Author Topic: A 50-Year History of Wacky Packages from Centipede Press?!!  (Read 9556 times)

Offline Hungry Jerk Kid

A 50-Year History of Wacky Packages from Centipede Press?!!
« on: December 14, 2015, 10:52:05 AM »
I received a newsletter from Centipede Press yesterday which included the following:

"Do you have the two Wacky Packages volumes published by Abrams some years back? Wacky Packages published 16 different series of cards from 1967 to 1976. While looking through the two volume set from Abrams, I noticed that they covered series 1-7 in volume 1 and series 8-14 in volume 2, leaving out the two final series, 15 and 16. Anyway, I saw a discussion group about Wacky Packs and wanted to know if any of you would be interested in Centipede Press publishing a book about the 50-year history of Wacky Packs. I don't know what the licensing requirements would be, or if Abrams or someone else already has plans, or what, but it might be fun. I know that there are a lot of Wacky Pack fans out there. Let me know your thoughts. Or if you know that someone is already tackling such a project, let me know that too! Thanks!"

This seems to me like it would be a great idea! I bought a book from Centipede Press (The Shining: Studies in the Horror Film) and found it to be well-researched (it includes never-before-seen photos and interviews with top participants in the film as well as some pretty obscure recollections from actors who had one line or who had their entire scene cut out of the movie). The book is nearly 800 pages long and is beautifully put together.

Considering that Abrams shows no sign of continuing with their Wacky related books and Topps seems disinterested in Wacky Packages at the moment, this proposed book by Centipede Press may be our best hope to see a comprehensive history of Wacky Packages...

You can contact Jerad at Centipedepress.com at jerad@centipedepress.com and let him know what you think.

Offline Paul_Maul

Re: A 50-Year History of Wacky Packages from Centipede Press?!!
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2015, 11:48:06 AM »
I don't get it. Do they actually produce independent content, or is it one of those things where they re-package web content? How can they just pick a topic and produce a detailed volume about it without being experts in whatever given area is in question?

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2015, 11:50:14 AM »
Or maybe I misunderstand, and it is just a book of pictures. Still, where is the content obtained?

Offline Hungry Jerk Kid

« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2015, 12:28:54 PM »
Paul Maul: If you go to centipedepress.com and click on The Shining book (for example) it should answer your questions. Centipede makes actual books (with words AND pictures)  ;) They do research, conduct interviews, etc. Just like a real publishing house. They are a real publishing house.  I assume they would need some type of clearance from Topps to include images that are under copyright, but if they want to interview Jay or Dave Gross about working for Topps (for example), I imagine they are free to do it (?)

The Shining book (for example) includes older interviews that have appeared in other books as well as new interviews conducted exclusively for the new Shining book. It also contains never-before-seen photographs (both behind the scenes and actual stills of the film) as well as sketches and notes by Stanley Kubrick. To answer your question, I would say that this book got the rights to publish these sketches/photos from the Kubrick estate. The book, in my opinion (and I don't work for Centipede press) is a professionally done, incredibly detailed examination of The Shining (and I consider myself someone who is very knowledgeable about the Shining). I would imagine they could do an equally impressive job on a Wacky Packages book.

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2015, 01:02:38 PM »
Seems odd. I don't understand how a book on Wacky Packages could be financially feasible based on the process you describe.

Offline Hungry Jerk Kid

« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2015, 05:30:03 PM »
Jeez Paul...I thought this would have been good news for the WP community. I guess when Topps and Abrams produce nothing next year or 2017 regarding the 50th anniversary and Centipede decides to put out a beautiful book, you'll say no. Got it! When Paul Argyropoulos and Phil Carpenter were thinking about putting together The Wacky Packages Gallery, did you discourage them? Did you ask them not to do it because YOU couldn't understand how a project like this could be economically feasible to them? What if Centipede is looking to put out a book similar to The Gallery but updated since that book was published in 2000, with contributions from some of the same people in that book? Would that be o.k. with you? That book contained interviews from "experts" and content from people in this forum (and Greg Grant's forum). If you are asking me, I would welcome anybody that might produce something like a book on Wacky Packages even if it lights a fire under Topps' ass and gets them to produce something on their own.

