Author Topic: Any word on Wacky Packages 2016?  (Read 33715 times)

Offline DrDeal

Any word on Wacky Packages 2016?
« on: March 16, 2016, 03:57:49 AM »
Now that Wacky MLB is out can some of the artists comment on if they have started to do sketches or art for the Regular 2016 WP release?

I figure Sept/ Oct for release.  Any info out there?  I hope the tepid response to Wacky MLB does not negatively affect the next WP release.

Regards,  Andrew

Offline Zenergizer

Re: Any word on Wacky Packages 2016?
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2016, 11:18:20 AM »
Is the response to the MLB set "tepid?"  Those special
bonus boxes sold out very quickly on the Topps site, and I was
trying to get another case of the Collectors boxes, and can't
find them anywhere.

I'm not agreeing or disagreeing, but I don't think any of us can get an idea
on the sales of it just yet?  You can't judge from us on the forum, as it still may
be too early to get people's opinions on favorite titles and such, but I still haven't
seen any product live in the stores in my area (Boston and New England).

Offline jleonard1967

« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2016, 08:46:00 PM »
I know blowout has a case of collector cards for over 500.00

Offline dth1971

« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2016, 06:18:40 AM »
Topps hasn't even ruled out a Wacky Packages NFL series to follow up the Wacky Packages MLB series.

Offline MoldRush

« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2016, 05:46:57 PM »
Meaning?  There's been discussions about an NFL set?  Otherwise just saying Topps hasn't ruled it out is comparable to my saying I haven't ruled out dyeing my hair pink.  Doesn't mean I've thought about actually doing it.

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2016, 07:32:15 PM »
Panini has exclusive rights to NFL trading cards, as someone already pointed out.

Offline DrDeal

« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2016, 06:50:03 AM »
My money is on Wacky Packages 2016 happening in the fourth qtr of this year. Nothing to back that up; but once they renamed the ANS WP 2015 last year I think the intent was to have an annual retail release.  WP MLB just pushed that set back by a few months.  I highly doubt we will see another WP Offshoot retail release this year.

Maybe Wacky Garbage next year?

Offline bandaches

• http://www.wackypackage.com/
    • Visit my Wacky Pack Website
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2016, 07:36:23 AM »
Topps hasn't even ruled out a Wacky Packages NFL series to follow up the Wacky Packages MLB series.
Do you work for Topps or is this specific dialogue you have had with Topps?
Contact me at bandaches@yahoo.com as I have tons of wackys for sale!  Visit my website http://www.wackypackage.com/

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2016, 08:38:01 AM »
Do you work for Topps or is this specific dialogue you have had with Topps?

Consider the source.

Offline DrDeal

« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2016, 03:34:57 AM »
When/If WP 2016 is released; I look forward to Topps continuing the trend of offering 5' x 7' versions of the cards with puzzles on the back. Posters of each card do not do much for me as I don't have room to display many more posters.  I think the grass and leather variations will be specific to MLB so we won't see them again. Sepia cards may show up again.   It seems like Topps is looking for new options for parallel sets. I hope they go back to what they did with the Embroidered Logo cards with actual different art on the rarer variation cards. New art is what makes a variation card special, not backgrounds or border colors.

Offline bigtomi

« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2016, 12:32:27 PM »
New art is what makes a variation card special, not backgrounds or border colors.
says Superfractor man.   :P

Offline DrDeal

« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2016, 06:05:12 PM »
says Superfractor man.   :P

Superfractors are a completely different story than different colored borders or backgrounds. SF's have special powers that enhance your life in ways they are hard to describe. Daily exposure to SF cards promotes health and mental clarity.    :]

Offline sco(o)t

• Looking:Postcard Ser4 BUGWEISER Smokin' Joe sketch
« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2016, 07:11:31 PM »
Superfractors are a completely different story than different colored borders or backgrounds. SF's have special powers that enhance your life in ways they are hard to describe. Daily exposure to SF cards promotes health and mental clarity.    :]

Sounds like superfractor power has replaced pyramid power. Can it also sharpen razor blades?   ;)
aka Scot Leibacher (no trademark)

Offline Swiski

« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2016, 05:00:42 AM »
Consider the source.

