickers so it does seem like it would be pretty difficult to gather that many artists to do one apiece. in addition, without trying to sound like a jerk, I believe there are a set of artists us fans would enjoy seeing do the majority of the artwork and perhaps some, not so much.   :-X

There's been quite a few "one and done" artists in the mix, so 25-30 seems about right.

Offline Zenergizer

« Reply #41 on: April 28, 2016, 07:23:40 PM »
Any of these ideas would be incredible, and a great tribute to our important anniversary!

And we can always dream, someday dreams will come true!

(cue the "Wizard of Oz" music....)

Offline crackedjerk

« Reply #42 on: May 03, 2016, 01:09:21 PM »
#1 - A full on Wacky Packages coffee table book featuring the entire history of WP up to date. The material is all there just a huge undertaking to do.

#2 - Definitely a brand new series of STICKERS. Emphasis on stickers and not sketch cards and subsets and all that stuff. No OS rehash. We all have a ton of images of these. Why would any care if it has a different background, or card back or is shiny chrome. I just don't get it. The ONLY version of OS I would be into would be oversized cards. 4x6 or something. No series: No mash ups, no baseball, just products the way they are intended to be. I haven't looked to see if all the die-cut products are still around but if they are you could do a set featuring all 44 of those products again, same numbering but in their modern form. New jokes of course. If it's for the Internet you don't have to worry too much about subsets but if it's a retail product, yeah, they are going to need them.

#3 Also, a new Old School and a new Postcard set. It's the 50th Anniversary. May as well throw all the series into the mix over the course of the year. If I did a new OLDS I'd love to do more vintage baseball cards or perhaps football. Definitely would love to do the Weird Wheels / Wacky Packages series I pitched to them years ago.

Dreaming with you Paul...

I like the idea of a Weird Wheels-Wacky mashup.  I also like the idea of it being a subset, but if the quality is like the Jail-O you proposed, I think it could sustain itself.  I would just like to know something good is coming down the pike, even if that's not it.  I hope you Wacky artists will keep pushing for something :)

Offline Beanball

« Reply #43 on: May 05, 2016, 06:06:39 PM »
Post card Wackies please, including titles from Halloween sets. How about  previosly pulled titles also.

Offline koduck

• Administrator
  • Make it snappy!
« Reply #44 on: May 05, 2016, 06:09:25 PM »
Post card Wackies please, including titles from Halloween sets. How about  previosly pulled titles also.

A 50th Anniversary Halloween postcard set would be the best! Too bad we'd have to wait until so late in the year!

Offline ratchet007

« Reply #45 on: May 06, 2016, 11:43:44 AM »
If you are involved Neil, it would definately be worth the wait.  :great:  :great:

Offline koduck

• Administrator
  • Make it snappy!
« Reply #46 on: May 06, 2016, 04:05:37 PM »
If you are involved Neil, it would definately be worth the wait.  :great:  :great:

That mighty kind of you! I think a Halloween postcard set is way overdue!

Offline Choke_Wagon

• Yeeeeeeeee-ha!
« Reply #47 on: May 07, 2016, 09:23:49 AM »
How expensive is it to put together a Postcard set? Most of these are done on a digital press which means the set up and runs are low and really doesnt cost a lot of money to produce. It can very easily be done on demand.

Offline koduck

• Administrator
  • Make it snappy!
« Reply #48 on: May 08, 2016, 10:25:46 AM »
The print costs are pretty low (at least when compared to an ANS set), but the labor costs were considerable due to the custom elements. For example, each set needed to be collated, numbered and wrapped by hand.

Offline lucidjc

« Reply #49 on: May 08, 2016, 02:24:25 PM »
"labor costs"

That's sad, most of us would do this for free.

Jim

Offline koduck

• Administrator
  • Make it snappy!
« Reply #50 on: May 08, 2016, 03:22:25 PM »
Agreed!

Offline Choke_Wagon

• Yeeeeeeeee-ha!
« Reply #51 on: May 08, 2016, 08:59:22 PM »
The print costs are pretty low (at least when compared to an ANS set), but the labor costs were considerable due to the custom elements. For example, each set needed to be collated, numbered and wrapped by hand.

