Author Topic: 2016 Wacky MLB poll  (Read 3718 times)

Offline Zenergizer

2016 Wacky MLB poll
« on: April 08, 2016, 07:51:06 PM »
Hi All,

Now that we've had time to digest the MLB set, what do you all think about it?

Favorite titles?

Least favorite?

How do you like the border variations?  There sure are a lot of them!

Any other categories you can think of?

Offline koduck

• Administrator
  • Make it snappy!
Re: 2016 Wacky MLB poll
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2016, 05:49:17 AM »
Paul,

Thanks for starting a Wacky MLB poll! I like the idea of the various borders, but as an alternative, it would've been cool if they had printed some of the stickers on pennants, baseballs or miniature bats. Might have made for some fun add-ons.

Offline sco(o)t

• Looking:Postcard Ser4 BUGWEISER Smokin' Joe sketch
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2016, 01:08:57 PM »
Hi All,
Now that we've had time to digest the MLB set, what do you all think about it?
Favorite titles?
Least favorite?
How do you like the border variations?  There sure are a lot of them!
Any other categories you can think of?

I ended up enjoying this release more than I had anticipated. I know others have posted contrary to this, but I thought the artwork was well done and the gags are, over all, really nice.

Favorite Major League Team titles based on art and gags:
   Cub's Honey
   D-backs Snake Oil
   Pirate's Eye Patch
   Boston Tea Party Bags
   Met's Deli Meats

Favorite Minor League titles:
   Stone Crab Cakes
   Chihuahuas Hot Dogs

Favorite Ballpark Food Titles:
   Bench Fries
   Peanut Gallery

Not really a big fan of all the border variations. The lace cards look nice and the sepia cards are interesting. The lumber cards are too dark in my opinion. The grass borders don't really enhance many of the titles.

I was glad for the opportunity to get these in 5x7 format.

« Last Edit: April 09, 2016, 01:10:32 PM by sco(o)t »
aka Scot Leibacher (no trademark)

Offline FourRoses

« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2016, 02:19:20 PM »
Paul,

Thanks for starting a Wacky MLB poll! I like the idea of the various borders, but as an alternative, it would've been cool if they had printed some of the stickers on pennants, baseballs or miniature bats. Might have made for some fun add-ons.

How about peanut shaped/looking sketch cards?

Offline Joe G.

« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2016, 04:07:23 PM »
Paul,

Neil super cool idea!  Miniature pennants would have been perfect.  Especially ones that could have been box toppers in collectors boxes!

In terms of my favorites titles, there are many.  Here's a quick list:

A's Gum Balls
Blue Jays Crayons (great gag)
Cubs Honey
Giants Magic Beans
Mets Matzo Ball Soup
Rays Sun Tan Lotion
Reds Catch-Up
White Sox Relish (natch)
7th Inning Taffy (great gag)
Salty Pretzel

I'm a fan of many of the parallels.  Red lace and grass green are super cool and I like the baseball connection.  I like that the ticket stub and stadium seat relics feature Wackys on the front.  Also I like the novelty of the Mascot autograph cards.  Like Scot I'm a big fan of the 5" by 7" card set from the Topps Vault and hope it's something they continue with future series.

Offline Zenergizer

« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2016, 04:16:11 PM »
I very much agree, Joe!  I could have perhaps preferred one or two less parallels, although I love the red lace background!

Faves of mine are:

White Sox Relish
Draft Lottery
Grand Slam Burger
Mariners Sea Salt
Cincinnati Mustache Wax

Offline Fanatical_and_Sickly

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2016, 04:41:17 PM »
I very much agree, Joe!  I could have perhaps preferred one or two less parallels, although I love the red lace background!
parallels seem decent and play along with the theme of the release.

certainly could be worse - I just saw these listed for the 2016 fall Heritage baseball release
• Gum Damage Backs – Backs that mimic the stain and smell from a piece of gum. HOBBY ONLY!
• Flip Stock – Cards are printed with the stock flipped so that the fronts feel like backs, and backs feel like fronts. HOBBY ONLY!

Offline Alexeirex

« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2016, 10:39:22 PM »
My favorites are the Houston Astros Model Rocket Kit, the Giants Bridge cards and the Draft Lottery, mostly because they look like actual products that are not so far-fetched! I also like the game ball gumballs, Braves bubblegum, Cubs Honey, Mets Matzo Ball soup and the Stone Crab cakes - they seem classically wacky!
A