I wouldn't mind seeing an NFL set. The baseball set is growing on me. I think the artwork on these is top notch with nuances of the vintage Wacky Packages. I like how the Braves parody is inspired by Gadzooka gum.

Offline crackedjerk

« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2016, 07:25:49 PM »
Panini has exclusive rights to NFL trading cards, as someone already pointed out.

I don't think that's correct.  I've purchased Topps 2015 football cards.  I just typed "Topps 2015 football" into ebay and nearly 90,000 entries came up.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2060353.m570.l1313.TR5.TRC0.A0.H0.Xtopps+2015+football.TRS0&_nkw=topps+2015+football&_sacat=0

Not that any of this means there would be a Wacky NFL set, but I'd be in favor of it (even though I'm fairly lukewarm on the MLB Wackys).

Offline crackedjerk

« Reply #16 on: March 27, 2016, 07:41:19 PM »
http://www.cardboardconnection.com/news/panini-nflpa-exclusive-2016

Thanks.  I hadn't heard the news.  Kinda bums me out as someone who collected Topps football starting back in the 70's.  Alas.  Everything changes.  Can't say I've bought many football cards in recent years.  I think Topps got away from the basics with too many bells and whistles.  I hope Panini will keep things simple (at least on the base set and keep the maze of inserts to the "fancy" sets).

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #17 on: March 28, 2016, 03:02:58 AM »
I liked it when Topps was the only game in town. For baseball that was 1956-1980, but Philadelphia Gum also produced football cards in the '60s. I think they had the NFL and Topps only had the AFL for several years.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2016, 03:05:03 AM by Paul_Maul »

Offline JasonLiebig

• CollectingCandy.com
« Reply #18 on: March 28, 2016, 09:53:08 AM »
I liked it when Topps was the only game in town. For baseball that was 1956-1980, but Philadelphia Gum also produced football cards in the '60s. I think they had the NFL and Topps only had the AFL for several years.

I can relate to this, though searching back through memories I do recall an excitement when Fleer and Donruss broke though with their own sets in 1981.  As a collector (I was 12 at the time), it was weird and unexpected but cool to see some of the different things they were trying at the time. 

There is a kind of purity and magic about the Topps-only years though, for sure.  How each card design/wrapper defined those years in a specific way - it was singular, and everybody identified with the same material.   Shared experiences are awfully powerful. 
Jason Liebig - A swell TV host (currently on History Channel) who used to oversee Marvel Comics' X-Men - now creator and curator of WishbookWeb.com and CollectingCandy.com, a celebration of candy packaging, marketing and the people behind it all

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #19 on: March 28, 2016, 10:10:59 AM »
Very well said Jason.  I was 14 in 1981, and the Fleer and Donruss stuff kind of pushed me over the edge to abandon baseball cards. That's when I moved full steam into comics :)

Offline bandaches

• http://www.wackypackage.com/
    • Visit my Wacky Pack Website
« Reply #20 on: March 28, 2016, 07:38:13 PM »
Very well said Jason.  I was 14 in 1981, and the Fleer and Donruss stuff kind of pushed me over the edge to abandon baseball cards. That's when I moved full steam into comics :)
All of the "errors" and "variations" of Fleer and Donruss sets made a mockery of the whole concept of errors and variations.  Anyone collect the "imprinted hand" variations on Fleer?
Contact me at bandaches@yahoo.com as I have tons of wackys for sale!  Visit my website http://www.wackypackage.com/

Offline JasonLiebig

• CollectingCandy.com
« Reply #21 on: March 28, 2016, 08:49:26 PM »
All of the "errors" and "variations" of Fleer and Donruss sets made a mockery of the whole concept of errors and variations.  Anyone collect the "imprinted hand" variations on Fleer?

