Author Topic: Wacky Packages 50th Anniversary  (Read 33383 times)

Offline DrDeal

Wacky Packages 50th Anniversary
« on: April 23, 2016, 03:29:48 PM »
Any word on the celebration plans for our beloved brand? 2016 is the 50th year of Wackies.  I can certainly see a 50th Anniversary of Wacky Packages set coming to retail or ShopTopps.  Maybe one of the artists could comment?

Online koduck

• Administrator
  • Make it snappy!
Re: Wacky Packages 50th Anniversary
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2016, 03:45:01 PM »
Any word on the celebration plans for our beloved brand? 2016 is the 50th year of Wackies.  I can certainly see a 50th Anniversary of Wacky Packages set coming to retail or ShopTopps.  Maybe one of the artists could comment?

no word yet

Online Joe G.

« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2016, 04:43:36 PM »
Wait, I thought next year 2017 would be the official 50th, isn't that correct?  This year happens to be the 50th anniversary of Captain Action which is another childhood brand I'm a big fan of.

Online koduck

• Administrator
  • Make it snappy!
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2016, 06:10:17 PM »
Wait, I thought next year 2017 would be the official 50th, isn't that correct?  This year happens to be the 50th anniversary of Captain Action which is another childhood brand I'm a big fan of.

Yes, that's correct: 2017 is the official 50th. I think what Andrew meant was that he's hoping for an announcement in 2016.

Offline Choke_Wagon

• Yeeeeeeeee-ha!
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2016, 07:03:01 PM »
Correct, the first diecut punchout set came out in 1967.I would imagine Topps officials are talking or planning something- I HOPE :o

Offline dth1971

« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2016, 08:22:21 PM »
One suggestion: Different sets of the best 50 Wacky Packages of all time in a few seperate sets:
* The best 50 from the 1967 and original 16 sticker series plus 1985 and 1991 series.
* The best 50 from the 11 All New Series stickers sets plus 2014 and 2015 series.
* The best 50 from the Wacky Packages Old School series and lost/cutting room floor Wacky Packages entries (this includes the never released Star Wars Wacky Packages series unless Disney still has a grudge on Wacky Packages)
...and they can be determined by online/Facebook/Twitter voting.

Online koduck

• Administrator
  • Make it snappy!
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2016, 08:25:35 AM »
Or just the 50 greatest Wackys of all-time.

Online Joe G.

« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2016, 09:40:50 AM »
Or just the 50 greatest Wackys of all-time.

How about voting for a 'best of' from each series.  That would be around 50 and then every Wacky set would be represented.

Online koduck

• Administrator
  • Make it snappy!
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2016, 10:56:48 AM »
Nice! Personally, I'd love to see Topps let the forum vote on the 50 best! It would make for some very interesting discussions!

Online Joe G.

« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2016, 02:34:22 PM »
Neil, your right!  I wonder what the remaining 6 would be.  I naturally assume all 44 die cuts would be included.

Online koduck

• Administrator
  • Make it snappy!
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2016, 02:54:03 PM »
Neil, your right!  I wonder what the remaining 6 would be.  I naturally assume all 44 die cuts would be included.

Ha! That's pretty close to a perfect list! Just add a few extra original series titles like Choke Wagon, Sleepy, Runaway Vitamins, Screech Tape, Shot Wheels and Putrid Cat Chow and you've got your set!

Offline bigtomi

« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2016, 03:45:30 PM »
Ha! That's pretty close to a perfect list! Just add a few extra original series titles like Choke Wagon, Sleepy, Runaway Vitamins, Screech Tape, Shot Wheels and Putrid Cat Chow and you've got your set!
WHHHAAATTTT!?!?!?   No Koduck!?!?!?       :o   :]

Offline Choke_Wagon

• Yeeeeeeeee-ha!
« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2016, 08:08:48 PM »

:P Choke Wagon Approves ;)

Offline DrDeal

« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2016, 03:55:49 AM »
If we are talking the 50 Greatest Wackies;  why not include the ANS series and Old School releases for voting? We could vote for cards from ALL releases. I would want Flunkies Cereal from Old School in the mix.

