Author Topic: Any word on Wacky Packages 2016?  (Read 33713 times)

Offline JasonLiebig

• CollectingCandy.com
Re: Any word on Wacky Packages 2016?
« Reply #35 on: March 31, 2016, 10:44:23 PM »
The old light blue Star Wars border design is fantastic!  I loved the Heritage set they did a few years ago.

The only recent new card set I can think of that has as distinctive a border is the Jimmy Neutron set Ore Ida produced as packaging inserts.

Topps' recent Star Wars set Journey to The Force Awakens used the 1977 star border extensively an also utilized all kinds of parallels for it.  And I gotta admit, it really drew me in because it played so well upon my nostalgia for the originals.  It was really neat to see purple bordered seemingly-classic Star Wars cards.  I was excited to open them.  And I haven't purchased Star Wars cards in a long long time. 
Jason Liebig - A swell TV host (currently on History Channel) who used to oversee Marvel Comics' X-Men - now creator and curator of WishbookWeb.com and CollectingCandy.com, a celebration of candy packaging, marketing and the people behind it all

Offline JasonLiebig

• CollectingCandy.com
« Reply #36 on: March 31, 2016, 10:46:37 PM »
I remember Danish Go-Rounds! Sort of a second cousin twice removed from Pop-Tarts. Sorry I have no memories to share of sports cards...

When they were introduced they really played upon their "Danish" heritage as you can see on the left, here:

Danish Go-Rounds
by Dan Goodsell, on Flickr
Jason Liebig - A swell TV host (currently on History Channel) who used to oversee Marvel Comics' X-Men - now creator and curator of WishbookWeb.com and CollectingCandy.com, a celebration of candy packaging, marketing and the people behind it all

Offline Monsterettes

« Reply #37 on: April 02, 2016, 06:50:17 PM »
When they were introduced they really played upon their "Danish" heritage as you can see on the left, here:

Danish Go-Rounds
by Dan Goodsell, on Flickr
I love it Jason, thanks for the blast to the past!

Offline DrDeal

« Reply #38 on: April 21, 2016, 03:26:47 AM »
Still hoping we get a set this year.  Any input from the artists?  The crickets have returned to this site.

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #39 on: April 21, 2016, 03:43:52 AM »
I hate crickets....

I miss Old School and postcards.  Hopefully we will at least get a 2016 "ANS" series.

Offline chickenfat2010

« Reply #40 on: April 21, 2016, 06:06:30 AM »
I hate crickets....

I miss Old School and postcards.  Hopefully we will at least get a 2016 "ANS" series.
My speculation, and this is just speculation as an avid fan who analyzes the industry, is that Topps has been dissapointed in Wacky sales (as compared to both GPK and the not too far off wacky past) for awhile now. When they put out the last regular set - the 2015 "series 1" (yeah right) set with 110 base stickers, they decided to put out a sticker for almost their entire inventory of gags/paintings. They were unloading the rest of their traditional wackies as it were in one last (at least for now) very large ANS series. Dumping the product as it were. After that Topps tried the wacky hybrid concept with MLB to muster up sales, and from what I can tell based on Ebay and here, this series is NOT selling well in Topps view based on their estimations.

Alas, I think there will be no ANS series this year or in the forseebale future at all. I think the next Wacky release we will see from Topps will be OLD SCHOOL 6 thru KICKSTARTER, run much like the MARS ATTACKS Kickstarter series we've been witnessing, and this Wacky Kickstarter series may be released in 2016 or else in 2017. Just my wacky guess

Offline sco(o)t

• Looking:Postcard Ser4 BUGWEISER Smokin' Joe sketch
« Reply #41 on: April 21, 2016, 07:13:00 AM »
My speculation, and this is just speculation as an avid fan who analyzes the industry, is that Topps has been dissapointed in Wacky sales (as compared to both GPK and the not too far off wacky past) for awhile now. When they put out the last regular set - the 2015 "series 1" (yeah right) set with 110 base stickers, they decided to put out a sticker for almost their entire inventory of gags/paintings. They were unloading the rest of their traditional wackies as it were in one last (at least for now) very large ANS series. Dumping the product as it were. After that Topps tried the wacky hybrid concept with MLB to muster up sales, and from what I can tell based on Ebay and here, this series is NOT selling well in Topps view based on their estimations.