I remember when those became a thing.  I don't know how much I cared about them or chased them, if at all.  For me, my prime years of saving cards were the mid-1970's up until 1982 or 1983, at which point I would still pick up some sets here and there, but largely moved away from spending my money on them.   This coincided with my embracing comic books more fully as a past time along with the hobby of Dungeons and Dragons, which I would play almost daily with my older brother and a group of close friends in the ensuing years.  I would come back to trading cards (sport and non-sport) along with so many other folks, around 1990 when the craze hit. 

I don't think I was entirely motivated by "values" when I got back into it in 1990 but I do recall frantically digging through my boxes of unsorted football and basketball cards from the 70's and early 80's, and trying to find the then-valuable ones, as they had been so value-less when I was initially collecting them in the 70's (and early 80's).  The only cards that got any real respect when I was a kid were baseball cards.  Everything else was seen as sort of secondary.  Obviously that changed quite a bit. 

Fun to think back on all that.   
Jason Liebig - A swell TV host (currently on History Channel) who used to oversee Marvel Comics' X-Men - now creator and curator of WishbookWeb.com and CollectingCandy.com, a celebration of candy packaging, marketing and the people behind it all

Offline MoldRush

« Reply #22 on: March 29, 2016, 07:48:07 AM »
I can relate to this, though searching back through memories I do recall an excitement when Fleer and Donruss broke though with their own sets in 1981.  As a collector (I was 12 at the time), it was weird and unexpected but cool to see some of the different things they were trying at the time. 

There is a kind of purity and magic about the Topps-only years though, for sure.  How each card design/wrapper defined those years in a specific way - it was singular, and everybody identified with the same material.   Shared experiences are awfully powerful.
Well said Jason.  While I agree with what you're saying, I also have a fondness for those rare occasions when other companies made cards during those years, specifically Hostess baseball cards that had to be cut out of the boxes, Kellogg's 3D baseball and 1976-88 Fleer Team Action / Teams in Action.  Topps probably sold much better than the Fleer cards in general, but up until the 1982 set they could not show any team logos or helmet designs so they had to airbrush them out which made those cards kind of drab.  The Fleer cards, which had game-action scenes, line formations etc., had far better eye appeal.

That being said, I still have completing some of the old Topps sets on my never-ending to-do list.  1978 Topps Baseball, possibly my favorite sport card set of all time, is the current project.

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #23 on: March 29, 2016, 09:15:38 AM »
Are you taking just about Football regarding the team logos? I'm pretty sure baseball team logos were always usable for Topps. The airbrushing was just so out of date photos could be used.

Offline JasonLiebig

• CollectingCandy.com
« Reply #24 on: March 29, 2016, 02:03:17 PM »
Well said Jason.  While I agree with what you're saying, I also have a fondness for those rare occasions when other companies made cards during those years, specifically Hostess baseball cards that had to be cut out of the boxes, Kellogg's 3D baseball and 1976-88 Fleer Team Action / Teams in Action.  Topps probably sold much better than the Fleer cards in general, but up until the 1982 set they could not show any team logos or helmet designs so they had to airbrush them out which made those cards kind of drab.  The Fleer cards, which had game-action scenes, line formations etc., had far better eye appeal.

That being said, I still have completing some of the old Topps sets on my never-ending to-do list.  1978 Topps Baseball, possibly my favorite sport card set of all time, is the current project.

Good points!  I have a great deal of fondness for the old Kellogg's and Hostess releases as well...

Here are a couple pieces from my collection...

Hostess Twinkies baseball card box - Mike Schmidt, Sparky Lyle, Willie Stargell - 1970's
by Jason, on Flickr

Hostess - Big Wheels  baseball card box flat - 1978
by Jason, on Flickr

Kellogg's Frosted Flakes cereal box - Free 3-D Baseball Card - 1977
by Jason, on Flickr

And I have a couple of the complete Kellogg's 3-d sets in my collection, as well as a complete run of the Pete Rose issues from them (I was a Pete Rose collector as a kid through to adulthood). 