Andrew

Online koduck

• Administrator
  • Make it snappy!
« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2016, 07:43:49 AM »
WHHHAAATTTT!?!?!?   No Koduck!?!?!?       :o   :]

It's definitely high on my list, but honestly, there's just  too many great titles, and koduck would probably fall somewhere around 75ish in my own ranking :)

And speaking of honesty, I think it would be great to include newer series on the best of all time list, but (since I'm being honest), I just can't think of many that compare to Norm, especially when he was at his best. And that's not to say there aren't some truly great titles in ANS, etc. (there definitely are - Kiss Kat comes immediately to mind!), but pound for pound Norm is the title belt-wearing, king-of-the-mountain heavyweight and the rest of us are just hoping to go a few rounds in the ring before they call the fight  ;)
« Last Edit: April 26, 2016, 07:51:23 AM by koduck »

Offline BustedFinger

• Just a simple collector. No books, no websites, no arguments!
  • I wonder where this text will appear?
« Reply #15 on: April 26, 2016, 06:51:08 PM »
And speaking of honesty, I think it would be great to include newer series on the best of all time list, but (since I'm being honest), I just can't think of many that compare to Norm, especially when he was at his best. And that's not to say there aren't some truly great titles in ANS, etc. (there definitely are - Kiss Kat comes immediately to mind!), but pound for pound Norm is the title belt-wearing, king-of-the-mountain heavyweight and the rest of us are just hoping to go a few rounds in the ring before they call the fight  ;)
I would vote for Cannibals Soup from ANS.  I still say that is probably the best ANS title.
Giving "The Hobby" the finger since 1999!

Online koduck

• Administrator
  • Make it snappy!
« Reply #16 on: April 27, 2016, 04:36:23 AM »
Yep, that's another great one! Smokin' Joe has made some really iconic Wackys over the years: Cobra Cola, Zilla Wafers, etc.! He's got the Wacky mindset down to a "T"!

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: April 27, 2016, 06:02:46 AM »
Yep, that's another great one! Smokin' Joe has made some really iconic Wackys over the years: Cobra Cola, Zilla Wafers, etc.! He's got the Wacky mindset down to a "T"!

Stickers from the ANS series are readily available.  How about stickers from the postcard sets?

That being said, I would love nice quality stickers from OS 1-16.  Maybe they could do what was possibly going to be reissue 5?

Online koduck

• Administrator
  • Make it snappy!
« Reply #18 on: April 27, 2016, 07:05:32 AM »
Stickers from the ANS series are readily available.  How about stickers from the postcard sets?

That being said, I would love nice quality stickers from OS 1-16.  Maybe they could do what was possibly going to be reissue 5?

Oh yeah! Someone, somewhere must have the original printing plates for OS 1-16! I just can't imagine anyone getting rid of those. If they ever surface, Topps could print a heck of a reissue set!

Online Joe G.

« Reply #19 on: April 27, 2016, 08:18:32 AM »
Well, I'm not sure we need another OS re-issue set.  I don't collect re-issues but it seems most of them have been done to death.  It would be great to mix it up and include roughs and feature the work of as many artists as possible.  That way it could show the process and how Wackys have evolved over the years.

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #20 on: April 27, 2016, 10:52:02 AM »
As usual, it would seem to come down to who such a set is being marketed to. If Topps thinks a big 50th Anniversary publicity sweep would bring out what few members of the general public still haven't been reminded of wackys, then a "best of" sticker set (prominently featuring die cuts and original series) would make sense.

If Topps is just catering to the hardcore fans, then it would probably be very different.

Offline sco(o)t

• Looking:Postcard Ser4 BUGWEISER Smokin' Joe sketch
« Reply #21 on: April 27, 2016, 02:12:31 PM »
I love the Original series Wackys but, to tell the truth, I already own them in several formats (e,g, original stickers, reprints, chrome, books, etc.). I really don't want to see another rehash. I would rather see a mixture of new items and something that incorporates some of the old titles with a twist. For example, I have enjoyed the WHAT'S IN THE BOX and the WHERE ARE THEY NOW subsets on some recent series that incorporate the old titles in a new way. The Mashups seem to be liked by many of us (e.g. switching the dog from one product title to another). I like the idea of a lenticular that morphs from the Wacky product to the actual product but that may be difficult with licensing, etc.  Even postcard format cards would be cool. I am sure there are more creative thinkers than I out there.
aka Scot Leibacher (no trademark)

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #22 on: April 27, 2016, 05:36:53 PM »
A lenticular set would be fantastic, but I was afraid that would be asking for too much.

