Author Topic: Is a Wacky Garbage Set in the works?  (Read 7774 times)

Offline DrDeal

Is a Wacky Garbage Set in the works?
« on: January 24, 2016, 04:22:50 AM »
With the current plans to release a Wacky MLB set; my thoughts turn to possibility of combining Wacky Packages and Garbage Pail Kids for a Wacky Garbage release. We certainly have seen some crossover between the two brands over the years. Maybe some of the Artists can comment on if anything has been discussed at Topps recently. I can see this selling very well.

Offline koduck

• Administrator
  • Make it snappy!
Re: Is a Wacky Garbage Set in the works?
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2016, 08:22:30 AM »
It certainly makes sense

Offline vahsurfer

« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2016, 03:33:29 PM »
AND it would make sense to have Binders - I know - I cannot stop beating up Topps for the middle finger on:

Chrome, 2014 and 2015 S1 Notebotebooks...... NY Values?? HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Offline Joe G.

« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2016, 04:25:59 PM »
Speaking of Wacky Garbage there is an upcoming GPK Con that will feature a ton of Wacky artists. 
Check it out:

http://supertoycon.com/gpk/

Offline crackedjerk

« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2016, 07:03:05 PM »
AND it would make sense to have Binders - I know - I cannot stop beating up Topps for the middle finger on:

Chrome, 2014 and 2015 S1 Notebotebooks...... NY Values?? HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Wow, that's amazing!  Imagine a Wacky equivalent of that.  I'm not a GPK collector, but it would be cool to see the show just to see what all would be done to celebrate GPK.

Offline HENRY.R

« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2016, 03:50:58 PM »
Cool vegas,Im there.  :great: :great: :great:

Offline Scheres

• toyghoul.com
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2016, 01:14:39 PM »
I would love a Wacky GPK crossover set. Looking forward to Vegas!!!

Offline jaylynch

• World Record Sketch Artist
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2016, 08:29:57 AM »
Nice article in MENTAL FLOSS mag on GPK.  They mention Wackys.   http://mentalfloss.com/article/77142/trash-cash-oral-history-garbage-pail-kids

Offline Joe G.

« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2016, 08:39:17 AM »
Nice article in MENTAL FLOSS mag on GPK.  They mention Wackys.   http://mentalfloss.com/article/77142/trash-cash-oral-history-garbage-pail-kids

Jay thanks for posting.   Its a wonderful article and a fun read and I have Zero interest in GPK!

Offline Joe G.

« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2016, 10:07:56 AM »
Also how did I miss hearing about the famous Norm Saunders Bat Throne.  Was that in David Saunders book and I just missed it?

« Last Edit: March 17, 2016, 11:18:02 AM by Joe G. »

Offline slamjim

• OLDS11 in late 2023!
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2016, 01:07:04 PM »
Off topic a bit but has it ever been established exactly how many Wackys were painted by Norm Saunders? There are 516 OS Wackys I think.

Offline slamjim

• OLDS11 in late 2023!
« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2016, 02:12:48 PM »
With the current plans to release a Wacky MLB set; my thoughts turn to possibility of combining Wacky Packages and Garbage Pail Kids for a Wacky Garbage release. We certainly have seen some crossover between the two brands over the years. Maybe some of the Artists can comment on if anything has been discussed at Topps recently. I can see this selling very well.

I suggested this to them many years ago and they were lukewarm to it. However, with all the themed sets it might be a good time to revisit the idea.

Offline crackedjerk

« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2016, 06:22:57 PM »
I suggested this to them many years ago and they were lukewarm to it. However, with all the themed sets it might be a good time to revisit the idea.

Again, perhaps a bit off topic, but what about a Wacky-NFL set (assuming the Wacky-MLB set is a success)?  In fact, I wonder if Topps might resurrect the idea of a Wacky-Star Wars set.

Offline sco(o)t

• Looking:Postcard Ser4 BUGWEISER Smokin' Joe sketch
« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2016, 09:04:18 PM »
Again, perhaps a bit off topic, but what about a Wacky-NFL set (assuming the Wacky-MLB set is a success)?  In fact, I wonder if Topps might resurrect the idea of a Wacky-Star Wars set.

Here on the forum, there seems to be more NFL fans than MLB. At least based on the number past NFL discussions and pools, etc. compared to the lack of almost any MLB chat.  I am enjoying the MLB set more than I expected and think an NFL set would be a good followup down the road.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2016, 03:20:37 AM by sco(o)t »
aka Scot Leibacher (no trademark)

Offline jleonard1967

« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2016, 05:54:41 AM »
It would be, however I think that topps doesn't have the NFL anymore.

Offline Alexeirex

« Reply #15 on: March 18, 2016, 09:28:14 AM »

I would vote for the Star Wars Wacky set - should we start an email campaign? Topps may already have the product! A

Offline Fanatical_and_Sickly

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: March 18, 2016, 01:42:16 PM »
I would vote for the Star Wars Wacky set - should we start an email campaign? Topps may already have the product! A
while I do think the SW/WP could be entertaining, I really don't want a release of the previously advertised product.
if they got the Wacky artists on board and made something new, that would be fun.

Offline crackedjerk

« Reply #17 on: March 18, 2016, 08:14:26 PM »
It would be, however I think that topps doesn't have the NFL anymore.

I believe Topps still has the NFL license and it's something like the 60th or 65th anniversary of having that license that year.  Given the popularity of the NFL compared to MLB, especially among younger people, I would think an NFL set would be a no-brainer (if the MLB set did reasonably well).

anything