At my printing company, this is done by one person and is done fairly quick once a logical flow is established.  Paying someone $15 an hour would take them not long to mass package this.

Offline DrDeal

« Reply #52 on: May 09, 2016, 05:22:06 AM »
That's sad, most of us would do this for free.

Jim

I am confident that if Topps expressed a need for free labor; that myself and a few others would make a road trip to help out for a day or so.

Please advise if we need to take a few days off from work in order to make the WP 50th Set happen. We stand ready.

Andrew

Offline deadpresidentsvisa

« Reply #53 on: May 09, 2016, 05:39:46 AM »
                                                                  I'm sure they would supply the doughnutz
"DID YOU TRY MONKEYING WITH IT" FROM *THE HOT ROCK*....ROBERT REDFORD...ZERO MOSTEL

Offline Jean Nutty

« Reply #54 on: May 09, 2016, 11:17:31 AM »

Please advise if we need to take a few days off from work in order to make the WP 50th Set happen. We stand ready.

Harm and Hammer . . .  we are prepared to march

Offline View-Monster

« Reply #55 on: August 12, 2016, 10:00:30 PM »

Offline NationalSpittoon

« Reply #57 on: August 13, 2016, 05:46:24 AM »

Offline DrDeal

« Reply #58 on: August 13, 2016, 06:00:48 AM »
Game On!

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #59 on: August 13, 2016, 06:47:07 AM »
Why would a major Wacky Anniversary announcement be on a Star Wars page?

Offline DrDeal

« Reply #60 on: August 13, 2016, 06:56:04 AM »
Why would a major Wacky Anniversary announcement be on a Star Wars page?

Cross promotion. Don't forget Star Wars/ Wacky Packages.....Best Set Ever!   Except it was cancelled.

Offline vahsurfer

« Reply #61 on: August 13, 2016, 08:49:13 AM »
If you only knew the POWER of the Dark Side!

Offline Fanatical_and_Sickly

• Administrator
« Reply #62 on: August 13, 2016, 09:15:24 AM »
Hmm, using packaging? I'll have to see it to understand it.
just a redundant way of describing most every wacky package image

Offline bigtomi

« Reply #63 on: August 13, 2016, 11:38:00 AM »
Hmm, using packaging? I'll have to see it to understand it.
You don't understand that Wacky Packages involve packaging?

Offline Joe G.

« Reply #64 on: August 13, 2016, 11:58:27 AM »
This is awesome, we made it!  When Wackys came back in 2004 who thought it would last all the way to the 50th.  At this point we've had a dozen straight years of Wacky goodness and that's one more reason to celebrate next year.  If any forum members ever thought of doing up a little Forum Wacky Treat, I'd say next year is the year to do it!  Let's try to fill up 2017 with as much Wackiness as possible.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2016, 12:09:41 PM by Joe G. »

Offline Zenergizer

« Reply #65 on: August 13, 2016, 04:18:17 PM »
Count me in, Joe!  The set sounds very promising, and hopefully we'll have a lot of extras and surprises to please us all, along with everyone out there, too!

Keep the Wacky flame alive!

Offline View-Monster

« Reply #66 on: August 13, 2016, 04:48:56 PM »
Not sure why it was on the Topps Star Wars page myself. They also recently posted about the Mars Attacks 55th anniversary set.

--
V-M

Offline koduck

• Administrator
  • Make it snappy!
« Reply #67 on: August 13, 2016, 05:09:46 PM »
Not sure why it was on the Topps Star Wars page myself. They also recently posted about the Mars Attacks 55th anniversary set.

--
V-M

Maybe they posted these on the Star Wars page because they figured that's where they'd get the most views? Just a hunch...

Offline DrDeal

« Reply #68 on: August 13, 2016, 05:45:52 PM »
What did they post about Mars Attacks 55th?

Online Scheres

• toyghoul.com
« Reply #69 on: August 14, 2016, 11:01:09 AM »
I'm ready to start sketchin!!!!

anything