Author Topic: MLB Wacky Packages promos to be found in Topps 2016 Baseball Card Packs  (Read 4028 times)

Offline Joe G.

In what seems to me as a really cool cross promotion, 6 MLB Wacky Packages promos will be found in 2016 Topps Baseball cards.  The cards come out on Feb 3 and you can read about it here:

https://blowoutbuzz.wordpress.com/2016/01/12/what-surprises-may-be-found-in-2016-topps-baseball-card-packs/

Offline Zenergizer

Re: MLB Wacky Packages promos to be found in Topps 2016 Baseball Card Packs
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2016, 06:44:04 PM »
cool find, Joe!

and wow, what a big set that is!  Now if only the Wackies had a checklist like that...hmmm.....

Offline DrDeal

« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2016, 04:18:00 AM »
In what seems to me as a really cool cross promotion, 6 MLB Wacky Packages promos will be found in 2016 Topps Baseball cards.  The cards come out on Feb 3 and you can read about it here:

https://blowoutbuzz.wordpress.com/2016/01/12/what-surprises-may-be-found-in-2016-topps-baseball-card-packs/

These promo cards will be interesting to watch as far as how the Baseball Card collectors treat them.Are they worth keeping or should  they  sell them? My sense is that the promo cards , since they came out of retail packs; will be sought after as they are a contained within a MLB release. The actual MLB wacky release may not be thought of the same way.  I have two collector boxes coming. This experiment will be fun to watch.

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2016, 05:00:22 AM »
These promo cards will be interesting to watch as far as how the Baseball Card collectors treat them.Are they worth keeping or should  they  sell them? My sense is that the promo cards , since they came out of retail packs; will be sought after as they are a contained within a MLB release. The actual MLB wacky release may not be thought of the same way.  I have two collector boxes coming. This experiment will be fun to watch.

I think what will be important is whether these 6 "promos" will be distinguishable as having been pulled from MLB packs. 

Offline jleonard1967

« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2016, 07:09:37 AM »
I concur with Pat.  If they are exclusive to the mlb run, and they are not to be found elsewhere. Then yes they will be sought after. 

Offline vahsurfer

« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2016, 08:06:58 AM »
Here is what to look for form the article:

"Six Wacky Packages promo cards also will be found in some types of 2016 Topps Series 1 retail packs — cards for Giants Magic Beans, Mets Deli Meat, Royals Blue Cheese, Dodgers Sushi, Red Sox Tea Bags and Cardinals Eggs. With the MLB-themed Wacky Packages release coming, these may be popular with the non-sports crowd."

Offline drono

« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2016, 08:43:07 AM »
The checklist gives them numbers, so they may be numbered where the Wacky release may not have the same number.

I wonder how many could you expect to get from buying a box of the Baseball cards?  That will determine their real value.

MLB WACKY PROMO CARD
MLBW-1 Giants Magic Beans
MLBW-2 Mets Deli Meat
MLBW-3 Royals Blue Cheese
MLBW-4 Dodgers Sushi
MLBW-5 Red Sox Tea Bags
MLBW-6 Cardinals Eggs

Offline Joe G.

« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2016, 10:40:09 AM »
Well in any case we'll have a cool sneak peak at MLB Wackys in just a week and a half!  I can't wait.

Here's another little bit I found while searching MLB Wackys.  It doesn't say much just that a new artist for Wackys, Robert Jimenez, will be contributing sketches this time around.  Oh and it also shows the back of a MLB Wacky Packages sketch card.

http://zerostreet.com/2016-topps-mlb-wacky-packages/

Offline Fanatical_and_Sickly

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2016, 04:01:11 PM »
and here they are.
spotted on eBay, of course

no pic of the reverse.
one difference for sure compared to the MLB Wackys will be with the promo card numbering on the front.

Offline Joe G.

« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2016, 05:32:38 PM »
Patrick, too cool!  The cards look great and do have a Wacky feel.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2016, 07:25:55 PM by Joe G. »

Offline drono

« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2016, 08:28:48 PM »
Very interesting.  It looks like the same seller has all the complete set listings and states they are not yet available.  They're going to break 80 cases of series one baseball cards.  Now that sounds like a time-consuming endeavor.  Maybe there's not much to do in Rogers, Arkansas.