Alas, I think there will be no ANS series this year or in the forseebale future at all. I think the next Wacky release we will see from Topps will be OLD SCHOOL 6 thru KICKSTARTER, run much like the MARS ATTACKS Kickstarter series we've been witnessing, and this Wacky Kickstarter series may be released in 2016 or else in 2017. Just my wacky guess

I fear you are correct regarding Wackys in general and Topp's recent activity and attitude associated with them. I hope you are correct about an Old School 6 release but if they go the Kickstarter route, there seems like little chance for a 2016 release. One down side of Kickstarter projects  I have contributed to is that they have had long runways.
aka Scot Leibacher (no trademark)

Offline chickenfat2010

« Reply #42 on: April 21, 2016, 07:27:30 AM »
I fear you are correct regarding Wackys in general and Topp's recent activity and attitude associated with them. I hope you are correct about an Old School 6 release but if they go the Kickstarter route, there seems like little chance for a 2016 release. One down side of Kickstarter projects  I have contributed to is that they have had long runways.
I agree re collectors not having in their hands any WACKY KICKSTARTER product until 2017 (or 2018).....I am hoping that the Topps Kickstarter SALE (where we purchase the product in advance of production) could happen in late 2016 though
« Last Edit: April 21, 2016, 07:29:11 AM by chickenfat2010 »

Offline mikecho

« Reply #43 on: April 21, 2016, 03:41:47 PM »
If I may put my two cents worth in,I think the Wacky situation here is a classic example of peaks and valleys. When Topps started Wackys again with ANS1, it was a smashing success. Then,by about ANS6, they started experimenting by making a Jumbo Series out of that one and brought out with it the first named subsets(What's in the Box?!! and Make Your Own Wacky Packs). After taking a break with Flashback 1 and 2 and the 2010 calendar(a 2011 calendar was announced but never released),they started upping the ante a little bit with more subsets,variations,sketch cards,etc.By that time, I think it just might have become too difficult for the average buyer to keep up with it all,and if it's not nearing the end of the road now,I think it soon will be. All good things must come to an end eventually,and I really hate to say it,but for Wackys it just may be that time.Of course,I could be wrong,you know(and I hope that I am).

Offline sco(o)t

« Reply #44 on: April 21, 2016, 04:02:53 PM »
I agree re collectors not having in their hands any WACKY KICKSTARTER product until 2017 (or 2018).....I am hoping that the Topps Kickstarter SALE (where we purchase the product in advance of production) could happen in late 2016 though

My question is why, in this case, go through the gyrations of a Kickstarter project. Topps has a sales avenue in their on-line store. Why not announce a proposed WP release with a target goal in sales then take pre-orders on the web site for 2 months. If the sales goal is not met, there will be no release.

Offline DrDeal

« Reply #45 on: April 22, 2016, 03:35:34 AM »
If I may put my two cents worth in,I think the Wacky situation here is a classic example of peaks and valleys. When Topps started Wackys again with ANS1, it was a smashing success. Then,by about ANS6, they started experimenting by making a Jumbo Series out of that one and brought out with it the first named subsets(What's in the Box?!! and Make Your Own Wacky Packs). After taking a break with Flashback 1 and 2 and the 2010 calendar(a 2011 calendar was announced but never released),they started upping the ante a little bit with more subsets,variations,sketch cards,etc.By that time, I think it just might have become too difficult for the average buyer to keep up with it all,and if it's not nearing the end of the road now,I think it soon will be. All good things must come to an end eventually,and I really hate to say it,but for Wackys it just may be that time.Of course,I could be wrong,you know(and I hope that I am).

I doubt Wacky's are "Coming to an end" but agree they have had their recent heyday. Remember how much fun we had with postcard releases? I would not count out the ability of the Artists to find new ways to "Bring the Wacky". Neil's "Attacky Packages" in the current Mars Attacks Kickstarter are a good example of that.

Expect the unexpected.

Offline Swiski

« Reply #46 on: April 22, 2016, 04:50:35 AM »
Why are Garbage Pail Kids still selling so strong?