I realize many titles have been reissued, but a lot haven't been redone as stickers - I like to stick some of my Wackys, and Chrome helped me there not at all.

I also confess that I liked the Flashback sets because they gave me Wackys I could appreciate and stick.  My main beef with those was the undersized images (secondary beefs being titles like Cap'n Crud and Gulp).

Offline crackedjerk

« Reply #23 on: April 27, 2016, 05:40:11 PM »
I'd love to see Topps do anything for the 50th anniversary at this point.  As some have stated, simply reprinting even the "best of" isn't at the top of my list, but I'd still certainly buy them, especially if it came with the fun of ripping open packs.  Even more than that, however, I'd love to see a really well done book covering 50 years of wackiness.  My ideal book would probably only appeal to a relatively small number of people, but I'd still love to see it.  Otherwise, I love to see Wacky merchandise of most any kind, whether it's something that's already been done (shirts, drinking glasses, folders, etc) or something brand new (too many possibilities to mention), celebrate the special anniversary.

Offline Choke_Wagon

• Yeeeeeeeee-ha!
« Reply #24 on: April 27, 2016, 08:10:34 PM »
I would like maybe a 50 Anniversary Post Card collection with some open voting spanning the 50 years so we can decide.

Offline 7-Pup

« Reply #25 on: April 28, 2016, 01:04:21 AM »
I love the Original series Wackys but, to tell the truth, I already own them in several formats (e,g, original stickers, reprints, chrome, books, etc.). I really don't want to see another rehash. I would rather see a mixture of new items and something that incorporates some of the old titles with a twist. For example, I have enjoyed the WHAT'S IN THE BOX and the WHERE ARE THEY NOW subsets on some recent series that incorporate the old titles in a new way. The Mashups seem to be liked by many of us (e.g. switching the dog from one product title to another). I like the idea of a lenticular that morphs from the Wacky product to the actual product but that may be difficult with licensing, etc.  Even postcard format cards would be cool. I am sure there are more creative thinkers than I out there.
I would not want to see another rehash series either. How about a Wonky Package set featuring 50 of the best OS 1-16 titles?

Online koduck

• Administrator
  • Make it snappy!
« Reply #26 on: April 28, 2016, 07:31:51 AM »
I would not want to see another rehash series either. How about a Wonky Package set featuring 50 of the best OS 1-16 titles?

Yes, a Wonky Packages set would be great and I'd be totally willing to design 50 of 'em ;) especially for the 50th!

As for the regular OS 1-16 titles, I was actually thinking that if the printing plates were ever found, they could print some of the titles where the original artwork is lost (or missing). The Abrams books did a noble job of including every 1-14 title, but it's easy to tell when they used scans of the stickers. The original printing plates could fix all that.

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #27 on: April 28, 2016, 08:24:22 AM »
I have to say that some of the more obscure ideas being suggested here, while they would certainly make good sets, don't seem to have the magnitude appropriate for a 50th Anniversary. Not sure what would, but I think it would have to be somewhat mainstream to seem like a proper celebration.

Offline Zenergizer

« Reply #28 on: April 28, 2016, 08:56:16 AM »
I'd personally love to see a set consisting of:

50 of the best "classic" original series Wackies (yes, Wackies should be plural, as they are like royalty to us!)
50 of the best "ANS" titles
50 new ANS titles

And maybe a few interesting subsets, perhaps an "Old School"-style group?
A few of the best Postcard titles?

Just dreaming....  8)

Offline slamjim

• OLDS11 in late 2023!
« Reply #29 on: April 28, 2016, 10:05:57 AM »
#1 - A full on Wacky Packages coffee table book featuring the entire history of WP up to date. The material is all there just a huge undertaking to do.

#2 - Definitely a brand new series of STICKERS. Emphasis on stickers and not sketch cards and subsets and all that stuff. No OS rehash. We all have a ton of images of these. Why would any care if it has a different background, or card back or is shiny chrome. I just don't get it. The ONLY version of OS I would be into would be oversized cards. 4x6 or something. No series: No mash ups, no baseball, just products the way they are intended to be. I haven't looked to see if all the die-cut products are still around but if they are you could do a set featuring all 44 of those products again, same numbering but in their modern form. New jokes of course. If it's for the Internet you don't have to worry too much about subsets but if it's a retail product, yeah, they are going to need them.