Offline Alexeirex

« Reply #25 on: March 29, 2016, 04:49:03 PM »
I saw this on Ebay -

Never seen this product before - Alex

Offline MoldRush

« Reply #26 on: March 29, 2016, 06:23:55 PM »
Are you taking just about Football regarding the team logos? I'm pretty sure baseball team logos were always usable for Topps. The airbrushing was just so out of date photos could be used.
Yes, strictly football.  In the earliest sets I remember, 1972 and 1973, the photos would mostly just be helmet-less players, so it wasn't really noticeable, but later sets frequently showed players in helmets that had the logo airbrushed out.  Unlike other sports, in football for the most part there was no team name or logo crest on the jerseys, just large numbers, so the helmet airbrushing pretty much was the extent of what they needed to do.  Of course I had no idea why as a kid, it wasn't until recent years that I read about some licensing limitations between Topps and the teams players played for.  Showing logos was permissible provided no specific player was named, and that's how the Team Action sets came into being.  Interestingly, each pack would include 2 or 3 smaller stickers with team logos (either by themselves or on helmets), which was another way to honor the limitation in licensing - no reference to any specific player.

Offline MoldRush

« Reply #27 on: March 29, 2016, 07:04:03 PM »
Sweet pics of the Hostess boxes, Jason.  Amazing how many of these survived, as well as full panels cut outside the dotted lines.  The frustrating thing about the Hostess cards is that there were so many factors working against the preservation of high-grade cards - cutting inside the dotted lines, poor/sloppy cuts in general, grease stains, creasing and surface wear on the box exteriors, causing loss of gloss/color on the card front surface.  I don't aspire to ever try and complete these sets because these issues are so prevalent that the pursuit of condition upgrades would never end.

Offline MoldRush

« Reply #28 on: March 29, 2016, 07:11:22 PM »
About 10 to 15 years back I had an interest in pursuing the Kellogg's 3D cards, but learned that over time, the cards tended to curl, and the coating material on the front that creates the hologramic effect became brittle, becoming prone to cracking even on cards with little handling wear.  And yet there are still cards offered on eBay that are perfectly flat with no surface cracking.  I have no idea what these sellers did to keep the cards in this condition.

Offline crackedjerk

« Reply #29 on: March 29, 2016, 07:50:23 PM »

Funny you should mention that one.  It was the first baseball set I truly collected and probably bought more of that year than any other.  Sold my complete set in '88, but used my doubles to cobble together another full set.  I love it when Topps does retro sets with old designs as the '78 ones are always ones I want just for the design itself (even if that design is pretty ordinary, it is seared into my memory).

Offline JasonLiebig

• CollectingCandy.com
« Reply #30 on: March 29, 2016, 08:33:44 PM »
Sweet pics of the Hostess boxes, Jason.  Amazing how many of these survived, as well as full panels cut outside the dotted lines.  The frustrating thing about the Hostess cards is that there were so many factors working against the preservation of high-grade cards - cutting inside the dotted lines, poor/sloppy cuts in general, grease stains, creasing and surface wear on the box exteriors, causing loss of gloss/color on the card front surface.  I don't aspire to ever try and complete these sets because these issues are so prevalent that the pursuit of condition upgrades would never end.

As a vintage Hostess collector (not baseball mind you, card-less Hostess boxes) it's clear that the inclusion of the cards made these boxes far more saved than the others, in hyper-dramatic form.  Based on what I've seen in the last few years, it's clear that someone was walking out of the printer or the the Hostess factory with cases of flat, unused Hostess baseball card boxes.  I've benefited from picking up a few of them.  In the late 70's and early 80's when I was more of a baseball card collector, I don't recall encountering ANY fully intact boxes, so these must have been hoarded away as someone's investment nest egg... or some such.  It's great to have been able to get a few for my collection, as I can appreciate them now as both a lapsed baseball card collector AND a Hostess packaging collector. 

