Author Topic: How to store vintage cloth stickers  (Read 10493 times)

Offline drstu

How to store vintage cloth stickers
« on: December 28, 2015, 09:39:53 AM »
Hi all,

Can anyone tell me a good way to store vintage cloth stickers?

Thanks,

Dr. Stu

Offline Paul_Maul

Re: How to store vintage cloth stickers
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2015, 09:50:50 AM »
It's really difficult. I tried putting my set in snap-tight holders because I thought it would put less pressure on the stickers, but they are all completely ruined. When I try to remove the sticker from the snap-tight, the sticker sticks to the plastic lid and separates from the card. I've given up on cloths for this reason, just too high maintenance.

And I fully believe any PSA graded cloth is ruined for the same reason if you tried to crack it out.

Offline rdsjnk

« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2015, 10:16:25 AM »
I just keep mine in a plastic card box with no sleeves and in a cool area. you could put a piece of wax paper between each card.

Offline drstu

« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2015, 02:12:07 PM »
thanks.  I will try that...

Offline bigtomi

« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2015, 03:37:55 PM »
I just keep mine in a plastic card box with no sleeves and in a cool area. you could put a piece of wax paper between each card.
I don't own any, partly for the reasons Paul Maul states. I've heard that keeping them in the refrig/freezer works.

Offline quas

« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2015, 03:45:45 PM »
I don't own any, partly for the reasons Paul Maul states. I've heard that keeping them in the refrig/freezer works.

I tried collecting them once then gave up.  They just don't age well.......
Marc

Offline sco(o)t

• Looking:Postcard Ser4 BUGWEISER Smokin' Joe sketch
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2015, 12:32:26 AM »

Hmmm, frozen assets. eh?
aka Scot Leibacher (no trademark)

Offline vahsurfer

« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2015, 04:25:28 PM »
I placed mine in the 3 x 3 screw down holders.

They are soooo fragile, these are never meant to be opened again, lest they get damaged......

I keep them on a book case and NOT exposed to any sunlight (turned like a book end spine)

Hope this helps,

Richard

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2015, 04:35:35 PM »
I think there's a good chance if you took them out, they would separate as mine did...so don't ever take them out!

Offline drono

« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2015, 11:34:06 AM »
I have mine in 9 pocket sheets, but each sticker is individually wrapped in wax paper.  That's essentially the way they were packed in wax wrappers.  That seems to have worked, but they don't display well due to the translucence of the wax paper.

Offline koduck

• Administrator
  • Make it snappy!
« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2016, 05:23:56 PM »
Hi all,

Can anyone tell me a good way to store vintage cloth stickers?

Thanks,

Dr. Stu

I've mentioned this before, but I'll say it again, the cloth set is my absolute favorite wacky set of all time! However, when it comes to storing them, they're probably my least favorite! I currently have a bunch of low grade stickers that I keep stacked with a piece of wax paper between each card. It seems to work ok, but if they were in nicer condition, I'd probably look for a different method, although I haven't found one that works great. Top loaders might work ok, if they don't come in contact with the sticker, but that's iffy.
Good Luck! If you find something that works good, let us know!

Offline Joe G.

« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2016, 10:36:25 AM »
Neil, when Topps did cloth stickers for ANS 10 and 11 did you examine the original approach and improve on it?  Is it possible the new cloth stickers might have similar issues to the old ones?

Offline koduck

• Administrator
  • Make it snappy!
« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2016, 07:04:23 AM »
Neil, when Topps did cloth stickers for ANS 10 and 11 did you examine the original approach and improve on it?  Is it possible the new cloth stickers might have similar issues to the old ones?

Since we don't know the production process on the original stickers, it's hard to say whether the new stickers would hold up any better. But my guess is that they probably would have the same issues: Adhesives that don't cure (like those used on the stickers) are dust magnets and get "gunkier" over time. Maybe it's time someone invented an air-tight, climate-controlled anti-gravity top loader!

Offline quas

« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2016, 09:24:23 AM »
Since we don't know the production process on the original stickers, it's hard to say whether the new stickers would hold up any better. But my guess is that they probably would have the same issues: Adhesives that don't cure (like those used on the stickers) are dust magnets and get "gunkier" over time. Maybe it's time someone invented an air-tight, climate-controlled anti-gravity top loader!

Maybe Topps should sell sets of hermetically sealed cloth stickers, never intended to actually be stuck to anything!
Marc

Offline koduck

• Administrator
  • Make it snappy!
« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2016, 08:31:06 AM »
Maybe Topps should sell sets of hermetically sealed cloth stickers, never intended to actually be stuck to anything!

I actually have quite a few peeled cloth stickers that I plan to iron on a pair of jeans someday. I think I have enough to do one pant leg, so if anyone has crappy cloth stickers they don't need, feel free to send them my way so I can do both pant legs ;) !

Offline vahsurfer

« Reply #15 on: January 09, 2016, 09:03:24 AM »
That sounds JUST DUCKY!!!!  :]

anything