Offline koduck

• Administrator
  • Make it snappy!
« Reply #47 on: April 22, 2016, 07:28:03 AM »
I think it's because collecting tends to be cyclical: GPK's are now enjoying the same resurgence that Wackys had 10-12 years ago. And while we may be in a lull lately, the 50th anniversary is just around the corner. I wouldn't be surprised to see another Wacky hay day soon...
« Last Edit: April 22, 2016, 08:57:54 AM by koduck »

Offline Joe G.

« Reply #48 on: April 22, 2016, 09:58:31 AM »
GPK came out about 12 years after Wackys so the original generation of GPK fans are now in their 40's and that's when the nostalgia craze kicks in.  Also I suspect it tends to diminish in your 50's and I think that's a factor as to why Wackys are seeing some fall off.

Offline sco(o)t

« Reply #49 on: April 22, 2016, 01:04:19 PM »
GPK came out about 12 years after Wackys so the original generation of GPK fans are now in their 40's and that's when the nostalgia craze kicks in.  Also I suspect it tends to diminish in your 50's and I think that's a factor as to why Wackys are seeing some fall off.

I certainly agree that nostalgia kicks in at about 35 to 40 plus for things from our youth. And, generally speaking, people are starting to have a little more excess income to spend at that age, the kid are generally older or nearly out of the house, so there is more time to devote to collecting, etc.

Offline DrDeal

« Reply #50 on: April 22, 2016, 01:17:34 PM »

Interesting points made here. It's funny to think there may be an algorithm out there to determine how much the average collector will spend on his or her hobby
based on his or her age. We are all so predictable!

Offline crackedjerk

« Reply #51 on: April 22, 2016, 07:25:11 PM »
I think it's because collecting tends to be cyclical: GPK's are now enjoying the same resurgence that Wackys had 10-12 years ago. And while we may be in a lull lately, the 50th anniversary is just around the corner. I wouldn't be surprised to see another Wacky hay day soon...

I'm glad to read your last sentence.  Companies certainly love to promote things based on "multiple of 5" anniversaries.  Maybe 2016 will be a lull, but 2017 should have something in store for us.  If not, Wackys may be in for a death, if not a really long lull.

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #52 on: April 22, 2016, 08:26:52 PM »
I certainly agree that nostalgia kicks in at about 35 to 40 plus for things from our youth. And, generally speaking, people are starting to have a little more excess income to spend at that age, the kid are generally older or nearly out of the house, so there is more time to devote to collecting, etc.

I don't think the kids are nearly out of the house at 35 to 40 anymore. My first child was born when I was 40, I think things are skewing in that direction nowadays.

Offline Fanatical_and_Sickly

• Administrator
« Reply #53 on: May 06, 2016, 01:34:07 PM »
we may not get our own set this year, but wackys are making a second crossover - this time as a GPK Subset

October release:
2016 Topps Garbage Pail Kids Prime Slime Trashy TV

Offline DrDeal

« Reply #54 on: May 06, 2016, 04:07:48 PM »
Very cool!  I don't think i will buy packs; but I will pick up the subset.

Offline Choke_Wagon

• Yeeeeeeeee-ha!
« Reply #55 on: May 07, 2016, 09:15:57 AM »
In my opinion the MLB Direction was an EPIC FAILURE. If you gear a set that is that specific, you are not going to get broad base support. Topps really has to get back to basics and stick to a manageable ANS set with quality gags and execution. What I saw in the MLB set had for the most part, none of that charm. A 2016 set now going into summer does not seem likely but a 50th Anniversary set should be plenty of time to do something awesome.

Offline vahsurfer

« Reply #56 on: May 22, 2016, 04:06:15 AM »
K.I.S.S.

Just a sayin'

Offline Joe G.

« Reply #57 on: May 22, 2016, 08:13:39 AM »
Well, I'm just happy and amazed we've had 12 years of Wackys in any form!  I got to collect Wackys with both my 18 year old daughter and 12 year old son.  In fact, both collected when they were 6 -10 which seems the perfect age.  No company gets it right 100% of the time and for my money Topps got it right more than most.

Offline DrDeal

« Reply #58 on: May 22, 2016, 03:42:53 PM »
Well, I'm just happy and amazed we've had 12 years of Wackys in any form!  I got to collect Wackys with both my 18 year old daughter and 12 year old son.  In fact, both collected when they were 6 -10 which seems the perfect age.  No company gets it right 100% of the time and for my money Topps got it right more than most.