#3 Also, a new Old School and a new Postcard set. It's the 50th Anniversary. May as well throw all the series into the mix over the course of the year. If I did a new OLDS I'd love to do more vintage baseball cards or perhaps football. Definitely would love to do the Weird Wheels / Wacky Packages series I pitched to them years ago.

Dreaming with you Paul...

Online koduck

• Administrator
  • Make it snappy!
« Reply #30 on: April 28, 2016, 10:38:20 AM »
#1 - A full on Wacky Packages coffee table book featuring the entire history of WP up to date. The material is all there just a huge undertaking to do.

#2 - Definitely a brand new series of STICKERS. Emphasis on stickers and not sketch cards and subsets and all that stuff. No OS rehash. We all have a ton of images of these. Why would any care if it has a different background, or card back or is shiny chrome. I just don't get it. The ONLY version of OS I would be into would be oversized cards. 4x6 or something. No series: No mash ups, no baseball, just products the way they are intended to be. I haven't looked to see if all the die-cut products are still around but if they are you could do a set featuring all 44 of those products again, same numbering but in their modern form. New jokes of course. If it's for the Internet you don't have to worry too much about subsets but if it's a retail product, yeah, they are going to need them.

#3 Also, a new Old School and a new Postcard set. It's the 50th Anniversary. May as well throw all the series into the mix over the course of the year. If I did a new OLDS I'd love to do more vintage baseball cards or perhaps football. Definitely would love to do the Weird Wheels / Wacky Packages series I pitched to them years ago.

Dreaming with you Paul...

Point #1 seems to work for everyone. #2  is ok, but I think there are elements that you're missing that have become important to the success of the new releases (the mashups and sketch cards for instance). #3 is good as far as old school and postcards. The Weird Wheels/Wackys is cool but they're basically a mashup, which you said you were against in point #2.

Online koduck

• Administrator
  • Make it snappy!
« Reply #31 on: April 28, 2016, 10:42:05 AM »
On a related note, I talked with Topps last month about doing a set of 50 classic titles. The twist was that they would be modern renditions repainted by 50 different artists. They liked the idea but said it would be a challenge to get the 50 artists they wanted.

Offline slamjim

• OLDS11 in late 2023!
« Reply #32 on: April 28, 2016, 10:45:50 AM »
Point #1 seems to work for everyone. #2  is ok, but I think there are elements that you're missing that have become important to the success of the new releases (the mashups and sketch cards for instance). #3 is good as far as old school and postcards. The Weird Wheels/Wackys is cool but they're basically a mashup, which you said you were against in point #2.

No, I said I was against a mash-up as a set. Don't care if they are a small subset in any set (a new one or OLDS). Never been against them or sketch cards I'm against any set not having a normal set of WP style stickers in them and that being the main focus. I've used mash-ups in Old School, done sketch cards so they are fine. They are the cherry on top. Not the pie.

As for sketch cards and mash-ups, again, as I said in the post they are probably needed in a retail style set but if it's an online set not really. The GPK stuff they are doing online does not use them. Just my preference.

Just to clarify: In my post that should read New Series not No series and then it lists what I like.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2016, 11:05:57 AM by slamjim »

Offline slamjim

• OLDS11 in late 2023!
« Reply #33 on: April 28, 2016, 10:49:04 AM »
On a related note, I talked with Topps last month about doing a set of 50 classic titles. The twist was that they would be modern renditions repainted by 50 different artists. They liked the idea but said it would be a challenge to get the 50 artists they wanted.

We don't need 50 people. Just split them up between the people who work on Wackys the most. Problem solved.

Online koduck

• Administrator
  • Make it snappy!
« Reply #34 on: April 28, 2016, 11:30:18 AM »
We don't need 50 people. Just split them up between the people who work on Wackys the most. Problem solved.

No, we don't need 50 people. But the idea was to bring in guys from series past and present to give the set an historical timeline (so you'd have the os represented by guys like Jay, the 80's series by Pound and so on. The biggest issue was getting enough of them to sign on, which admittedly would have been a monumental task. Anyway, if it were going to happen, it would've needed to be planned 2 years ago. Perhaps for the 75th...