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2015, 05:36:07 PM »
Jeez Paul...I thought this would have been good news for the WP community. I guess when Topps and Abrams produce nothing next year or 2017 regarding the 50th anniversary and Centipede decides to put out a beautiful book, you'll say no. Got it! When Paul Argyropoulos and Phil Carpenter were thinking about putting together The Wacky Packages Gallery, did you discourage them? Did you ask them not to do it because YOU couldn't understand how a project like this could be economically feasible to them? What if Centipede is looking to put out a book similar to The Gallery but updated since that book was published in 2000, with contributions from some of the same people in that book? Would that be o.k. with you? That book contained interviews from "experts" and content from people in this forum (and Greg Grant's forum). If you are asking me, I would welcome anybody that might produce something like a book on Wacky Packages even if it lights a fire under Topps' ass and gets them to produce something on their own.

Why the heck are you getting angry at me? How did I discourage anyone? I just said I didn't understand how it would be feasible. If they are going to use wacky hobby experts to write it, I can see that, though I still don't understand the economics of it. Of course if a good product were available I would buy it.

« Last Edit: December 14, 2015, 05:38:04 PM by Paul_Maul »

Offline Joe G.

« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2015, 05:54:53 PM »
Why the heck are you getting angry at me? How did I discourage anyone? I just said I didn't understand how it would be feasible. If they are going to use wacky hobby experts to write it, I can see that, though I still don't understand the economics of it. Of course if a good product were available I would buy it.

Dave, I think what's he's saying is that the idea sounds awesome and bring it on!  Let them worry about the logistics and let us, the fans, enjoy it!  I for one would love to see this book and I think it would be perfect as a way to kick off the 50th anniversary of Wacky Packs in 2017!

Offline bigtomi

« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2015, 06:20:40 PM »
Wow! I think you are severely misreading what Paul Maul is trying to get across, though I think he cleared it up in his subsequent post.

I actually see where Paul Maul is coming from on this. The idea that anyone (or a group) who is not a WP expert would be able to author a comprehensive, accurate book on the subject seems far fetched. If you were around when the Gallery was discussed, particularly the effort involved in assembling, coordinating and layout of the material, you may recall Paul Arg agonizing over the amount of effort he and Phil put into it and stating that he would never attempt it again. Also, to Paul Maul's point (I think), the sales levels involved here just don't justify a large undertaking to put a book of this nature together. Let's face it: they likely aren't going to sell thousands of these, just like the Gallery has many unsold copies. I'd love to have one, too, I'd probably buy a couple, but I'd be extremely surprised to see it come to fruition and have it be a top-notch product.

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2015, 06:48:29 PM »
Thanks Tom, you have fleshed out very nicely several of the things I found hard to understand about such a project.

Offline dth1971

« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2015, 05:16:10 AM »
So we may see in 2016-2017 a Wacky Packages 50th. Anniversary book? Although with Topps coming out with a Wacky Packages MLB series early 2016, there's no plans yet for a regular Wacky Packages 2016 series (and I can't rule out a possible follow up to MLB Wacky Packages with football related NFL Wacky Packages).

I wonder if the Wacky Packages 50th. Anniversary book could even include many of the never released Wacky Packages entries in rough and painted form - including the never released in 2014 Star Wars Wacky Packages series.

Offline vahsurfer

« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2015, 02:42:22 PM »
With ALLLL The Star Wars Hype - VERRRY surprised the Wacky Star Wars series never made it to press...... just sayin'

Offline Zenergizer

« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2015, 02:57:06 PM »
I love to see something come from this, bring it on! 

Offline MoldRush

« Reply #13 on: December 16, 2015, 06:43:52 PM »
Just my two cents, but the way I see it, the two Phil/Paul WP Handbooks and the Gallery were essentially labor of love projects, attempts to create the ultimate compendium of all technical information pertaining to Wackys.  The two Abrams books were good supplements in terms of highlighting the art and purely visual appeal of vintage Wackys.  So rather than trying to create the ultimate reference yet again, why not focus on the nostalgic angle for an anniversary book?  Anecdotes and recollections from the artists and creators, unusual stories behind specific titles, personal stories from fans, etc.  Back in the early days of Greg's forum a lot of fascinating stories were told - much of that would be worthy of inclusion if it could be researched and recovered (I'm sure some of it comes from collectors who have since dropped out of sight).  Round it out with some new images of latest new vintage finds (wrapper rolls, sheets of uncut/unfolded display boxes, rough sketches, C+D letters, etc.) and ephemera, and I think it could be a really fun read.

I've noticed a sharp increase in the number of books written in the "oral history" format, which I guess is more or less what I'm describing.

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #14 on: December 16, 2015, 07:40:47 PM »
Sounds fantastic! I agree that if a book is to be directed at fans, it may as well be something new. I would include anecdotes about the collecting end of things. Art stories, finds, etc. would be awesome!