Offline JasonLiebig

• CollectingCandy.com
« Reply #31 on: March 29, 2016, 08:41:27 PM »
Funny you should mention that one.  It was the first baseball set I truly collected and probably bought more of that year than any other.  Sold my complete set in '88, but used my doubles to cobble together another full set.  I love it when Topps does retro sets with old designs as the '78 ones are always ones I want just for the design itself (even if that design is pretty ordinary, it is seared into my memory).

I think the use of classic Topps card designs in the Heritage sets speaks to the power that those designs had (which we were discussing earlier) which is partly due to them being the "only game in town" with regard to baseball cards, and the fact that there was only a single set and design used each year.  Beyond that, I've long felt that starting with the age of the first Upper Deck sets, when cards became full color back-and-front and had clean white border designs, so much of the fun was removed from the cards.  Part of the fun was the unique and creative border designs used each year.  The same cannot be said for card sets in the 1990's (though I'm sure there are exceptions - I can think of a few).   

I think, along with everything else (the move to chase cards and many "sets" each from each manufacturer ever year) this idea of well-defined and fun new unifying and unique designs for each set, each year was discarded.  And that changed how you look back on sets. 

There's a reason why Topps continues to get so much mileage out of those old border designs - because even when they weren't the coolest, they were strong designs.  I love me a good 1975 Topps border design, myself.  And I adore the 72 borders, although I don't know if my love for them is universal.  Is there anything in the post 1990's Topps card world to compare? 

Similarly, look at how they use that classic 1970's Topps Star Wars border design over and over.  It's nostalgia, sure, but it's also just so much more distinctive than anything they've done in the last 25 years.

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #32 on: March 30, 2016, 12:39:43 AM »

Similarly, look at how they use that classic 1970's Topps Star Wars border design over and over.  It's nostalgia, sure, but it's also just so much more distinctive than anything they've done in the last 25 years.

The old light blue Star Wars border design is fantastic!  I loved the Heritage set they did a few years ago.

The only recent new card set I can think of that has as distinctive a border is the Jimmy Neutron set Ore Ida produced as packaging inserts.

Offline MoldRush

« Reply #33 on: March 30, 2016, 08:40:49 AM »
As a vintage Hostess collector (not baseball mind you, card-less Hostess boxes) it's clear that the inclusion of the cards made these boxes far more saved than the others, in hyper-dramatic form.  Based on what I've seen in the last few years, it's clear that someone was walking out of the printer or the the Hostess factory with cases of flat, unused Hostess baseball card boxes.  I've benefited from picking up a few of them.  In the late 70's and early 80's when I was more of a baseball card collector, I don't recall encountering ANY fully intact boxes, so these must have been hoarded away as someone's investment nest egg... or some such.  It's great to have been able to get a few for my collection, as I can appreciate them now as both a lapsed baseball card collector AND a Hostess packaging collector.
Agreed.  I think there are a few boxes that were hoarded in quantity in their flat, unfolded state which eventually flooded the secondary market.  Back in the late 90's I attended a major sports card show at Nassau Coliseum and a guy there had flat unfolded boxes of King Dons with a panel from 1975 that included Steve Carlton, and he only wanted $5 each.  I remember thinking at the time that he undervalued them.  Now I realize it's the Hostess equivalent of 1979 Series 1 Wacky Reissue sheets.  Worth something, but by no means rare.  Anyhow, you got some variety there which is nice.  Not too long ago I picked up a couple Ho Ho's boxes which were not in that pre-consumer condition, but I got them for next to nothing so I was a happy camper.  Also doubles nicely as a "real product" sample for Old School "Hoo-hahs". 😃

Offline Monsterettes

« Reply #34 on: March 31, 2016, 05:25:16 PM »
I saw this on Ebay -

Never seen this product before - Alex
I remember Danish Go-Rounds! Sort of a second cousin twice removed from Pop-Tarts. Sorry I have no memories to share of sports cards...