I guess Wacky MLB was no "Home Run" right?  You can't expect a Home Run every time at bat right?  I sense a few more "Home Runs" in our future.

Offline DrDeal

« Reply #59 on: June 03, 2016, 08:07:44 AM »
Spoke with Topps Cust Srvc this morning. No WP Retail or Online releases planned for this year. No word yet on  a 50th Anniversary release.

I guess its up to the artists on here to come up with limited release options to keep things alive this year.  I am up for whatever options arise on this site.

Andrew

Offline Swiski

« Reply #60 on: June 03, 2016, 11:25:05 AM »
Ya! Hopefully the "crickets" here mean they are busy at work for something special to celebrate the 50th Anniversary next year!

Offline dth1971

« Reply #61 on: June 03, 2016, 02:43:18 PM »
I hope in 2 months Topps plugs Wacky Packages 2016-2017 for December release in time for Christmas 2016!

Offline bigtomi

« Reply #62 on: June 03, 2016, 02:58:43 PM »
I hope in 2 months Topps plugs Wacky Packages 2016-2017 for December release in time for Christmas 2016!

Quote from: DrDeal
No WP Retail or Online releases planned for this year.
Is there something in DrDeal's sentence which confuses you, Darryl?   :-\

Offline dth1971

« Reply #63 on: June 03, 2016, 08:51:23 PM »
Is there something in DrDeal's sentence which confuses you, Darryl?   :-\

But we did get a WP MLB series this 2016 year, didn't DrDeal misunderstood??

Offline MoldRush

« Reply #64 on: June 04, 2016, 08:19:20 AM »
Spoke with Topps Cust Srvc this morning. No WP Retail or Online releases planned for this year. No word yet on  a 50th Anniversary release.

I guess its up to the artists on here to come up with limited release options to keep things alive this year.  I am up for whatever options arise on this site.

Andrew
If we consider the relatively bustling world of the various GPK releases of recent years, maybe it's as simple as us Wacky folk no longer representing the cash cow to Topps that we once were.  You wouldn't think so when looking at things from our side - we're still clamoring for new releases as much as ever.  But maybe our population overall has shrunk compared to where we were in the 90's and 00's, whereas the GPK crowd may be peaking this decade.

Offline MoldRush

« Reply #65 on: June 04, 2016, 08:31:27 AM »
Take Old School as a good example of the state of the Wacky Union in 2016.  A great concept, the ultimate wet dream for those of us who would love to recapture the glory of OS Wackys, three or four series with strong sales, and the moment that sales take a dip, the whole series is crushed, left for dead.  If Topps feels burned by having excess unsold product, why not try a series where production volume is limited to a prepurchase commitment, like a Kickstarter type of thing?  Maybe Topps would just see something like that as too "small potatoes".

Offline DrDeal

« Reply #66 on: June 04, 2016, 08:56:39 AM »
Take Old School as a good example of the state of the Wacky Union in 2016.  A great concept, the ultimate wet dream for those of us who would love to recapture the glory of OS Wackys, three or four series with strong sales, and the moment that sales take a dip, the whole series is crushed, left for dead.  If Topps feels burned by having excess unsold product, why not try a series where production volume is limited to a prepurchase commitment, like a Kickstarter type of thing?  Maybe Topps would just see something like that as too "small potatoes".

I am starting to think Wacky Packages 50th Anniversary Release might make more sense as a Kickstarter.  Topps did well with Mars Attacks last month.
They could do all sorts of bundles for different amounts that would increase funds raised for the project.

Offline MoldRush

« Reply #67 on: June 04, 2016, 09:39:59 AM »
So they've done something like that already?  I stand corrected.  Maybe there is hope after all.

Offline drono

« Reply #68 on: June 05, 2016, 04:44:17 AM »
I am starting to think Wacky Packages 50th Anniversary Release might make more sense as a Kickstarter.  Topps did well with Mars Attacks last month.
They could do all sorts of bundles for different amounts that would increase funds raised for the project.

I don't think my bank account could survive it.  It's still hurting from the $1K+ binder purchase.

Offline slamjim

• OLDS11 in late 2023!
« Reply #69 on: June 10, 2016, 08:53:16 PM »
 ;)

anything