Offline drono

« Reply #15 on: December 17, 2015, 02:42:01 PM »
I would probably buy one, but it seems like the way for them to sell more books would be to package it with some sketch cards.  If there were five different sets of sketch cards, there would be forum members who would buy five books to get each set.  To me that just seems silly.  It's almost like buying five bottles of the expensive perfume for your wife so you could get the free lipstick in five different shades.

I have to agree with Paul Maul.  I don't know how a company could make money off the book without selling it for an excessively high price.  I had a friend shoot photos at the Beach Volleyball World Championships in 2007 and package them in a really nice hardbound book with about 100 pages, but the cost was $80 (8 years ago).  I bought one to support him, but he couldn't sell more than a handful, even to the 192 athletes that had participated.  He took a huge loss and hasn't attempted it again.

Doing it out of a labor of love like Paul and Phil may ease any financial loss suffered by the project that a company wouldn't have.  I also don't see Topps giving them rights to print images without forking over some big bucks, despite the fact that it seems to have little interest in the Wacky Packages market anymore.  Their 12 days of Christmas didn't offer discounts on anything in the Wacky Packages section, not that they have anything of interest to most of us anyway.

Offline bigtomi

« Reply #16 on: December 17, 2015, 04:54:10 PM »
With ALLLL The Star Wars Hype - VERRRY surprised the Wacky Star Wars series never made it to press...... just sayin'
IMO, it was simply a question of demand (aka preorders)...there weren't enough to make it financially feasible. The same phrase Paul Maul and I keep using.......just sayin'

Offline vahsurfer

« Reply #17 on: December 18, 2015, 03:41:16 AM »
Kickstart

Offline crackedjerk

« Reply #18 on: December 23, 2015, 09:55:04 AM »
I don't pretend to know anything about the logistics of making a financially feasible book on Wackys, but I would certainly support it by buying one.  I can see how the Gallery would have been tough to make because it had to be so exhaustive about the technical aspects of Wacky items.  Perhaps a book that didn't concern itself with such details would not be as cumbersome to make.  Telling stories from the original creators, business types behind the series, and collectors themselves, along with some nice representative photos might be enough for a cool book that's different enough from what's been done before to appeal to both hard core collectors and casual fans.

Offline crackedjerk

« Reply #19 on: December 23, 2015, 09:56:58 AM »
I received a newsletter from Centipede Press yesterday which included the following:

"Do you have the two Wacky Packages volumes published by Abrams some years back? Wacky Packages published 16 different series of cards from 1967 to 1976. While looking through the two volume set from Abrams, I noticed that they covered series 1-7 in volume 1 and series 8-14 in volume 2, leaving out the two final series, 15 and 16. Anyway, I saw a discussion group about Wacky Packs and wanted to know if any of you would be interested in Centipede Press publishing a book about the 50-year history of Wacky Packs. I don't know what the licensing requirements would be, or if Abrams or someone else already has plans, or what, but it might be fun. I know that there are a lot of Wacky Pack fans out there. Let me know your thoughts. Or if you know that someone is already tackling such a project, let me know that too! Thanks!"

This seems to me like it would be a great idea! I bought a book from Centipede Press (The Shining: Studies in the Horror Film) and found it to be well-researched (it includes never-before-seen photos and interviews with top participants in the film as well as some pretty obscure recollections from actors who had one line or who had their entire scene cut out of the movie). The book is nearly 800 pages long and is beautifully put together.

Considering that Abrams shows no sign of continuing with their Wacky related books and Topps seems disinterested in Wacky Packages at the moment, this proposed book by Centipede Press may be our best hope to see a comprehensive history of Wacky Packages...

You can contact Jerad at Centipedepress.com at jerad@centipedepress.com and let him know what you think.

So was the newsletter you received sent only to you?  Any update from Centipede about its thought process with a possible book?

Offline Hungry Jerk Kid

« Reply #20 on: December 23, 2015, 10:50:52 AM »
As far as I know, the newsletter was only sent to people who have previously bought something from Centipede Press. Jerad (from Centipede) sent me an email thanking me for posting it here. I'll let everybody here know if I hear anything else... :great:

Offline crackedjerk

« Reply #21 on: December 23, 2015, 02:24:19 PM »
As far as I know, the newsletter was only sent to people who have previously bought something from Centipede Press. Jerad (from Centipede) sent me an email thanking me for posting it here. I'll let everybody here know if I hear anything else... :great:

Cool; thanks for keeping us posted! 

Offline WPcollector

« Reply #22 on: January 09, 2016, 06:56:50 AM »
Really wonderful. I wonder if the book will come with any bonus cards. I hope they do it in hardcover.

anything